Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Are you guys Disappointed (want to drop this), Neutral (wait and see), or Excited (can't wait to see more)?
Jan 17, 2013 10:03 PM

Jan 2011
The power of mind reading results in a bad childhood for Kotoura. Children shun her due to her abilities. Kotoura's mother develops neurosis and eventually stops loving her. Her parents divorce because Kotoura reveals their infidelity. Kotoura has to cope with feelings of guilt, abandonment, and eventually loses the light in her eyes (like literally, her eyes are this dull, grey color).

First of all, all the people around her seem to be real bitches (except the grandfather). Put more intellectually, this setup is way too convenient. It just so happens that her friends were not kind enough to forgive Kotoura; it just so happens that her parents were not in a lasting marriage; it just so happened that her mother didn't meet any competent psychiatrists and that she wasn't wise enough to deal with her frustrations. It's not like I'm saying this situation isn't possible. It certainly is believable.

BUT THEN, the director puts in that awful, awful dramatic scream at the sky scene when Kotoura finds out the kitten was taken to a shelter. It was awful unnecessary drama, awful art, and most of all awful dramatic music. (did i mention that scene was awful?)

AND THEN, Kotoura just HAPPENS to meet the guy and the ESP club who value her and treat her as a human. It's like the director wanted to tell a "touching" story, but forgot how to make an actual setting and wanted to go straight to the rom com part.

It strives to be like Toradora with drama, romance, and comedy, but it fails to combine the 3 successfully. This anime feels rushed, and it has a lot to make up for after a bad start.

TL;DR - I like the idea, but I think the director is executing this anime very poorly.

Edit: edited out the thing about Sakurasou because I am certainly biased and I think it's distracting people.

But that's just what I think, I'd like to hear your opinions.

BioPiJan 19, 2013 1:06 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 17, 2013 10:10 PM

Aug 2011
BioPi said:
Also this anime is basically tied with Sakurasou, which it doesn't even deserve to be compared to atm.
Is this real? Am I reading this right now?
Jan 17, 2013 11:19 PM

Dec 2012
it is only 2 eps and it is already more exciting and interesting than sakurasou so fuck off.
Jan 18, 2013 12:18 AM

Nov 2009
tsudecimo said:
it is only 2 eps and it is already more exciting and interesting than sakurasou so fuck off.

Can't we just rate both Sakurasou and Kotoura-san 10/10?

Mind-reading romance =/= Romance between a prodigy and a normal hardworking person

Their both amazing with their own lovely heroines...
Jan 18, 2013 12:23 AM

Dec 2012
i don't think they have much to compare other than the school romance setting which is in hundred of other animes.... the drama part in kotoura is better imo ( and the male mc is better also and thats just a fact)
Jan 18, 2013 12:27 AM
Sep 2011
I think this anime is way better then sakurasou!!
Jan 18, 2013 3:41 AM

Aug 2009
I think the beginning was good, but it was pretty rushed, yeah. I'd like to see it extended to ~3 episodes, or something; that would be a nice introduction of the series.

The transition between drama and rom com went to fast. I'd like to see some kind of build-up, a really nice transition, or something. Background stories seem way too dark for what this rom com seem to be headed, but I still like it. Really nice and interesting story, but sadly it's poorly executed (at least the beginning).

2 episodes this far, so it's way too early to judge it, imo. Anyway, besides from all that I'm really looking forward to watch this show. Definitely one of the best this season. :)
Jan 18, 2013 3:44 AM

Sep 2011
Ok good for you but who gives a crap, if this concerns you so much then write a fucking review instead of making a thread like this, we get stuff like this every day, its annoying.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 18, 2013 4:09 AM

Jan 2012
Stop being so picky and just enjoy the damn show. -.-
Jan 18, 2013 4:49 AM

Jan 2013
@ OP Relax two episodes in it cannot be a romantic anime I feel with such a short amount of episodes to work with unless it needs a second season which I am hopeful if it continues being such a pleasant watch. Even if it continues positive why is it a big deal? I find it ironic your not OK with this but it's suitable with a lazy-ass as Mashiro of Sakurasou with no inclination of a harsh life.

