Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2011 11:39 PM

Sep 2009
This looks pretty interesting. I was debating if I should watch this, then I heard it's somewhat related to Chaos;head. I thought that show was interesting so I decided to give this a try.
Apr 7, 2011 1:19 AM
Nov 2009
I think ep1 was OK. I didn't like this mad scientist laugh and behaviour - well, I don't like mad scientists at all. But I like time travel stories so I hope that will tolerate this guy somehow.
Apr 7, 2011 1:26 AM

Jan 2008
The most promising new comer of the spring season -so far. It's absolutely interesting and compelling though the main character is too quirky for my taste. Overall 4.5/5. Looking forward to the rest!
Apr 7, 2011 7:55 AM

Mar 2011
What just happened ?

lol @ the banana part
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 7, 2011 9:35 AM
Jul 2009
Oosran said:
Sesshoseki said:
STM said:
Oh, forgot about the OP and the ED.
The OP and the ED man... They are so. Fucking. AWESOME. Seriously.
Itou Kanako did another great job. As expected of her. She's incredible.
I didn't know what to expect of the ED, but when I first heard it I was speechless. It was... amazing. I just... don't know how to describe it.
Is there even a OP and ED in the advanced screening whatsoever? O.o Besides that they'll probably just use the OP n ED from the VN of it.
Well, no. It wasn't in the advance screening. Though if you know where to look for what, you can find both the OP and ED. Which for that matter aren't the same as the VNs OP/ED.

Where do I look for the OP and ED? :S And what's a VN?
Apr 7, 2011 11:49 AM

May 2010
OP is 10 minutes into the ep? WTF!

Good and mysterious ep though
"My happiness comes from the kindness of those around me"
Apr 7, 2011 11:52 AM

Apr 2011
I was so confused xD but I'm giving up on it just yet. It does have potential. Though Okabe Rintarou aka the MAD SCIENTIST is a funny and interesting character who I already like.
Apr 7, 2011 3:03 PM

Aug 2008
pretty good episode ^^
but it was a little confusing in the end XDD

Your life is just little part of this world...

Apr 7, 2011 7:06 PM

Nov 2010
ok this started out pretty good...i think. i just hope half way thru it doesnt bring in something totally ridiculous and ruin it like a similar anime i know of...
Apr 7, 2011 10:48 PM

Nov 2007
pacing's pretty shitty so far, to be honest... i was disappointed, but the banana part LMFAO.

ANATA NO BANANA BUNYUU BUNYUUUU.
Apr 7, 2011 11:19 PM

May 2009
Interesting episode some parts were confusing but I can sort of get the time traveling thing and now i need to know more
Apr 8, 2011 6:31 AM

Jan 2010
Personas said:
I hope the next episode gives more clarity >.>
I honestly don't freaking get why do some people always ask for clarity, explanations and answers when watching anime?! I mean, come on! You will get them in time! Otherwise watching the anime would be pointless!

And who would rate an anime based on the fact that the first episode was confusing? That is extremely stupid...

Eternal_Shield said:
well guess next episode should atleast clear things up
Don't count on that. It's a mystery anime.
Apr 8, 2011 10:26 AM

Aug 2009
People actually went into a science-fiction thriller anime thinking everything would be clear when watching the first episode?
I've lost all hope in humanity.

hfinity said:
OP is 10 minutes into the ep? WTF!

That's because at that exact part the OP started playing the VN. They wanted to stay close to the source material. I was quite happy they started playing the OP there.
Samu-tanApr 8, 2011 10:37 AM
Apr 8, 2011 10:48 AM

Mar 2011
werr-y said:
Personas said:
I hope the next episode gives more clarity >.>
I honestly don't freaking get why do some people always ask for clarity, explanations and answers when watching anime?! I mean, come on! You will get them in time! Otherwise watching the anime would be pointless!

And who would rate an anime based on the fact that the first episode was confusing? That is extremely stupid...

Eternal_Shield said:
well guess next episode should atleast clear things up
Don't count on that. It's a mystery anime.

You don't watch a lot of mystery-esque series, am I right?(about the "otherwise the show would be pointless")

But, I kind of agree with you, but for another reason; if it's MADE to be confusing, YOU have to think about it. Saying everything in the second episode would ruin all the fun and be boring as hell. Theorize like crazy during 15 episodes, and then let the anime tell you if you were right or wrong... if you're lucky and it does it.

I've seen a lot of people expressing how much they adore the opening and ending themes, but I can't bring myself to agree. Once you've heard one or two Kanako Itou songs, you've truly heard them all. Urgh.

...what,
I could understand if you were talking about Find the blue/FDD, but hacking to the gate is so different from other songs by Kanako taht I believed that it wasn't from her during a moment...

