Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2012 8:35 AM

Jun 2010
Oreki.....MESSED UP?!?! That's bad. Even I completely forgot about the rope.

Jun 25, 2012 8:45 AM

May 2011
What Houtarou came up with sure was unexpected and brilliant I've gotta say. Having the cameraman be the seventh person who was there the whole time, damnn what a twist. What's a bigger twist however was that ending, I didn't see that coming either. Him forgetting all about the rope which makes the mystery incomplete.

That "Why didn't she ask EBA?" came up again, damn it somebody go ask Eba already!
Jun 25, 2012 8:46 AM
Sep 2011
Houtarou and Satoshi seem to have quite a lot in common despite seeming so different on the outside as both of them are underestimating their potentials and regard each other as much greater individuals than themselves.

Irisu hit Houtarou at his apparently weakest point: his self-esteem. His argument that he is fine with a "grey" life and his low energy strategy are merely a pretense to hide his own insecurity, though I'm sure he doesn't even realise this himself as it is probably an unconscious protective measure.
Jun 25, 2012 9:12 AM
Jan 2011
Next eps "End Credits of The Fool".
The rope=The Hanged Man+The Wheel of Fate
?=The Fool
Jun 25, 2012 9:28 AM

Mar 2012
What's that line "Why didn't she ask EBA" at the end means? It's there for 3 chapter already, still couldn't get it..
Keep moving forward
Jun 25, 2012 9:55 AM

Aug 2008
SakuraRainbow said:
I don't understand how the rope thing disproves Houtarou's theory. Doesn't it just mean Haba had a stupid theory?

It's a declared clue.
In mystery fiction, each declared clue should contain some meanings or be some parts of the solved mystery.
I don't think this is stated in the commandments, but it is usually the case.

That's why I still believe that there is the seventh character, because Sawakiguchi declared this clue about another actor.
I also believe that the rope should have some meanings in Hongou's thoughts, because Haba declared it.

Let's say, if it turns out that both clues are just a farce that has no meaning at all, this show will turn into a disappointing crappy mystery show. I honestly don't want that to happen.

I don't think Houtarou's deduction is disproved though. He just forgot that there should be a rope somewhere in his deduction.
I still think that he is mostly right, otherwise it will be so lame. He has been badass so far.

OFF-TOPIC:

For a character, of course, I like Eru-chan the most since she is damn cute.

But for character development, so far, I'd pick Mayaka. She is getting used to Houtarou's witty deduction and is opening up to him. She has no problem hanging out alone with him for the sake of mystery solving. She can even say sorry to him. Last time she seemed to talked about him to her cousins and I honestly expected that she spoke highly of him. So to put it simply, she is being nicer to him. And on top of that, she is also pretty witty about mystery.

I hope she will change her direction from Satoshi to Houtarou for love polygon's sake. LOL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KaitoDashJun 25, 2012 10:06 AM
Jun 25, 2012 10:10 AM

Jul 2009
FlierFin663 said:
@ kyled00m

To be honest, there's not that much difference between any of the keys - they're all pretty generic. But I'm glad you brought up the windows in the two waiting rooms. Everyone assumes someone had to enter through the main hallway or the Left Wing window, but both of the waiting rooms are perfectly viable.
The smallest change in a keys tooth can make it not work for the same lock... It used to be the slightest change but shit broke too much because people didn't care for the tools they used...
Jun 25, 2012 10:20 AM

Nov 2010
What a clever solution to the mystery or was it? ;)
Jun 25, 2012 10:21 AM

Apr 2009
My theory about the rope.

Jun 25, 2012 10:27 AM

Jan 2010
Oreki failed and Chitanda devastated because of that and cant see Oreki....I want to slap her so much...:DDD

"The other side of the other side of the other side would be the other side"
Jun 25, 2012 10:49 AM

Dec 2008
I think everyone is overlooking Irisu sempai maybe because of her looks but she is completely manipulating Oreki. I feel like this entire mystery was that she is trying to make him fail by psychologically hitting his weak points, either in order to prepare him for a much bigger mystery or she is a villain herself.
Jun 25, 2012 10:53 AM

Feb 2012
@Yemi_Hikari

I was talking about one of the two waiting rooms before the murder box being the room that was used to enter from the second to the first floor because the windows in both of those rooms were both open.

