Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 2, 2012 1:37 AM

Jun 2010
Epic Actioni, Moderate Fanservice. Im kinda disappointed because I expected more from the art. Slow start but Im sure we will see epic scenes soon. Again, a lot of unanswered questions but hopefully we get to know all of the facts here. The way they delivered it is awesome. The Animation is cool. Expecting this to be a great series. Can't wait for the big time seiyuus to appear.
Jul 2, 2012 1:45 AM

Feb 2008
You know, that really wasn't so bad. Obviously the budget isn't quite at the level that the anime deserves, but I feel like they did a good job of conveying how grim the situation for humanity is with the BETA invasion, at least as much as they could with 22 minutes. What they need to do in the next episode is show how terrifying the BETA really are, not just that they're powerful, but how nightmarish they can really be. Hopefully things keep serious instead of falling to ASS and TITTIES because I'd like to see more people get into the MuvLuv franchise.
Jul 2, 2012 1:46 AM

Dec 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
Netto_Azure said:
Gruesome anime too since they literally showed the Zerg BETA feeding scenes. :V
This:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb480/Yumekichi11/Picture%2024/936f5c2b.gif
must be that part right. A friend showed it to me but I don't how he got that part or from where.

Let me move this discussion to the other thread.
Jul 2, 2012 2:10 AM

Jul 2009
Really like the grim and depressive atmosphere in ep1. It's one thing to see the world decay, but it's one whole other level to know you are unable to stop the rot.

I especially really love the way the obscure the BETA footages. An unknown fear is way scarier than a clear one.

mystik said:
why are high school girls in these mechas? why are they the front line now? where are the .... boys?

They are ALL DEAD. It's that bad. The millitary had to go to female soldiers since there's no one left.
Jul 2, 2012 2:54 AM

Jun 2011
That was actually a lot better than i was expecting... lol

4/5
Jul 2, 2012 3:01 AM

May 2010
alrite first episode with GAAAAAAAAAAAAY CGI mechs (the cgi is gay.not the mechs)
Jul 2, 2012 3:52 AM

Dec 2009
This was okay, nothing mind boggling.

The suits the girls wear are absolutely ridiculous. Is this an ecchi show or?

I'll probably continue watching this as it's on Crunchyroll (Which I pay for) so.

3/5
Jul 2, 2012 4:30 AM

Jun 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Netto_Azure said:
This:
must be that part right. A friend showed it to me but I don't how he got that part or from where.

That's from Blue Gender

Also can someone explain to me how HUD when they in the cockpit works? Is it a hologram or is in transmitted into their brain cos of the head pieces that they are wearing?
Muv-Luv-erJul 2, 2012 4:36 AM
Jul 2, 2012 4:38 AM

Jul 2009
The war has been going on for 30 somewhat years and most men have been wiped out? How come teenage girls are available but teenage boys aren't? Or were they thrown into battle since infancy? The carefree setting in episode 1 doesn't seem to indicate such a desperate situation.
Jul 2, 2012 5:05 AM
Mar 2012
sbg711 said:
The war has been going on for 30 somewhat years and most men have been wiped out? How come teenage girls are available but teenage boys aren't? Or were they thrown into battle since infancy? The carefree setting in episode 1 doesn't seem to indicate such a desperate situation.

Teenage boys are almost wiped out as well, men are on the frontline first then after that women. The population is decreasing.
Muv-Luv-er said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Netto_Azure said:
This:

That's from Blue Gender

Also can someone explain to me how HUD when they in the cockpit works? Is it a hologram or is in transmitted into their brain cos of the head pieces that they are wearing?

Yeah they were transmitted to eishi's brains through the head pieces. Also the suit hides some kind of drugs or morphin to stimulate the pilots in emergency cases.
Jul 2, 2012 5:05 AM

Jun 2010
sbg711 said:

The BETA were known in 1967 and the first lunar war occurred, then in 1973 they landed in the middle-east and from they wiped out every clean from existence as they spread across of Europe and made the whole land barren of any life. The war is now continuing at asia where Japan is the front-line.