People actually went into a science-fiction thriller anime thinking everything would be clear when watching the first episode?

...this + your picture= my first thought: "He's awesome".

Anyway, after watching it 5+ times, it is in fact a LOT more confusing that it seems at first view. I remember someone saying that it is easy and the only thing is that Kurisu survived, well, No. If you look closely, the timeline is a complete mess even before this and everything is confusing as hell.
Apr 8, 2011 11:19 AM

Aug 2009
puella-magi said:
I've seen a lot of people expressing how much they adore the opening and ending themes, but I can't bring myself to agree. Once you've heard one or two Kanako Itou songs, you've truly heard them all. Urgh.

And they're all great, aren't they?
And they're not that alike. Hacking to the Gate is very different from, let's say School Days' songs, Myself;Yourself's ED and ChäoS;HEAd's OP.
But I can't help it. I'm just a huge fan of her music. <3

willardhwright said:
Anyway, after watching it 5+ times, it is in fact a LOT more confusing that it seems at first view. I remember someone saying that it is easy and the only thing is that Kurisu survived, well, No. If you look closely, the timeline is a complete mess even before this and everything is confusing as hell.

And it will most likely get way more confusing later on.
But I loooove confusing mysteries, they're THE best. You won't hear me complaining when Steins;Gate turns into one of those. <3
Apr 8, 2011 1:18 PM
Feb 2011
that laugh...hahaha
Apr 8, 2011 5:05 PM

Jul 2009
Bland and boring animation. Flat and annoying characters. Bad direction and pacing. Too much unnecessary talks that could be reduced and replaced by more meaningful dialogs. Cliche theme. Only decent thing is character interaction which is ever so slightly funny.

What to hope for in the next ep:

_ Graphics improvement but that's quite unlikely as it seems to be the style this show will thereby adopt.

_ In-depth character development of the currently shallow main cast, is there more revelation about their character that we're unaware of thanks to the horrible 1st ep?

_ Apperance of a candy eye to gain more motivation (red-head girl) because there's none for now with a megalomanical (self-proclaimed mega-super-faggot-scientist?) ugly MC, a moe shit air-headed girl who has nothing better to do than buying Dr.Pepper, and a closet fat-ass otaku.

_ The plot/theme will finally be unfolded besides trashy sci-fi talks and the overused time-traveling device. And maybe even better if they can pull of some decent plot-twists but that sounds like hopeful wishing for now...

Too soon to say anything conclusive about the show as a whole but as far as ep 1 goes, it's close to garbage.

1/5

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Apr 8, 2011 6:55 PM

Apr 2010
Someone tell me if this was a good adaptation of the VN... please... I need to know. Usually the anime tends to ruin the VNs so I must know before I watch any more of it.
Apr 8, 2011 10:10 PM

Aug 2009
CRAZEH247 said:
Someone tell me if this was a good adaptation of the VN... please... I need to know. Usually the anime tends to ruin the VNs so I must know before I watch any more of it.

So far when I read in 2ch, receptions are mostly positive from VN readers except some fast pacing.
Apr 9, 2011 4:30 AM

Apr 2009
CRAZEH247 said:

I didn't play the whole vn, but I checked it out, and I'll have finished it by the next episode of the anime. From what I can say so far, it actually isn't deprived of this strange and chilling atmosphere. Characters are basically the same, what is a very good thing, as most vn to anime adaptations tend to leave characters underdeveloped and change their personalities altogether. So far, so good. What bugged me a bit, was how fast everything was proceeding - they're not taking their time, but they're not overdoing it, too. Even though it was a bit disturbing, I believe it may turn out to be a good choice to fasten things up a bit. As we all know visual novels' adaptations are either too rushed, or their content is cut down by half or so. Here, with 24 episodes and such pacing... hmm, I'd say it's possible to contain the whole story and not rush it to the extent known from UBW or Umineko. I really, really hope that after decent After Story, we will finally have the chance to watch another fairly good adaptation of a vn. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that the studio responsible for above-average Katanagatari won't fail to deliver the quality we're looking forward to.

Apr 9, 2011 8:35 AM

Dec 2009
This show is interesting, even though I didn't think it would be like this :p.
Apr 9, 2011 9:10 AM

Dec 2007
So far so good, hope it keeps up and for the love of God does not turn into another Chaos;Head..
Apr 9, 2011 9:23 AM

Aug 2009
Blackiris said:
CRAZEH247 said:

I didn't play the whole vn, but I checked it out, and I'll have finished it by the next episode of the anime. From what I can say so far, it actually isn't deprived of this strange and chilling atmosphere. Characters are basically the same, what is a very good thing, as most vn to anime adaptations tend to leave characters underdeveloped and change their personalities altogether. So far, so good. What bugged me a bit, was how fast everything was proceeding - they're not taking their time, but they're not overdoing it, too. Even though it was a bit disturbing, I believe it may turn out to be a good choice to fasten things up a bit. As we all know visual novels' adaptations are either too rushed, or their content is cut down by half or so. Here, with 24 episodes and such pacing... hmm, I'd say it's possible to contain the whole story and not rush it to the extent known from UBW or Umineko. I really, really hope that after decent After Story, we will finally have the chance to watch another fairly good adaptation of a vn. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that the studio responsible for above-average Katanagatari won't fail to deliver the quality we're looking forward to.

