Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Little Monster
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 5, 2012 1:26 AM

Jul 2012
Like, you know for a fact that at the end, shizuku and Haru are gonna end up together.
Doesn't that sort of ruin the ride? How can you honestly feel excited and involved in the story when you know the ending?

I mean if there was even a slight chance the author would have the balls to finalize a non-canon relationship at the end, I would be intrigued.
But every one of these stories, no matter how much drama plays out in between, always always ends up the same way.

What's your thoughts on this?
Dec 5, 2012 1:33 AM

Sep 2012
I know what you are saying but I still find it enjoyable to read shojo like this and Sukitte even though it would be a huge shocker if Shizuku went with Yamaken or if Mei chose Kai in the end. Shojo isn't about shock, it is about the relationship.
Dec 5, 2012 1:40 AM

Sep 2012
Because the character interactions is what provides most of the entertainment. If the ride is fun and enjoyable, it makes the destination worth it.
Dec 5, 2012 1:41 AM

Jun 2007
The point is the journey, yeah - it's one of those situations. The character interactions and the development OF the relationship. There are also (few) times where you get a curveball, such as in Zegapain or Honey & Clover.

If it bothers you though, why not watch the romance shows that don't deal with that? Kaichou wa Maid-sama for example has the couple not 'officially' together, but even admittedly (by the characters themselves) in a relationship far before the ending, Itazura na Kiss for example
Or Nodame where the main couple is together pretty much the entire series. Or hell, NANA which is an entire surprise of all sorts of fucked up and unexpected terrible things in terms of relationships. There are plenty like that - and from being that way they avoid the show entirely about an obvious couple getting together.

Basically, romance is entirely that - it's supposed to be about the romance. And so heavily romance-focused shows tend to focus on the couple developing from nothing into being a serious relationship. It's also why the guy or girl meets the future boy/girlfriend for the first time (usually) in the show as well. It's all about developing the characters AND their romance from the beginning and watching it happen.

Tonari is just another one of those, and done VERY generically and uninterestingly sadly. The first 3 episodes or so felt like something a lot more fresh and fast moving (in terms of the relationship), but then it fell into generic bullshit cliches and retarded love triangles while also making the whole cast bland and uninspired. It's sad, really.
TallonKarrde23Dec 5, 2012 1:46 AM
Dec 5, 2012 2:21 AM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Because the character interactions is what provides most of the entertainment. If the ride is fun and enjoyable, it makes the destination worth it.

True, but do you actually feel a sense of suspense/excitement when a new love interest is introduced? I mean, the writers do that to keep us all pumped up and begging for more but I don't feel jack, cause I know it's all for show. It's not gonna happen. It never does. I lose motivation and interest. Maybe it's just me, but the predictability of the whole thing just ruins it man. Like, in the case of this show, what's the point of introducing so many love interests and web of relationships when we know for a fact who's gonna end up with whom? I think that time could be better spent developing the already canon relationship that we all know is gonna happen anyway.
Dec 5, 2012 2:22 AM

Jun 2007
Sixth said:
Red_Keys said:

True, but do you actually feel a sense of suspense/excitement when a new love interest is introduced? I mean, the writers do that to keep us all pumped up and begging for more but I don't feel jack, cause I know it's all for show. It's not gonna happen. It never does. I lose motivation and interest. Maybe it's just me, but the predictability of the whole thing just ruins it man. Like, in the case of this show, what's the point of introducing so many love interests and web of relationships when we know for a fact who's gonna end up with whom? I think that time could be better spent developing the already canon relationship that we all know is gonna happen anyway.

They don't usually introduce the whole love triangle situation to give suspense or make you wonder what will happen - it's a device to make you wonder how the characters will react and move past whatever happens in this situation. It's not about "wow will this new, clearly not the lead romance character, win their heart suddenly?!" it's just about seeing how their relationship stands in adversity and how they go about dealing with it.

Basically, it's another step in the development of the romance...the problem is that it's done so boringly and poorly most of the time.

