Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 16, 2017 1:40 PM

Apr 2014
Dark and creepy with action, a splendid episode!
Dec 28, 2017 3:28 AM
Apr 2017
That might have been the best Bebop episode yet. (The two Jupiter Jazz episodes are the competition.)

There are a whole lot of things I like in this show, which this episode showcased well: The diverse and detailed backdrops look fantastic, and the subtle interactions between the crew members are very effective. For some reason, while the show is easy and enjoyable to watch, it just doesn't resonate with me. I would like to come back to it after some time and see whether I get more out of it, though.
Feb 19, 2018 1:30 AM
Dec 2011
This was hands down the BEST episode of the show. I would even say, one of the best episodes I've seen in any anime show. I was hooked for EVERY SECOND and I don't know if this is just me but the animation quality seemed to be much better than usual. The vibe was just so suspenseful and creepy. And that first fight scene between Spike and the Millenium Earl look alike guy was-so-intense! I was so caught off-guard by the immediate non-stop action involving a mc and the choreography of that fight was absolutely beautiful. I haven't been that breathless watching a fight scene since the first time I watched Gon vs Hisoka at the Heaven's Arena. Yes, definitely my favorite episode of the show so far. My only gripe is that it couldn't be longer.
Feb 19, 2018 6:58 AM

Nov 2014
Wow, my mouth is still agape. This show just went full DC in the most unexpectedly awesome way; it's gonna take a minute for all that to sink in.

I liked the bit of Pink Floyd influence in the soundtrack, too.

Strong 5/5
Mar 5, 2018 12:49 PM

Jan 2018
This is one of my favorite episodes, at first, it was creepy as but he was a great villain.
For some reason I found the end to very sad, his crying to his mother, I dunno it got to me.

Mar 14, 2018 11:15 PM

Aug 2015
I vaguely remember watching this episode as a kid late at night on Adult Swim... It had a lasting impression on me and I was terrified of Mad Pierrot. I mean, a creepy, fat guy who floats, that messed me up as a child. Anyways, re-watching Cowboy Bebop in its entirety, I was looking forward to this episode the most. I didn't exactly remember when this episode would appear or what happened in it, but I got excited as soon as I got to it. The episode gave me the same unsettling feeling I had as a kid. To be honest, when I first watched this episode many years ago, I got so scared that I changed the channel. But now I'm glad I was able to watch and actually understand the narrative. I feel like I got some closure off of this episode, as lame as that sounds.
May 2, 2018 10:40 PM
Jun 2016
Liked the horror theme in this one
Aug 31, 2018 1:04 PM

Jan 2013
Terrifying antagonist. Really kept me at the edge of my seat
Sep 30, 2018 8:49 PM
Sep 2018
my favorite episode in all of anime. felt like a dream, espicially with the lack of music compared to otehr bebop episodes, which was refreshing
Dec 9, 2018 7:20 PM

Feb 2017
Hmm, will that cat ever be explained? Nah, probably not.
Jan 22, 2019 10:27 AM

Sep 2014
Apr 25, 2019 3:43 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, that guy was scary.
I felt bad for him in the end, it wasn't his fault he became like that.
May 28, 2019 12:34 AM

May 2015
That was crazy scary. I wish I could have watched this as a kid for a greater shock.
Jul 6, 2019 8:25 AM
May 2016
God just looking back on it, this episode is pure stand-alone perfection. I don't think I'll ever see an anime episode this rich in tension and atmosphere, while I adore the series in general I think this is easily the best episode in it. Literally a flawless episode with some absolutely god-tier direction, animation, OST and the like.
ModernoirJul 6, 2019 8:29 AM
Aug 5, 2019 11:11 AM

Apr 2013
What a shitty episode, worst so far.
Aug 12, 2019 6:27 PM

Aug 2017
Definitely, one of the best episodes of Cowboy Bebop.

After some disappointing episodes, I'm interested again by this show.

The horror elements here were one of the most creepy things i've ever watched.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 21, 2019 8:18 PM
May 2018
Gator said:
What a shitty episode, worst so far.

Now i'm convinced your taste is poor. This is one of the most well directed episode and the atmosphere is beyond steller. It captures the atomosphere of horror and dread perfectly.

Not to mention it was incredibly animated. You just have poor taste.

Sep 11, 2019 4:44 PM

Jul 2019
Well, that was bizarre and lovely at same time, Faye going to find Spike <3 <3

A great episode, love it!
Oct 13, 2019 5:12 PM

Aug 2014
I enjoyed the episode, but the ending felt slightly anticlimactic.

Is this the only episode that was pretty much all digitally animated?
Oct 23, 2019 5:32 PM
Mar 2018
Am I the only one that got serious "Batman: The Animated Series" vibes from this episode? The villain was like a weird amalgamation of the Penguin and the Joker. Nice cover/usage of Pink Floyd in this episode also.
Nov 1, 2019 12:35 AM

Mar 2017
I think this is pretty much my favorite episode that is not one of the Spike main st oryline episodes. Together with Toys in the Attic. I am a sucker for freaky horror stuff in general, but I feel like Cowboy Bebop pulls it off better than most "pure" horror anime. Or live action stuff for that matter.