So during this time only about 1 billion people are still alive in the world because most were consumed by the BETA horde. Because of this the Earth military forces are severely under-manned, out-gunned and out-numbered (you'll know more later on why) and so they have lowered the recruitment age limit in order compensate for their lack of man-power. First only boys were recruited, but most of the new recruits got owned in less then 8 minutes in their first encounter with the BETA, and so girls were then recruited to fight as well.

However not everyone can be a Tactical Surface Fighter pilot cos you have to pass the aptitude test. Later on you'll get know more about the BETA personally and if you can't wait play the VN.
Muv-Luv-erJul 2, 2012 6:24 AM
Jul 2, 2012 5:13 AM

Jul 2008
So this is Strike Witches in a more advanced timeline and with slightly older girls and most of them bustier too?

No wonder then that over at Sankaku Complex majority said "Yay" for this while "Nay" for Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.
Jul 2, 2012 5:18 AM

Jan 2012
I really hoped we will get something similar to Rinne no lagrande and Aquarion evol in this season and we did. This was only the first episode, but I already have super high expectations for this show. All that robot training was awesome, the battle that started too. I also can't lie that I don't like the uniforms lol. Anyway, this was great. Looking forward to next episode.

Jul 2, 2012 5:19 AM
Mar 2012
entropy13 said:
So this is Strike Witches in a more advanced timeline and with slightly older girls and most of them bustier too?

No wonder then that over at Sankaku Complex majority said "Yay" for this while "Nay" for Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.

No don't judge it on the 1st ep too quick dude. Yoshimune Kouki(the original creator) is the master of dick punching with his writing style and he's in charge of Total Eclipse plot as well, the master of depression, just wait to see how it goes after several more eps. So we might expect that most of them or worst case scenarior all of them except Yui will die in the 2nd ep.
liemtodaisuJul 2, 2012 5:36 AM
Jul 2, 2012 5:54 AM

Jun 2010
liemtodaisu said:
entropy13 said:

No don't judge it on the 1st ep too quick dude. Yoshimune Kouki(the original creator) is the master of dick punching with his writing style and he's in charge of Total Eclipse plot as well, the master of depression, just wait to see how it goes after several more eps. So we might expect that most of them or worst case scenarior all of them except Yui will die in the 2nd ep.

Well he got me good in Alternative when they tested out the Japanese Alternative plan and people died T^T
Jul 2, 2012 6:02 AM

Jun 2009
liemtodaisu said:

Yeah they were transmitted to eishi's brains through the head pieces. Also the suit hides some kind of drugs or morphin to stimulate the pilots in emergency cases.

To be precise the head piece projects the image onto their eyes from the two red points in the head piece.

Sir_Lexa said:
The suits the girls wear are absolutely ridiculous. Is this an ecchi show or?

There is an actual reason behind that. Basically it's a type of conditioning. In this world on the front lines men and women share rooms, showers...everything. To summarise the suits are designed so that girls become less conscious of being naked in front of men and likewise men become used to the sight of a woman's naked body and don't react to it as much. So the point is for both sexes to view each other as soldiers rather than members of the opposite sex.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 2, 2012 6:27 AM
Apr 2011
The best part of this episode was when the instructor was talking about how pilots dont usually last more than 8 minutes and the girls were all chatting about their boyfriends.

Hahahaha, lets see how well that works out for them.
Jul 2, 2012 6:32 AM
Apr 2012
The moon was hell.

Muv-Luv-er said:

Retinal image projection, IIRC.
Jul 2, 2012 6:41 AM

Sep 2010
Bit cliche, and bit rushed. But still a good episode.

Definitely looking forward to next episode.

