Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 9, 2009 7:43 AM
Sep 2008
I love the kitty part. ^_^

I was really surprised that it was Grell, though I thought there had to be something up with him. I liked the flashback too. Even though it was sad it explained a lot.
Oct 21, 2009 4:13 AM

May 2009
Madam Red's flashback was awesome!
Dec 18, 2009 4:57 AM

Apr 2009
Orkel said:
I laughed so hard that my stomach started hurting at the soft kitty part. Sebastian's "sophisticated" way of speaking was so perfect for that scene.

lol, yaeah, that was just hilarious! never thought sebastiean had such a liking for cats XD

Awesome ep. loved it. can't wait to watch the next.
but sad that madam red died T.T
Jan 15, 2010 3:51 PM

Nov 2009
ughh cat scene was so much better in the manga
the flashback was amazing though. Loved the way they did it =D
"Father yearned for yesterday. You yearn for today. I yearn for tomorrow." -Lelouch
Jan 23, 2010 6:20 AM

Aug 2009
WHAT THE FUCK? JACK THE RIPPER IS MADAM RED AND THAT CLUMSY BUTLER, LOL. THEY'RE THE ONES THAT I WOULD LEAST SUSPECT MAN, OHH THE IRONYY.

Okay so that was a nice flashback of Madam Red's life. I didn't know she loved Ciel's father. Also I didn't expect her to kill those prostitutes because they treat children like they're not worth existing.

Also, I didn't expect Grell to be a grim reaper. Heck, I thought he wouldn't play a role in this Anime, lol. Anyways, that fighting scene was awesome. Sebastian is one heck of a loyal butler. That scene where Sebastian came into Madam Red's back to save Ciel was so epic win. He looked like a real demon back there, lol.
Apr 21, 2010 3:23 AM

Oct 2009
Shocking... :O

Feel sort of bad that Madam Red is gone, even though she slaughtered those prostitutes with Grell.
May 16, 2010 1:13 PM

Jan 2010
I was rather surprised that two comedic side characters were the villains behind all this. That certainly doesn't happen often.
.__.
May 24, 2010 5:26 PM

Apr 2009
I think I was supposed to be surprised by the Madame Red + Grell thing, but I wasn't, really. I didn't feel like I knew much about them from their appearances in the previous eps, so I'm not really shocked that they're killing people. If the series had put more emphasis on Madame Red and Grell's "facades" it would have hit me harder, but I was very "meh" about it.

And as for the "gay bit" complaint - I remember reading around somewhere and seeing that Grell identifies as female. Doesn't necessarily mean s/he's gay; not every gay man identifies as female or refers to himself as a lady. O_< I believe that falls under transgendered or transexual.

That aside. Good ep, hoping the next one will top it.
Jun 19, 2010 2:46 PM

Aug 2009
Mmm I wouldn't of thought they would find Jack... Seeing though nobody ever did.

Anyway.... I'm totally gay for Seb. XD
Jun 25, 2010 12:39 PM

May 2008
Whoa, this was shocking, I've never suspected Madam Red or that butler, I'm really surprised.
Also I loved Madam Red's portrayal, it was dramatic~
Jun 26, 2010 6:58 PM

Jul 2009
At first I was iffy about the whole anime in general, but seeing that episode was like threw me out of my seat! I'm going to watch this show with a wide open mind and cruise along for the ride now =]
Jun 29, 2010 3:52 AM

Jul 2007
beyond my expectation, because i really like to see more of Madam Red and her butler.. well of course will be seeing more of him, Greil-san. i thought Greil was like Sebastian.. now we have shinigami vs akuma, lot of series has this two combination but in this series, they managed to put something different.
Jul 3, 2010 1:37 PM
Mar 2010
A really ncie ep, Sad past though
Jul 3, 2010 10:15 PM

May 2010
I was so shocked when I saw Grell in his "true form" and how Madame Red died. I think I'll be depressed for along time now (even though she did kill all those girls) I still...

I need a moment...
I am apart from everything and a part of everything.

Frozen Fire, Tim Bowler
Jul 23, 2010 1:05 AM

Dec 2009
Next time; DeathGod VS. Demon~!

Madam Red's past was kinda sad, and I feel sorry for her, even though she killed all those girls.
Aug 8, 2010 11:58 AM

Dec 2008
oh no I really liked Madam Red
the reapor was a bit overacted
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2010 11:32 PM

Feb 2010
Excellent episode.... seamless animation!!!

Jack the Ripper has always interested me... and that way this show has implemented that legend is incredible.

Great story. Excited to see the epic showdown!!!

I figured the aunt had something to do with the death, but Grell!? Dayuummm... and he teeth were scary!
Oct 8, 2010 1:31 PM

Jun 2009
Wow, I was blown away by this episode. The plot twist was stunning. Two people acting as Jack the Ripper? And they actually were Madam Red and Grell? I didn't see that coming nor in a million years.