You can understand Japanese?
Apr 9, 2011 3:04 PM

Oct 2007
Well I expected this much of confusion since this was came from the same author who wrote ChaosHead. But the ending made it clear that that was the early event of the beginning of the episode. If you remember what Kurisu asked Rintarou "15 minutes ago, you were trying to tell me something, right?" that was where he came out of the elevator with a surprising face after seeing Kurisu is still alive at the end of the episode.
SivaApr 9, 2011 3:08 PM

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 9, 2011 4:36 PM

Sep 2009
Wow. I'm sufficiently confused, but I guess that that's only natural since I watched this episode in 2 hours because of a bunch of other distractions. :U
Apr 9, 2011 11:03 PM

Aug 2008
It feels a little fragmented which accounts for the confusion I'm experiencing. Nevertheless I'm curious to see how this would play out. Definitely watching this.
Apr 10, 2011 12:59 AM
Jul 2010
Personally, I love confusing things. I love episodes that get me wondering about what's going on and I loved every single detail in this episode. The characters seem to be great as well. I think it was a great start to this series: it didn't disappoint me at all. I just hope the rest of it meets the expectations thins episode was able to build and doesn't leave anything unexplained.
The OP and ED were both great. Not only the songs but the animation as well. Loved it.
Apr 10, 2011 3:14 AM

Jul 2009
This might turn out to be a rather interesting anime, with a start that includes :
Texts sent into the past
Interesting Trio
Etc.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Apr 10, 2011 7:55 AM

Jul 2007
I am LOVING this.

Finally anime worth checking out(after quite a long time).

I am interested on which theory exactly will they use to explain the time fluxes and on if it will be more like Donnie Darko or more like Primer(or something in between those two with a mix of If Only).

I would not be surprised if at least one of his two companions is already dead or has not been born yet, which would fit into whole time continuum disruption surrounding them three..

His delusions are also an interesting thing. Will it be just usual psychosis or is it something like the psychical state Donnie Darko was in - an insanity that leads towards a certain point in time.

Its sad to see so many viewers confused though.

this story involves time travel. don't expect anything explained by the laws of normal reality. Most time travel stories involve certain kinds of causality paradoxes and are very heavy on time travel mechancs. Not to mention that if this is as confusing as Primer, viewers themselves will need to sort out what happened and when happened.

+10 for not overusing background music. Its nice to see anime that respects the power of silence. Ever since Buffy episode in season 5 "Body", I haven't really seen any show or anime that could use complete lack of BGM as BGM.
+10 for time travel hijinks and causality paradoxes.
+10 for no overly cute char designs.
+10 for artistic washed out color palette.
+10 for good cliffhanger.

Overall: 5/5

P.S. Anyone feel that Falling satelite will be used in similar way as Plane was used in Donnie Darko movie? It sort of gives me the same feeling.

NeloDeath said:
Poor mans version of Welcome to the NHK + scifi.

Then you clearly did not understand anything in the plot. This was nothing like NHK and so far its not much into scifi but into the plausible contemporary scifi, that is if they use any of quantum theories to explain the time travel, it is realistically plausible.

darkerealm said:
It feels a little fragmented which accounts for the confusion I'm experiencing. Nevertheless I'm curious to see how this would play out. Definitely watching this.

Of course its fragmented.

ITs a time travel story with at least 6 different parallel timelines already. There's no straight timeline.

BitchMaster said:

_ Graphics improvement but that's quite unlikely as it seems to be the style this show will thereby adopt.
_ In-depth character development of the currently shallow main cast, is there more revelation about their character that we're unaware of thanks to the horrible 1st ep?
_ The plot/theme will finally be unfolded besides trashy sci-fi talks and the overused time-traveling device. And maybe even better if they can pull of some decent plot-twists but that sounds like hopeful wishing for now...

- Animation is not needed for this kind of show. Its not action or drama kitsch. So far its pretty much hard scifi story.
- We already know more about these charracters than we do in shows like gintama or ef-tale of memories :) Each character is succesfully distinct and stands out
- The plot theme is time travel and causality paradoxes. Certainly hope they won't add anything cliched like love stories or defeat-the-badguy type of stuff. Its nice to see a philosophical approach to time travel in anime.

