Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 11, 2008 12:27 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another beautiful episode. I wonder if the railroad workers' jobs were as meaningless as the ones of the people in Kino's story. Not if they had people received the money they worked for. But after 50 years, those people might not be there anymore?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 12, 2008 2:49 PM

Apr 2008
I remember watching this and laughing out loud every time she came across another railroad worker.

One of my favourite episodes.
Aug 22, 2008 4:52 AM

Jul 2007
Lol 3 noobs on the railroad lol

Hermes got pwnd by Kino in the end haha i was laughing pretty hard when that happened
Sep 24, 2008 3:48 AM

Feb 2008
Aww, you've gotta feel sorry for them xD
I love Kino.
Oct 15, 2008 9:08 PM

May 2007
Was the town in the second half the town the workers worked for, if so that is very sad. If not then they are helping their families and I understand them, but you have to wonder about a railroad company that would ask someone to fix, then dismantle, then repair a line all in about a year.

The second half was sad and shows that humans are evil.
My anime list
Oct 18, 2008 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
working for nothing... that gives me the creeps ><
and whats with the railroad company?? somehow i think only travelers are sane in this anime..
Oct 23, 2008 4:08 PM

May 2008
The railroad workers made me think of the situation in England where three people were placing trees in a park. One dug a hole, one placed the tree and one filled the hole. If one of them was sick the other two still had to do their job which was as meaningless as the work these rail road workers did... wonder whether they though about this when they made this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2008 5:46 AM

May 2008
those three railroad workers..............
what they did was so useless, and for fifty years, too.. makes me sad.

Nov 17, 2008 6:40 PM

Jul 2008
I found the whole story about the ruined town very interesting- I think I understand better why Plato disliked democracy.
Jan 2, 2009 6:28 AM

Dec 2008
Well I'm quite in love with Kino No Tabi now. That was a really interesting episode on the meaning of work, life, and the potential horrors of democracy, which is so often uncritically accepted as a good thing nowadays.

"Wow, to think that they keep working that meaningless job" was enjoyable irony too .^^
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 31, 2009 11:37 AM

Mar 2008
It makes you think about your own culture and customs, and that of others. They may be more logical than we think.

The railway workers seemed pretty happy with their jobs. Does that mean that even though their work is being strapped down in a day, it is all meaningless?
I do hope the second town wasn't the town those railway workers originated from...
Feb 7, 2009 6:51 AM

May 2008
Gosh, what to even say.
It seems they pulled almost a Star Ocean 3 with that futuristic town.

I don't think I would do that. And I don't think most people would.
Another nice food for thought episode, though.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 7, 2009 4:34 PM
Jun 2008
Though the story was strange, I liked it.
Well, I'm getting used to it XD
Aug 13, 2009 5:38 PM
Feb 2009
I'm not sure whether the story with the workers and the ruined town were supposed to intertwine or not?
Aug 21, 2009 12:55 PM

Apr 2009
The futuristic town reminded me of Wall-E, except the people aren't fat and lazy.
I wonder why Kino decided not to tell the third man a story.
Nov 24, 2009 1:13 PM

Jun 2009
Traveler, where are you heading?.... I don't quite understand the meaning behind it... anyone mind to explain?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2009 8:23 PM

Jun 2009
AirStyles said:
Traveler, where are you heading?.... I don't quite understand the meaning behind it... anyone mind to explain?

I think Kino just didn't know the answer and just tried to avoid being asked the question, which maybe she thought was brought about by telling the story. Either that or we'll find out the answer later in the series, which I doubt in an episodic series like this. Maybe it was just meant to be ambiguous.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 4, 2009 8:52 PM

Oct 2009
lol oppression by majority.