1) Yuri is one of the two people who travels back to get the master key, also was the one who first got the idea to grab the master key.
2) Yuri also is the second one to pick up a key, directly after the murder victim.
3) Yuri suggested the location to sleep in.
4) Yuri Also was one of the two people in the storage room where they picked up the keys.
5) Yuri also suggested the master key stay in the storage room. (Giving the chance to grab it herself.

There just so many things that happen in the movie that were led by Yuri. One of the reasons that the rope from the second to the first floor was knocked down was because they were not sure that the weight of a person could have been supported by the house because of the age. Though this was not confirmed. I could not think of another reason for the rope though so this was what i came up as a final conclusion.
Jun 25, 2012 11:22 AM
Jan 2012
Alright, I've read a part of people's comments in this thread and pretty much everyone is pondering the same stuff:

1) The rope.
I too, as many others, completely forgot about the rope as the cameraman being the killer was just cool. If the writer herfelf asked for this, it can't be ignored.

2) The Blood.
Again with the writer. She only asked a small amount of blood, but Haba used about 15 times more blood then the writer asked.

3) The 7th person.
Okay, I know what you all think. "It's obvious so just leave it at that", and so do I. Who that seventh person is, I think it's the cameraman, as Houtarou explained.

4) The locked room.
When everyone tried to get into the room where Kaitou was, the door was locked. Kaitou just unlocked the door a few moments ago, so why was the door locked again? Okay, maybe I'm just overthinking this and coming up with stupid stuff, but to take notice for the old age of the building, it's hard to imagine the doors having locks that require the key every time you open the door. Also I noticed that all the other doors were open except for the room where Kaitou was. A little strange if you ask me.

5) The Master key.
In Houtarou's theory it was the cameraman who took the master key, killed Kaitou, returned the masterkey and resumed filming. Taking from my 4th point, the locked room, the use of the master key wasn't necessary. Also the cameraman would have been noticed by Sugimura, who was on the second room floor where he could see the lobby.

Okay, now for the explanations and my own theory, if I have one (haven't thought so far yet):

First, the blood. Since Hongou requested only a small amount of blood, it can indicate that Kaitou's time of death wasn't until the moment before everyone entered the room, since there wouln't have been so much blood yet. This eliminates the possibility of the cameraman being the killer, since there would have been more blood, if the cameraman had done it (assuming the film was done as Hongou instructed, with the little amount of blood she requested). Of course if we look at it from the point of the footage, the murder happened earlier, because the amount of blood was greater. I can only think that Haba made a mistake while considering the amount of blood, making the movie different from the script.
Second, the rope. Even if Hongou, the writer, requested it, there is no guarantee that the killer was the one using it. Since the rope was supposed to be able to withstand a persons weight, it is possible for the rope to be used by the cameraman, with the assumption that he is not the killer, but just the cameraman. The rope would have been used to film from outside of the window, bossibly while explaining the trick. An unlikely possibility, but it just came to my head.
The locked room and the master key can be explained together. As I said about the age of the building, the door should have been open, as Kaitou had just unlocked it. The master key is irrelevant, since anyone except from Sugimura would have been noticed by himself, if walking through the lobby. This increases Sugimuras chances of being the killer.

Now, time for my theory. I got a lot of ideas while writing this, so this may come out as rather confusing, but please bare with me.

My first theory:
The killer is Sugimura. He used the rope to come down from his room and circle the house to the window before Kaitou entered the room. This only works if Hougou didn't consider the summer grass being so tall, thus leaving trails. Of course this goes against Houtarous deduction about being seen from the windows, so it's a difficult one.

My second theory:
The killer is the cameraman. As Houtarou said, he was the seventh person. The horrible acting from the actors was probably Hougou's intention, as nobody really realized it was a murder film before the cameraman said "the crime occures shortly after". This means that the cameraman knew there was going to be a crime, making him the culprit. Everything goes exactly as in Houtarou's theory and the rope thing can just be ignored, since they're amateurs after all.

My last theory:
Don't really have one, but I think that the main pointers for the crime are as follow:
- The amount of blood
- The rope and how it was used
- Hougou's consideration for the summer grass
- Hada's mistake with the amount of blood
- Only one locked room, while others are open
- The murder weapon, what was used and where is it.

I know this is probably is a whole lot of bullshit, as I figured out stuff that contradict with myself as I kept writing so sorry. I can't wait for the next episode and see what happened. I just don't understand why they didn't ask Hougou in the first place. She's in the hospital because of overworking, she's not in a come of dead or anything, I know she could properly tell the rest and be done with it.