Madam's Red backstory was depressing, she suffered a lot and when she finally found a way to be at least just a bit happy, everything crumbled again and lost all the precious things she held dear; Madam has a comprehensible reason behind all her actions. The way the flashbacks were depicted, grayscale with dash of vivid red was pure genious, I loved it. I didn't want her to die.

Sebastian and Grell's fight was intense, even though Grell was making some weird jokes in middle, but thankfully it didn't disturb too much the mood. Sebastian protecting Ciel at the expense of his arm, he's such a loyal buttler...
I want to see how this continues in the next episode.
AnisamarOct 12, 2010 6:34 PM
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Nov 26, 2010 10:21 AM
Jul 2010
I actually expected Grell to be "Jack The Reaper". But I was totally surprised that: 1. Madam Red was involved; 2. Grell is a shinigami.

A great episode, the best so far. Good action, amazingly portrayed dark mood, a good plot twist, and very well depicted flashbacks. What more can one ask for?
Nov 28, 2010 8:47 PM

May 2009
woah intense episode....well now i've seen two Animes with a jack the ripper reference (Soul Eater and Black Butler)....it's funny because in the previous episode as soon as they mentioned women getting murdered and then i thought England....i was like......The Ripper is back.....and lol i was like BOOYAAKAA when Ciel said his name, i wasn't excited about Jack the Ripper being in the Anime i was excited because i learned about him in 7th grade and it felt like i just got a trivia question in Final Jeopardy xD anyway......this episode was freaky probably because i kinda knew it was going to involve the Aunt but the butler......didn't see that coming anyway looking forward to the next episode!
Dec 15, 2010 4:07 AM

Jun 2010
Chainscythe!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2011 3:42 AM

Oct 2008
Whoa, didn't see that coming.. I like the new Grell. :D
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 15, 2011 3:27 PM

Apr 2009
That was interesting and it totally hit me on the blindside. Jack the Ripper is actually Jane the Ripper and assisted by The Reaper himself. Good God! What's next?

Ah the kitty scene was cute XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 13, 2011 6:19 AM

Aug 2010
epic episode.... I just love this series!
Jun 4, 2011 1:58 AM

May 2011
As I had thought that the last two episodes had been slightly lacking, this episode came as a great relief to me. From the first episode, I knew I had stumbled upon an excellent series, but for me the episode with Elizabeth was distinctly average, and I was initially worried that this anime might deviate too much from the dark plotline, which would detract from my overall enjoyment. However, it appears that the more lighthearted humour will be an intermittent occurance, and mostly they will be running with black humour. And I do love black humour. Overall, I am thoroughly pleased with the storyline, and absolutely thrilled to see ol' Jackie boy featured - I especially enjoyed the way they adapted the theory that Jack may have actually been 'Jill'. Yeah, so, in summary, I loved this episode - great emotional impact, plot development, art and humour, can't wait to watch more of this series!
Jun 23, 2011 8:00 PM

Dec 2009
Madam Red's back story was interesting. This episode was good and the next one seems cool :D
Oct 21, 2011 8:53 PM

Jul 2010
wow, this episode was quite the shocker, 1st he saw a dead body with blood everywhere, and he almost puked, now he saw his only relative(?) die in front oh him (excluding the part where she tried to kill him)
as for grell, WTF was that? i actually did not expect that.

Oct 29, 2011 5:02 PM

Oct 2011
OMG! I din't expect this... Loved Madam Red's flashback, very sad story.

I hate Grell... It's kinds crazy and annoying
May 28, 2012 3:55 PM

Aug 2008
Unfortunately for me, I read some spoilers beforehand so the impact of the discovery was lessened. It was still shocking that Madam Red and Grell were the culprits.

One thing I didn't like was that Ciel seemed too composed for my tastes when confronting his aunt. Not much of an inner struggle nor was there apparent hesitation. I know he didn't shoot his aunt but I just wish they focused more on his state of mind instead of the fight between Sebastian and Grell.
darkerealmMay 28, 2012 3:59 PM
Jun 6, 2012 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
Well shit.
Those comedic sequences are very, very badly timed.
This entire anime is one big spoof of itself.
I have no idea whether I should love it or hate it.
Jun 8, 2012 8:47 PM

May 2012
Madam Red's flashback was so depressing, with red being the only splash of color in a whirlwind recollection of her life. Grell? I said out loud to myself, "That was unexpected." It was! The chainsaw, however, made me WTF. Anyways, can't wait for next episode!
Jun 21, 2012 10:29 PM

Jun 2012
The fighting is begin.. between Sebastian and Greil
Feb 8, 2013 8:36 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, Madam Red's life was quite horrible. I loved the way the flashback was made, on a gray scale and only showing the color red and the impact it made on Madam Red's life.

