Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 20, 2008 6:55 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was really interesting,nice storyline.
Just what you'd expect from an episode based off of Sherlock Holmes.
It episode made me really sad, with Finnian hugging the dog.
I'm guessing he was abused?
I hope we get more background on him in the next episode.
(Anyone else notice that Ciel is always getting tied up or chained down?)
Nov 22, 2008 12:20 PM

Aug 2008
Ghost dog? Stupid, and not clever. I'm pretty sure I saw the same mystery on Scooby Doo when I was little. And why didn't Meirin tell Ciel about what she saw? I know she's stupid, but...really?
Nov 22, 2008 2:16 PM

Aug 2008
Not as exciting as previous episodes :(
Nov 22, 2008 3:52 PM

Jun 2007
It looks as if Sebastian hates dogs because hes one himself or something...

After the last two episodes, this one was meh.

Woof
Nov 22, 2008 6:52 PM

Oct 2007
Seems we are into the fillers...

this episdode wasnt as good as the others, but nice to see little glimpses of backstory on Finny in there.
Nov 22, 2008 9:56 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
Ghost dog? Stupid, and not clever. I'm pretty sure I saw the same mystery on Scooby Doo when I was little.
You've got to be kidding me. Have you really never heard of The Hound of the Baskervilles? This episode could almost be called "Hound of the Barymores."

Oh, and I knew something was suspicious about that maid as soon as Sebastian gave her that look when they arrived.

EDIT: Just remembered, it was kinda freaky when Sebastian pulled that dog's skull out.
JadeMatrixNov 23, 2008 7:52 AM
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Nov 23, 2008 1:34 AM

Dec 2007
It felt as if this episode didn't have enough action like the other previous ones. But I guess it was enjoyable since Finny had time in the spotlight
Nov 23, 2008 2:01 AM

Jan 2008
Someone noticed Meilin switching her pyjamas to dress?

I think Sebastian was firstly reffering to Ciel being Queen's dog. And God, never expected than any of three clumsy servant would have Tragic Past or something...
Nov 23, 2008 7:17 AM

Apr 2008
Ciel barking was cute.
(:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2008 10:28 AM

Dec 2007
WOW I hate dogs and love cats too! Great ep BTW.
Reality...
is what we make it to be.

Nov 23, 2008 1:04 PM

Jun 2008
I love it when Ciel says "woof". ^_^
Nov 23, 2008 2:42 PM

Mar 2008
myexodus said:

Nov 23, 2008 3:12 PM

Apr 2007
Yeah, Ciel's bark was just too cute! I had to rewatch that scene plenty of times. XD

Btw, I have the suspicion that this maid is male. o_O She is really flatchested, doesn't swim with the others and the little (must-be-gay) Finny seems to like her/him. :P
And who is that naked guy?! A twin brother? He seems to resemble the maid.

I'm a dog lover so I didn't like how most of the dogs were dirty cruel beasts, but the loyal one saved the day... too bad it died... I hoped Finny would adopt it.
Nov 23, 2008 3:30 PM

Aug 2008
Ahh the fillers...Well, it was to be expected seeing as the manga is only about 3 chapters ahead at this time.

But at least it was drawing its story from more Victorian Literature. I find it so weird how its written by a japanese woman but all about the history of where I'm from :P
Nov 23, 2008 3:52 PM

Oct 2008
canis said:

I'm a dog lover so I didn't like how most of the dogs were dirty cruel beasts, but the loyal one saved the day... too bad it died....

thats how dogs originally were they were wild animals its just that nowadays theyve become much more tame people seem to forget how they were originally...

also because of above quote its part of why I liked this ep it had a feel of how dogs used to be wild, dirty, mean, and wild though they were tamed...

Wonder what else is going to happen with Finny especially because of that flashback we had during the ep

and Ciel needs to learn how to bark... not like some poser trash rap artist trying to bark but have an actual decent bark made me cringe but that wasnt quite meant to be an actual bark as much as it was to be used for people to go "oh how cute" lol so it did what it was supposed to

also seriously Ciel has some serious masachism issues always liking to be confined its amusing to see

Wonder how theyre going to go about the hound though hope it turns out to be good
Nov 23, 2008 6:40 PM

Jul 2008
Weakest episode so far, hope it get better soon, 3/5
Nov 24, 2008 1:13 AM

Aug 2008
I like this episode. Built enough mystery towards the next ep.
*Upgrade rating*
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Nov 24, 2008 1:53 AM
Oct 2008
Finally a episode that didnt throw missplaces humor in serious situations, great storyline as well although i have a pretty good guess on who this demon dog is and that being angelas brother although that is just a guess lol
Nov 24, 2008 6:51 AM

Apr 2008
I kind of liked this one =) Finny pulling out the trunk was O_o
Seems he has some deep background story...

