Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 14, 2008 3:08 PM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I'm still wondering why Tokuchi signed such a contract...
Nov 14, 2008 5:01 PM

Jun 2007
The Mariners are going to be completely broken by the end of the first game, most likely. I agree that that was a pretty dumb contract to sign. Maybe Tokuchi just shares Akagi's epic death wish. By the way, the chin on that Roger Clemens clone is totally riddick.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Nov 14, 2008 5:24 PM

Sep 2007
Torisunanohokori said:
By the way, the chin on that Roger Clemens clone is totally riddick.

Well, this episode didn't have nearly as much ridiculousness as the past few. Only really objectionable part was the guy who hadn't pitched in who knows how many months/years breaking the bat with his pitch...

Also pretty confused at the contract, though. "You must do everything the manager says." lol, wut
Nov 14, 2008 5:29 PM
Oct 2008
basically, with yoshida gone, the owner needs a new dog. he's hoping that will be toua.

notice though, that the contract says manager and not the owner, but essentially, they mean the same thing as the manager is the owner's pawn anyway.
Nov 14, 2008 5:56 PM
Nov 2008
A pretty standard transitional episode. The end of the game started in the previous episode was pretty anticlimatic. You had only a few minutes to try to build any sort of sympathy with Yoshida, and his lightning epiphany. I have not read the manga, so I'm curious if it was just rushed for a simple lack of time.

The new conditions placed upon Toua's contract are cartoonishly loony. Much like Akagi, I'm sure there will be some interesting loopholes Toua will exploit. I'm sure something will occur regarding the last condition in particular. With the set up from earlier in the episode about the Owner leaking the game fixing scandal, it isn't hard to believe that he'll leak the information to screw over Toua.

Then we have the build up to next episode, the game with the Mariners. It should be interesting to say the least. One Outs is by no means going to unseat Akagi in my anime favorites, but it's still a solid watch for the season. Hopefully the next episode will have some crazy twists. : )
XaintrixNov 15, 2008 9:23 AM
Nov 14, 2008 8:33 PM
Apr 2008
wat kind of contract was that. tokuchi has a plan he always does. and i feel sorry for those mariners
Nov 14, 2008 8:44 PM
Oct 2008
Great suspense to a sports anime, watching toua use his mind to defeat the batters and piss off the owner are amazing well thought out, i love how each episode ends cant wait for number 6
Nov 14, 2008 10:54 PM

Sep 2008
Love the episode and this is turning one of my favorite anime of the fall season
Nov 15, 2008 12:56 AM

Jun 2008
Loved the episode and the first half of the episode was kinda funny.
Why the hell did Tou even sign this contract,who knows what he's thinking of.

Nov 15, 2008 3:43 AM

Dec 2007
i loved this episode, i cant wait for next episode now!!!!!
Nov 15, 2008 6:52 AM

Oct 2008
naikou said:

Only really objectionable part was the guy who hadn't pitched in who knows how many months/years breaking the bat with his pitch...

They're doing minor leagues in Japan even their avg speed for a fast ball from what they said is at highschool and college level out here in America minors is hardly anything and it did show it had been a while with how badly he was doing at first so consider those his warm up pitches. Plus all he did was use a ridic amount of power to pitch which is why the bat broke like that. That contract is annoying although it does make sense I'm curious how he's going to use that contract and nothing like him surprising his team by being the only actual observant one unlike his teammates then they're all like wtf because of it.
Nov 15, 2008 5:27 PM
Apr 2008

The raws are out for 6, I hope it'll be subbed quickly.
Nov 15, 2008 5:58 PM

Aug 2007
"SHIIT."

That was pretty funny. But besides that, the man's cockiness is great.
Nov 16, 2008 5:49 PM

Jul 2008
toua is really amazing.....i love you toua..nyahaha
..this will be my favorite anime..in this season..nyahaha
Nov 16, 2008 9:21 PM

Sep 2007
Syco said:
They're doing minor leagues in Japan even their avg speed for a fast ball from what they said is at highschool and college level out here in America minors is hardly anything and it did show it had been a while with how badly he was doing at first so consider those his warm up pitches. Plus all he did was use a ridic amount of power to pitch which is why the bat broke like that.

Not sure what you're saying. Is it believable for a minor-league Japanese pitcher who hasn't pitched in years to break a bat with his pitch? Or is that impossible?

I'm honestly curious, because I'm not really a baseball fan.
Nov 18, 2008 11:49 AM

Jul 2008
naikou said:
Syco said:
They're doing minor leagues in Japan even their avg speed for a fast ball from what they said is at highschool and college level out here in America minors is hardly anything and it did show it had been a while with how badly he was doing at first so consider those his warm up pitches. Plus all he did was use a ridic amount of power to pitch which is why the bat broke like that.

Not sure what you're saying. Is it believable for a minor-league Japanese pitcher who hasn't pitched in years to break a bat with his pitch? Or is that impossible?

I'm honestly curious, because I'm not really a baseball fan.

