Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Dec 7, 2016 10:48 AM

Jul 2009
So ... Menma can only write in that one diary ...? That's ... some deus ex machina stuff if I've ever seen it O_O Anjo looks so cute in her outfits :3 So Menma's dad wasn't against it it was just her mom living in the past ... and well, I guess Yukiatsu really knows about that :P Him and Anjo sure are getting frustrated about how Jinta's the only one who can see Menma. Except that talk between them when they were making fireworks ... I actually kind of love how blunt they are with each other XD Imagine if they actually went out ... oh god am I shipping this now wtf >_< Poor Tsuruko though, does she have a crush on Yukiatsu? :O That last seen was SO hammy though, so obviously Jinta's not over her and is basically haunted by her leaving ... uggghhh. We still have Poppo's unasked question for Menma, and well by the looks of it ... please don't let it be that all 3 of them liked her ... sigh >_< Just hoping this show doesn't go downhill and have a terrible ending :S
Jan 25, 2017 1:06 PM

Apr 2015
So They Finally Know Her Presence...
Jul 20, 2017 10:38 PM

May 2016
It was funny to see them get so freaked out over the floating cupcakes and the fact that there really is a happy ghost among them. Tsuruko telling Anaru to let go of her only to strangle her later on xD

It's a surprise that the father wasn't really against the fireworks idea but Yukiatsu's grovelling really helped convince him.

I can't help but chuckle at Anaru's weird shirt but damn that was a tense confession scene. After Yukiatsu getting so furious against Jinta for not being able to see Menma and Anaru getting so hung up by Menma being more-liked by Jinta despite already being dead, them going out with each other doesn't really sound like a good idea, not to mention poor Tsuruko losing to two girls now...

Poppo got to play with Menma more but it seems that something's bugging him lately. I really thought that she fell off the bridge and died a second time and it was very frightening. I was about to cry then Jinta came out flying and I laughed my ass off instead. Menma's wish is closing to completion and Jinta is starting to have doubts on allowing Menma to pass on and leave him. It's very tough for him but I hope he won't try to sabotage the firework to let her stay.

Sep 7, 2017 8:47 AM

Feb 2016
It seems that Poppo is the only one who isn't envolved in any love triangle XD
Nov 16, 2017 1:50 AM

May 2016
Tsuruko you should have confessed baka, anyway I was surprised when Yukihatsu said he was serious, who wants to go out with the love hotel face.
Feb 27, 2018 4:50 PM
Jun 2017
There is no EVERYONE in here- they might be united as one but when theyre united, the PAIN is becoming more prominent now they know that Menma is there (as a ghost).

*and although they are back as one group, their way of thinking at each other is way so different- the Yukiatsu vs Jintan on not moving on from the past, Naruko on still harboring feelings on Jintan, hidden feelings of tsurumi on yukiatsu and so much more has been more felt when they are together and most of all THE REASON WHY THEY ARE UNITED IS BEACUSE OF GUILT OF WHAT HAPPENED ON MENMA!!!
Nov 3, 2018 12:47 AM

May 2013
Aw, so much for Yukiatsuruko >.<

I love how playful Poppo is with Menma X) they're super cute friends lol. But I wonder what his serious question was gonna be ;O
Jan 23, 2019 7:23 PM

Jun 2015
im assuming with what little information we have on her death, it was in a body of water via drowning, since he doesn't want her near that river
May 17, 2019 6:11 AM

Jun 2016
Well, there goes any hope of me being able to take this seriously. The last episode started doing what I'd say should've been done since episode 1, but this episode couldn't keep that momentum going and I ended up laughing harder than I did during Yukiatsu's final forest sprint. Oh well, at least I can say that I'm enjoying the ride, even if not as intended.

Also, learning that Poppo's seiyuu was also Yui in K-On! makes so much sense and so little sense at the same time.
TK8878May 17, 2019 6:16 AM
Mar 20, 2020 6:36 PM

Jan 2014
they keep saying menma is all grown up so someone explain to me why she just looks like a really tall really skinny overgrown skeleton child?? lol

i lowkey ship anaru x yukiatsu. doesn't make much sense but yukiatsu shouldn't still be in love with a dead girl and anaru is too good for jintan. poor tsuruko though...
Jul 3, 2020 12:03 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
It was funny to see Menma react at being called "kinda beautiful", but at the same time it was funny to imagine what this scene would have been like if the audience was not able to see Menma. It was also funny in the same way Yukiatsu was slamming his foot onto the fence while Tsurumi comments with "Yukiatsu snapped", and seeing Jinta flying after trying to get down a forest to meet up with Menma.
The writing is starting to feel like Kingdom Hearts level of writing and I don't know if I should be laughing for that reason XD