#added after deading all comments
Okay now it just seems too obvious that Yuri did it. I can now see that my deductions are crappy and have no consistency whatsoever, so don't comment on my deductions because they are probably just crap. Also, I'm not aware of the 10 laws of mystery or whatever, so I guess we can't ignore the rope or the 7th character. This just made me want to know the truth all the more. Looking forward to next week. btw, if someone got something new out of my little crap, then thank god :)
AnimeGaSukiJun 25, 2012 12:17 PM
Jun 25, 2012 12:38 PM
Feb 2012
Oh! Completely forgot about the rope myself. So Houtarou didn't solve the case after all... now I'm curious as to what the real secret behind this amateur movie will be. Anyway, 5/5 of course

Actually, it being the cameraman seemed a little lackluster a solution and way too simple in my opinion. So I'm glad that it's not over yet; otherwise I'd have been slightly disappointed by the simplicity of the case.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 25, 2012 12:42 PM

Jun 2011
nice episode
wasnt expecting oreki to fail
Jun 25, 2012 12:47 PM

Nov 2009
Ah, what should i say? Hyouka is not one of the geratest shows in its genre, but I don't care. I really enjoy those techniqes the studio uses to present the characters and the stories. It's artistically beautiful. It's an art. And honestly, the end was one of the best cliffhangers ever! xD
Totally forgot about it.
Jun 25, 2012 12:58 PM

Jul 2008
I like that we get to see Satoshi in a different .. face? Persona? I don't know, the other colors of his character. Did not get the last thing about the rope until I read the comments here, but yeah, Chitanda looked so disappointed and aw, I feel kind of sad for Oreki he seemed so proud to have gotten it done and then it was wrong? I don't know, I look forward to what's waiting.
Jun 25, 2012 1:27 PM

Nov 2009
I say the author of the story is the culprit though i forgot her name. Haha, just kidding xD.

Yuri is too suspicious to be the culprit really. Somehow i don't believe it's her. It's too easy.
Jun 25, 2012 2:02 PM

Aug 2009
That was quite unexpected. Waiting for ep 11 ^^
Fire Emblem Heroes - 9261576256
Jun 25, 2012 2:20 PM

Feb 2012
:o Houtarou forgot a major clue. I totally did as well, lol.

The cut off limb still nags at me. Just, why?

Perhaps there was an accomplice? I can't see why the rope was needed, so this is really scratching at my brain. I need to write down all the clues.
VyudaliJun 25, 2012 2:26 PM
Jun 25, 2012 2:40 PM
Apr 2011
Sooo...

Actually I got some issues with a line in the script, too. The single cut till the room is unlocked. The girls should not enter the room that the victim lies in. The victim's arm isn't chopped off in the script, it doesn't even clearly state that he is dead.

So there's this and the rope. Any connection? The cameraman was an elegant solution, no doubt. But somehow I feel the answer also lies within the script. Rope, 7th character, script, prop. I need to reconstruct the fragments of chaos using my wellspring of wisdom. Might take a while.
I'm an idiot who may unintentionally insult you or try to get you caught up in an argument. If so, I'm sorry. If not, continue to have fun.
Jun 25, 2012 2:41 PM

May 2012
nice episode and i can't wait for the next one

well this is my theory :

I think Sojemora Gero is the culprit
and it can't be Yuri
cause Hongue used ‪Knox's "Ten Commandments‬
Commandment No.1 says :
The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.

and Yuri is suspicious to be the culprit

when Yuri and Sojemora were talking about the master key the record stopped
and Sojemora was behind Yuri so there is a chance he could stole the master key
then use the rope to get down from the Utility room to the garden and move to the second waiting room witch it's window is broken then to Kaitou
and go back to the Office

Please take a look at this picture :

It's easy to pull the window up then return the keys to their place and use the rope to go back to the Utility room

Guts, known as the Black Swordsman, seeks sanctuary from the demonic forces attracted to him and his woman because of a demonic mark on their necks, and also vengeance against the man who branded him as an unholy sacrifice. Aided only by his titanic strength gained from a harsh childhood lived with mercenaries, a gigantic sword, and an iron prosthetic left hand, Guts must struggle against his bleak destiny, all the while fighting with a rage that might strip him of his humanity.
Jun 25, 2012 2:42 PM
May 2012
Is it me or was the ending predictable(that Oreki was gonna mess up)? Since most of the times, when a character praise the main character, he then messes up because he thinks too much of himself. Thus, when Oreki forgets about the rope, his theory isn't as flawless. Of course, maybe the prop wouldn't be needed. Still, it was a good episode.

