Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 7, 2012 11:47 AM

Apr 2010
meepsheep said:
inn0centdem0n said:
waaaaaaaaaaa! I want to see the face of Oreki's aniki. Shames! I think she's reaaaaaaaallllly beautiful.. :)))) why the hell don't they show it anyway?

I thought aniki meant "older brother" LOL

i think she meant aneki, which is the sister verison.
Aug 7, 2012 2:59 PM

Jul 2011
Damn Satoshi, what is up with you and I feel pretty bad for Mayaka, had no idea they all picked on her like that...
Aug 7, 2012 3:02 PM

Jul 2010
gaidenraiden said:
I think that Oreki's sister might play a larger role in the overall story since Chitanda recognizes her, despite the fact that it was never shown that both of them have met before. Maybe she's a renown writer or something?

And I wonder how Chitanda views her relationship with Oreki?

She has never shown any signs of being interested in him romantically, unlike Oreki who is obviously likes her (and has had dirty thoughts of her being naked and also looking at her cleavage).

Overall it's a good episode, and Satoshi should work together with Oreki and the Classics Club as a team rather than try to compete.

Or maybe she just resembles Oreki, so she had that "face looks familiar" feeling because of familial resemblance.

I disagree that Chitanda has never shown any signs of being interested in Oreki romantically. Especially in the OVA (episode 11.5) she came across as being very interested, just too shy to come out and say it. But that is just my opinion...
Aug 7, 2012 7:52 PM

Aug 2008
Some speculation hurr. I think

Aug 8, 2012 12:00 AM

May 2011
Ohhh shittt Satoshi finally snapped with his envy. And I am a bit surprised that Mayaka hasn't, especially after what that bitch did to her this ep. Ahh gf that look of regret on that girl's face after she got more than she wanted. Tbh that type of things happens every time someone tries something.

Chitanda with her new stare. o.o
Aug 8, 2012 1:33 PM

Sep 2007
Clever viral marketing for Kudryaka's Order. Glad to see everything come full circle. This arc has been blowing all the others right out of the water so far.
WasabiAug 8, 2012 1:38 PM
Aug 9, 2012 7:06 AM

Aug 2008
witchhuntress said:
Hmm I think that the Kanya Fest mystery isn't just based on The ABC Murders but also And Then There Were None.

The ABC Murders=ABC pattern--(In Hyouka) Gojuuon pattern (a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko)
And Then There Were None=10 soldiers in the rhyme--(In Hyouka) Ten from the syllabary in Gojuuon

BUT, since "ku" was skipped, I guess the completion of the pattern wasn't the case here...

Or maybe it wasn't skipped? It's just not realized yet?

I believe it has some connection to And Then There were None, I'm going to spoil the ending of the novel, so don't click if you don't want to know it:

Well, it's just my theory.
Aug 9, 2012 11:49 AM
Jun 2012
meepsheep said:

And the girl who threw brown water at Mayaka. >:c Does she even have a motive for doing that? lols

She's part of the vocaloid gang, even if she's not cosplaying. If you go back to episode 12, the scene where that group all put their fists in the air, you can see she's a part of it.

destructo22 said:
Kaho (fortune club girl from ep13 that knew Chitanda has a doing with this case. In their little conversation, Chitanda mentioned if one of her relatives, who she called "Mr. Juumonji," was doing fine. Oh hey, what a coincidence! The one behind this mystery is called Juumonji.

Yes, no coincident. Hotaro remarks on that in an earlier episode. But why use that family's name? Did they just think it makes for a clever pun? Feels like there should be more to it.

destructo22 said:
Plus, Kaho is seen in the OP, so she's gotta be important somehow.

If you look carefully, you can find most of the side characters there.
Aug 9, 2012 1:13 PM

Feb 2010
Good episode... this arc is moving along nicely. It's long, but I've enjoyed each step along the way.
Aug 9, 2012 7:58 PM

Jul 2009
Something tells me Oreki-onee-san is indirectly involved... she's trying to give Houtarou a hint by giving him that manga.

I expect the cleavage to be much more detailed on the BD/DVD release :3

I really hope Satoshi gets a win here soon, he's starting to resent Houtarou's superior reasoning...

I also feel really bad for Mayaka... who knew she was getting bullied so hard?
wheresthehandleAug 9, 2012 8:17 PM
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Aug 10, 2012 2:12 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, good episode. This school festival is starting to drag on a little bit, in my mind. Hopefully it'll all wrap up next episode, so they can move on to what might be the last arc of the series. I don't think Oreki's sister is involved directly, that seems just too obvious. I think she's there just to guide him with clues and whatnot. (she's pretty much been doing that the whole series) I think the student council person might have something to do with it. Maybe this was all staged from the beginning?

