Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2008 11:54 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Oscar, at the Duel at Dawn"

Antoinette is easily swayed by Beltin Dressmakers into spending an extravagant amount of money on their finery. She spends more time entertaining herself than attending to her duties as Queen. Despite her earlier worries, Oscar decides to let Antoinette do what she wants because she senses that Fersen's leaving has left her very lonely. Guemenee and Orleans try to manipulate the King and Queen into canceling audiences with peasants, but Oscar advises Antoinette against this, and she listens. Oscar and Guemenee get into a fight over each other's behavior, so Guemenee challenges her to a duel. Orleans and Guemenee decide to hold the duel in a place where Oscar would be temporarily blinded by the rising sun at a crucial moment. The night before the duel, Oscar confides to Andre that though she is not afraid of Guemenee, she still does not wish to take human life. During the duel, she maneuvers around Guemenee's trick and shoots him in the hand to spare him. Upon seeing the injured Guemenee, Antoinette sentences Oscar to a month's confinement because the alternatives for opposing a powerful duke were even harsher. summary courtesy of Wikipedia

Ep 12 begins w/ Antoinette being as impulsive and childish as ever. I found it funny how the women would go for anything, even something lice colored if it was in fashion. Lice color?! I wonder if Oscar can talk about Antoinette's loneliness so well because she's also a woman, or because she is also lonely?

Duke Orleans appears again w/ another under handed scheme. Why am I not surprised that he would know the perfect place to affect a duel?

Ha! Duke deGuemence gets the "L" & gets shot in the hand, but poor Oscar gets punished. Boo! >;-P
Feb 1, 2009 10:57 PM

May 2007
Oh right, Oscar rocks, she was able to block a shot and take out the jerks hand.

Now we have to wait a month to get back Oscar but I think it was worth it.
My anime list
Sep 3, 2011 3:16 PM

Feb 2010
Why was Geumenee suddenly so friendly with antoinette in the beginning? He seemed pretty upset about her last episode. But when it's about peasant bashing they can all agree, how wonderful ^^.

Well the duel was a bit unrealistic, but whatever. And what's up with Antoinette, the first time she acts politically/socially intelligent of course must be when it's about confining Oscar. I rage.

And I just knew that orleans would use Guemenee. But I wonder if he'll get the favor even though the duke lost.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 29, 2012 2:16 AM

Sep 2008
Hmm, I don't really entirely "get" the relationship between Oscar and André. Oscar seems intent on pushing him away or something? But then doesn't. Huh.

Other than that... Oscar was great as always. I find it somewhat amusing that all the evil people actually look like you would expect them to be evil, hah. Antoinette unfortunately just got more annoying throughout the episode, even when she came in at the end. Did she actually fully grasp the situation at hand? (I don't really think so...)

The 'overly-dramatic' parts continue to be amusing, too. :P
Feb 13, 2013 12:11 AM

Sep 2010
This series loves its over dramatic effects and shoujo bubbles its hilarious.

Oscar blocked a bullet with her gun then disarmed Guemene that was pretty awesome.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 1, 2013 12:13 PM

Jun 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Why was Geumenee suddenly so friendly with antoinette in the beginning? He seemed pretty upset about her last episode. But when it's about peasant bashing they can all agree, how wonderful ^^.

Err, wouldn't it obviously be beneficial to him to keep himself in the Queens good graces even if he doesn't like her? I don't think it's all that uncommon for something like this to happen, especially when it comes to a cut throat environment like Versailles.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 13, 2013 11:51 PM

Jul 2008
Damn it Oscar why didn't you kill him? Nothing will change with men like him still alive, and plus Antionette was a bigger idiot by punishing her. Maybe if she would get involved in these affairs like she's supposed to Oscar wouldn't have to fight like this.

Idiots all around.
Mar 30, 2014 6:24 PM

Jan 2014
is Antoinette actually trying to protect Oscar?
Sep 29, 2014 9:32 PM

Mar 2012
Well that was a lazy solution to Guacamole's trap. The plot armor was strong in this one.
Mar 9, 2015 4:11 PM

Apr 2014
hmmm I liked everything about Oscar so far, but I don't like how she's scared of taking lives. I suppose that's a good thing but I was hoping she would be more ruthless

god I'm trying really really really hard to sympathize with Marie but she's making this too difficult...I truly hope she's trying to help Oscar and isn't just being a child
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2015 8:05 PM

Jan 2010

I mean, I know what's going on even without the show egging the viewer along (no thanks to history classes), but still. Despite that, it actually is interesting to see the character of Marie Antoinette change as the show goes on. Well, she hasn't exactly changed much, but enough that there's a clear feeling of her position getting to her head. She has always loved freedom, but the freedom she wants isn't something easily exercised by her position, at least without repercussions. To be fair, she didn't exactly chose this path, and it's silly to criticize history like this. It's still odd to hear Andre and Oscar comment on these events, as if they were also viewers whom are also tired of all this nonsense.
Sep 23, 2015 12:45 AM

Mar 2012
Finally Antoinette does something worthy as a Queen.

Oscar, defying a Duke? That was really stupid, woman.
Its better for her to be penalized by the queen herself.
Jan 6, 2016 2:25 PM
Nov 2014
Dat plot armor for Oscar tho. Not that I'm complaining or anything, would hate to see Oscar went down this early in the show.
Jun 9, 2016 12:39 AM

Jan 2013
What a razor sharp judgement by our lovely Queen....
For all the supposed boasting, Guemuene is a fucken crybaby.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 8, 2016 8:49 PM

Feb 2009
Yeah OK because I totally buy that she could formulate that plan and deflect a bullet with a gun in seconds and walk away unscathed.