Honestly I thought the first half of the episode was pretty pointless... I'm used to suspending my disbelief in anime but it's too much to accept that the workers would have enough food and supplies to last for fifty years of work - and that they wouldn't bother checking up on their dependents who they're working for in that time. Maybe if I was Japanese and had their stringent (even obsessive) work ethic it would be more relevant.
Mar 7, 2010 11:24 PM
Sep 2009
I remembered both parts of this one quite well, it was neat seeing it again :)
Just my two cents.
Apr 4, 2010 2:34 PM
Mar 2010
The people who didn't have to work wanted to keep working and the people that had to work wanted to stop working.
May 4, 2010 9:24 AM

Feb 2010
I really loved this episode, the railroad part was just so sad and the democracy part was just brilliant.
Beautiful anime :)
AlcoholicideSep 16, 2010 2:57 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
May 19, 2010 5:10 AM

Apr 2009
This was one of the more stranger episodes. I wonder how the 3 workers are so alike, yet they've never met each other down the railroad after 50 years.
Jun 6, 2010 1:01 PM

Jan 2010
i just love how this portrays the human stupidity xD
a true mind**** :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 3, 2010 9:46 PM

Jul 2009
I don't quite get the message in this epsiode, because the ones before it have been quite clear. Were the two stories supposed to intertwine? And what was the meaning behind "traveler, where are you headed?" Was it supposed to imply that her traveling was just as meaningless as the worker's jobs?
Jul 3, 2010 11:53 PM

May 2009
controlmajortom said:
I don't quite get the message in this epsiode, because the ones before it have been quite clear. Were the two stories supposed to intertwine? And what was the meaning behind "traveler, where are you headed?" Was it supposed to imply that her traveling was just as meaningless as the worker's jobs?

No I'm pretty sure the two stories are separate and I personally think that the "traveller, where are you headed?" part and Kino avoiding answering it is to show a contrast between her and the workers. The workers blindly following what their company told them to do with no questions and which we know, in reality what they do is pointless, while Kino is not bound down by rules set by others just her own and continues her journey freely. Also in a way I believe it's supposed to represent how pointless everything ends up in life eventually so we should do things we believe in.
Jul 13, 2010 9:02 AM
Feb 2009
that was beautiful...I nearly teared up. Pure art and poetry, expression and nihilistic pride without pretentious dogma
Sep 15, 2010 6:47 PM

Aug 2010
Silverhammer said:
Well I'm quite in love with Kino No Tabi now. That was a really interesting episode on the meaning of work, life, and the potential horrors of democracy, which is so often uncritically accepted as a good thing nowadays.

"Wow, to think that they keep working that meaningless job" was enjoyable irony too .^^

The system of democracy used in the episode was direct democracy which is not so often uncritically accepted these days, you're thinking of representative democracy.
Nov 5, 2010 10:36 AM

Aug 2010
Irony at its best.
Mar 7, 2011 10:14 AM

Jun 2009
I loved how they seem to be of one those little tales with moral lessons at the end.

Every worker did its job and it made possible the others’ task, yet it’s still meaningless… They’re working for nothing, their hard work ended up being pointless. They didn’t think so, though; 50 years working, but they didn’t know of each other; so, was it, or not?
I guess Kino didn’t want to tell the third worker her story since nothing would change, anyway, why try? They would be still bound by their sense of right, that they had to keep on the job, no matter how much time it lasted.

Working for the stress… Hell, that’s kind workaholic. The irony; if you have something, you don’t want it, when you don’t have it, you want it. Humans are never satisfied, who can understand them?

Oh, democracy. We don’t have any way to be freed of ours instincts of tyrant, do we? We always end up tripping twice over the same stone, and the cycle goes on endlessly.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jun 9, 2011 9:47 AM

Nov 2007
I thought the land of no work was pretty interesting. It's basically economics. If no one works and everyone gets what they want then the resources will eventually run out. And fast. So they get their points by doing pointless work.

The Land of the Majority was an awfully strange sort of democracy. No wonder it didn't work.

Oh, and I felt so sorry for the three men. I probably would have told them, but then the men might have felt a sense of failure so I guess Kino's non-interfering attitude works best at times. It doesn't seem like the second country was their country though. In fact, it's possible that all three men are from different countries, which would explain the insane situation.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Aug 20, 2011 7:53 AM

May 2010
Hmm...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 3, 2011 8:00 PM
Jul 2018
now i wonder, how we can apply the ep to reality...
Dec 22, 2011 8:01 PM

Mar 2011
I want to know where Kino is heading, but maybe she doesn't even know the answer.
Dec 23, 2011 2:58 AM

May 2011
Those three men probably just kept working until the end of their lives, which is kinda sad. Still I guess they are happy in believing they are helping their loved ones. Even if it may be just a fantasy.
Jan 30, 2012 4:30 AM

Feb 2009
So far, Kino is nothing sort of a masterpiece. Every single episode AMAZES ME in a way nothing else has ever done.
VeethornJun 24, 2012 9:54 AM
Jun 11, 2012 3:57 PM

Nov 2011
Jun 25, 2012 7:20 PM

Feb 2012
The story of the three railroad workers was interesting. Should we sacrifice our lives for those we love? When should we stop our sacrifice? Is it honorable or stupid?