Satoshi is definitely acting different now. I understand his envy/jealousy of Oreki. I just wonder how that is going to affect their friendship and how that is all going to develop with the few number of episodes remaining.

Chitanda was awesome this episode, I must say. Her eyes and especially her Yandere moment was priceless. And at the very end....LOLz! FaceMicrophone!
Aug 10, 2012 7:01 AM

Apr 2011
Tomoe has nice dress! I want this...
I like the eastern style.

This manga looks good. I'd love to read this :d
These arts... mmm!
REALLY REALLY WANT.

Chitanda was pretty dumb at the end. Oh My...
Aug 10, 2012 5:25 PM

Jun 2008
The sister seem fun! Wanted to see what she looks like. :(
Aug 10, 2012 6:43 PM
Jun 2012
There's this other thing. The circle behind the manga calls itself "Ajimu Takuha", and there are small text to help with pronouncing the kanji. But oddly, this is usually in kana (furigana), but here it is in the Latin alphabet. Why do that? Nothing much happens if you use kana as normal?

Well, this arc has had a mystery that's all about initial syllables. In kana the name becomes 'A Ji Mu Ta Ku Ha'. Can we match these initial to any names? We have the names of two members of the circle. Muneyoshi Kugayama and Haruna Anjou. That's 'Mu Ku Ha A', four out of six. Bit much to be a coincident, isn't it? But can we match the last two, 'Ta Ji'?

Is there a 'Ta Ji', or 'Ji Ta', in our list of suspect perhaps?
Aug 10, 2012 7:59 PM

Jul 2012
I found “安心院 Ajimu” in Oita.
http://www.ajimukk.com/azimu.html
Aug 10, 2012 10:20 PM
Aug 2012
Helpme said:
There's this other thing. The circle behind the manga calls itself "Ajimu Takuha", and there are small text to help with pronouncing the kanji. But oddly, this is usually in kana (furigana), but here it is in the Latin alphabet. Why do that? Nothing much happens if you use kana as normal?

Well, this arc has had a mystery that's all about initial syllables. In kana the name becomes 'A Ji Mu Ta Ku Ha'. Can we match these initial to any names? We have the names of two members of the circle. Muneyoshi Kugayama and Haruna Anjou. That's 'Mu Ku Ha A', four out of six. Bit much to be a coincident, isn't it? But can we match the last two, 'Ta Ji'?

Is there a 'Ta Ji', or 'Ji Ta', in our list of suspect perhaps?

Tanabe Jirou!
Aug 11, 2012 2:16 AM

Dec 2011
I love Mayaka so much.
Aug 11, 2012 3:42 AM
Jul 2009
I'm just gonna go off and state my observation with bold titles so that I have a record to look back at once the solution is revealed.

About Satoshi and Oreki
Am I the only one who thinks Satoshi might have feelings for Oreki? I mean he does seem to be really interested in how Oreki is developing as a person, and is in the sewing club. As Japan is often a little "behind" on such things, there stereotype of a possibly homosexual character being in the sewing club is to be expected. Further more he seems to have zero interest in any of the women. I don't think he batted an eye hanging out with Chitanda and Ibara at the swimming pool. When Ibara asked him out, even though he agreed (perhaps to keep up appearances) he completely blew her off and showed zero remorse.

What I'm getting at is I think Satoshi's feelings are more complicated that mere rivalry. He keeps stating he's a Database and is content with being unable to actually solve mysteries. Of course that doesn't have to be true, and he does seem committed to catching the culprit before Oreki can solve it from just sitting on his butt, but then immediately after we see him turn and wish Oreki the best. This might be something a rival would do, but at the same time he has always taken an interest on how solving the mysteries is helping Oreki slowly open up as a person.

Considering Ibara is Oreki's ex-girlfriend (or well they at least grudging went to a dance together) it would mean Oreki has something of a harem on his hands. Regardless, It would make for an interesting love triangle. Especially once Chitanda falls for Ibara, which is going to happen aaanny moment now....

About the Student Council President
he can pretty much go anywhere and do anything at any time without suspicion. Not only that, people expect him to be everywhere. Furthermore the Kanya fest pamphlets left with the "lost" not could be there to tip people off that this event should be considered part of the festival. Everyone is certainly getting excited over it. Also none of the lost items are things that are sorely missed, as he wouldn't want to impede the festival.