But after reading someone's analysis on Oreki this episode, I'm definitely interested in his development. Can't wait until the next episode.
Ryo_SuzukiJun 25, 2012 2:48 PM
Jun 25, 2012 3:21 PM

Feb 2009
Nice twist, now I am interested for such a boring movie to get all this hype is so unusual.
Jun 25, 2012 3:48 PM

Jan 2012
This episode was pretty disappointing to me.....It's good that the mystery came to a close (or at least was coming to one). The lack of Chitanda in this episode was disturbing. Chitanda should be with Oreki at all times.
Jun 25, 2012 4:00 PM

Jan 2012
Damn, that was an awesome twist ending to this episode, it seemed to have gotten dark all of a sudden.
Jun 25, 2012 4:23 PM

Apr 2011
Vyudali said:
:o Houtarou forgot a major clue. I totally did as well, lol.

The cut off limb still nags at me. Just, why?

Perhaps there was an accomplice? I can't see why the rope was needed, so this is really scratching at my brain. I need to write down all the clues.

They were told in ep. 9 that the severed arm was improvised. Hongou's script just says his arm is badly wounded.
Jun 25, 2012 4:23 PM
Aug 2007
Great episode...i really didn't expect the twist about the rope! No wonder it feels strange before the ending. Too bad my deduction was wrong.

I find it amazing that I learn something important from this anime; asking "what" gives the conclusion, "why" gives the implication\meaning, and the anime focuses on the latter, which makes it more interesting.
Jun 25, 2012 4:31 PM

Oct 2011
Haha at anyone who dropped this, stuff's actually happening now.

The ending was really well-done; gave me a chill. Totally forgot about the rope prop.
Jun 25, 2012 4:49 PM

Jun 2012
I've watched it just now and I couldn't help the feeling that Houtarou's explanation was not on the money, even though I had forgotten about rope myself. To me there seems to be a lot of problems with this mystery. To list them:

1) Bad acting makes it difficult to deduce motives and to suspect culprits via body language. What struck me when I saw episode 8 for the first time was that the small girl immediately knew where the keys were (in fact, she was sure they were there) along with the master keys and she was quick to tell the difference between the two in a half-lit room.

2) The flashlight disturbingly popping up, prevents us from dismissing the possibility that the cameraman may very well be another character, especially given the fact that the camera movements were ridiculously amateuristic. I find this hard to believe for several reasons. If no one talks to him or acknowledges him, why the hell is he there?

3) The murder itself; how did Kaitou die? If he died from exsanguination after the killer cut off his arm, one would expect him to scream for mummy and writhe in excruciating pain long enough for anyone to notice it in that cracked, abandoned dump.

However if the limb was cut off post-mortem (assuming the killer went for an aortic stab or a slit throat, in which case, he would go down rather quitely), then why was the arm cut off? Why was it lying in the corner of the room? The props guy didn't mention that Hongou specifically requested a fake arm. In fact, he mentioned that Hondou ordered a small amount of blood, and that they had to dilute it to get more out of it. This could imply that the severed arm was not originally intended by the writer, but artistic license on the part of someone in the filming crew.

If we temporarily presume the previous issue is cleared up, we hit another brick wall. Why would the murderer lock the room? Why would he go out on a limb and risk exposure, to get a master key, specifically to lock the room wherein he was going to commit murder, and then go again to put it back? He didn't need the key, because Kaitou had already unlocked the room and there wasn't anyone else in the first floor right-wing to fool (which could've been done more easily by closing the door).

4) The mysterious rope; since it wasn't used up until the initial filming stopped, it inevitably raises the question whether or not the script and the film were completed up to the point where all the clues were already included. Even if all those detective rules were followed to the letter, it would be utterly pointless to figure this out when additional clues are missing.

So obviously, the rope is moot. The previous episode made it evident that entry/exit through the window was out of the question. The rope wasn't present at the crime scene so we have to assume it was used after the actual act, and probably even before. It is said it needed to be able to carry one person. So obviously the culprit used it to escape or get close to Kaitou's location, he just didn't use the window at the crime scene.

Not sure if the concluding episode will take all of these problems into account. At this moment, I can't really think of one over-arching explanation myself. My best guess is this:
modderfokkerJun 25, 2012 4:57 PM
Albert Einstein said:
Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
Jun 25, 2012 4:51 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I'm continuing to think there is something else here and it's never been about the movie. I think Oreki was used, and his lack of experience with pride and flattery let him walk right into it.
Jun 25, 2012 4:54 PM

Jun 2012
Cratex said:
I'm continuing to think there is something else here and it's never been about the movie. I think Oreki was used, and his lack of experience with pride and flattery let him walk right into it.