This was complete garbage.
Jan 5, 2017 1:27 PM

Apr 2012
This episode reminded me of Barry Lyndon.
Jul 6, 2017 1:48 AM

Jul 2015
"Hm... What's that light? Oh yeah, it's a trap! Looks like he won't count to 10, so I will use that time to plan my strategy... hell yes, that sure will work!" proceeds to parry the gunshot with her gun and then she shots him in the hand while blinded by the light.

C'mon man, this is not JoJo.
Oct 1, 2017 1:48 PM

May 2009
Did she seriously block the bullet with her gun? This is ridiculous smh
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Nov 9, 2017 9:08 AM

Jun 2013
Secret technique: Quickscoping With 18th Century Firearms
Dec 11, 2017 2:06 PM

Nov 2016
Glad that Oscar teached that dick a lesson.

And wow, for the first time Antoinette behaved like a person for her rank,but unfortunately not for the right matter imo.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2019 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
I guess there was not much logical writing in how Oscar won the duel. An obvious plot armor is obvious. And that was kinda lame the way it was handled. However, I'm loving she's still alive.
Sep 22, 2019 12:03 PM

Oct 2012
Agree w the rest of you guys that the duel was won with plot armor. (It would have made more sense if she just dodged or something.) But idk if I'd say this ep was garbage, there were a lot of great moments in the direction (that one transition with the Joker card being shot, the ending shot) and tho Antoinette was being foolish in the beginning her hardass condemnations in the ending along with her godly piano theme in that scene was really badass.

Even when this show is being stupid, it's quite beautiful...

...seriously, if anyone can find the song in the OST from the scene I was talking about, id do unspeakable things for you...
Sep 10, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2015
Nice to see Oscar teaching that duke a lesson even after he tried to use some trick to win. With the last scene Marie actually acting as a queen for once despite it not being the thing she should focus at considering she spends tax money on stupid frivolous things and should worry about her own life instead of Oscar.

Dec 31, 2020 7:39 PM
Dec 2015
I'm pretty sure dodging in a pistol duel was against the rules, or at least considered cowardly, so I'd hardly consider that a more feasible solution than blocking the bullet with the gun, which is still completely stupid in its own right.
Feb 3, 2021 10:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
We see both the bad and the good of Marie Antoinette in this episode. She's shallow, entitled and oblivious to whats happening in the country around her, but she's also noble and protective of her friends. She's doing Oscar a huge favor here. You do not shoot a royal duke and get away with it, even if it was a duel.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 2, 2021 1:15 AM

Nov 2018
The stupidest episode so far. Yeah , blocking a bullet with a gun with seconds left for a preparation. Nice. Very nice.

Moron queen keeps getting 0 development , only becoming worse and worse.

Oscar is simply too perfect. 0 mistakes , too smart to live and too beautiful to dislike. Even evil duke commented about her beauty IMAO.

Too dramatic when nothing happens , characters seem to go completely braindead too often , except for Oscar and Orlean's piece of shit.
I hate everyone equally
Mar 29, 2021 4:51 AM

Aug 2018
Lmao cheat and still lose, n1 Duke deGeumenee.

Confinement for 1 month is a bit much, I dont like Antoinette at all anymore. Shes sexy as fuck but really stupid.

Jul 18, 2022 8:53 AM

Apr 2016
Andre is starting to get the feeling, the urge for revolution.

Such an opulent display of editing when they portray Marie's indulgence and her mom's disappointment and concern about it, loved it.

Love how fast Marie got dress up to try to stop the duel lol.

I don't care about how implausible the result was, I mean is a show about woman being allowed to be a soldier like is nothing, realism left the room the very first episode.
Aug 9, 2022 2:30 PM

Mar 2018
This is one of the worst series I've seen.
Oct 3, 2022 12:46 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The duel was a bit decaffeinated!!! :(
Jan 13, 2023 9:59 PM
Oct 2022
i just love this series. SO good. I've learned so much about anime this year. it's beautiful lol <3
May 26, 2023 6:52 AM

Jan 2021
Oscar is so perfect that the only thing anyone can "insult" about her is that she is a woman. I'm glad de Guemene is stupid, he said he would shoot Oscar in the forehead and of course Oscar would immediately protect her forehead.

Duke Orleans, Duke de Guemene.. all these Dukes are totally, completely, absolute assholes.

I was kind of surprised that Marie realized there were people who didn't like Oscar.. so she gave her that punishment in order to protect her. Apparently she still has some common sense and brain in her head. Glad to know that, Lady Antoinette.

Apr 1, 12:27 AM
Jul 2020
Marie is getting worse and worse by the minute, and the Duke is still alive… Hopefully Oscar can see what is happening to the people of France, and for that to be strong enough to make her knock some sense into Marie!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 9 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Oct 19, 2008

44 by Cam1922 »»
Jun 1, 6:24 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 3 Discussion

yma981 - Sep 24, 2008

42 by Cam1922 »»
May 31, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

66 by Cam1922 »»
May 27, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 38 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Dec 13, 2008

42 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
May 11, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

25 by MysteriousFriend »»
May 5, 2:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.