Nov 24, 2008 11:02 AM

Oct 2008
Never expected for Finny to have a tragic past. I think he was kind of an experiment or something.
Nov 24, 2008 6:35 PM

Aug 2007
Oooh I liked this one. Can't wait to see how it concludes.
Poor Finny. :(
Nov 27, 2008 1:34 AM

Nov 2007
wow this was quite the interesting episode =D, can't wait to see the real face of the 'demon dog' and Angela's real motives ^^
Nov 28, 2008 1:44 PM

Apr 2007
About Ciel's barking: I just rewatched the second episode and there he also barks once. o_O It wasn't just for the doggy-episode, but it seems to be a habit of his. XD So cu~te!
Nov 28, 2008 4:10 PM

Mar 2008
wow. 0_0 I really didn't expect one of the three clumsy servants to have a horrific past - and I still can't decide whether or not I'm happy about it :/

but this ep managed to keep the dark and actually freakin' creepy (when all the townspeople started going: The cat goes "meow, meow" gah~ I almost ran away from my computer screen xD) elements from the Jack the Ripper arc without putting in random comedy relief.. but I liked it ^^ I was expecting another fluffy ep like 3 but it didn't turn out that way.. also like the parallels between the dogs and Sebastian and Ciel; trying to figure out whether Sebastian hates dogs because Ciel reminds him of a dog or because he reminds himself of a dog..

Also, has anyone noticed how Ciel is really really bad at "Who dunnit?"? I mean, he gets Jack the Ripper wrong first time and now he's got 'the Demon Dog' wrong xDD Love to Ciel and the show but it just makes me chuckle xD no one should trust his first judgement xD
Nov 29, 2008 7:11 AM

Apr 2008
Lol i understand Sebastian, i love cats and i hate dogs XD
And Ciel's bark was really cute *_*

Nov 29, 2008 11:47 AM

May 2008
At first this seemed like watching a Cartoon Network show... the ending seemed intriguing though, can't wait to see what happens.

Ah.. Dogs are my most hated animals too but this doesn't mean I want to see them suffer :(
Nov 29, 2008 12:51 PM

Aug 2007
DarkShines said:

Ah.. Dogs are my most hated animals too but this doesn't mean I want to see them suffer :(

My sentiments exactly T.T
Nov 30, 2008 2:05 PM
Mar 2008
I saved that *BARK* as one of the best moments in Kuroshitsuji so far :D It's just awesome. And poor Sebastian, having to put up with dogs like this... So he's a cat person, interesting!
Dec 1, 2008 12:18 AM

Nov 2007
good episode. im guessing the white haired naked guy outside is the demon dog and she controls or is like him.

also i loved the woof part that ciel did. the only thing that would make it better is if Sebastian "meowed" to follow it.
Dec 3, 2008 1:05 AM

Jun 2008
average episode.It looks like Finny have a tragic past.
Dec 6, 2008 9:23 AM

Sep 2008
Woof! <3 Ciel was just adorable.

This episode has made me very curious about Finny's past; that one scene looked kinda sad. It was an okay episode, otherwise. Well, onto the next one!
Jan 31, 2009 5:21 AM

Feb 2008
Ooo. Hound of the Baskervilles episode.

I fail to see why people think it's childish. Yes it's overused in mystery series like Scooby Doo and such but it's one of those English classics. Even if the Baskervilles is just a novel there is a prominent superstition over here in England of such creatures called Demon Dogs.

Mkay. I enjoyed it anyway. "Woof"
Jan 31, 2009 7:37 AM

Apr 2007
Love your avatar! *_*d
Jan 31, 2009 7:46 AM

Feb 2008
canis said:
Love your avatar! *_*d
If you're talking about me, then thank you.
Crossdressing Ciel is pure crack.
Jan 31, 2009 10:38 AM

Apr 2007
Yes, I'm talking about you. ^^

I love the characters of this show, but especially Ciel. He is the perfect gloomey but smart little boy that you just have to love! ^o^
Feb 1, 2009 1:13 PM

Feb 2008
canis said:

I love the characters of this show, but especially Ciel. He is the perfect gloomey but smart little boy that you just have to love! ^o^
I agree, he's giving me a shoutacon. Not good.
May 16, 2009 11:46 PM
Jun 2008
loved the 'woof', they always gotta chuck in some animal sound :P
anyone notice how so far theres always a decoy of some sort that lets the case drag onto another ep to find out the real person behind everything?
still interesting thou, and this anime is rather addicting ><;
Jun 13, 2009 10:10 PM

Nov 2007
crazy_eights said:
good episode. im guessing the white haired naked guy outside is the demon dog and she controls or is like him.

also i loved the woof part that ciel did. the only thing that would make it better is if Sebastian "meowed" to follow it.