I'm starting to believe so as well. Apparently his reputation as a "detective" did spread outside of the Classics Club, someone might have thought it be fun to test him.
Albert Einstein said:
Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
Jun 25, 2012 4:54 PM

Jul 2009
Mebs the cameraman is supposed to commit suicide after being found out.

We'll see. I'm hyped for the next episode, cliffhangers are a killer.
Jun 25, 2012 6:30 PM

Oct 2010
A little on things. First off I will not concentrate on the mystery but more on what we learn of the characters and why the end was like that. So let’s start with Romance between Houtarou x Irisu.

About Houtarou x Irisu, it really becomes more obvious when the sky is shown in the spoiler
along with how Houtarou’s eyes were staring specifically Irisu’s lips along with him sweating and showing clearly signs of a little panic/anxious behavior. That being said with the different camera angles something is stirring up to say the least.

As it follows from above key point in the spoiler
look at how he stares at Irisu’s lips again but with rose petals as to allude in to claim a first kiss of her?
Perhaps reading in to it too much but can you explain his happiness shown specifically with a smiling robot as a metaphor? I think we have something here. That of Houtarou possibly being interested by Irisu. Further Tarot readings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_(Tarot_card)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Empress_(Tarot_card)
Can clear perhaps some stuff as to each of their qualities and maybe why Houtarou got swept away by her request. It is also to emphasize that part the spoiler
clearly shows that Irisu gave him some pink power for his life. A element he longs for and wants compared to the Grey areas he has now.

Now finally Irisu’s story in the spoiler
was interesting for its art value but it also has merits in what she wanted to provide as an answer to Houtarou. Clearly a Ice Queen for Houtarou to react the way he does after that story in the spoiler
notice how he sweats much more and even drinks more water along with his starting was in response to Irisu. In fact she considering him special gave him a false sense of pride that totally got him in trouble at the end. A rather dangerous Ice Queen that once favors you might get you into trouble for her. So hence might prove Houtarou’s appeal to her that might have gotten into a fearful one. Remains to see what pans out of it but for sure Houtarou got swiped by Irisu’s complimenting.

About Satoshi, there are 2 things I picked of him this episode. For one he has big jealousy over Houtarou being praised by Irisu. That is apparent with the shadows in his face in the spoiler
that proves a lot. Add to that his hand here somehow looking rather small and I deducted he is jealous because he considers himself either insignificant over this or just plain small that never got praised in his life as Houtarou did by a nice girl like Irisu. Little does he know that Ibara would praise him loads more. It was quite a interesting part in this episode.

The second element is mainly Yamauchi in the spoiler
storming in mad at Satoshi skipping on his make up exams. This shows that Satoshi does not really like studying or plain is willing to skip what is more interesting to him over what his obligations are towards his own education. Regardless it quite showed a little brawl. As after it shows Satoshi in the spoiler
coming back to give the book to Ibara. Meaning he wanted to be there with Irisu/Houtarou as Ibara would leave them anyway along with perhaps Houtarou would not have omitted the rope with someone else there to remind him of it.

About Houtarou’s thinking, I think it was great and despite the many elements it consisted of in the spoiler
the most visual one that I did not see often would be the following one,

Along with how enticing it was to see Houtarou walking in the thinking of the movie with multi facets of its different parts integrated in each screen. I did not think his brain even had the energy to do that.

About Irisu/Houtarou talk, as she comes in the club in the spoiler
much can be seen that Irisu comes in calmly and that she along with Houtarou’s eyes both having a serious tone. However she does smile at one point in just the beginning before Houtarou even started explaining. A insinuation she knew that Houtarou could solve this but perhaps even more that she favors him more.

As the explanation starts in the spoiler
she seems a little more attentive to Houtarou, in fact more than before IMO. There is also the constant eye serious glaring to show of each character being serious in this from Irisu’s attentiveness to Houtarou’s seriousness and the best of that is showing it from your eyes. It becomes far far better with the visuals of Houtarou explaining the culprit being the cameraman in the spoiler
it was one heck of a visual experience with the shadows and it was little freaky due to the shadow usage. Still really enticing for a presentation.