A great, creepy villain, the real threat you feel, the creepy theme park atmosphere, and some really brutal and disturbing scenes... I love it!
Nov 1, 2019 10:30 AM

Jan 2019
This episode is different. In a good way.
I loved it, but it just doesn't feel like cowboy bebop.

Pierrot basically just had no_clip, god mode and unlimited ammo tbh. The experiments were just to set his sv_cheats to 1.
Nov 5, 2019 1:27 PM
Aug 2015
For some reason this one left me really sad. This guy having no control over anything, living like a child because of the experiments forced on him. He's afraid of cats and playing in an amusement park, for crying out loud. And when pain finally gets to him, it's like the killer is gone and he's a helpless, confused child crying out for his mom. All because of forced experiments. That's just messed up. It's not right.
Nov 6, 2019 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
How was Spike able to keep his cool throughout all of that. The entire atmosphere was so freaky, I'd suspect even Spike would feel unnerved. I know Spike is one of the most courageous characters in the franchise, but this episode was so different.
Nov 6, 2019 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Some of the Cowboy Bebop episodes are very different from others. Like the one with the "immortal child". This one was extremely divergent -- almost as if it were from another anime. For that reason, I was dissatisfied throughout. As others noted, the villain was a bit OP. "No clip" in videogame terms, hehe. I was going to give the episode a lower rating but refrained after seeing the acclaim it got in the forums and felt it wouldn't be very ethical. I'll just accept it. In terms of plot, this one was very lackluster and just consisted of surreal killing sprees throughout and filling up the duration of the end. At least they were able to give the villain a motive of sorts. One other thing I'm dissatisfied with is Spike's endurance. He's almost as OP as the villain. How does he not get exhausted from all of that running?
Nov 6, 2019 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
I have to say, at the very end when the villain was crying due to the pain of the blade in his leg -- and then when he began to cry out for his mother -- I felt some existential dread, some sympathy, and some sadness. Very unnerving.

The dude's a mass murderer with no empathy, and a childish sadism for brutally killing humans. He's done awful things to the guilty and the innocent.

And yet, I'm feeling VERY sad for the guy, hehe. Strange, isn't it?

I watched the sub edition (I saw others praising the English dubbing), and the actor's portrayal and emotional conveyance was key. Very impressive. Very effective.

"IT HURTS! MOMMY!"

Riveting.
Nov 6, 2019 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
yuozas said:
I vaguely remember watching this episode as a kid late at night on Adult Swim... It had a lasting impression on me and I was terrified of Mad Pierrot. I mean, a creepy, fat guy who floats, that messed me up as a child. Anyways, re-watching Cowboy Bebop in its entirety, I was looking forward to this episode the most. I didn't exactly remember when this episode would appear or what happened in it, but I got excited as soon as I got to it. The episode gave me the same unsettling feeling I had as a kid. To be honest, when I first watched this episode many years ago, I got so scared that I changed the channel. But now I'm glad I was able to watch and actually understand the narrative. I feel like I got some closure off of this episode, as lame as that sounds.

That was beautiful, my dude. I think every person alive has an experience just like that, myself included. We've all seen something scary on TV that both scarred us and left us changing the channel, only to re-visit it (sometimes) a decade later having grown to numb to violence or unsettling atmospheres seen in media on account of associating with it so much throughout our childhoods and adolescence. Once you've got more of an adult outlook, you can rewatch what freaked you out as a kid with a newfound appreciation or perspective, that's just so intriguing. The reliability of the post just had me wanting to add a "me too".
Nov 24, 2019 12:49 PM

Aug 2017
Dark episode. Spike once again stares death in the eye. Probably best episode so far. The villain was a man child and seeing him call out for his mom really hit home when he got shot. The trauma of cats... that guy didn’t deserve that life.
Dec 7, 2019 2:14 AM

Mar 2019
weird flex but ok.
OωO
Jan 14, 2020 6:38 PM
Aug 2019
It overall was good, but I have some issues with the idea that an entire theme park had no people in it and everything was powered by animatronics.

I liked his character a lot though!
It's not long enough.
Jan 17, 2020 9:56 PM
Dec 2019
I have no idea, but when Pierrot got stabbed and started crying and the happy carnival music kicked in, I just started crying. It was the weirdest thing. It could've been a multitude of things, like the juxtaposition of happiness/sadness, or a nostalgic time in my life when I was young enough to throw tantrums and cry for my mother. Or maybe it was both. But seeing that it got such a visceral reaction from other people is very reassuring.

This is the best episode of the series so far. I'm astonished.
Apr 2, 2020 1:17 PM

Oct 2019
Mad Pierrot kind of reminded me of Kenny Ackerman
May 21, 2020 4:09 PM

Dec 2010
Ok, I really should stop watching Bebop before going to bed, I thought that the fridge episode was bad enough. I have to say that I'm disappointed by one single thing - the moral choice of ending Mad Pierrot's life(or not) was taken away from Spyke. This episode's villain clearly contrasted the one with the child who never grew physically, but that time you could make the argument that the person inside has long since stopped existing. Maybe ambiguity was the purpose here and crazy payoffs aren't a new thing about this show, especially considering the added creepiness of Crazy Pierrot's way of death, so I'll let it slide this time.