Perhaps your forgetting that the director might want to tell people that even though there's allot of bad things in life there's always hope. For Kotoura-san it's Yoshihisa for the moment and perhaps more later. Let's see how it turns out.

Last thing, placing Sakurasou at the same level as Toradora is hilarious. It does not even register close to Toradora with me.
Jan 18, 2013 4:53 AM

May 2011
I bet you wouldn't make this thread if it wasn't popular.

There's a handful of popular anime that I don't like either, but I have never once questioned the merit behind their success.
Jan 18, 2013 4:59 AM

Aug 2009
Stop disrespecting other people's thoughts. That's just naive. All he's doing is telling people his opinions. There are always people who says stuff like: "OMG, YOU'RE SO FUCKING WRONG!" and shit. That's just silly. Nothing wrong with saying stuff like: "I'd like it better if it was like this and that" etc. Anyway, it's pretty pointless, 'cause it's not like you can change it, but people should still feel free to say whatever, whether a show sucks or is the best thing ever. Everyone's got their own opinion. :P

Anyway, I wouldn't like to compare it with Sakurasou. Too different, imo.
Jan 18, 2013 5:11 AM

May 2011
But here's the thing though. I don't mind if someone gives a negative opinion about a show, I do it quite a bit myself. But when I do, I'm always subtle about it (especially when it has a fairly large fanbase). And even if it isn't intentional, what I see here is an attempt to piss off the fanbase.
Jan 18, 2013 5:54 AM

Oct 2012
sakurasou is certainly good anime, and now you piss me off if you say it's bad.... and now currently i watch this show and i satisfy enough.

Jan 18, 2013 11:31 AM

Jan 2012
kenshin_sama said:
And even if it isn't intentional, what I see here is an attempt to piss off the fanbase.

I wouldn't call this an attempt of such given how he clearly explained why the show was a dissapointment for him without making any offense on the fanbase itself, in fact I think he raised legitimite points in his post: the first few minutes of the first episode is indeed surprising if one approaches this show like any other generic rom-com series, but after a few minutes the drama starts to fall apart bit by bit due to how it does a horrible job at hiding the tailored nature of the drama that tries to add as many "emotional" scenes as possible without not forgetting about keeping things in reasonable measures, thus going too far with leeching on the shock value of the first few minutes. As he said, the scene with the cat taken away was the first one where the drama started being overdone, altough my main gripe with that scene was the woman being asshat for the sake of drama, and it started snowballing from there, with scenes like the horrible, out of place transition to the humour, the protagonist's essentially pointless school transferring due to her still ongoing stubborn bluntness, or the convinient incident with the truck driver. One could say that the show is a good case of "less is more", and this "more" is the main reason why I was dissapointed by the first episode.
Jan 18, 2013 1:59 PM

Jan 2010
Yes, Sakurasou is good. But I don't think it's the best of the season. There's flashy panty shots and constant bouncing breasts. I'm not saying it's bad, but a romantic/drama/ecchi anime certainly can't compare to a romantic/drama. Sure, Kotoura-san has its perverted moments, but it's for comedy purposes, not fan service. Especially when all you see it blurred-out panties and Kotoura under bath water (naked, yes, but fully covered).
And in my honest opinion, Sakurasou is no where near Toradora. I don't know why or how anyone could get that idea. Sakurasou mixes comedy and drama together well, sure, but Toradora is on a completely scale with higher comedy and higher, well-scripted drama that can't even compare to Sakurasou.
In fact, I don't really see a similarity between all three of them (besides the fact that their genres are similar), so I don't understand why Sakurasou and Toradora are used as a comparison to Kotoura-san ..
I do respect the posters opinion, but I think the poster just appears biased towards Sakurasou. If you look at their list, the poster has already rated Sakurasou a 10. Obviously his or her opinion would sway towards that show. Again, I completely respect your opinion (hey, I rated Toradora a 10 so I understand you), but at LEAST give Kotoura-san more time before claiming to be disappointed. Who knows? Maybe it'll redeem itself to you within the next five episodes?
Jan 18, 2013 2:46 PM

Oct 2007
BioPi said:

BUT THEN, the director puts in that awful, awful dramatic scream at the sky scene when Kotoura finds out the kitten was taken to a shelter. It was awful unnecessary drama, awful art, and most of all awful dramatic music. (did i mention that scene was awful?)