Also, I'm loving the way this Anime just goes from drama to comedy in a matter of seconds. I've never liked it in any other Anime before but I guess it's just that good.
Jul 27, 2013 4:52 PM

Dec 2012
Well this was one hell of an episode. I was getting a bit bored with this series but this turn of events has made up for it. It was really freaky seeing Greil coming out of the house covered in blood, then his smile becoming vicious like the chainsaw he wields. Ciel's aunt really had it rough, now I can see why she hated prostitutes so much, for taking everything she lost for granted. The comedy is still a bit awkward for me though, but I hope this series keeps the momentum of this episode.
Oct 17, 2013 1:22 AM

Jul 2013
I knew it was Madame Red! In the previous episode she said that anyone could cut out the insides, even her. Also, she said she couldn't have children and the killer was cutting out the uterus. Though, Griel's true identity came as a shock to me.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Jan 27, 2014 9:55 AM

Aug 2013
Oh, so it was that Grell and M. Red in the end. I didn't saw it coming, but when I saw the scene were she was leaving home and Grell was waiting while being creepy, I knew something wasn't right.

I kinda feel bad for M. Red. What she did was horrible and she even tried to kill her newphew, but she had some bad luck. Everything she loved was dying around her. It's like she was cursed.

Next episode, Sebastian vs creepy Grell.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 27, 2014 4:00 PM

Jan 2014
Amazing episode! It was funny- the kitty scene, but also very emotional. That was unexpected!
Jul 19, 2014 5:55 PM
May 2014
Much better.. I understand why I originally wanted to watch this now. Just the right balance of humor and drama. (and horror.)
Aug 20, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
Awww, the kitty scene was funny and so cuteeeee <3

I didn't expect it to be Grell and Madam Red! D:

Plus Grell is a woman and a grim reaper, wtf o_O lol

The flashbacks were sad!
Oct 17, 2014 7:17 AM

Oct 2014
Huuuh. Everyone is so excited about this anime xD Sadly I have tried to watch it a few times and every single one of them I only got as far as episode 2. Finally, I reached episode 5 and YAY! 'Twas something more to my liking. Drama, drama all the way! Grell's gotta be my favorite character, although not necessarily as personality.
Oct 28, 2014 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
when Madam red was mentioned to be one of the suspects, I had a hunch that she really is the culprit. Anyway Grell is indeed more fitted to be a villain. Looking forward to see their fight
Dec 12, 2014 1:10 PM

Jun 2014
Excited for the fight between Sebastian and Grell.

May 19, 2015 8:17 PM

Oct 2013
Wow that was interesting. I predict most plot twists in anime, but this one completely surpassed me. Wow didn't even think twice about Madam Red and Grell. Lol reminds me of Professor Quirell from Harry Potter
Jun 15, 2015 12:33 PM

Feb 2015
Never in my right mind would I have thought that his own aunt was one of the killers...
Jan 6, 2016 2:26 AM

Dec 2015
Great episode! Very dramatic and cool. I might have to pick up the manga.
Oct 28, 2016 5:13 PM

Oct 2016
This series really jarringly switches tones and it is disruptive but when it settles on one for more than a few minutes it really gels into something great.
Dec 3, 2016 6:15 PM

Jan 2015
Before watching the anime I totally thought it was going to be a boring and serious anime but my gawwd! I love it

“You were so bright... shining... Like... the sun!” ☆
Dec 12, 2016 5:30 AM

Jun 2013
A pretty crazy episode, this was. Crazy as Madam Red was, her motivation made sense, at least from her twisted point of view.
LeeTailorDec 12, 2016 3:42 PM
Aug 21, 2017 9:49 AM

Jun 2016
GREIL, NOOOOOOOOO! WHAT THE HELL! NOOOOOOOO! I CAN'T ACCEPT THIS. HOLY SHIEEEEEET! I FUCKING TRUSTED YOU.

This was a very sad episode. Omfg. This is so unexpected in a lot of ways. I hope Angelina's gonna be revived or something. Oh noo. This episode is too much. Ugh. Ugh. I can't deal with this.

FUCK!

;-;

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Mar 27, 2018 10:34 PM

Mar 2012
i've never really liked grell that much, he's too over the top for my liking but i do like him as a charcater. he's one of the serie's comic relief and he does his job well. as much i i don't like to admit, he is funny.

i always liked madam red a lot, so i think it's really sad for her to be dead so early in the series. );
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 25, 2009

98 by Sun_Chan »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Favorite Servant?

RuuryMercury - Jun 24, 2015

4 by Sun_Chan »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 17, 2009

85 by Sun_Chan »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

70 by Sun_Chan »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Nov 23, 2008

115 by Sun_Chan »»
7 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.