Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
BTOOOM!
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 10, 2012 8:31 PM

Nov 2008
Hey so I recently just found this anime and when I tried to show it to a friend, he said it was a rip off of the hunger games. Can anyone tell me, without too many spoilers, how they're different?
Dec 10, 2012 8:35 PM

Oct 2012
In that case, Mirai Nikki is also a 'rip-off'.

Besides, just tell your friend about Battle Royale if your friend thinks the Hunger Games is 'original'.

Also, Btoom! is about being forced to fight inside a MMO about chucking grenades if that helps.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 10, 2012 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
Every death game is a rip-off of every other death. It doesn't matter, what matters is that BTOOOM is bad.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 10, 2012 8:40 PM

Dec 2009
I wouldn't say Btooom! is a rip-off.
Actually if possible I would love to say that nothing is a "rip-off" because then you could almost call all the anime stereotypes rip off's.

But anyways,
Btooom! is real life survival game based on a video game.

and The Hunger Games is this:
"As punishment for a past rebellion against the Capitol, in which a 13th district was destroyed, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected by an annual lottery to participate in the Hunger Games, an event in which the participants (or "tributes") must fight to the death in an outdoor arena controlled by the Capitol, until only one individual remains"
Dec 10, 2012 8:52 PM

Nov 2011
Post-Josh said:
Every death game is a rip-off of every other death. It doesn't matter, what matters is that BTOOOM is bad.

for a death game show, people dont seem to die in BTOOOM, except the ugly characters. Also, the animator obviously has no idea how bombs work.
The Art of Eight
Dec 10, 2012 9:02 PM

Nov 2008
haha so far what im getting from this is that its not a great anime?
Dec 10, 2012 9:03 PM

Oct 2012
animetyphoon88 said:

Watched first couple of episodes, wasn't my cup of tea....

Not trying to say you shouldn't watch it, but just check it out, never know, you may like it.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 10, 2012 9:04 PM

Jul 2012
the hunger games is less exciting than Btoom cause btoom at least has 5 minutes of action every 20 minutes. Also its more of a call of duty fused with lord of the flys.
Dec 10, 2012 9:30 PM

Sep 2012
never even seen or heard of Btooom but i can say with no bias whatsoever that the hunger games is the biggest pile of shit ive ever had the displeasure of watching, and ive seen some fucking shitty movies.
and lol at saying 'rip off of hunger games'
give him a slap and make him read these summaries and then see if he still says hunger games isnt a rip off.

The Condemned
Battle Royale
The Running Man
Dec 10, 2012 11:51 PM

Aug 2012
dankickyou said:
Also, the animator obviously has no idea how bombs work.

Ahaha, yeah, this^
Dec 11, 2012 10:22 AM

Jul 2012
Psh. Survival shows. It's hard to make them seem different. XD

Hunger Games is less exciting IMO. BTOOOM has more action and gore. =P
Dec 12, 2012 6:20 PM

Jun 2007
Hunger Games is about kids randomly being chosen by the government to fight to the death with primitive weapons and there can only be one winner (end kind of changed the rules though). BTOOOM is about people of any age being sent to an Island becuse someone has a grudge on them. They fight with different types of bombs. Their goal in this game is to kill and collect a set number of stones that are located in other play's arms. This means there can be multiple winners.

FYI. Hunger Games was an almost direct rip off of Battle Royale.
Dec 13, 2012 3:19 AM

Mar 2010
animetyphoon88 said:

Well ive read / seen both of them. Sorry i havent read Battle Royale though. All i can say is that if you like survival, you should like both. Also Btooom is anime/manga so some kind of unlogicness is to be expected (as mentioned above, lucky avoiding of deadly bombs etc, but i like when characters are in one piece anyway, don't like it when they'd only have 1 leg or 1 eye, lol so i don't mind it them being lucky).

Hunger Games main lead is female, Btooom's is male. Therefore Hunger Games has more romance mentioned, more feelings described. Btooom has more manly desires and action. Hunger games has the part where it actually told how the main character actually tries to survive and hunt the prey, in Btooom they just get some packages and fight things off if needed.

Also Hunger games, being a movie and a book that is, more close to humanity than anime /lol/, had more human compassion, as when a certain person died.. I don't think btooom will ever give that.

meepsheep said:
Psh. Survival shows. It's hard to make them seem different. XD

Hunger Games is less exciting IMO. BTOOOM has more action and gore. =P

Yeah need to agree with this. :D

Anyways, if you like action then go for it. Btooom is exciting to watch :D
LylaazDec 13, 2012 3:24 AM
Dec 13, 2012 3:30 AM

Sep 2011
I'll be honest, i didnt really like the hunger games, mainly cause it felt by the book especially in the characters cause i had no emotional attachment to them cause to me they came off as the same characters we have seen in so many movies. It wasnt bad but i did not enjoy it at all

So by default btoooom kind of has more chance of winning due to that

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 13, 2012 3:32 AM

Sep 2012
lol Btooom! clearly wins. I'm far too weeaboo to actually enjoy anything from my own country.
Dec 13, 2012 8:42 AM

Feb 2009
Admittedly, I dropped Btoom! because it just did not appeal to me in the least, but I really enjoyed The Hunger Games, they were good books. I did read Battle Royale and enjoyed that as well, but I do not find it the rip-off that a ton of other people accuse it of being.
Dec 13, 2012 2:09 PM
Oct 2009
Red_Keys said:
lol Btooom! clearly wins. I'm far too weeaboo to actually enjoy anything from my own country.

lol. this.