What I personally saw in that scene was that she read the mind of the woman that told her the kitten was gone had done something bad to it that made her burst out in that reaction. Maybe kill it, like putting it in a plastic bag and drop it in the river. It's horrible but there are people who do stuff like that, usually the ones you would not expect it from. As you said, if it was just for the kitten being taken to the shelter then the scene was over the top.

Another explanation might be that she finally cracked below all the pressure and stress after the only thing that was keeping her sane was taken away from her.

I might just be reading to much into it though.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jan 18, 2013 3:52 PM

Jun 2011
Surprised I'm not enjoying this series more, considering I loved H2O and they have certain similarities. I think what's holding me back from really enjoying this series is the fact that everything feels rushed. This might be because the series is only supposed to be 12 episodes, but I feel that this would be so much more enjoyable if they'd pulled it out to 24 episodes and paced everything a bit more evenly. So far, we've already been confronted with past trauma of two main characters, and had an open confession.

On the upside, it's cool to see a new twist on the perverted male protagonist. Usually I really dislike this archetype, but the perversion is at least limited to his imagination (for the most part).

Well, it's not a bad show. Just that I feel it would do better if they had more time to develop the story.
GenomaxJan 18, 2013 4:14 PM
'I met many people. We were separated. And then reunited. This tune contains all those feelings.'
- Nanaka Yatsushiro, Myself;Yourself, Episode 13
Jan 18, 2013 5:11 PM

Apr 2011
BioPi said:

I didn't find this scene over the top at all, actually. I think someone stated it already, and I agree, that I got the impression that the old lady was lying to her and had actually killed the kitten in some way instead of taking it to a shelter. I thought this because I am not dense enough to assume that a girl who has gone through much more depressing moments in her life would actually melt down at the thought of a kitten going to a shelter. You missed the point of the scene entirely.

The beginning "heavy drama" was an attempt by the directors to show us how she got to where she was. And I didn't find it over the top or rushed at all - given it's purpose wasn't to continue on. The show is setting up to be a romantic comedy, but with some substance (drama), which is why they put the intro behind the initial depressing and heavier drama. It signals that from here on out you can stop crying because this poor girl's life is getting much better.

I am loving this series so far and I can't wait to watch more.
tenten427Jan 18, 2013 5:39 PM
Jan 18, 2013 6:32 PM

Sep 2012
Walls of texts @@

Hmm... the following will be just my opinion:
It's a little unfair to actually compare Sakurasou and Kotoura-san since Sakurasou aired last season and had show progress I would say (eg. characters and relationships development). Kotoura-san just barely started. @@

If I was to just compare the first 2 episodes of both series, I would choose Kotoura-san over Sakurasou. Imo, the whole part about Kotoura's past had really capture my eyes and heart (Yes, some of you might say it's just some forced drama, but it is a part of the story and you would have to explain it sooner or later, so I don't see a problem to actually begin with it?), and the reason I started watching Sakurasou was actually because of the comedy element (eg. how will this normal boy handles a super genius artist that don't even have common senses).

Maybe it's because of sympathy, but there's no doubt that I like Kotoura :) and Manabe is such an awesome MC! The typical reliable but perverted joker haha xD
Jan 18, 2013 6:58 PM

Aug 2012
I get your points, I sorta had the same thougths about it being convenient the way everyone handled the situation in the first ep, but I don't think it's too big of a deal. They wanted to present the prologue in a concise manner, rather than dragging out her childhood struggles. And that's okay.

While the childhood scenes did have their flaws, and it is rather convenient that she all of the sudden met these new kind-hearted people, we could say that about almost any other anime. Especially of this genre. It happens like that to keep in coherence to the storyline and overall aim of the show.

But since we're talking about easily forgettable flaws, what really peeved me off was the way she handled herself on her first day at the new school. She went through the trouble of transferring, but immediately starts "replying" to people when she hears their thoughts. You'd think after all she'd been through she would learn to either ignore it or give a normal reply based on what the person actually said.

