Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2008 5:14 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like we get some Yang backstory in this OVA starting with El Facil.
Sep 17, 2008 2:52 PM

Dec 2007
El facil event was really quick, even if in the main story it's about all we know of Yang's past
Aug 12, 2010 2:41 PM

Sep 2008
well handled. Yangs second VA is great as well. I thought his voice would ruin the fun but it suits the character well.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 12, 2010 10:14 AM

May 2010
I like how Yang Wenli just scratches his head when something bad happens
ConfuciusAug 31, 2011 11:26 AM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 24, 2010 1:37 PM

Jun 2009
Good stuff, didn't expect El Facil to be just one episode though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 1, 2011 5:47 PM
Jul 2010
I like Yang's new voice actor, even if it isn't as amazing as the first. His character design looks younger than others flashbacks. Maybe it's the digital animation.

Kind of sad Yang's past as a student was skimmed over in ten minutes, and even sadder that El Facil was equally short. I want more!
Sep 26, 2011 4:22 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I decided to actually try to finish this series this time and started over from this episode. Again, it is admittedly disappointing that Yang's past was skimmed over so much. But, hopefully the rest of this OVA will go into more detail at some point.

That said, Yang is as awesome as always. Fuck, I love his character.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 11, 2012 8:28 PM

Feb 2012
Late 90s CGI in my LOGH? Ugh. Whatever.

Gouda Hozumi is a great Yang even if he isn't as intangibly fitting as Tomiyama Kei. I was a bit surprised to see El Facil and everything leading up to it glossed over like that, but I suppose in retrospect it wasn't all that big of a deal.

My favorite part of the episode:

Wideborn said:
If he fought me straight out, I would have won! He was just running around!

-- so it begins. How many characters could have said those exact words in reference to Yang over the course of the OVA?
Nov 30, 2012 8:46 PM

Oct 2008
Finally started watching the last LOGH installment :( anyway, this episode was fast paced I wasn't expecting the evacuation that was refrenced in the main series so much to end in one ep, but it still didn't feel rushed for some reason.
Also Greenhill is very cute.
Dec 5, 2012 11:44 AM

Sep 2008
insan3soldiern said:
Good stuff, didn't expect El Facil to be just one episode though.

maybe they did that because they had already treated the subject elsewhere, either in the main OVA or overture to a new war, I believe. My memories a bit fuzzy though, but I think this account was slightly more detailed (?)
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 5, 2013 1:43 AM

Oct 2010
Oh man just started watching these prequel series. Everytime Yang says something about not being as good as the Fleet Admirals of old I'm like "No. You will be....you will be....YAAAANG"

God and I cried like a bitch at the Yang + Fred scene at El Facil.....
Jun 3, 2013 12:28 AM

Mar 2012
Oh man. I smiled like a motherfucker when Fredrica showed her face. Those two have a looooong way to go. Haha.

Such memories of Yang just hanging around the background while the commanders are dumbstruck of what to do. Can't wait till he meets Attenborough, those two together jog my memory to the original series as the most prominent Free Planets Alliance characters.
Oct 11, 2013 7:22 PM

Nov 2009
It's actually really sad, Fredrica and Yang knew eachother for so long . . .

Anyways, I really am surprised that some superior officer didn't steal Yang's credit for the evacuation of El Facil, though glad the admiral got what was coming . . .
Dec 14, 2014 11:05 AM

May 2012
Great start I must say, really liked the overall setting so let's see what this part will offer us!
Jan 4, 2015 6:28 PM

Jul 2011
The animation takes some getting used to. It's not as beautiful. I think the older animation actually adds to the series' charms.

Yang said:
"I don't like coffee. I wish you had given me tea."

Hahaha, this guy.

Also, I find it funny how in the OP, Reinhard has images of 3 people (himself, Kircheis and Annerose), while Wenli has a whole hoard. And it's a very simple OP... hardly any movement.
MirorinJan 4, 2015 6:32 PM
Feb 6, 2015 11:11 AM

May 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:

Anyways, I really am surprised that some superior officer didn't steal Yang's credit for the evacuation of El Facil, though glad the admiral got what was coming . . .

Most of those got caught in that cowardly retreat and plenty of civilians saw him saving the day.
Feb 19, 2015 1:36 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Doing a rewatch of all of LOGH side stories and prequels. I've always found those stories on the Imperial side a tad more interesting, since the Alliance's senior officers are for the most part portrayed as fools and this episode was no exception.