LOL! Sebastian meowing would have been awesome!

Okay, so I do like the "Hounds of Baskerville" reference, very much keeps in with the English tribute that the series is turning out to be. I was a tad confused though: Did Sebastian really rip out that dog's skull? I honestly couldn't tell. It looked like he just pulled it from its mouth, especially as it seemed that he took it out head part and not mouth part first. Did that confuse the heck outta anyone else? Maybe it was just to show the size difference of the dog's jaw and the skull's jaw and Sebastian already had the skull? That was quite unclear and should have been caught by the director.

Ah, and it looks like Finny spent time in an asylum. It was only in the mid to late 1900s that attention was drawn to the fact that those deemed "insane" were being horribly, and I stress the horribly, mistreated in institutions. So, I have no clue what illness he would be deemed as having specifically, but I'm betting he was institutionalized at some point. It's an issue that would fit in nicely with the timeline and atmosphere that's being setup in the show.
Jun 18, 2009 6:26 AM

Apr 2009
A strong Sherlock Holmes vibe xP
I've always liked Finny x3 (and his eyes, omg) He was so cute when he stopped those dogs. He seems to have a pretty dark past...abuse? Or some creepy experiments... And that poor dog Dx -sob- I hate animal abuse >.<

stjimmywriter said:
(Anyone else notice that Ciel is always getting tied up or chained down?)

I know xD
CenedessJun 18, 2009 6:32 AM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 1, 2009 11:56 AM

Aug 2008
It was an average episode. They did a good job keeping the dark and creepy aura, though.

I feel sorry for Finny, he almost made me cry when he was hugging the dead dog =( Did somebody else thought of Len from Vocaloid when looking at him? XD

crazy_eights said:
the only thing that would make it better is if Sebastian "meowed" to follow it.
I need to see that, really.

Aug 8, 2009 6:06 AM

Jan 2009
o_O a "Hound of the Baskervilles" episode. not that bad. Sebastian really hates dogs.
And Ciel got the wrong criminal. again =))
crazy_eights said:

that would have been insanely hilarious!! lol

Sep 19, 2009 2:53 PM

Jun 2008
This episode felt like something out of Scooby Doo.
Sep 20, 2009 4:47 PM

May 2008
Sebastian is a dog in denial.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 27, 2009 5:49 AM

Jul 2009
yamazaki_san said:
Never expected for Finny to have a tragic past. I think he was kind of an experiment or something.

yeah he's always so cheerful. I didnt even consider him to have skeletons in his closet.I can't wait to learn about his past. Didn't realize he was so strong.
overall good episode and those towns people were SICK, period. I can understand them being superstitious but please, how they suddenly flipped a 180 and went after the village leader. They were so easily swayed by the town leader and weren't very remorseful at all, they just blamed him (whoops that kids dead because you told us to kill him). That town is a sad case, and it seems like they'll get away with it.

I did like how the story at the end further hinted at why Sebastian hates dogs.
Oh and merin's swimsuit was cute.
Oct 3, 2009 4:06 PM

Aug 2009
This episode made me sad. I hate animal cruelty D:

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Oct 22, 2009 5:57 AM

May 2009
Gaia said:
myexodus said:

me too
Dec 12, 2009 9:46 AM

Aug 2008
Gaia said:
myexodus said:

Dec 18, 2009 3:05 PM

Apr 2009
really liked this episdoe. so sebastian is a cat'lover after all. though i'm not sure why he hates dogs, becasue he feels that he's like one?? I hope to get a bit of clarification in the next or some later episode. can't wait to watch the next.
and lol when ciel said 'woof' right after he found out sebastian ahates dogs. lol
Jan 23, 2010 7:29 AM

Aug 2009
I guess there was a Devil Dog afterall, and that's the naked man outside. I think that maid girl is hiding something. Also, what does that mean when that town lord was rubbing his maid's leg as if she was his master? That maid is so suspicious!

This episode was an okay episode. It reminded me of Scooby Doo, lmao. Solving the mystery behind the the Devil Dog's case, lol. Plus, we got a back story of Finny. I wonder what happened to him. Seems to be that they used him as a testing experiment or something.

Also, I guess we now know that Sebastian is a cat lover. :( I hate cats but love dogs. :( Ciel saying "Bark" to Sebastian was just epic win aswell.
Mar 1, 2010 6:09 PM

Jan 2010
i loved when Ceil barked and didn't any one notice meilin's eyes? they were just like Sebastian? could she be a demon also?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

nehnehneji - Oct 2, 2008

215 by yami-no-tenshii »»
Yesterday, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 25, 2009

98 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:55 AM

Poll: » Favorite Servant?

RuuryMercury - Jun 24, 2015

4 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:34 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 17, 2009

85 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

70 by Sun_Chan »»
May 5, 2:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.