As it finally come along comes proof #2 of this segment that Irisu favors him in the spoiler
notice the handshake, the smile she gives out to Houtarou along with that little sound at one point she lets out and that blush Houtarou gives out at the end.
I think that is way more than enough to show out a lot of details.

About thee end of the episode, finally the end comes first as a nice surprise of seeing Junya in the spoiler
joking around Houtarou and tapping him on the back, which would be bad for him if he was friends me as I do it often to people. Then with Misaki in the following,

I liked her sudden MOE there along with how she approaches Houtarou first in the spoiler
all full of energy and cuteness. Yup she is definitely taken by me. I like her personality and looks a lot.

In regards to Haba’s anger in the spoiler
Ibara gives a better understanding of it but basically it’s the following though train. Haba is angry at Houtarou because IMO he thinks that he convinced Irisu to flush his idea completely out the drain and that pisses off a lot. It’s like saying to someone Fuuuu your work and you lost your time with it. That is bad for Houtarou. That could make Haba hate his guts for a while. Houtarou through this got himself in shit with another classmate’s time and work with the whole rope part. He got caught in the praising of a Ice Queen and being frozen by her Icy charms. Hence why Haba was grinding his teeth there.

In regards to Eru, in the spoiler
she was nice to have around. I missed her in this episode! I don’t find her annoying too much, just a little pest but hey I still love her a lot as a character. Well I think she is rather shy of knowing that she was drunk around Houtarou. Most likely her relatives told her of the true nature of the candy and she found out the alcohol there is strong but that’s assuming for now. She clearly had something in mind but dismissed it for now. Might have to do with all being there and she wants to have more privacy in telling this to Houtarou.

In regards to Ibara, most likely the biggest key point since the BGM along with SFX showed it like that. This part can be shown in three phases of changes in Ibara:

A) At first she is aggressive in the spoiler
really forcefully grabbing Houtarou to drag him. I assume this due to her understanding that what I assumed of Haba and his cause for his anger. If she understood it like that then so more of why she is angry.

B) Ibara’s sudden change back to some sort of sadness/unfairness face in the spoiler
maybe even upset with the fact of what she declares as the main element of her concerns. Once again if she understood my assumption of Haba’s anger then it comes into light that her change like that makes sense. As in looking at Houtarou as being unfair snuffing out the element and making Haba look like a fool in wasting his props time in this.

C) Comes to light with Ibara all she wanted to convey to Houtarou in the spoiler
notice the shock lighting that clearly shows out of his shock that he never noticed it and that in fact he made Irisu take out the element. Since she is most likely the BOSS, she understood it like that. Perhaps now he realizes that he made a enemy of a student and he hates him for doing this to him.

Remains to see how it pans out in the next episode.

About the preview, I see nothing but regret and shock to oneself in the spoiler
clearly that much shows out from Houtarou’s expressions in that preview. So I really wonder how things will get fixed or will Haba have a revenge on Houtarou maybe?

BTW Image Dump in the BLOG:
http://ecchiking99.blogspot.ca/2012/06/hyouka-episode-10-image-dump-come-and.html
Got some time for that. No possible Stitches for this episode.

Who are: Tougaito Masashi and Omichi?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 25, 2012 6:51 PM

Jun 2008
I've got to admit, I was disappointed with Oreki's initial theory, not because I saw anything wrong with it, but because it was just so anti-climactic. By his theory, there never was a "mystery" in the scope of the film; they found a dead body and already knew the culprit. So I'm hoping that a different theory is going to pop up.

However, even though they forgot about the rope, can it actually be a part of the murder? Hongou was supposedly following the rules of mystery (or w/e they're called), but the rope wasn't shown or noted at all before the dead body was discovered. We only know about it because Hongou supposedly called for one. Or was it supposedly mentioned in the script but not around for the filming? But I'm pretty sure they also made a point that everything that was filmed so far was good as far as the script accounted for.

EDIT: Although, I guess the mystery doesn't have to be solved right there and the remaining five can still look for clues. Murder mysteries usually start with a murder, after all, after which the clues are found, but if that's the case, spending multiple episodes trying to discover the culprit on what could easily be limited information is kind of pointless.
FloreteJun 25, 2012 6:56 PM
Jun 25, 2012 8:29 PM
Jan 2011
I know why I feel something strange when Irisu accept Oreki's theory.
ShiyumiJun 25, 2012 8:36 PM
Jun 25, 2012 8:47 PM

Jul 2010
I'm glad Houtarou is shown to be not perfect, otherwise that would have been boring. The rope twist (no pun) was a nice touch.
Jun 25, 2012 9:13 PM

May 2011
Shiyumi said:

The anime and some of the fansubs didn't do a good job with the kanji dialogue. So, we didn't fully understand what was going on when they online chat in episode 8 began. I recognize the dialogue mostly matches the exposition in episode 8. So I'll assume that the novel and anime are the same.