One thing I have to say I definitely liked was how sweet Faye's decision to go and help Spyke after all.
May 31, 2020 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
This is possibly my favorite episode so far. So creepy and trippy... :)
Jun 13, 2020 3:40 AM

Apr 2015
Inconsequential and simple after all but just unbelievably potent on its own.
Jul 25, 2020 10:57 AM

Feb 2018
This episode was awesome, felt it when he called his mother
Oct 11, 2020 5:05 AM

Mar 2016
insane episode, i really got an eerie vibe throughout.

best crew ever

Nov 7, 2020 12:18 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Finally got some real JUICE after what I thought were just an OK past 2 episodes.

Now while I have been very MILDLY disappointed that there’s no overarching story that serves as the core, that’s totally fine, because this is supposed to be your episodic style series anyway. That said, every episode has a central theme it’s trying to convey. Take this episode right now for example, summed up in a quote from the episode itself, talking about both how a child’s mind can be both pure and wicked. Probably referring to the vast spectrum of the morality of humankind, or something else, it’s definitely up for debate. But what I would like to see in the finale which I hear is amazing, is a theme to tie all these smaller themes together, bringing our adventures to a close together with one truly central theme that brings it all together. Or not, whatever, those are just my wishes. I just want this great series to have a fitting ending; and from what I hear it’s definitely not one that will disappoint

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 25, 2020 5:28 PM

Aug 2019
This was one hell of an episode! This episode might have pushed this anime from a 9 to a 10 for me.
. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Dec 12, 2020 5:51 PM

Jul 2020
Me: Spike you goddamn badass.

Also me: wtf did I watch.
Jan 10, 2021 3:16 PM

Dec 2007
damn it, best episode so far and it's animation justified the 1080p.

his death was so LOL xD
Jan 18, 2021 12:09 PM
Nov 2020
weird but very good
Feb 27, 2021 1:03 PM

Feb 2020
Wow the ending made me feel very weird. At first I thought Pierrot was just a Joker kind of villain, but turns out he is basically an insane child. And that ending with him crying because he's been hurt and desperately calling his mom before being crushed by the giant dog robot and then Spike's comment that it's over while the joyful music begins to die along with the lights shutting down made me feel truly sad and also uncomfortable, in some way. It was like witnessing the death of innocence, to the end of the world's cruelty. Pierrot is an irreedemable psychopath, but is also a child. He doesn't actually have a sense of right and wrong. It's hard to explain actually, but one thing is sure is that I felt it. I heard that this episode is one of the best, and I can see why. It hits differently. And actually, there are so many things to take from it ! I could analyze it all night.
FafetteFeb 27, 2021 1:11 PM
Mar 23, 2021 11:24 AM
Mar 2021
This episode was great, but also incredibly disturbing. The part at the end where he was crying for his mother... shook me to my core. The idea of someone who was taken(probably against his will), and subjected to these horrible experiments, who reverted to a childlike form, fucking disturbing. I ended up feeling bad for him, cause he was just a big, traumatized baby. He also looked like that one guy from the show about demons that I never finished.
Apr 1, 2021 4:24 PM
Feb 2021
the way he died was uhhh deperessing to say the least
Apr 10, 2021 10:07 AM
Nov 2020
OranSolus said:
I was ever so slightly creeped out at the end, when Pierrot was crying for his mother. It sent a chill down my spine, which is an achievement, let me tell you.
it was much more creepy and sad for me though... All of the bright and colourful lighting.. a wholesome music playing, and yet the crying of a child (more or less) dominating all of it.... to say it was perfect, would be an understatement..
Apr 30, 2021 2:11 PM
Apr 2020
That's one hell of a creepy episode.. Very good episode otherwise!
May 4, 2021 3:04 AM

Aug 2016
Impressive episode even the 3rd time watching.
Anyone knows the name of theme park soundtrack?
一期一会
May 19, 2021 2:04 AM

Mar 2018
Probably one of my favorite episodes, a good sense of borderline horror in this one which really gave that feeling of tension and eeriness to it.

Also gave off a mixture of Boogiepop Phantom and Lain vibes with it's atmosphere, really well done.
Jun 8, 2021 8:02 PM
Jul 2018
Academie de Billard. Ces't la vie. - the 1st (unspoken) phrase of this ep.

Trauma. Past. Regression.
This ep subtly says something about Spike's most inner feelings and maybe a hint in his relation to his past, both interrelated truths he's been hiding most under a indifferent/haughty/cool kind of 'mask', maybe.

"It HURTS..!"

P.S.: The strangely freaky Mad Pierrot's Space-land recalled me a lot of Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch - places taunting hidden past issues
And is Faye starting to be interested in Spike?
removed-userJun 8, 2021 8:17 PM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aaronluis26 - Nov 15, 2008

179 by Yoeshi »»
Yesterday, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 22, 2009

115 by Lollipop975 »»
Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

626 by Mirrow »»
May 14, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

123 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

207 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.