While the democracy story is logically possible, I find it highly unrealistic. Athens used an absolute democracy and became the most powerful city-state in Greece for a time. That kind of system rewards the great speakers who can convince people to vote their way so effectively become the leaders of the government. Also, there is no point in killing the minority faction if you can just out vote them.
Aug 17, 2012 1:08 AM

Sep 2011
Railroad parts were pretty awesome.
Oct 30, 2012 7:51 AM

Jan 2010
Wow. Nothing too deep this time, but it was one hell of a thinker.
Dec 1, 2012 10:20 PM
Nov 2012
lol It's funny, but very deep as well. Rich in black humor.
Dec 26, 2012 12:03 AM
Nov 2009
insan3soldiern said:
AirStyles said:

I think Kino just didn't know the answer and just tried to avoid being asked the question, which maybe she thought was brought about by telling the story. Either that or we'll find out the answer later in the series, which I doubt in an episodic series like this. Maybe it was just meant to be ambiguous.

The question definitely relates to the episode itself. Just as Kino is unsure of her destination, The workers are equally unsure of where they're heading. In that way it's a bit of subtle irony. In contrast the townsfolk in the story as they know what their work achieves but, toil over it anyway.
soniccuzDec 26, 2012 12:08 AM
Dec 26, 2012 4:26 AM

Sep 2012
Traveller, Where are you- headed? 8)
Its safe to say I will be having nightmares of rail workers now xD
Jan 9, 2013 7:26 PM

Dec 2012
Another fantastic episode. I felt like the three railroad workers could be symbolic of the history of mankind. Throughout history, the same choices are repeated, only to be polished, torn down, or rebuilt by the future generations.

As for the land with the majority vote, it really showed the bad side of both extremes - leaving one person with all of the power and giving the power to everyone in the form of majority votes. It really shows how there needs to be a proper checks and balance in place for a society to function.
Jan 31, 2013 10:39 AM
Jul 2008
About the rail workers: In my opinios there has to be a metaphor. It is obviously a parabole, but I don't get it as much as I try. Can someone give me their interpretation of it?

kind regards

Iluvattar
Mar 2, 2013 8:55 AM

Aug 2012
This anime is really something....I can't explain but this is like ( can't explain )
I liked this anime :) also kino
Mar 12, 2013 12:19 PM

Nov 2008
How thought-provoking this ep is.
Mar 16, 2013 5:05 PM

May 2012
Lol the railroad part was pretty funny, cleaning -> braking them apart -> rebuilding

I do wonder why Kino didn't mention anything or went back to stop them...

Good episode though! Lets see what's next!
Mar 28, 2013 3:30 PM

Mar 2013
I don't know if it's just me but I interpreted the railroad workers as coming from the city that Kino talked about.

People in the city seem to work for the sake of working. The railroad workers were part of this city and sent to work on the rails just to get them working.

My view is that Kino was never actually there yet but heard things about it. When she met the workers, Kino told them what she heard about their own city (which makes it more ironic when one of them says that they're crazy). Then when they ask her where she's going, well… answering that would be awkward.
Apr 18, 2013 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
Another good episode.
Apr 24, 2013 9:17 PM

Mar 2013
skullking123 said:
Lol 3 noobs on the railroad lol

Hermes got pwnd by Kino in the end haha i was laughing pretty hard when that happened

ya i was too
also after the second person i was like WHO CHANGES THEIR MIND AFTER ONE DAY THAT THEY WANT A RAILROAD AND IS TO LAZY TO STOP THE FIRST PERSON
and then i realized there was going to be a third person and i laughed
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

153 by Extremo888 »»
May 8, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

99 by mySaudate »»
May 5, 6:29 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 15, 2008

84 by mySaudate »»
May 4, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kotori - Apr 15, 2008

179 by mySaudate »»
Apr 30, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

122 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 29, 4:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.