I get the feeling that "A.ta.shi♪" is Oreki's older sister.
I also think "anonymous" is Irisu as she's the one stuck with the movie problem and asks the classics club for help.
Irisu must have been a school acquaintance of Oreki's sister.

A.ta.shi♪: i wouldn't say he could do this, but you could make him do errands for you
A.ta.shi♪: you could even make him dance

Pretty much goes along the lines of Irisu has gotten permission to use Oreki and manipulate him into figuring out the plot mess for her.

Irisu is intelligent and I think she would have the same info as the club had. I think when Oreki came up with his theory and left out the rope, she knew. But thinking over it she felt his story was strong enough to go with anyways, she just congratulated Oreki and went with it.

The members of the classics club being due diligent nerds knew it was wrong and Ibara couldn't let it go.
CirrisJun 25, 2012 9:17 PM
Jun 25, 2012 9:17 PM

Dec 2011
I'd like to point out that the movie was simply a screening; it has yet to be shown to the entire school.

So they could still easily change it after Oreki fixes his theory.
Jun 25, 2012 10:00 PM

Apr 2011
Cirris said:

o.o I hadn't thought of that. That chatroom conversation suddenly makes a lot more sense. It sounds like Irisu's been given some tips on how to manipulate Oreki from his sister, as well as probably being naturally manipulative herself. I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for him now...

That also confirms his sister as the person from 'outside school' that Irisu said had recommended him at the start of ep. 9. (The other two she mentioned were Chitanda and Tougaito Masashi, whose name I'd forgotten, but he was the guy in one of the early episodes who was hiding his cigarettes in the box where their club anthologies were kept.)

Enslavement said:
I'd like to point out that the movie was simply a screening; it has yet to be shown to the entire school.

So they could still easily change it after Oreki fixes his theory.

Yeah, I thought that too, this was just a preview screening so they can still change it if necessary.

Shiyumi said:
Next eps "End Credits of The Fool".
The rope=The Hanged Man+The Wheel of Fate
?=The Fool

Towards the end of ep. 8, when they're talking about tarot cards, Satoshi says Chitanda is The Fool. Don't know if that has anything to do with the title.
antisenseJun 25, 2012 10:04 PM
Jun 26, 2012 12:31 AM
Jun 2012
I'm glad for that ending; Hotaru was supposed to be wrong. I was a bit afraid that was going to be the officially correct answer, when it actually was the worst answer of all.

It manages to violate both the point the boys theories did (contradicted by the video) and the girl's theory (no unintroduced characters). Clearly, if the boy in the room overlooking the lobby would have seen anyone else doing something there, he would have seen the cameraman too. And an unintroduced character violates those rules we were told would be followed.

Hotaru also made two other blunders. First, in the previous episode, he claimed someone walking around outside would be easily seen. But this is only true if the person is some distance away from the building. However, someone climbing out one window, walking over to another, and entering there, would follow the side of the building. As such, they would only be seen if someone opened a window, stuck out their head, and looked around. A much less likely scenario. This could matter, not for the window in that room, but for the windows in one of the two rooms before it, allowing someone to bypass the lobby. Second, when excluding possibilities, he mentioned the the guy in the room overlooking the lobby could see anyone there, therefor none of the six could pass. But he here includes that boy in the six, so that boy is being excluded because he would have seen himself in the lobby from that room.

Also, no solution to the meta mystery of 'why not just ask the scriptwriter'. She is well enough to send short text messages. Or why Hotaru, or someone else in his club, hasn't asked that question.
Jun 26, 2012 12:34 AM
Jun 2012
Some scenarios.

The girl in a blue dress exits the window in her room, goes around the building's front, enters via a side room window, kills the victim. She then changes keys with the victim, locks the door, and returns the way she came.

The boy in the room overlooking the lobby uses a rope to climb down to the lobby, thus possibly avoiding the girl in the corridor outside, fetches the master key, which he had pointed out to him earlier, goes down the corridor and kills the victim. He then locks the door, returns the master key and climbs back up.