What you're asking for DOES happen sometimes (with a romance where someone else steps in and you genuinely have no idea who will win) but it's VERY rare. Watch Honey & Clover if you haven't, it's got the perfect example of that situation being played out.
TallonKarrde23Dec 5, 2012 2:30 AM
Dec 5, 2012 2:23 AM

Sep 2012
^ what he said.
Dec 5, 2012 2:26 AM

Jul 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
The point is the journey, yeah - it's one of those situations. The character interactions and the development OF the relationship. There are also (few) times where you get a curveball, such as in Zegapain or Honey & Clover.

If it bothers you though, why not watch the romance shows that don't deal with that? Kaichou wa Maid-sama for example has the couple not 'officially' together, but even admittedly (by the characters themselves) in a relationship far before the ending, Itazura na Kiss for example
Or Nodame where the main couple is together pretty much the entire series. Or hell, NANA which is an entire surprise of all sorts of fucked up and unexpected terrible things in terms of relationships. There are plenty like that - and from being that way they avoid the show entirely about an obvious couple getting together.

Basically, romance is entirely that - it's supposed to be about the romance. And so heavily romance-focused shows tend to focus on the couple developing from nothing into being a serious relationship. It's also why the guy or girl meets the future boy/girlfriend for the first time (usually) in the show as well. It's all about developing the characters AND their romance from the beginning and watching it happen.

Tonari is just another one of those, and done VERY generically and uninterestingly sadly. The first 3 episodes or so felt like something a lot more fresh and fast moving (in terms of the relationship), but then it fell into generic bullshit cliches and retarded love triangles while also making the whole cast bland and uninspired. It's sad, really.

Thanks for the suggestions pal! And I completely agree with that last paragraph!
Dec 10, 2012 3:01 PM

May 2009
It's not really about the ending for me, it's about how they get to where they are if that makes sense. Like with these types of anime the first and last episode for the most part are always the same but the episode in between are always different and that is where you see how the characters get to one point to another in their relationship.

Still not sure if that made sense but I enjoy the anime.
Dec 10, 2012 7:30 PM

Nov 2007
They are already getting together, but there's always obstacles that block them for being together and how they cope with those obstacles. That's shoujo romance for you.

I enjoy Sukitte Ii na yo. more, though.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 10, 2012 7:37 PM

Jun 2012
Love triangles are never enjoyable.
Dec 10, 2012 8:21 PM

Nov 2007
I am guessing by romance, you are strictly implying to shoujo anime. And if it is, then my answer is: Yes they are. Always had been and always will be. At least for me.

I am an avid shoujo anime fan. I don't consider myself as a reverse harem fan though, because those are never of my taste. When I say I adore shoujo anime, I mean non reverse harem anime. But it can be slice of life, magical, musical or any other genre.

As for them always ending in the same way, I really don't care. Because you gave it away in your own post "how much drama plays out in between". I enjoy shoujo anime because I love watching the characters develop through those drama, the characters get to know one another through those drama, and the supporting characters playing roles directly or indirectly to develop themselves and help the main characters develop as part of those drama.

The main attraction of romance anime, and shoujo anime in particular is "the drama that plays out in between" and more so seldom how it ends. This has always been the case for shoujo anime.

Keep in mind that most of the shoujo anime out there never get to see a true ending, or to be more accurate, a good ending, because of the way the digital media market has valued shoujo anime.

There are tons of examples out there: Fruits Basket, Skip Beat!, Nana, Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Glass Mask, Bokura ga Ita, Ouran Koukou Host Club. These anime will probably never see a second season even though quite a number of them deserve it more than many anime out there. Because the value as digital media for shoujo anime has been pretty bad over the last 7-8 years.

If you go back to olden days, anime such as Sailor Moon, Kodomo no Omocha, Daa Daa Daa could compete with Shounen and Ecchi anime because digital media wasn't that popular back then. Ever since anime started to get quick DVDs (within months or even weeks of airing in TV channel), shoujo anime took a rapid decline because of their digital media market value being very poor. So you could partly blame the digital media for romance anime having generic ending. Because they almost always end in a way that can be as generic as anything and as if the animators make them just for the sake of making them. Just for some quick bucks with little effort.