But still, stuff like that won't keep me from enjoying this show. I don't think it wants to pride itself on its technical flawlessness in presenting the circumstances of her condition ;p
Jan 18, 2013 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
I think it's better if we don't compare it to another anime you know?
you compare it to Sakurasou? fuck!
it's completely different animes..

"Duty... There is nothing more precious than that feeling, which makes us think of our friends before ourselves."
Jan 18, 2013 7:08 PM

Oct 2012
BioPi said:
First of all, all the people around her seem to be real bitches (except the grandfather). Put more intellectually, this setup is way too convenient. It just so happens that her friends were not kind enough to forgive Kotoura; it just so happens that her parents were not in a lasting marriage; it just so happened that her mother didn't meet any competent psychiatrists and that she wasn't wise enough to deal with her frustrations.
I agree with this. I can't help but think failed potential, taking the cheap and forced way instead of scripting in more realistic nuances. Actually, I can't imagine how a girl like this wouldn't be filthy rich and involved in some clandestine CIA operation in real life. My point is will there be people who react like every background character does in the show? Hell yeah. But it's not going to be so clear cut that it cheapens the world that we see Kotoura in.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 19, 2013 5:50 AM

Jul 2012
BioPi said:
The power of mind reading results in a bad childhood for Kotoura. Children shun her due to her abilities. Kotoura's mother develops neurosis and eventually stops loving her. Her parents divorce because Kotoura reveals their infidelity. Kotoura has to cope with feelings of guilt, abandonment, and eventually loses the light in her eyes (like literally, her eyes are this dull, grey color).

First of all, all the people around her seem to be real bitches (except the grandfather). Put more intellectually, this setup is way too convenient. It just so happens that her friends were not kind enough to forgive Kotoura; it just so happens that her parents were not in a lasting marriage; it just so happened that her mother didn't meet any competent psychiatrists and that she wasn't wise enough to deal with her frustrations. It's not like I'm saying this situation isn't possible. It certainly is believable.

AND THEN, Kotoura just HAPPENS to meet the guy and the ESP club who value her and treat her as a human. It's like the director wanted to tell a "touching" story, but forgot how to make an actual setting and wanted to go straight to the rom com part.

It strives to be like Sakurasou and Toradora with drama, romance, and comedy, but it fails to combine the 3 successfully. This anime feels rushed, and it has a lot to make up for after a bad start.

TL;DR - I like the idea, but I think the director is executing this anime very poorly. Also this anime is basically tied with Sakurasou, which it doesn't even deserve to be compared to atm.

But that's just what I think, I'd like to hear your opinions.

You are comparing oranges to apples

1) Remember that this is an adaptation from a 4-koma manga
2) How are you disappointed 2 episodes in?

Also why can't you like two series? Are you a twilight fan or something?
Jan 19, 2013 8:12 AM

Mar 2009
You had some good points, but then you said this:

BioPi said:

Also this anime is basically tied with Sakurasou, which it doesn't even deserve to be compared to atm.
MormegilJan 19, 2013 9:28 AM
Jan 19, 2013 8:59 AM
Jan 2013
Elfen Lied
Jan 19, 2013 12:02 PM

Aug 2011
rishardew said:
AlexTheRiot said:
But since we're talking about easily forgettable flaws, what really peeved me off was the way she handled herself on her first day at the new school. She went through the trouble of transferring, but immediately starts "replying" to people when she hears their thoughts. You'd think after all she'd been through she would learn to either ignore it or give a normal reply based on what the person actually said.
THIS X100.

C'mon, you had like 15 years of suffering because of your power and still didn't learn how to deal with it? Bullshit. But, except for that, I'm really liking it.
How do people get so confused by something as simple as this.

Those people were saying one thing that sounded nice, but they were entirely two-faced: Their thoughts betrayed what they really thought about her. She'd rather not bother with someone who acts nice but actually dislikes her. That, and the fact that she just didn't want to let people get close to her anymore.

It's easy. If you're paying attention and can connect dots.
Jan 19, 2013 12:12 PM

Nov 2010
DraconisMarch said:
rishardew said:
AlexTheRiot said:
THIS X100.