3.5/5
Jul 2, 2012 7:48 AM
Apr 2012
T-there was no luv in this.... THERE WAS NO LUV IN THIS

Note to self: Read synopsis and genres of all anime titles from now on

fucking Muv -_-
FightingFistoJul 2, 2012 7:56 AM
Jul 2, 2012 8:05 AM
Mar 2012
FightingFisto said:

fucking Muv -_-

The main one Alternative has Luv though lol and a really pure and epic one. That's why they said Muv-luv Alternative, Save in the name of true love. Not sure about Total Eclipse side story though.
Jul 2, 2012 9:04 AM

Oct 2010
liemtodaisu said:
FightingFisto said:

fucking Muv -_-

The main one Alternative has Luv though lol and a really pure and epic one. That's why they said Muv-luv Alternative, Save in the name of true love. Not sure about Total Eclipse side story though.
I am still baffled as to why would this have a connection to Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien? Same town? Same spots in this series? I noticed style is similar but not so in this one. So what is the whole thing of Kimi?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 2, 2012 9:07 AM

Jun 2012
Epic.
Five stars, I damn right loved it.
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

Jul 2, 2012 9:08 AM

Jul 2008
liemtodaisu said:

You can't judge it "too quick" when they immediately show the skintight suits and oppai. And it's quite obvious that they're all going to die except for her anyway, it's the "in thing" today, a lot of deaths (besides of course moe, fanservice and lolis).
Jul 2, 2012 9:29 AM
Dec 2010
Mechs in this anime would so totally rape the shit out of those in Rinne
Jul 2, 2012 10:34 AM
Jan 2011
entropy13 said:
liemtodaisu said:

You can't judge it "too quick" when they immediately show the skintight suits and oppai. And it's quite obvious that they're all going to die except for her anyway, it's the "in thing" today, a lot of deaths (besides of course moe, fanservice and lolis).

I wonder if she able to stay alive.
Jul 2, 2012 10:40 AM

Jun 2009
Oho, the early time of BETA invasion sure worked great as an introduction to the world, still felt a bit rushed. I actually expected to see Yui stationed in Alaska right away with some flashbacks or something to explain the current world situation. This worked better, though can't wait for longhair Yui.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 2, 2012 11:06 AM

Dec 2009
hotdamnbatman said:
The best part of this episode was when the instructor was talking about how pilots dont usually last more than 8 minutes and the girls were all chatting about their boyfriends.

Hahahaha, lets see how well that works out for them.

I was shocked lol. 8 minutes becomes a trope in this Prolouge lol xD
Jul 2, 2012 11:18 AM

Jul 2010
I really don't want to watch this.. The ecchi and the fanservice gets on my nerves. Dropped.
Jul 2, 2012 11:58 AM

Feb 2012
One of the more unimpressive first episodes I've seen so far, I couldn't care less about everyone and everything but I will give it another shot when shit gets real and I mean more real than now.
Jul 2, 2012 12:09 PM

Jul 2009
Opinions about this one are quite split, as it seems...

The title sound's crappy and I didn't know what to make of the picture here on MAL but the anime itself seems good enough.
Jul 2, 2012 12:20 PM

Nov 2008
Not so bad, still it seemed rushed, so it wasn't that "eyecatching", let's see what happens in next episode.
Jul 2, 2012 12:34 PM

Jul 2009
To be honest, I thought it was pretty slow. I don't know how anybody can say things were rushed. If I'm checking the timer and being surprised that I still got 10mins, then it's either I'm bored or the pacing is slow.
Jul 2, 2012 12:49 PM
Dec 2009
This was amazing, the animations werent that good, but I don't mind, so far it seems interesting.
Jul 2, 2012 12:53 PM
Jan 2011

Man, their suit give a whole new definition to "Wearing Nothing."
Jul 2, 2012 12:56 PM

Jan 2011
mmm..
will keep watching, just because the fighting might be cool to watch lol
not a fan of mechas (except Eureka Seven Ao .. but, don't know if anyone who's very into Mecha considers that mecha.. lol)

hopefully it gets interesting as the story goes on..
reminds me of Freezing (war going on... unknown things attacking.. that kind of stuff)
Jul 2, 2012 12:57 PM

Jan 2012
Nice start! And the main heroine is not your typical high school girl.
I hope this has more than 12 eps.