As far as Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is concerned, I think it is safe. It will have a very good market value because of its ever so growing fanbase and acceptance amongst male fanbase (those who really go out there to buy digital media are largely male fanbase after all).

As for Sukitte Ii na yo and Kamisama Hajimemashita, I can guarantee that those two anime will never see an episode beyond the 13th even though they have been really impressive thus far. Expect generic endings for them, because that's how it has been for shoujo anime. But nothing takes away the enjoyment of seeing those drama played in between as they reach the ever so generic finale.
shanimebibDec 10, 2012 8:27 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 10, 2012 8:21 PM

Mar 2008
As has already been said, it's never the pairing that is the most exciting part in series' like this. If you want that, you're better off sticking with harem and romance as a side plot. Here, the obstacles aren't developing love and conveying your initial feelings, but rather dealing with the relationship itself, because relationships aren't all smooth sailing (hell, in real life they almost never are) so it's about being able to learn about each other, deal with the obstacles along the way and grow together in ways that pre-relationship romance shows can't convey by virtue of having different circumstances.

Ultimately, it's about what you want to see in a show. If you find pre-relationship focussed shows more interesting, that's fine. Similarly if you find post-relationship focussed shows interesting, that's fine too. Each to their own.
Dec 10, 2012 9:04 PM

Sep 2008
Sixth said:
True, but do you actually feel a sense of suspense/excitement when a new love interest is introduced? I mean, the writers do that to keep us all pumped up and begging for more but I don't feel jack, cause I know it's all for show. It's not gonna happen. It never does. I lose motivation and interest. Maybe it's just me, but the predictability of the whole thing just ruins it man.
I think what you're looking for is this.
Dec 10, 2012 9:12 PM

Dec 2009
5layer said:
Sixth said:
True, but do you actually feel a sense of suspense/excitement when a new love interest is introduced? I mean, the writers do that to keep us all pumped up and begging for more but I don't feel jack, cause I know it's all for show. It's not gonna happen. It never does. I lose motivation and interest. Maybe it's just me, but the predictability of the whole thing just ruins it man.

Seconding This!
Dec 10, 2012 9:39 PM

Mar 2011
waalex11 said:
5layer said:
Sixth said:

Seconding This!

I third this.
Dec 10, 2012 10:41 PM

Nov 2007
Errol said:
waalex11 said:
5layer said:
Sixth said:

Seconding This!

I third this.

I have never heard of it until now, but I am fourthing this.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 11, 2012 1:32 AM
May 2012
when someone asks you how can the superman fly?what will you answer!!!!
the answer is "you are a moron"
if the superman couldn't fly then he wouldn't have been called superman!!!
My answer is kind of like that!
almost in every romance anime the main male lead and the female is found almost in the first episode!
but still knowing obvious ending why do we watch?
its simple,every person earns for romance!!!!!
nahhh!to me its funny and interesting!
Dec 11, 2012 6:05 AM
Jun 2012
Sixth said:
Like, you know for a fact that at the end, shizuku and Haru are gonna end up together.
Doesn't that sort of ruin the ride? How can you honestly feel excited and involved in the story when you know the ending?

I mean if there was even a slight chance the author would have the balls to finalize a non-canon relationship at the end, I would be intrigued.
But every one of these stories, no matter how much drama plays out in between, always always ends up the same way.

What's your thoughts on this?

I know what you mean, but you picked the wrong show for this question. Tonari is not a formulaic shojo romance drama. So there is actually a possibility Mitty could end would someone else, even if it is unlikely. But it is also a comedy, so complaining about lacking drama is a bit silly.

It would have been better to post this on Sukitte's forum, since that is formulaic shojo. That does mean that every attempt at producing drama from the love rivals are failures; every watcher knows how it will end. But there can still be other reasons to like a show, other than drama. You might like the characters and empathise with them. You might like the character interactions, like, you know, the romance bit?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is there going to be a season 2? ( 1 2 )

SalemWitch - Apr 2, 2013

64 by Note_Rikka »»
May 1, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2012

478 by Prevesis »»
Apr 18, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2012

463 by LANNYPOOPOODONG »»
Oct 20, 2023 7:06 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2012

165 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 7:42 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2012

165 by ccrr »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.