Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2012 11:27 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of surprised to see Shinji suddenly break up with Hiroko while drunk after episode 4 seemed to show him resolve to put more effort into the relationship. I guess Shinji doesn't really matter in this episode, though.

The way part of the narrative was already presented in the last episode makes this a little disjointed.
Aug 6, 2012 1:52 PM

Jan 2010
I liked the disjointed narrative because the last episode focused more on work, while this one focused on her personal life. Keep going Hiro, you'll be the 51st Samurai :D
Sep 24, 2012 7:15 PM
Mar 2011
shinji is an ass. he doesnt like his life and his work, failure as a contractor, so he find faults on hiroko, who is a talented writer, and make her feel bad about hers.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Sep 24, 2012 7:54 PM

Jun 2010
amginex said:
shinji is an ass. he doesnt like his life and his work, failure as a contractor, so he find faults on hiroko, who is a talented writer, and make her feel bad about hers.

I think it's more than he just feels inferior to her because, as he says, she manages to give her all when she's working while his job seems to be a disappointment to him. I can't really fault him for not wanting to be around someone who makes him feel terrible about himself with no apparent way to fix that.

Shinji's persistent frustration is just another facet of this series' examination of working life. Not everybody ends up working a job they can love and faking the enthusiasm to turn it into a big success regardless can be difficult and draining.
Oct 21, 2012 7:29 PM

Oct 2011
great episode, great ending, great anime!!! hataraki man captures real life in a way most shows can't even come close to.........the walls we put up of false happy veneer between friends, lovers, family and pretend everything's all right when it isn't - this episode captured the breaking up of a relationship in the most realistic way: the slow fade out of romance until it all just becomes a dull routine - sad but true.......but then at the end, a possibility of new romance - we never know what lies in store for us next - this is real life! will definitely be reading the manga at some time in the future - hopefully someday season two?
Feb 16, 2013 1:53 PM

Dec 2008
My body is ready if they one day ever make a second season.
Loved the show. Not one boring episode. The characters were great. The drama was great. The OST was fantastic. Matsutaka was an incredible lead. Shame there wasn't enough Kaji. Matsutaka's doctor friend was freakin hilarious. I wouldn't mind her as a doctor. The only people I didn't like were Yumi & the artist who painted Kaji nude . I hope he dies. It was a sh*t painting too. SugawaraxMatsutaka should happen. Better than that crappy Shinji. But in the end, MatsutakaxKaji is my crack OTP :D
Apr 25, 2013 11:36 PM
Aug 2011
Screw you Shinji.

4/10 for this anime.
Not that it's bad but my experience while watching it was bad or I should say boring/mundane.
Jul 3, 2013 5:22 PM

Nov 2011
>You're only a girl.
Yup, Matsukata was pissed after that which I'm not surprised at. Their relationship isn't going too well lately.

The song in the middle was a good flag for a breakup. As for Shinji, oh god, the way he acts when he's drunk is just fucking priceless.

Average ending to this show. It started off strong but went downhill for me. 5.5/10.
Oct 22, 2013 11:56 AM

Nov 2010
Great show overall
The story really picked up halfway with some amazing stories
Episode 7 (Saloon) and 8 (Salesmen) were my favorites
Apr 30, 2015 7:26 AM

Mar 2013
sarroush said:
SugawaraxMatsutaka should happen.

yes please..
Mar 19, 2017 5:09 AM

Mar 2016
Kaoreen said:
sarroush said:
SugawaraxMatsutaka should happen.

yes please..

Double yes!!! HAHA :))) They like fit together really well, idk why haha.
Jan 16, 2018 5:41 AM
Aug 2014
So in the end Matsukata finally realizes that she loves her job more than her partner, which with all the things she has put up with was rather obvious. And as the magazine she works for is still in business and one of it's authors managed to sell over half a million books they obviously have a decent readership.

Best episode for me was the masseuse one, the others felt rather shallow.

Also unsure why it has the comedy tag.
Jan 28, 2019 1:30 AM

Aug 2017
So, Hiroko break up with Shinji and they end with a possible HirokoxSugawara.

Well, I think that the show was ok. The first half was better.

6/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 8, 2019 9:43 AM

Oct 2012
When you love your job more than anything else
Doing what you're loving as a job is a blessing
It's just sad that she broke up with Shinji but I don't know sometimes it can happen when a couple, both of them is so focused on their jobs
Better break up than being hurt

Very enjoyable journey, but the ending is rather disappointing :(
A lot of unexplained things, like why Kaji became "painting" never really properly explained
Shinji's feelings are a bit weird, just because he feel "smaller" than Hiroko.. he decided to break up just like that
Rayl1ghtApr 8, 2019 10:06 AM
"Signature removed"
Jan 5, 2020 1:30 PM

Nov 2016
You sacrifice a lot for your job, but ultimately it's what gives you satisfaction and hold in life. The narrative was building up to this outcome and it was inevitable that Matsutaka and Shinji would break up. Unusual way to end, but fitting for a slice of life series featuring the life of working people.

Overall I really enjoyed it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 15, 2020 5:09 AM

Jun 2013
I think this anime would not be well regarded today in Japan in the face of population decline. Today there is an effort for women to get more excited for children than work.
Apr 2, 2020 6:03 AM

Dec 2013
I honestly like this anime. I like its maturity and realism. I understand some people may not like this and find this pretty boring. But it's kind of relatable to some working adults

I can't believe Shinji broke up with Hiro, but I kind of ship Hiro x Sugawara. Lol

Overall, I'll give this an 8/10

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Oct 20, 2021 12:17 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They ended it on a sad note hmm, but well that was definitely realistic about Japanese working society
May 13, 2023 2:49 PM

Sep 2020
Disappointing ending because she didn't get her long-awaited boning.

Fun show overall, really great portrayal of work life imbalance and unfulfillment. Most of the comedy wasn't a big hit with me, but all that personal drama was great.

8 sexless nights /10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Nov 12, 2023 1:27 PM
Dec 2022
Reply to SlammyHammy
Disappointing ending because she didn't get her long-awaited boning.

Fun show overall, really great portrayal of work life imbalance and unfulfillment. Most of the comedy wasn't a big hit with me, but all that personal drama was great.

8 sexless nights /10
@SlammyHammy I agree with you, the anime might not be pink but it most definitely is real

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 8 Discussion

octal9 - Mar 31, 2012

12 by Kristiwazhere »»
Oct 24, 2023 1:59 PM

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 6 Discussion

octal9 - Jan 18, 2012

17 by Recynon »»
Oct 19, 2023 2:07 PM

» Shinji

Fronzel - Sep 24, 2012

4 by cornonacob »»
Sep 29, 2023 12:22 AM

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 1 Discussion

Shocked - Jul 12, 2012

14 by Timu101 »»
Sep 25, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 7 Discussion

octal9 - Feb 10, 2012

10 by SlammyHammy »»
May 13, 2023 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.