It's not like breaking a bat is really an intentional thing. It was really just luck on Yoshida's part. There are a lot of factors coming into when/how a bat breaks. Such as what type of wood. At least that's a large issue over here, there was a big issue with maple bats due to their tendancy to shatter like the batters bat. I mean, bats have broken on changeups(65-75 mph pitches) before.

Thik of it this way, if the bat has been used a while or even just often, it's likely the bat'll eventually wear down. It just takes one pitch to the right place and boom.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Nov 18, 2008 9:01 PM

Sep 2008
I want to resay this

This guy is a DEMON!!!!!!

I can't stop watching, someone sub these eps faster and air faster. xD
TurbeNov 18, 2008 9:05 PM
Nov 19, 2008 8:30 PM
Jul 2018
Torisunanohokori said:
The Mariners are going to be completely broken by the end of the first game, most likely. I agree that that was a pretty dumb contract to sign. Maybe Tokuchi just shares Akagi's epic death wish. By the way, the chin on that Roger Clemens clone is totally riddick.

this guy's chin is the scariest thing in this anime D:
Nov 24, 2008 11:53 PM

Jul 2008
A bat breaking has a lot to do with mistiming. Toua's a straight g for accepting that contract.
Jan 2, 2009 12:20 AM

Jun 2008
Sweet this anime is becoming better and better by every episode. ^-^ I love the old men commenting on what's happening it's so l-o-l. :]
HEY!
Jan 23, 2009 12:09 PM

Apr 2008
ROFL!!!!!

I loved that Tou was too tired so hit the batter with the ball, and then tells the others to fight while he's in the dugout!!! XD

But I was really surpirsed that the bat broke, does that actually happen? Also is it me, or are the managers lips getting ever bigger? ;>

Tch, the owner is a complete coward, but at the same time Toua seems to be a high stakes junky!

I'll admit I'm guilty of thinking he was just laying there smoking, but I couldn't stop laughing when they were just sat there staring out the opponents, and how Skiina-san commentates with that same smile on his face the whole time!
Turbe said:
I want to resay this
This guy is a DEMON!!!!!!
I can't stop watching...
Agreed!!!
May 16, 2009 7:49 PM

Mar 2009
I know Yoshida would come back. WTF at the new contract though....this could go wrong so many ways...
Sep 3, 2009 9:55 PM

Feb 2008
I can understand why he wants Toua to lose, but why does the owner want the team to lose as a whole? is he betting against them or what?

since Toua already had a signed contract, why would he even consider a new one that didn't give him any kind of benifits? and what exactly is he getting paid in the worthless games vs the pennant games?

love his mind games, especially when they don't bother to explain them :)
Oct 11, 2009 6:05 PM

Jul 2009
Damn, what is in Toua mind?

jacobpaige said:
I can understand why he wants Toua to lose, but why does the owner want the team to lose as a whole? is he betting against them or what?

love his mind games, especially when they don't bother to explain them :)
Perhaps he losing control to the team because of Toua's appearance..he said in earlier episode that he doesn't mind losing a game as long as it's benefit in business..
May 29, 2010 7:28 AM

Mar 2009
Toua must've signed the contract with some sort of plan in mind.
Oct 29, 2010 12:19 AM

Jun 2009
LoL at not just one of those hitters have a BA over .400 (which is already extremely rare), but 3 of them. Yeah right, is this really supposed to be professional baseball?

This show, and it's ridiculous scenarios, makes my inner baseball fan rage.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 18, 2011 7:03 PM
Dec 2008
Great episode. I like the pace of this anime.
Feb 27, 2011 4:23 PM

Feb 2009
insan3soldiern said:
This show, and it's ridiculous scenarios, makes my inner baseball fan rage.

This.
AlexSadist-sama said:
Toua must've signed the contract with some sort of plan in mind.

Yeah,probably something like not giving up any runs for the rest of his baseball career.That's a fine plan imo.
ChaosLegionFeb 27, 2011 5:23 PM

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 18, 2011 6:26 PM

Nov 2009
ragnaroks said:
I'm still wondering why Tokuchi signed such a contract...

I don't like that he just accepted the contract, but I guess it goes with his character.

He sure has a lot of confidence, and he is so analytical, noticing things that no one else noticed.
Apr 20, 2011 8:32 PM

Dec 2009
Laevantein said:
Damn, what is in Toua mind?

This

Oct 19, 2012 11:04 PM

Jul 2008
Loved Yoshida by the end of this, but man that owner needs to be taken down a few more times.
Apr 12, 2013 3:31 PM
Jul 2012
Great episode!
Toua is actually smart! He helped out the guy who does owner's dirty work.
Now the owner is dynamic, but I still don't trust this guy. I still hate his guts.
Got to remember this great quote" A low possibility means it's not zero.”
Next team, and the team looks like they are confident all thanks to Toua. Will be a great episode.
5/5
May 8, 2013 6:51 PM

Apr 2010
WolfWood37 said:
Loved Yoshida by the end of this, but man that owner needs to be taken down a few more times.

