Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 26, 2011 3:20 PM
Aug 2010
I don't know, I felt this episode was a big step down from the previous ones (especially the fantastic 3rd episode). Everything that happened was already expected from episode 4. The saving grace was the scene at the end with Arata riding the bicycle and Taichi then telling off Chihara on the train.
Dec 15, 2011 9:36 PM

Nov 2008
At least we know now that Arata will be up on his feet again.
Dec 29, 2011 2:56 PM

Mar 2011
Huh, first ep i teared up in. Seems like things are picking up from here on!
Dec 30, 2011 2:55 AM
Nov 2011
I put this anime on hold a while ago because I asn't feeling it, and started rewatching it this morning. Wow, My tear ducts wouldn't stop at parts of this episode, because I understand what all three of the characters feel. How powerful, And some great animation. My favorite part is on the way back on the train, and Taichi tells her not to get 'snot on the seat' lol
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Dec 31, 2011 6:28 PM

Jul 2009
First things first: TAICHI!!! You came so close to holding her hand, I was pretty much screaming DO IT DO IT AND THEN YOU TRIED AND THEN HE CAME T_T Poor Taichi ♥
ANYWAYS ARATA LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME LOL. Except his voice is so deep now OTL
Ah, so his grandpa, huh ... well, that really sucks :S Well at least it looks like he's gonna start trying again ...
YES KURATA CLUB!!! Should be awesome XD Man, marathoning this shouldn't be so easy for me haha XD
Jan 3, 2012 9:11 PM
Sep 2010
Onions. Onions everywhere. And I foresee many in the future...
Jan 11, 2012 3:46 PM
Apr 2011
Is it just me or did anyone else have a hard time watching this episode thanks to the painfully obvious emotional responses of Chihaya? I mean, from here on anyone can guess how the rest of the series is going to develope, right?
Jan 16, 2012 9:59 AM

Jul 2008
Wow! Such a great episode! I cried as Yuu was explaining what happened to Arata's grandpa...so sad! I hope Arata moves on and perhaps plays karuta in his grandpa's honor.
Feb 20, 2012 5:19 AM
Jul 2018
Gee, I really struggled to not cry at the grand pa's story. For someone who has been confronted to death of beloved ones too many times, that scene was harsh for me. :p
*needs a hug* :p

Not sure I'll love the love triangle (I already wish that none of them end up together but with different persons from the "outside" :p :D) but I really enjoy that series. :)
Feb 21, 2012 7:27 AM

Apr 2009
I swear Taichi looks like Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon! Or is it just me who thinks that?
Mar 9, 2012 1:08 PM

Mar 2012
I love this episode (as well as I love all the others^^)
Apr 1, 2012 12:20 PM

May 2009
The whole part about the grandpa and him not being there was expected especially the cliche riding your bike or chasing a car/train/airplane scene was expected but overall great episode
Apr 4, 2012 10:41 PM

Sep 2011
I had a huge smirk on my face during the train scene.

Apr 14, 2012 1:13 PM

Nov 2010
Really fun anime so far, hope it keeps up. Love the style of it, too!
Apr 29, 2012 5:38 PM

Mar 2009
Arata's reason for quitting was predictable. His grandfather would eventually die so he should accept that fact and not quit just because of that.
Aug 9, 2012 8:33 PM

Nov 2011
What an epic episode! Predictable, but still freakin epic.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Nov 9, 2012 8:52 AM
Nov 2011
The most heart-aching part was when Arata started to talk on his late accent due to the shock of realicing he wasn´t even on the same level as his past self. Also, at the end, when they try to say goodbye trough the closed window of the train. It was really beautiful.
"Often times words are uttered that stand directly opposed to what the heart is feeling. I believe, in spite o whatever harsh words are spoken, the concealed heart wants to embrace everyone"
Jan 7, 2013 3:15 PM

Apr 2010
Ohhh, how much I ship Chihaya and Taichi right now ~
Jan 27, 2013 2:45 PM

Jul 2009
great episode as always :D

it seems im starting to like Taichi more and more.

yeah i would feel the same, if you love someone, but you know you can't have her.

and wow Chihaya just pulled arata while running on a bike O___O

she looks lovely in the bath!

pretty asshole move of Arata to kick those precious cards after Chihaya and Taichi came all the way from tokyo.

poor Chihaya :(

Chihaya does love Arata huh?

she hasn't come to realize that yet.

poor Taichi :(

Taichihaya!!!

i like that!

next episode is gonna be interesting, the revival of Karuta club as well as new members!!

can't wait!!
Mar 14, 2013 8:38 PM

Sep 2011
Waah, I absolutely loved it. It's been a while since the last time I've enjoyed an anime with romance undertones this much! This episode was so cheesy, yet so good :D The last scene was very touching <3 I'm officially hooked!