Whoever made this show really loves Nintendo... first "Nokémon", then the casual Mario and Luigi namedrop in the episode where Menma's trying to cheer up Jinta with some dolls, and now Menma casually namedrops Mario again. Nintendo's cool tho so I can't hate on that.
Aug 27, 2020 1:07 PM
Oct 2019
I think this show is ~good, but it's going to need an incredible ending these last 2 episodes for me to not think it's overrated, per its MAL score.

I wondered how Menma could eat. The food must just disappear? The fact that she can somewhat communicate with everyone makes the fact that Jinta couldn't prove her existence for the first 7 episodes that much more puzzling and upsetting. Serious plot holes... And did Menma not show up until this summer? For the first 5 years she wasn't around, but randomly this summer she appears?

I'm guessing Jinta's mom told Menma something and then Menma was going to tell the group? But then things obvi didn't work out.

Oh, and this rocket thing is still dumb. But I'm guessing, at this point, a big firework is going to be the story's climax.

Big guy likes glasses girl. Glasses girl likes smart guy. Smart guy likes Menma, but is talking to video game store girl because... anger, jealousy, Idk. Video game store girl likes Jinta. Jinta likes Menma. Menma likes...no clue
Oct 6, 2020 6:02 PM

Apr 2008
I actually like the anjo yukiatsu pairing. I think MC boy is going to be hung up on menma even after they grant her the last wish.

Agreed that the Mal score is a bit overrated for what it is, I suppose it is a top romance/slice of life anime of its time, but many new ones have surpassed it.
Jan 13, 2021 8:32 PM

Jan 2020
yukiatsu's switching between crushes too quickly :o

pretty good episode overall~ glad it's finally getting into more interesting parts.
dunno how they'll manage to end it in 2 more episodes though.

died laughing when jinta fell for some reason :p
3099Jan 17, 2021 3:35 PM
Jan 17, 2021 10:43 AM

Feb 2019
The reactions of Tsuruko, Anaru, and Poppo while Menma was serving them steamed buns were hilarious, especially Tsuruko and Anaru's hugging each other.

Yukiatsu begging like that was unexpected... I thought he was going to lift up Menma's father.

Maybe because of how easygoing and cheerful Poppo is, it seems like he's the one who gets along and interacts with Menma the most.

Does Tsuruko have feelings for Yukiatsu? I wonder how that's going to be covered and resolved in like two episodes...

I thought Menma falling was going to be trouble. But she's basically a ghost... can she die? Also, what's with the koi? Is that koi representative of something? I think there wouldn't be such a specific fish if it didn't serve any purpose.
Mar 15, 2021 2:23 AM

Apr 2017
Your love rival is dead and you still lose, oof.
cunnysseur
Apr 22, 2021 7:00 AM

May 2020
Kinda weird love triangles man, why pair Anjou with matsuyuki when he has been appearing with tsurumi for so long? This anime is good but the love triangles get on me :/
May 10, 2021 6:34 PM

Dec 2020
yukiatsu getting on his knees, practically BEGGING was a shock. a guy with his much pride doing that was surprising, but as tsuruko did say, he'd do anything for menma. the yukiatsu and naruko scene was also pretty cute, i feel bad for tsuruko but not a lot since we havent got a lot of character on her
Jun 3, 2022 12:51 PM
Oct 2021
*the tears start
this episode was a quite brief but nice display of the grief, and what a nice ending,
*11 years late :P
Jun 11, 2022 6:49 AM
Oct 2021
This one dealt with the emotions of everyone in the group, and we got a small glimpse of Poppo's perspective. Its all gonna come together in the end but nice one to start the beginning of the end.
Jun 15, 2022 10:26 AM
Apr 2022
Yukietsu going straight to Menma's dad was a surprise to me
Jul 3, 2022 7:28 PM

Jun 2020
"Those two were always scatterbrained"

No way that's the only explanation for why they never proved she existed..
Aug 9, 2022 2:43 PM

Dec 2007
Really thought that menma gonna fall and... well, die again.