C'mon, you had like 15 years of suffering because of your power and still didn't learn how to deal with it? Bullshit. But, except for that, I'm really liking it.

Those people were saying one thing that sounded nice, but they were entirely two-faced: Their thoughts betrayed what they really thought about her. She'd rather not bother with someone who acts nice but actually dislikes her. That, and the fact that she just didn't want to let people get close to her anymore.

Yes but she replied to their thoughts. She could have just said stay away, I hate you, or ignored them. But she replied to their thoughts having them think that she was creepy and figured out her powers quickly which led to her being seen as a monster. If she would have just been mean to them without replying then she would have just been seen as a bitch or a loser not a monster.

Since showing people that she can read thoughts usually gets her in trouble and harassed, I would have thought that she would find a way to hide that. Especially in school.
Jan 19, 2013 1:19 PM

Aug 2010
I'm loving this show so far.
Jan 19, 2013 7:39 PM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
DraconisMarch said:
rishardew said:
AlexTheRiot said:
THIS X100.

Yes but she replied to their thoughts. She could have just said stay away, I hate you, or ignored them. But she replied to their thoughts having them think that she was creepy and figured out her powers quickly which led to her being seen as a monster. If she would have just been mean to them without replying then she would have just been seen as a bitch or a loser not a monster.

Since showing people that she can read thoughts usually gets her in trouble and harassed, I would have thought that she would find a way to hide that. Especially in school.

EXACTLY..thankyou.

Lol can't pay attention and connect dots...okay.
Jan 20, 2013 1:25 AM

Nov 2007
Sorry to say this, but 80% are excited about this anime. I like Sakurasou. But this is the only other anime (alongside Chihayafuru) that I watch during my work. Yeah, I know I am slacking, but that's how much excited I am about this anime.

Anyways, I am disappointed in myself to having to read this thread, because it's not worth it. I am glad that you found the anime bad and hopefully you won't watch it for here on. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 20, 2013 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
It's my favorite of current season.

And quite frankly, I haven't enjoyed an anime this much in quite some time already.

DraconisMarch said:
BioPi said:
Is this real? Am I reading this right now?

the fact that the 2 are being compared is ridiculous enough as it is....

I mean... Where's the similarity?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2013 3:54 AM

Nov 2009
In general this is a poor season but this is one of the diamonds in the rough that I've found so far.

I absolutely adore Kotoura and it's one of the few of the season I actually look forward to coming out.

It's AOTS for me at this moment at least.
Jan 20, 2013 6:11 AM
Mar 2010
Sakurasou is good but Kotoura-san is much better.
I know that the transitions from comedy to drama is a bit uh...forced(imo) but we've gotta remember that this is a 4 panel manga.
But one thing is clear though : Manabe is way better than whats-his-name(I don't even remember his name lol) from Sakurasou.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 20, 2013 10:48 AM
Jul 2012
kotoura san, sakurasou, both are great and interesting animme to watch, i hope they keep making anime like those. I can't wait to see more from these two.
Jan 20, 2013 6:37 PM

Oct 2012
DraconisMarch said:
rishardew said:
AlexTheRiot said:
THIS X100.

well, yeah, but relationships don't start right away. Kotoura left a bad impression with her depressing attitude, which was understandable considering what she had been through. People made remarks on that in their heads, but her replies to those thoughts were the triggers to what degraded her to be a monster, and getting bullied throughout the school. I mean, they probably would have left her alone if she hadn't replied like that, but due to people realizing her powers, that led to harassment. She should have realized that replying to people's thoughts were the main causes of her problems. The reason her old friends hated her was because she told everyone their secrets that were only kept in thought. Along with that, people feared her reading their minds, which led them to stay away. And knowing her powers, led to discrimination. If she already knew that and replied to them because she wanted them to stay away, then I think she just made the situation worse than it should have been, because of her way of dealing with that. That's what led her to being a "monster".
Jan 21, 2013 12:43 AM

Nov 2009
Logax said:
What I personally saw in that scene was that she read the mind of the woman that told her the kitten was gone had done something bad to it that made her burst out in that reaction. Maybe kill it, like putting it in a plastic bag and drop it in the river. It's horrible but there are people who do stuff like that, usually the ones you would not expect it from. As you said, if it was just for the kitten being taken to the shelter then the scene was over the top.