May 28, 2013 10:08 AM

Jun 2009

HAHAHAHA. Seriously wasn't expecting that.
Jul 12, 2013 6:36 PM

Nov 2011
nehnehneji said:
I loved that Tou was too tired so hit the batter with the ball, and then tells the others to fight while he's in the dugout!!! XD

Toua is such a BADASS !! XD
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 24, 2013 3:06 AM

Dec 2012
Yoshida really redeemed himself this episode and Toua keeps proving to be a bad ass. The upcoming game looks exciting but the games feel a bit fast. Then again I'm still used to Ookiku Furikabutte's slow paced games.
Aug 14, 2013 9:24 PM

Jul 2012
Have I mentioned how much I love this show? Damn, that's awesome. Tokuchi made one of the antagonists on his side. This is one crazy baseball anime. (The only other baseball anime I've seen is Cross Game lol)

Also: Give me a couple of more episodes and I bet I'll add Tokuchi to my fave characters list lol.

Jim_Heart said:
nehnehneji said:

BEST PART RIGHT THERE. LOL
Apr 6, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2013
He really helped the shortstop out.

That contract :/

"Shit!" Ha
Aug 7, 2014 11:20 AM

Feb 2013
mayukachan said:
Jim_Heart said:

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Oct 28, 2014 6:14 AM

Dec 2012
vhynz said:
mayukachan said:

He actually wasn´t tired, just wanted to let that guys pitch and make owner angry... I think he will use the concract in his favor, now if he convinces the manager to work for the team, not for the owner, everything will be ok. And when in red numbers, he will just break the rule and it will be all nullified :P :D
Nov 29, 2014 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
How can Toua be so confident? dang

Dec 16, 2014 3:10 PM

Jan 2013
Nice side character development.
But on a side note, Toua looks really lazy, and he smokes. How does he stay in shape? There's no way he can not work out and pitch skillfully for that long

Jan 9, 2015 5:10 AM

Nov 2013
I wonder why Toua signed that contract. Who knows?

I cracked up when Toua threw the baseball at that batter so he could get ejected from the game.

Yoshida pitching that ball and breaking the other team's baseball bat was badass.

Tokuchi has yet to win me over. Toua just seems too perfect to the point of being overpowered. Kaiji on the other hand, was a flawed character. However, his flaws were what made me really like him because it made him feel more real...and because he's got a big nose!

Nevertheless, this was my favorite episode so far! I will definitely be watching a shit ton more of this tomorrow night!

9/10
FunnyRatmanJan 9, 2015 5:21 AM

Feb 8, 2015 10:22 AM

Nov 2009
It does seem kind of stupid that Toua signed that contract doesn't it? I mean, we get that he is pretty confident, however even he should know that nothing is ever 100% certain. A good gambler would do everything possible to keep odds in their favor, he already signed a contract so it isn't like he has to make any changes to the contract. Well, I haven't read far enough but perhaps complying with the owner at all times is part of his plan to screw with him and consistently have the manager underestimate him.

Gotta love that slugger breaking his bat and going "shit!"
Mar 17, 2015 2:24 PM

Jul 2013
Man, I haven't watched this in ages, because for ages I kept trying to find a good quality stream of this ep which seemed impossible so I gave up then I didn't have time. Yet the other ones were 720p and this one said it was but it clearly wasn't.

I was surprised he got tired and then hit the guy with the ball and caused a fight.

I like how Toua inspired Yoshida to be a batter again and quit and go to the minor leagues again to do that.

Those new contract terms are bad and playing 3 games in a row D:

I liked how they all just thought he was lazing around on the grass smoking when he was studying the other team which I thought he probably was and makes sense really.
Apr 12, 2015 8:16 AM
Nov 2014
Tokuchi has gotta be one of the best MC I have ever seen lol, brilliant and funny at the same time.
Apr 25, 2015 8:35 PM

Feb 2015
Wonder why he would sign the new contract but I bet there's something more to it.
Jun 3, 2015 6:51 AM

Jun 2015
That breaking of bat was complete BS
Jul 8, 2015 1:50 PM

Aug 2013
Those new terms in Toua contract are completely insane! Couldn't the owner simply reveal his contract and then the point 4 would be applicated? Toua would then have to pay 500 millions of yen plus all his wage would be cancelled? How can he counter that? Because he definitely have a plan.

Yoshida made an unexpected comeback. I didn't expected him to react like that to the situation.

It look like Toua is setting the table for the next three game. Let's hope the owner ends up on the losing end! :D
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 27, 2015 9:53 AM

Jan 2013
Damn ... that guy with the ENORMOUS chin.
Toua is so confident, even showing his team that he's noticing all these small things in a team like the Mariner's.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Outs Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Torisunanohokori - Apr 2, 2009

213 by Sun_Chan »»
Yesterday, 9:53 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 19 Discussion

Torisunanohokori - Feb 17, 2009

44 by Sun_Chan »»
Yesterday, 1:12 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 18 Discussion

Torisunanohokori - Feb 10, 2009

46 by Sun_Chan »»
Yesterday, 12:53 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Torisunanohokori - Jan 27, 2009

57 by Sun_Chan »»
Yesterday, 12:03 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Torisunanohokori - Jan 13, 2009

73 by Sun_Chan »»
May 16, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.