Possible Motive
Perhaps the group that wrote a Corpse by Midnight broke up after-all. he thinks it's a shame that their next book's plot would go unrealized, so he decides to bring the book to life, perhaps to encourage the group to reform.

Other Possibility
The groups is still together and is working together as Juumonji. In this case some of the members could have graduated, and I would include Oreki's sister as possibly one of them. I don't think he is going around eh school doing stuff, but perhaps making sure a copy of A Corpse by Midnight was present in the kotenbu was her primary role.

About Lost Objects and a Corpse by Midnight
Not sure on the book's Japanese title, but it obviously translates as Corpse by Midnight. Write that in katakana and it starts with Ko. If the doujin circle has been planning this for a year, perhaps a Corpse by Midnight being Lost by the kotenbu was the planned finale all this time. Hence the importance of making sure that the book is there.

Further more, A Corpse by Midnight is an item that Ibara actually DID lose much earlier int eh arc. A big deal was made of her being unable to find it. It's possible the copy in play right now is the one she lost... though I really don't see someone breaking into her room to steal it. This show's just not like that.

About the Manga Girls
Pretty sure the president of the manga society Ibara argued with waay back when is part of the doujin group that wrote a corpse by midnight. If you remember, she was arguing with Ibara in order to get attention. While they were arguing someone put a sign in the hall advertising their argument. People came in to see it. Further more the argument was about how a manga's success it determined. The president has a rather jaded view, though it's also evident she was arguing for the sake of arguing. Perhaps A Corpse By midnight's lack of popularity, despite how well done it was lead to her current world view. perhaps this is why the plot of their planned next work is being demonstrated in such a public way.

About the Fortune Teller
She's probably related to someone involved, and if this really has been in planning for a year, heard about it and gave Chitanda a tip.

More about Oreki's Sister
If she's involved in the plot at all, and it has been in planning for a year, and will end with A Corpse by Midnight going missing in the kotenbu... this would be part of the reason she wanted Oreki to keep the kotenbu alive waay back at the beginning of the season. Further more having Oreki there woudl make it really easy for her to deliver a copy of the book to the room, despite graduating.

The other possibility is she's not part of the group, but an accomplice. She actually dropped the book off to distract Oreki, who will perhaps think it's the item will go missing. (He keeps saying it has a purpose and he's not done with it.)

The other other possibility, is that she knows about the plot form her previous years at the school and came by solely to give Oreki the book as a clue.

About Oreki's sister's Face
I don't think this makes her suspicious. I think this might just be something set up as a running joke. I'm guessing everyone is going to say how much she looks like a smiling Oreki, which will forever be left up to the viewer's imagination. It would also imply her face is not the most feminine.

About Satoshi and the guy with the bowl cut
The guy with the bowl cut is very suspicious. He's always first on the scene, and people gather around him. perhaps he's already committed the crime, and is using trying to catch the culprit as an alibi? Or if he's working as part of a group, if everyone's gathering with him to wait, he's creating a distraction by having them wait somewhere where they won't see the crime be committed.

About Kudryavka Order
It's obviously important, and I'm sure the key as to why that one letter was skipped lies inthem following this order. Food for thought: Kudryavka is better known as Laika. So Raika Order. Ra i ka is much easier to break down in Japanese. I feel like there's something here that I'm just barely missing.

Also Laika's Japanese Wikipedia article has a cuter picture than her US one, FWIW.

About Agatha Christie
I haven't read any of her books, nor watched "The Agatha Christie Mysteries" when it aired on TV, so I'm sure I'm at a serious disadvantage here.

About Chitanda's Swimsuit
It's really really nice. But is is worth ~$70 to own it in full HD?
XerainAug 11, 2012 3:55 AM
Aug 11, 2012 5:16 AM

May 2012
I love how much oreki is so scared of Chitanda's curiosity =P.
Aug 14, 2012 11:40 AM

Mar 2011
Dat ending.
Aug 16, 2012 1:42 PM

Dec 2011
I think we reached the end of the straw millionaire line... but who knows?

fountain pen >>> pin >>> gun >>> wheat flour >>> Mayaka's mirror>>>"A Corpse By The Evening" manga from Oreki's sis.

I can't believe they still hasn't shown Oreki's aneki! Dang it. I wanna see what she looks like.