Another explanation might be that she finally cracked below all the pressure and stress after the only thing that was keeping her sane was taken away from her.

I might just be reading to much into it though.

I think the 2nd one is alot more likely, after everyone abandoning her (no idea about her grandfather, maybe he passed away?) (EDIT: I shouldn't have skipped the opening ._.), the last thing that could have kept her company was taken away from her, this was pretty much the final additional small burden that made her situation unbearable for her.

IntroverTurtle said:

She had just arrived at the school, first thought she hears from the teacher is that she's going to be a pain, so I guess that maybe she assumed that everything would be the same in that school, so there's no reason to hide her ability, and so, in a way to get people to just leave her alone, she replies directly to their thoughts...I guess...

If she tried to act normal/tried to hide her ability, some maybe would try to get close to her, but, since she can't control the ability, it would be possibility that eventually people would find out about her ability, and the biggest thing that she doesn't want to have to deal with is being abandoned again.
ezodagromJan 21, 2013 3:57 PM
Jan 21, 2013 1:07 AM

Jan 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
DraconisMarch said:
rishardew said:
AlexTheRiot said:
THIS X100.

And do you really think things would have been better for her if they thought she was a bitch rather than a monster? They would have still bullied her, though I would like to add that they didn't really start bullying her until that stuck up martial arts bitch pulled that shit in the second episode. People mostly ignored her up to that point. They would occasionally think bad things about her and gossip but they weren't actively bullying her.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
Jan 21, 2013 1:32 AM

Jan 2011
ezodagrom said:

If she tried to act normal/tried to hide her ability, some maybe would try to get close to her, but, since she can't control the ability, it would be possibility that eventually people would find out about her ability, and the biggest thing that she doesn't want to have to deal with is being abandoned again.
THIS.
remember, in the Kotoura's past, it seems Kotoura had actually try to hide her ability and make close friends. In the end, the close friends find out her ability and dont want to be her friend again.
Jan 21, 2013 1:52 AM

Nov 2009
AlexTheRiot said:
IntroverTurtle said:
DraconisMarch said:
rishardew said:
AlexTheRiot said:
THIS X100.

EXACTLY..thankyou.

Lol can't pay attention and connect dots...okay.

What's the point in putting in the effort to hiding it again when she already tried in middle school? Her friends eventually found out then left her, so much for hiding it and being with friends that ended up not understanding how she is unable to control it...
Jan 21, 2013 1:55 AM

Nov 2012
lychanking said:
IntroverTurtle said:
DraconisMarch said:
rishardew said:
AlexTheRiot said:
THIS X100.

And do you really think things would have been better for her if they thought she was a bitch rather than a monster? They would have still bullied her, though I would like to add that they didn't really start bullying her until that stuck up martial arts bitch pulled that shit in the second episode. People mostly ignored her up to that point. They would occasionally think bad things about her and gossip but they weren't actively bullying her.

In the first place, she shouldn't have responded to anyone if she's trying to shun people. Like going public with the "I can read all your minds" ability wouldn't attract attention to herself? That's just downright stupid. Eventually she's going to get people who want to use her powers, like the ESP club. Although the character who decided to do that, conveniently felt guilty about it and gave up on the idea of taking advantage on Kotoura. The entire episode still happened because she ATTRACTED attention with her 'powers'.

If she would just shut up, or even act like some mean person who will eat your guts out if you come close to her, things would go even more smoothly for her, unless some rare goofballs who aren't afraid of empty threats comes around and tries to get close to her, this plan is pretty much foolproof.

So rather than going around the class and pointing out people's thoughts on purpose, which is not a very logical thing to do if you want to avoid the public's eyes, she should just sit in a corner and yell vulgarities.

With that said, I'm not saying I hate the show because of this flaw. I'm still watching it while being neutral about it.
Jan 21, 2013 1:59 AM

Nov 2012
furuuru said:
ezodagrom said:

THIS.
remember, in the Kotoura's past, it seems Kotoura had actually try to hide her ability and make close friends. In the end, the close friends find out her ability and dont want to be her friend again.