I had forgotten that Yang already met Frederica in El Facil.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 15, 2015 1:13 AM

Feb 2010
After pondering a bit, I've decided to start watching LOTGH from this arc, so far so good, I guess it is a good start and the EP realy doesn't look like it's made only for fans, since I was able to get it alright. Let's see how it will unfold in series, I'll have to jump around to get it straight chronologically.
And, btw, I can already see how the series is going to be a great one.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 13, 2015 6:59 PM

Sep 2010
I messed up chronologically (watched the first 4 episodes of Gaiden 1 before watching this to episode 14). I got to episode 8 of the main series a couple years back and dropped it cause my internet was garbage at the time (below 1 MB down during congestion) and I couldn't commit to such a huge series with it, but now since I got reliable internet I'm giving this series a second shot!

So Wenli joined the military to get free education cause he was in massive debt left by his father? He use Lynch as a decoy to help the civilians evacuate. Lynch deserved to get captured. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 18, 2016 10:46 AM

Dec 2015
Liked it. Especially when Yang used Lynch as decoy ha ha. But Lynch deserved it. Nice to see some background info about Yangs earlier life. And I don't care about El Facile only being 1 episode.

But I would have liked to see more of the university/academy (maybe 1 or 2 episodes for that). Still nice to see him already there excelling at strategy/tactics.
Aug 24, 2016 1:17 AM

Jun 2016
Loved this episode, just like almost anything to do with Yang. "And this was to become the starting point for this hero, but there was no one who knew it at that time." - but boy, do we know just what he becomes. Made me a little teary-eyed.

It was good to finally see the events that actually happened that made Yang the 'Hero of El Facil'. It was hilarious that he used Lynch as an unwitting decoy. I don't know how he does it, he's practically clairvoyant when it comes to tactics. Magician indeed.

That scene where he starts laughing after finding out that all of his father's paintings were fake really stood out, for me. His self-sacrificing nature started manifesting himself from that long ago, it seems. He learned to deal with misfortunes with a wry smile.
Nov 1, 2016 2:48 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The born of a hero ;)

Interesting first episode, altough all pass very quickly O-OP
Dec 26, 2016 1:48 PM

Mar 2016
That art though

Pretty nice coverage of the El Facil evacuation but nothing really new was added
Then again I might be mixing novel with ova
Aure0linDec 26, 2016 1:53 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jan 20, 2019 7:37 PM

Dec 2015
While the shortness of the El Facil fiasco was about what I expected, the youth of Wen-Li was over so fast ! Maybe nothing of value for the characters description is to be found before his years on the battlefield?

While the digital colouring in Gaiden was okay for its time, this XXIst dawn series looks quite... TV-level with its non-elegant digital drawings and terrible early digital paint.

4/5
Apr 23, 2019 1:43 AM

Aug 2017
This Gaiden seems to have the longest OP in the whole LOGH franchise (2 minutes), and it seems to be the worst one, sadly, in terms of visuals. Ironically, even though this series is dedicated to Yang, Reinhard takes more OP time than him (1:08 mins against <1 min)
Aug 29, 2019 12:01 PM

May 2016
And that is the story of the Hero of El Facil that all heard so many times, I actually thought he fought a whole fleet with few ships never knew he just evacuated the civils but I am actually smiling right now and that so much like Yang. 5/5
Mar 31, 2020 3:19 PM

Feb 2017
Lol, Yang's dad was a doofus.

Apr 23, 2021 10:31 AM
Jan 2015
I feel bad for Yang . Poor guy was just a teenager and left alone in the world. RIP
Jan 27, 2023 2:49 PM

Aug 2018
Great start episode, looks like Yangs story of becoming hero of El Facil was finaly revealed here.

This is gonna be an interesting ride in his past I am most certain
Aug 28, 2023 3:54 PM

Dec 2007
it's been a while since i watched any logth. now it is time to watch the gaiden chronoligcally, so the 1999 series beginning is first. lol

yang's backstory on how he became a soldier was truly ironically. his father wanted him to make money, but yang, running away from that direction, had to go full-pledge soldier.

yang using that scary cat admiral as a decoy was priceless.
Oct 1, 2023 3:53 PM

May 2015
Damn, these Gaiden OVAs make me so sad, highlighting the tragedy of the characters. Yang Wen-li just wanted to study history and live peacefully, but look at where he ended up…

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 28 Discussion

ChaosLegion - Oct 31, 2010

21 by Unkrowned »»
May 1, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 27 Discussion

eyerok - Nov 4, 2010

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 20 Discussion

eyerok - Sep 29, 2010

20 by Ten »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 2 Discussion

eyerok - Aug 12, 2010

13 by Ten »»
Oct 2, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 25 Discussion

eyerok - Nov 4, 2010

16 by TrevRockOne »»
Sep 13, 2023 11:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.