Cannot believe the manga Mayaka's looking for is connected to this Juumonji Theft. This crime has been planned a year ago!

Also, Chitanda's famous catchphrase. Still love it.
She also got a chance for an on-air radio with the Broadcasting Club!
She will finally shine.

Poor Fukube, always inferior to Oreki.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2012 3:14 PM

Aug 2012
Thought this episode was so and so.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one getting frustrated over the fact that Oreki's aneki's face still hasn't been shown. She's a bit of a mysterious character but not to that extent, wouldn't hurt to see her face at least.

I'm interested to see how things will turn out between Houtarou and Satoshi, he clearly has an inferiority complex building up. Granted I haven't watched episode 17 yet (going to after this) so maybe something will happen in that episode.

I'm surprised more people aren't pissed at the manga club members for treating Ibara the way they do. It's seriously starting to piss me off, I wish she would stand up for herself a bit more. And like TS wrote, Yuasa is one of my hated characters now too. She's either dumb or simply pretending not to see what's going on. Either way I don't like her. I hope Ibara does something epic to put them all in their rightful place.

First post here so sorry if I'm being random but at least it's a dynamic entry.

Cheers.
Aug 22, 2012 6:53 PM

Nov 2007
Chitanda gets so annoying when she pesters him. I don't think I could deal with a girl like that.

aww no adult contents. odd not showing the face of his sister. I still think the culprit is that guy competing him in the contests.
Sep 5, 2012 1:01 PM

Aug 2012
I really dislike how this show has pretty much hit or miss. A couple episodes seem a little pointless, maybe it's just poor pacing.
But my god, when it hits, IT HITS HARD.

Honestly though, the episodes leading up to this point were almost putting me to sleep, it was all worth it though. The dramatic conclusion and seeing Oreki put it all together, I was on pins and needles.

... Not looking forward to the next couple episodes. They could be great, but I'm not giving my hopes up. The curse of something that is hit or miss, you never know what you're going to get.
Sep 7, 2012 2:36 AM

Apr 2010
I have never, ever, not even once, seen a character as annoying as Chitanda. For Pete's sake... Oreki you've earned my respect.
Sep 12, 2012 4:16 PM

Jan 2012
K-on!..
Sep 24, 2012 7:16 AM

Sep 2011
Those girls who's picking on Mayaka is getting on my nerves. -_-

mystik said:
Chitanda gets so annoying when she pesters him. I don't think I could deal with a girl like that.

This.

Sep 27, 2012 9:51 AM

Sep 2011
LOL at the end. Chitanda... o.-
Oct 10, 2012 8:02 AM

May 2012
Decent episode that ending was quite funny :p
Oct 17, 2012 4:03 PM

Nov 2009
The ending was pretty funny, would be pretty embarrassed if that was me.
Nov 13, 2012 2:32 AM

Jun 2011
Lol at the end.. So when will we get to see Oreki's nee-san face?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 20, 2012 5:20 AM

Sep 2012
goddamn i hate those girls from manga society
Nov 22, 2012 11:29 PM
Aug 2012
kevsterr95 said:
goddamn i hate those girls from manga society

A lot of people keep asking why Mayaka doesn't fight back! From earlier ep's Mayaka has always appeared to me to be a rather hot-headed person character, someone who has a short fuse and wouldn't hesitate to get into a fight. But from the first episode of this arch she somewhat appeared different, she had a much softer expression and even looked rather shy/embarrassed. I though it was because of the "cosplay" (as she hates it to be called) that she attended dressed in.
But I think now I know why. For some reason she knew what was coming to her...lol It seems she isn't exactly in good terms with the manga club, although some of the members don't necessarily have anything against her they just don't stand up for her. As to the question about her fighting back I daresay hell, why doesn't she just leave the club? WTH is there to keep her coming besides the manga? Even then, she can always do her manga elsewhere, even in the classics club since they barely do anything in that club.
Jan 25, 2013 6:19 AM
Dec 2012
Kudryavka?
At that moment, I remember Little Busters' Kud o.O
Jan 26, 2013 4:20 PM

Nov 2012
Hmm, I find Satoshi's increasing irritability at Oreki's intense problem solving powers understandable, but I hope either he manages to recognize his self worth somehow or at least can discuss his conflicting feelings openly to someone?
Oreki's blush at Chitanda's cleavage was slightly irksome, and although Chitanda's enthusiasm is appreciable she reeally over does it sometimes..
Here's hoping Ibara will stop suffering from bullying soon ._.
Feb 13, 2013 11:02 PM