So after that she decided she should be alone and not make friends. And how is showing off her ability in a new school going to help her do that?
Jan 21, 2013 2:28 AM

Nov 2009
PronedToManga said:
furuuru said:
ezodagrom said:

THIS.

So after that she decided she should be alone and not make friends. And how is showing off her ability in a new school going to help her do that?

If she were to avoid saying anything and just kept quiet about her mind-reading, I don't think that will work because people will still continue to bother or verbally abuse her in some way because of the rumors. Not everyone has a mindset of ignoring or isolating the student in question because of the rumors. Rumors pique interest and can either attract negativity or positivity, so instead of staying silent and waiting for the students to gather around her, asking and making fun of her by exaggerating the rumors even further, she gave everyone the impression that she can really read the minds of others confirming that she is some kind of freak. People don't like going near freaks, so in my opinion I think that's the best way to isolate her from everyone else rather than staying silent throughout her introduction. She made sure everyone understood that she was a freak from her talk-backs and aggression. You've got to put her personality and past traumas into consideration.

It's like confirming the curiosity of a skill when the skill is still in question. If the skill is still in question, then it would probably get more attention. This is what i think ~
Jan 21, 2013 2:37 AM
Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:

This. Besides, she is offensive to others: apparently they are scared of mind reading, yet she tells what she read, which is rude and offensive even if it's her way of warning. Also nothing wrong with having betrayal thoughts unless they actually harm her. It has been always her who offends people at first. (But this is why I like her. I hope she keeps entertaining me.)
Jan 21, 2013 5:33 AM

Nov 2012
MagicFlier said:
PronedToManga said:
furuuru said:
ezodagrom said:

THIS.

If she were to avoid saying anything and just kept quiet about her mind-reading, I don't think that will work because people will still continue to bother or verbally abuse her in some way because of the rumors. Not everyone has a mindset of ignoring or isolating the student in question because of the rumors. Rumors pique interest and can either attract negativity or positivity, so instead of staying silent and waiting for the students to gather around her, asking and making fun of her by exaggerating the rumors even further, she gave everyone the impression that she can really read the minds of others confirming that she is some kind of freak. People don't like going near freaks, so in my opinion I think that's the best way to isolate her from everyone else rather than staying silent throughout her introduction. She made sure everyone understood that she was a freak from her talk-backs and aggression. You've got to put her personality and past traumas into consideration.

It's like confirming the curiosity of a skill when the skill is still in question. If the skill is still in question, then it would probably get more attention. This is what i think ~

The problem is, she doesn't want people to think she's a freak/ monster.

She only wanted people to ignore her existence so that she doesn't have to go through all that "abandoning" stuff all over again. Episode 2 shows that she can probably handle bad-mouthing or insulting only to a certain (small) extent. If she stayed inconspicuous, rumours will die eventually. On the contrary, if she flaunts her power in the way of responding to others' thoughts, she'll garner even more vicious insults, hence backfiring on her.
Jan 21, 2013 7:46 AM

Nov 2009
PronedToManga said:

From her point of view, there is no reason to hide her ability, people will find out about it eventually (she can't control her ability, it's not easy for her to ignore others thoughts and she could slip up eventually), and when they do, their reactions probably would have been worse than them getting to know about the ability right at the beginning with her replying directly to others' thoughts.

eminagnam said:
This. Besides, she is offensive to others: apparently they are scared of mind reading, yet she tells what she read, which is rude and offensive even if it's her way of warning. Also nothing wrong with having betrayal thoughts unless they actually harm her. It has been always her who offends people at first. (But this is why I like her. I hope she keeps entertaining me.)

When she was a kid, she didn't know that her ability wasn't normal, and she didn't know that she was doing a bad thing.
In middle school, it's not exactly clear what happened though. Like MagicFlier said, it appears that she actually tried to hide her ability and tried to make friends (she wouldn't have made those friends if she was always replying to people's thoughts), but eventually they found out about her ability and abandoned her, and so, she felt that there's no point in hiding her ability, people will find out about it eventually, so she uses it to reply rudely to others to get them to leave her alone.
Jan 21, 2013 7:49 AM

Nov 2010
MagicFlier said:
tsudecimo said:

Can't we just rate both Sakurasou and Kotoura-san 10/10?