Things got weirder now that menma is communicating life. lol
Aug 13, 2022 3:28 PM

Apr 2019
i think this series is nice but i hope the last two eps'll be masterpieces or it'll be overrated imho

i feel so sorry for tsuruko ngl, yukiatsu prob knows shes in love meanwhile he was stuck on menma first and now anjou? who still loves jinta... a mess
Aug 14, 2022 5:19 PM
Aug 2022
It is weird to see that Jinta just hug to air.
Mar 1, 2023 4:30 PM

Jun 2020

Ballista said:
Yukiatsu's motives seem suspect at best. He is clearly disturbed by the fact that Jintan is the only one who can see Menma, and him trying to get the wish fulfilled shows me that instead of wanting what's best for Menma, he wants her out of Jintan's life. There is a clear jealousy on his part, and him trying to force the issue asking Menma all those questions show that.

This thought was then enforced further when he kicked the crap out of that poor fence post after Jintan's chance meeting with him. Seems like he's doing all he can to spite Jintan, and I'm beginning to wonder if him asking Anaru out on a date is because of this as well. Getting one up on Jintan in this respect is probably his best move especially after they send Menma to heaven. That leaves Jintan with no one and I can definitely see that in his train of thought.

Poor Tsuruko misinterpreting the scene will probably create some tension between her and Anaru as well. Seriously, the guys (other than Poppo) are really screwed up in this group.
Yukiatsu is certainly a bitter, broken bird but how many of us could honestly say we wouldn't be the same? He's a very well-written character imo, he feels very real.
When his foot went for the fence while the train was coming my blood ran cold,thought he was about to do something very rash lol
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Mar 1, 2023 4:43 PM

Jun 2020
Ballista said:
Yukiatsu's motives seem suspect at best. He is clearly disturbed by the fact that Jintan is the only one who can see Menma, and him trying to get the wish fulfilled shows me that instead of wanting what's best for Menma, he wants her out of Jintan's life. There is a clear jealousy on his part, and him trying to force the issue asking Menma all those questions show that.

This thought was then enforced further when he kicked the crap out of that poor fence post after Jintan's chance meeting with him. Seems like he's doing all he can to spite Jintan, and I'm beginning to wonder if him asking Anaru out on a date is because of this as well. Getting one up on Jintan in this respect is probably his best move especially after they send Menma to heaven. That leaves Jintan with no one and I can definitely see that in his train of thought.

Poor Tsuruko misinterpreting the scene will probably create some tension between her and Anaru as well. Seriously, the guys (other than Poppo) are really screwed up in this group.

Yukiatsu is certainly a bitter, broken bird but how many of us could honestly say we wouldn't be the same? He's a very well-written character imo, he feels very real.

When his foot went for the fence while the train was coming my blood ran cold,thought he was about to do something very rash lol

Psychodrake said:
5layer said:
There was a fair bit of drama revolving around the way everyone treated Jinta, them thinking he is insane for a lot of episodes, all of which could have been avoided had he just asked Menma to pick up a cup in one of the early episodes. So that's kind of what I had in mind in terms of making earlier developments and drama redundant and the actions taken by the characters being less realistic.

Yes, that annoyed me too somewhat. My theory is that she didn't want to let herself be known incase she disappeared or w/e and didn't want to upset the whole gang. Hopefully it'll give some sort of explanation for the low-profile she kept for 8 whole episodes, otherwise yes, those 8 episodes are slightly more pointless than they should be.

The show is still fantastic, the drama is well handled, but I don't like how the whole ghost thing is handled.

Thus far they've acknowledged that it was very strange and kind of half-heartedly dismissed it, but from the tone of that conversation I gathered that everyone other than Jintan feels like there is something weird going on. I feel like they are setting up for something unexpected in the climax. I thought the same as 5layer up to episode 8 but I do think there could be a good in-universe explanation for this.

I do admit they could have handled it better in those early episodes rather than leaving it as a gaping plot hole for 3/4 of the show. You certainly couldn't get away with that sort of thing in a Western drama, you'd lose half your audience!
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Apr 2024
Honestly, this might be my favorite episode along with 7. Just full of emotion and life. But now we're at the closing arc. The story gonna end soon.
May 8, 10:07 AM
Jan 2024
like it was ok and complete with emotions
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1237 by Grimenio »»
Yesterday, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

388 by Grimenio »»
May 14, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

423 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 19, 2011

218 by Grimenio »»
May 4, 2:10 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

389 by Grimenio »»
Apr 30, 10:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.