Jun 2011
God I love all the members of the Classics Club. Houtarou is so cool and mysterious and has an interesting way of thinking. Satoshi is such an underdog, you can totally feel to root for him. Chitanda is just adorable and I love the relationship she has with Houtarou. For Mayaka I can't specifically say why I like her, I just do. I think it's because she is very confident in her opinions and beliefs, I can just root for her too.
Mar 17, 2013 4:05 PM

Feb 2011
HAHAHAHAHHA She hit her head on the microfone xD hahaha
Apr 5, 2013 10:32 PM

Jan 2013
A better episode.
But why must Eru call Houtarou by his last name Oreki and with the suffix san.
They will never make any romantic progression at this rate.
All hope is gone.
Just left with mildy interesting mysteries.
wahhhhhhhhhhhhh
May 26, 2013 12:52 PM

Dec 2012
RediceRyan said:
A better episode.
But why must Eru call Houtarou by his last name Oreki and with the suffix san.
They will never make any romantic progression at this rate.
All hope is gone.
Just left with mildy interesting mysteries.
wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Because she looks up to Oreki and doesn't see him as an equal.
Jun 25, 2013 10:24 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Stake fun, beautiful with the final Eru! XD I did not understand what happens in Mayaka club.
Jun 29, 2013 8:01 AM

Jan 2013
The dynamic of Satoshi and Houtarou being equal is changing. Satoshi is becoming increasingly jealous of him and knows that he is unable to compete with him. This mystery is also getting a lot more interesting, especially since it involves Houtarou's sister who has been mysterious throughout the show.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 25, 2013 2:00 PM

Jan 2012
Whoah, Satoshi... He really does seem down, its like he's 'acknowledged' that Oreki is better than him! An episode or two ago, he was saying that being able to pinpoint the suspect is 'humanly impossible', so i guess if Oreki does find out whom it is, its gonna affect their friendship, either damage it, or make satoshi realise that Oreki just has better deductive skills :/
Anyways, this episode did make me laugh at some points, REALLY WANT TO SEE HIS SISTERS FACE!!!! >_____< WATASHI, KIRINIRIMASU!!!!
And Mayaka... The bullying at the manga soc is getting really bad now, even if it was 'an accident', she should've apologised sincerely.
Anyways, cnext episode seems to be the epic climax to this mystery!!! XD
Sep 27, 2013 1:42 AM

Oct 2009
I want to see Oreki's sisters face :(!
Nov 17, 2013 6:48 AM

Oct 2013
ohhh man is her head ok?
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 27, 2013 12:03 AM

Jun 2012
Good episode.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Dec 31, 2013 10:16 PM

Sep 2012
First thought of Kudryavka from Little Busters!.
Jan 2, 2014 4:22 AM

Jun 2013
Why don't they just show the face of Oreki's sister? Hmmm... She's suspicious to me.
Ibara was being too kind to that stupid girl. If I were her... Oh, I'm not a fighter and brave enough as well.
Oreki x Chitanda <3
Satoshi being jealous to Oreki...
Lol at Chitanda being careless in the end.
Jan 15, 2014 10:46 AM

Jul 2013
Oh looks like Oreki has something up for the Juumoji incident. LOL Chitanda wants to get involved but blurt out with an "Adult" topic XD, though those eyes of hers....

Damn Manaka is still getting the cold treatment even getting splashed on her clothers, those girls are just annoying bunch of brats.

LOL nice greeting on the broadcasting room Chitanda XD.

Mar 19, 2014 12:36 AM

Jun 2012
so mean to Mayaka D'=
haha they never show his sister's face. Kira will never be able to kill her!! xD yes, that came to my mind.
I like that straw millionaire concept =o
so Satoshi's reaction when Oreki said he may have figured it out without ever leaving the club room, urgh I could sense those feelings.

I didn't see Irisu-senpaiiiii )= ><

Mar 25, 2014 6:38 PM

Aug 2013
Poor Satoshi, he seem really desperate to catch that thief. He really can't rivalize with Houtarou...

Damn, it's really not Mayaka arc, isn't it? It's almost like everyone want her head :/
That girl was such a bitch, that manga club is more a like bitch club.

For a second, I felt sorry for Chitanda when Houtarou ignored her, but then she became enlightned again xD
That head bang at the end was hilarious.

That case is really interresting. I wonder where it will be going. So it was planning since 1 year ago, that's some great determination from the thief/thieves :P
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.