I'm not a fan of either Btooom! not Hunger Games, having only seen the anime and the movie, not having read the manga nor the book. Hunger Games struck me as being much closer to Battle Royale, but not so much that it would be called a rip-off. The resemblance was most likely unintentionnal. If Btooom! was ripping off, it was ripping off Battle Royale or even Mirai Nikki or some other survival anime/manga/novel.

Hunger Games is about a televised contest, of yound people fighting to the death, with survival as the key element. Btooom! is about a most likely illegal organization that kidnaps people to make them play a video game IRL, with the objective being to kill 8 people. Using bombs as the key element.
SuzieDec 13, 2012 2:13 PM
Dec 13, 2012 3:06 PM

Mar 2012
There are so many differences.

Hunger games is not focused on bombs but rather old fashioned fighting.

In hunger games the danger is much more real, rather than being in the illusion of a game.

Female vs. male lead.

Hunger games much more romance.

Katniss is not as scared to kill.
Dec 27, 2012 11:42 AM

Dec 2012
Andyis said:
There are so many differences.

Hunger games is not focused on bombs but rather old fashioned fighting.

In hunger games the danger is much more real, rather than being in the illusion of a game.

Female vs. male lead.

Hunger games much more romance.

Katniss is not as scared to kill.

Now that the anime has finished, I guess I can agree with your first point but disagree with all others. I think Btooom! is more interesting than the Hunger Games due to its amazing side characters.
Jan 2, 2013 9:48 PM

Mar 2009
I've read all three books. Btooom! is much more entertaining.
Jan 2, 2013 9:53 PM
May 2012
Stop comparing anime to American films.

I love both. They are completely different. Two totally different categories, kk? Kk
Jan 3, 2013 5:16 AM

May 2012
Btooom is far better

I didn't like hunger games that much
Jan 9, 2013 11:25 AM

Nov 2008
Well i did decide to watch, and I must say I did like Btooom a lot. Thanks for the advice!
Jan 9, 2013 11:27 AM

Jul 2011
Btooom! vs Bomberman...
Jan 9, 2013 11:28 AM

Mar 2011
DeathfireD said:

This.

And I think it's kind of hard to compare a relatively short anime and it's manga to a novel that can go way more in depth. If you're looking for mindless entertainment, then you'll like Btooom! If you're looking for a good story, then you'll like the Hunger Games.
Jan 9, 2013 11:35 AM

Nov 2008
goldrose said:
DeathfireD said:

This.

And I think it's kind of hard to compare a relatively short anime and it's manga to a novel that can go way more in depth. If you're looking for mindless entertainment, then you'll like Btooom! If you're looking for a good story, then you'll like the Hunger Games.

Thats a good point, but the plot of Btooom wasnt too bad, i thought it was pretty good actually
Jan 9, 2013 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
Hunger Games has a socio-economic plot weaved in to the children murdering each other. Battle Royale and Btoom! are basically all about people murdering each other. I dislike Hunger Games because I dislike just about all of the characters, and it doesn't handle the socio-economic plot part too well.

That being said I have high hopes for the second movie. No... I will not read the books.
Aug 3, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2013
I read a few comments saying the writers don't know how bombs work and I just had to face palm. The bombs in the anime are based off of fictional bombs from a game within the anime.
I like all kinds of anime. Pm me your favorite :)
Sep 17, 2014 1:05 PM

Feb 2011
its very similar yes... but still btooom! is mux better
Sep 23, 2014 12:04 AM

Sep 2014
I used to love everything from the US, until I found anime, I just become a weaboo and refuse to watch cartoons and listen to music from the US, lol.

That being said, I do enjoy Btooom! much more than I do enjoy reading the hunger games/watching the movie, there is also a little backstory to the side characters (i.e Kosuke) which make me want moar of him :P
Oct 4, 2014 9:38 AM

Jun 2013
I wouldn't say its a rip off, they are slightly similar but they have completely different plots
Oct 13, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
Main difference: Hunger Games suck and Btooom! is much better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jenanime - Dec 20, 2012

470 by Niveen_Sleem »»
May 14, 1:35 PM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2012

140 by Niveen_Sleem »»
May 14, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Elite60 - Nov 8, 2012

142 by Niveen_Sleem »»
May 12, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 30, 2012

243 by Niveen_Sleem »»
May 4, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2012

142 by project_ain »»
Mar 28, 7:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.