Mind-reading romance =/= Romance between a prodigy and a normal hardworking person

Their both amazing with their own lovely heroines...

+1
Jan 21, 2013 8:14 AM

Nov 2012
ezodagrom said:
From her point of view, there is no reason to hide her ability, people will find out about it eventually (she can't control her ability, it's not easy for her to ignore others thoughts and she could slip up eventually), and when they do, their reactions probably would have been worse than them getting to know about the ability right at the beginning with her replying directly to others' thoughts.

There were already rumours which were spread around the class, or even the entire school about her "abnormality". So if they do find out that the rumours are in fact the truth about Kotoura, how would that result in full-scale shock? Considering they already, in a way, know about her skill initially.

Take for instance, a rumour about Classmate A and Classmate B being in a relationship was to be circulated, and five days later Classmate A openly revealed that he was indeed dating Classmate B. People would just accept it with a nod and probably comment with a "Ha, I knew it!" and not be going wild about not expecting this confession.

Therefore, if Kotoura actually hides her ability (it doesn't seem hard NOT to comment about people's thoughts) I think it would give her a better result. The fact that her friend found out the truth about her was because they are her friends. It's not easy to get caught by people who are not by your side almost every minute. If she was to just keep quiet...
Jan 21, 2013 8:52 AM
Dec 2012
ezodagrom said:
[When she was a kid, she didn't know that her ability wasn't normal, and she didn't know that she was doing a bad thing.
In middle school, it's not exactly clear what happened though. Like MagicFlier said, it appears that she actually tried to hide her ability and tried to make friends (she wouldn't have made those friends if she was always replying to people's thoughts), but eventually they found out about her ability and abandoned her, and so, she felt that there's no point in hiding her ability, people will find out about it eventually, so she uses it to reply rudely to others to get them to leave her alone.

That's her personal problem. Fact is she has always offended people intentionally or unintentionally.
Jan 21, 2013 9:00 AM

Nov 2010
ezodagrom said:
She had just arrived at the school, first thought she hears from the teacher is that she's going to be a pain, so I guess that maybe she assumed that everything would be the same in that school, so there's no reason to hide her ability, and so, in a way to get people to just leave her alone, she replies directly to their thoughts...I guess...

Yes but this hasn't been the first school that she's been at. She's known about humans dark side since she was a child, and how they act when they know her power, why should she think anything is different.
Like I said you can still have no contact with people but not be called a monster. If she said something rude and mean they would have left her alone, revealing that she can read minds gets her looked at with disgust and contempt, people will call her a monster and will curse her in their mind whenever they see her.

Yeah that's if she isn't mean. If she was mean maybe even beat up a girl I don't think anyone would try to get close to her,and she wouldn't be called a monster. She's supposed to be a girl who's life was ruined because she has that power. Why would she keep on revealing that she could use it.

lychanking said:
Yes I do, if she has so much mental scars about being called a monster and being abandonded and looked upon with disgust from her power. I think being made fun of for being mean or maybe they wouldn't even go up to her if she was so mean would be better than being looked at with the disgust and contempt the same thing other people have looked at her with even her parents. And if they know about her power then their thoughts will change to hide them or to come up with even worse things that they wouldn't say in real life.

You are just proving my point, all it takes is one person to notice and the whole school will know. She is in school like 6 hours a day 6 days a week, that's a long time to be hearing rumors and hearing thoughts about how she is a monster. And most of the time the person who is mean is ignored, not bullied too.

MagicFlier said:
What's the point in putting in the effort to hiding it again when she already tried in middle school? Her friends eventually found out then left her, so much for hiding it and being with friends that ended up not understanding how she is unable to control it...
Maybe to not be called a monster. They didn't show us her trying to hide it, I believe we've only seen her as a child when she revealed it willy nilly then in highschool. She doesn't need friends then, like I said being mean and having no friends is different from being called a monster and having everyone talk about you in their mind knowing you can hear them.
Which one do you think she has more mental scars from, having no friends or her parents leaving becuase she could read their thoughts.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

300 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

457 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

152 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.