Regarding the love triangle, I hate it! I mean, I love it because what else would you expect from a rom-com, but I can never decide between the two guys! I am sooo torn right now, jdafjlasd!
mahoushoujodesuMar 31, 2013 6:59 AM
Mar 16, 2013 2:29 AM

Aug 2010
The moment Arata and Chihaya met again... XD

Certainly am glad Arata is 'back' and he is still the same deep down (still cries for Chihaya and Taichi).. Wonder how they'll meet him again? In a karuta competition?
May 13, 2013 11:06 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode
Jul 2, 2013 8:38 AM

May 2012
Great slice of drama combined with a touching ending! Lets see how they'll start the club and how fast until they reunite!
Jul 16, 2013 7:48 AM
May 2012
The ending is beautiful!!
Aug 9, 2013 10:45 PM

Jun 2013
Wow!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Sep 8, 2013 4:10 PM

Jan 2013
The music continues to be phenomenal. The episode was very predictable and so it kind of lost some of its emotional value for me.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Dec 27, 2013 3:11 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Plot that does not stand up during the tragedy of Arata, too obvious, a real shame. Are these déjà vu to lower the level of this anime series. D:
Narrative, however, is done so well to be involved, even on Chihaya of drawings and scenarios, including BGM!
Taichi instead as a character, still does not hold the level of Chihaya! D:
If only the scenarios were made ​​in the way he works with the Public Works, would be a spectacle as are the colors! * _ *
Yuu Arata's neighbor, is in love with him, it was obvious! : D
Mar 25, 2014 3:21 AM

Jan 2009
1. Arata falling on top of chihaya was full of cheese

2. The intensity in the 2nd half is what I'm looking for.

3. Chihaya is still quite slow, not even trying to understand arata's situation

4. glad this didn't turn out like a yugioh or pokemon card game. The stuff in Chihayafuru is believable.

7/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Mar 28, 2014 1:21 PM
Jan 2013
phantom19 said:
The music continues to be phenomenal. The episode was very predictable and so it kind of lost some of its emotional value for me.

that. Actually, I though it would take a little longer for Arata to look for them, after all it's 25 episodes. Hope it won't be all settled too soon.
May 7, 2014 9:24 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
ShortTermCrook said:
So Arata's reason was that simple and shallow. I feel like drop kicking him for being a teenager. Show's going good but would like to see more of Chihayas craziness. Add two drop kicks for Taichi aswell, for giving up.

He was responsible of taking care of his grandpa. He most likely told him to go to the karuta match and get the A-rank. However, once the people told him his grandpa suffered a recalpse and passed away he blames himself for not being there for him. Wataya feels if he wouldn't have gone to the match his grandpa would still be with him.

LOL at the end when Chihaya is crying, Taichi tell her to clean her nose lol. It was a very bittersweet episode. They reunited briefly but it wasn't what they expected it to be.

Jun 27, 2014 3:34 PM

Apr 2013
LOL

*Flips him over* and runs xD

Aug 15, 2014 3:00 AM

Jan 2014
I wonder who that girl staring at the poster was...

Another great episode :D
Sep 3, 2014 2:25 PM

Aug 2013
Looooooove triangle!~!~
And the other girl left behind... Well, here's my guess for the romance : Chihaya will end up with Taichi because he obviously love her. I also sense that the girlfriend thing may be bullshit. After all, he's a coward. Arata will end up with Yuu. That's what happen in my perfect world :3
But nothing ever happen like in my perfect world :(

So Arata hasn't changed that much. He just hate himself for having priorising the karuta over his oji-san. Damnit jiji! Couldn't you have died an hour later!?
I'm such a horrible human being

Chihaya having her load of cute faces and reaction again <3
Dat face in the bath.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 31, 2014 1:40 AM

Oct 2009
Cool episode but didn't understand the logic.
"I'll stop playing , because my grandfather died" - 10/10 logic

Thats like saying " I'll stop riding bikes, because relative A who died also rode bikes"
or "I'll stop breathing air, because guess what relative B who died was also breathing air "
Gib [img] plz
Nov 17, 2014 6:38 AM