Jul 2, 2012 1:05 PM

Jul 2010
I must say, that was surprisingly good. Much more serious and mature than I expected it to be. It's like they're trying to hold off on us seeing the aliens in question though (other than a few flashes). Why a training school with only girls though? Are there boy training schools too?

Jul 2, 2012 1:33 PM
Jul 2008
Onyxthegreat said:
I must say, that was surprisingly good. Much more serious and mature than I expected it to be. It's like they're trying to hold off on us seeing the aliens in question though (other than a few flashes). Why a training school with only girls though? Are there boy training schools too?
There are almost no boys in the world at all.
The "not seeing the BETA" thing is actually a trend in the novels too. You bearly see them (and mostly just their outlines) until shit gets serious and even then you only see a bit of them, makes it a LOT more shocking too. Then in the third novel things start flying out of control and that's when shit hits the fan.
Jul 2, 2012 1:42 PM

Jun 2010
I am someone who has not played the visual novel & I was a little confused by the beginning. But I hope some things will become more clear, mainly for those who are totally unfamiliar with the franchise.

Anyway, I liked the setting and the designs weren't that bad. Overall it was a decent episode.
Jul 2, 2012 2:12 PM

Mar 2012
Not enjoying it very much hmm.. Maybe cos I'm not a big fan of mecha genre.. 3/5
Keep moving forward
Jul 2, 2012 2:29 PM

May 2010
Will keep watching till episode 2, looks good so far and those "enhancements suits" Hehe
Jul 2, 2012 2:53 PM

Jul 2010
Nachotee said:
There are almost no boys in the world at all.

So the men got sent out first and died and now their only fallback is teenage girls? Ok. Why am I even surprised? :P

Jul 2, 2012 2:57 PM

Jun 2012
Hydnlife said:
Will keep watching till episode 2, looks good so far and those "enhancements suits" Hehe

Agreed.
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

Jul 2, 2012 3:42 PM

Feb 2012
...Why do I get Mars of Destruction vibes from this?
Jul 2, 2012 3:50 PM

Nov 2010
Actually almost all of the person that started the franchise before are also a kind of disturbed by the plugsuits, but they keep going.

After played the franchise, knowing the reason behind the plugsuits and getting used to it, I believe everyone who have played the franchise didn't see the plugsuit as anything else other than...plugsuits. They are playing/watching not for that plugsuits! Come on, anime fandom, be mature. Learn the difference between show that made for fanservice and show that contains elements that could be saw as fanservice.
Jul 2, 2012 3:53 PM

Feb 2009
The first half was painful to watch, but I enjoyed the second half. I hope that we'll keep the darker themes going rather than going the school life route.
Jul 2, 2012 4:02 PM
Jul 2012
I red that
the main character was suppose to be a guy but all see is girls.
Jul 2, 2012 4:05 PM

Feb 2009
jose94ji said:
I red that

Indeed, but judging by the character list, it seems all but Yui will be dead eventually.

Of course, the other characters may just not have been added yet. It's hard to say.

EDIT: He'll probably appear in the next few episodes.
Jul 2, 2012 4:18 PM
Jul 2012
Arcane587 said:
jose94ji said:
I red that

Indeed, but judging by the character list, it seems all but Yui will be dead eventually.

Of course, the other characters may just not have been added yet. It's hard to say.

EDIT: He'll probably appear in the next few episodes.
ya i read that he os suppose to appear in episode 3 and the first two episodes are just backstory
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM

» Should i watch this?

Grontan - Jul 14, 2022

4 by ixarising »»
Jul 19, 2022 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.