The cameraman really is a seventh character, violating the rules. But he and the boy in the room overlooking the lobby can vouch for each other. Instead, the nerdy girl uses a rope to climb down from a window, enters a side room window, kills the victim, and then returns the way she came. As for the locked door, she could either have done done the key swap, or she took the real master key from the start, only picking up the key she was supposed to have when she claimed to get the master key.

I hope I'm missing something here, but I can't disprove any of those while a mystery is supposed to have but one solution.
Jun 26, 2012 12:40 AM

May 2011
Helpme said:
Some scenarios.

The girl in a blue dress exits the window in her room, goes around the building's front, enters via a side room window, kills the victim. She then changes keys with the victim, locks the door, and returns the way she came.

The boy in the room overlooking the lobby uses a rope to climb down to the lobby, thus possibly avoiding the girl in the corridor outside, fetches the master key, which he had pointed out to him earlier, goes down the corridor and kills the victim. He then locks the door, returns the master key and climbs back up.

The cameraman really is a seventh character, violating the rules. But he and the boy in the room overlooking the lobby can vouch for each other. Instead, the nerdy girl uses a rope to climb down from a window, enters a side room window, kills the victim, and then returns the way she came. As for the locked door, she could either have done done the key swap, or she took the real master key from the start, only picking up the key she was supposed to have when she claimed to get the master key.

I hope I'm missing something here, but I can't disprove any of those while a mystery is supposed to have but one solution.

1) blue dress girl was on the first floor with orange shirt guy. No need for a rope, which is something of importance to the REAL story

2) Can't have the master key on her when she "goes to retrieve it" she was PURPOSELY paired with peach dress girl.
CirrisJun 26, 2012 12:54 AM
Jun 26, 2012 12:55 AM

Jul 2008
I'm so glad that I picked up this series; as each episode comes along, it just gets better and more interesting.

It was nice to actually see that Houtarou had made a mistake- I was actually shocked about the rope as I had also forgotten about it as well, a very nice twist... I dont necessarily think his theory was completely wrong, but might have just been incomplete. Although we won't know until the next episode for sure and I'm looking forward to how it will all pan out :)
Jun 26, 2012 2:29 AM

Aug 2008
Thank goodness Houtarou's cameraman theory was imperfect. Some people may think it's ingenious but personally I thought his solution was very very unsatisfying.
Jun 26, 2012 3:36 AM
Jan 2011
Cirris said:
Shiyumi said:

The anime and some of the fansubs didn't do a good job with the kanji dialogue. So, we didn't fully understand what was going on when they online chat in episode 8 began. I recognize the dialogue mostly matches the exposition in episode 8. So I'll assume that the novel and anime are the same.

I also think "anonymous" is Irisu as she's the one stuck with the movie problem and asks the classics club for help.
Irisu must have been a school acquaintance of Oreki's sister.

A.ta.shi♪: i wouldn't say he could do this, but you could make him do errands for you
A.ta.shi♪: you could even make him dance

Pretty much goes along the lines of Irisu has gotten permission to use Oreki and manipulate him into figuring out the plot mess for her.

Irisu is intelligent and I think she would have the same info as the club had. I think when Oreki came up with his theory and left out the rope, she knew. But thinking over it she felt his story was strong enough to go with anyways, she just congratulated Oreki and went with it.

The members of the classics club being due diligent nerds knew it was wrong and Ibara couldn't let it go.

You forget most important thing
Jun 26, 2012 4:07 AM

May 2010
So he followed Sawakiguchi's theory. I think the final theory will be mixture of all theories presented including Oreki's current one.
Jun 26, 2012 5:04 AM
Jun 2012
Cirris said:

1) blue dress girl was on the first floor with orange shirt guy. No need for a rope, which is something of importance to the REAL story

You are right. I was aware of that weakness, but thought I would include it anyway. The rope is meta information that we are aware of, but the viewer is told that they can solve it with just the information presented in the video, and the rope isn't mentioned there.

Cirris said:
2) Can't have the master key on her when she "goes to retrieve it" she was PURPOSELY paired with peach dress girl.

But peach dress girl isn't there with the master key is identified. So she can only tell the a key was taken, but not if that key is the master key or not.
Jun 26, 2012 6:44 AM

May 2008
So Oreki made a mistake no big deal, it was still amazing to be able to come up with such a conclusion though i personally didnt find it very surprising. Im more interested in Satoshi's envy.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 26, 2012 7:24 AM

Jan 2009
Instead of exploring all the technicalities of the situation.. What was the motive to kill?
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

267 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.