Dec 2013
Lots of drama, nice ending.
Nov 17, 2014 6:39 AM

Oct 2014
not a big fan of this show, the girl is cute though
Dec 12, 2014 7:57 AM

Jun 2013
tery999 said:
Cool episode but didn't understand the logic.
"I'll stop playing , because my grandfather died" - 10/10 logic

Thats like saying " I'll stop riding bikes, because relative A who died also rode bikes"
or "I'll stop breathing air, because guess what relative B who died was also breathing air "
It's actually logical if you think about it. Would you wanna do something that makes you relate strongly to a really sad and tragic incident? Say you were watching a hockey game and your newborn baby gets a puck smashed right between the eyes and brain parts flies everywhere. You would most likely never go see a hockey game ever again because everytime you do, it would remind you of the horrible incident with your newborn baby. It's that simple.
May 27, 2015 4:26 PM
Jan 2012
I am so glad Arata hasn't truly became a heartless jerk. And it is hard to hate Taichi. I mean, sure he was an awful kid in the beginning, but he have redeemed himself. That said, I still don't want him to end up with Chihaya, she deserves better. Speaking of her, she's still the best character. Also, I think this was the first time the adolescent version of the characters truly resembled their child selves, which is great.

And the new character by the end of the episode. I hope she is great, too.
Sep 8, 2015 4:30 PM

Mar 2012
Knew it had something to do with the grandpa. Still no reason to act like a dick towards his old friends who just wanted to talk to him. It's not like they knew about his grandfather's death. At least this thing only lasted for one episode.
Sep 24, 2015 11:32 AM
May 2015
Most of the people here has no feeling at all. They are all telling arata is a stupid, irritating. Probably they haven't faced sorrow, death of their most close friends, relatives or family members. The world is becoming so robotic, humans are so emotionless :-/
Sep 24, 2015 8:47 PM
May 2015
This is probably the best episode I ever watched.
Jan 2, 2016 2:10 PM
Dec 2014
It looks like this show is going to be better than I expected it to be.
Feb 16, 2016 3:16 PM

Sep 2015
I understand both Arata's reasoning and the people here saying it isn't a good reason.

What really made Arata act the way he did is not so much his grandfather's passing, but his unhealthy attitude towards death. (which is very understandable for a teenager)

His grandfather was old and going to die soon anyway, so it's not Arata's fault. But being a teenager, he blames himself.
His grandfather loved Karuta and surely wanted him to continue; it also would have been the right way to honor his memory.
But being a teenager, Arata can't see it that way, and instead blames (himself and) Karuta as the reason he wasn't there for his grandfather.

So in summary, for an adult with a healthy response to death Arata's actions might seem silly, but for a teenager (who had social and family problems already) Arata's absence from Karuta makes a lot of sense.
Apr 8, 2016 12:35 PM

Jun 2007
Rewatching this after quite some time, now i'm all hooked on chihayafuru, and .. duuuuude!!!! i'm so damn hurt seeing the cards in a freaking puddle!!!! wtf u neighbour girl!?! not only they are precious cards themselves but also they cost money yo!!!
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 11, 2016 12:17 PM
Dec 2014
Predictable and shit reason why he doesnt play anymore. Taichi is a sitll a cunt, yeah lets run up in someones house after he said go home and then fight him lol, dickhead. This is trash
May 27, 2016 2:10 AM

May 2009
Great episode. I really like Taichi even though a lot of people here seem to hate him, lol. He is a coward, but I admire his feelings for Chihaya a lot. I hope they end up together even though the writers would probably put Arata and Chihaya together.
Really touching to see him ride his bike and admitting that he really missed them.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jul 7, 2016 11:39 AM

Jul 2015
I really hate taichi, even has a grown up he's annoying
Aug 20, 2016 5:50 PM

Aug 2014
What is this? Chihaya is a model? or lets say has a model type body?
Then I dont like her.
I love her.

Best Episode yet.
Oct 5, 2016 5:31 AM

Dec 2014
well over all good pace through out the episode
Oct 13, 2016 12:20 AM

Jun 2012
I don't know why but my eyes are getting wet while watching this anime. I think I shouldn't watch this while working. :p
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

216 by minnaslay127 »»
Apr 24, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 27, 2012

232 by Euroqean »»
Feb 10, 2:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.