STM said:

This this.

Too much crap is being fed to general audience nowadays. Viewers start to expect being held by the hand through everything, with nothing unexplained or open.

Thats why many great things that require viewer to interpret stuff get a lot of bashing from general public.

IMO so far this show is the only one worth following this season.
Apr 10, 2011 8:00 AM

Oct 2010
kinda hard to follow because i didnt played the game. but its not bad for the 1st ep.
Apr 10, 2011 8:04 AM

Jul 2007
shuncchi said:
kinda hard to follow because i didnt played the game. but its not bad for the 1st ep.

Game is just as hard to follow, if not more, since anime is more fast paced than game was.
Apr 10, 2011 10:42 AM

Jul 2010
Fai said:

STM said:

This this.

Too much crap is being fed to general audience nowadays. Viewers start to expect being held by the hand through everything, with nothing unexplained or open.

Thats why many great things that require viewer to interpret stuff get a lot of bashing from general public.

IMO so far this show is the only one worth following this season.

BEST COMMENTS SO FAR. well we could say we have different perspective and opinions but some are just rambling shit from those who failed to use their "brains".
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 10, 2011 11:44 AM

Apr 2009
STM said:
Blackiris said:
CRAZEH247 said:

You can understand Japanese?

I can't say I'm fluent and I'd probably have huge problems with talking to a native, but when it comes down to understanding written text, I can manage. And you can always use AGTH+Atlas to look up what you cannot fully understand... It takes much, much longer than reading it in English (even though I'm not a native), but it's not impossible and with those 300 or so kanjis, and the aforementioned tools, one can comprehend 90% of the text + 5 additional percent from the context.

Apr 10, 2011 4:15 PM

Mar 2011
Fai said:

ITs a time travel story with at least 6 different parallel timelines already. There's no straight timeline.

Fufufu. So I'm not the only one who thought about this?

although I only saw 5 timelines personally. Maybe 4 if I'm REALLY nice about some parts where I'm not sure about it because I lack informations, it will depend of ep2, but that's an absolute minimum. 2 are not enough to explain everything in this episode (The thing is, most things are not as obvious as people disappearing).)

All the random phone shots, sometimes unexplained, are also curiously well placed compared to this, by the way.
But I'm still confused about the phone undergoing disturbances. I've one or two ideas, but nothing effective for the moment.

- The plot theme is time travel and causality paradoxes. Certainly hope they won't add anything cliched like love stories or defeat-the-badguy type of stuff. Its nice to see a philosophical approach to time travel in anime.

They probably will. But as long as it is a DETAIL and something well done, which contribute to the story, It's not a problem for me.
But yeah, complex time travels are quite rare. And not only in anime.

Well, you know, asking people to use their brain is waayyy too much nowadays. Everything must be perfectly clear and explained after two episodes.
Ho. And don't forget to bash the show after this because "it was too obvious".

I can't say I'm fluent and I'd probably have huge problems with talking to a native, but when it comes down to understanding written text, I can manage. And you can always use AGTH+Atlas to look up what you cannot fully understand... It takes much, much longer than reading it in English (even though I'm not a native), but it's not impossible and with those 300 or so kanjis, and the aforementioned tools, one can comprehend 90% of the text + 5 additional percent from the context.

Translation aggregator is also really good, if you need it.
I should do it in japanese soon... when I'll be less lazy.
It should not be too long, I'm used to japanese VN thanks to umineko ~~
Apr 11, 2011 5:54 AM

Aug 2009
cunt said:
wasnt planning to follow this one but decided to give it a chance and now i'm so glad i did! its so good + interesting :)

Completely off-topic, but what an interesting username you've got there.
Apr 11, 2011 6:48 AM

Jun 2009
When I saw that Texhnolyze's director was handling this, I immediately thought "Fuck yes.".
Apr 11, 2011 3:50 PM
Apr 2011
FIRST POST AS AN MAL MEMBER!!

But anyway this might be a little late but my impression of the show was that it was all over the place. From what I have seen, the show should turn out to be interesting but the first episode was kind of blah to me. I don't know. Maybe the second one will spice things up a bit.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Apr 12, 2011 1:07 AM

Aug 2010
I just finished practically non stop watching ChäoS;HEAd so I could watch this and I really hope it was worth it
It was a kinda strange 1st episode so i hope it gets better
Apr 12, 2011 1:10 AM

Jan 2009
CrystalLake said:
I just finished practically non stop watching ChäoS;HEAd so I could watch this and I really hope it was worth it
I have now lost count of all the people who are dead set about having to watch ChäoS;HEAd before Steins;Gate.
It's still not like they really have anything to do with each other.
And yes, this was a pretty useless post, oh well.
OosranApr 12, 2011 1:23 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 12, 2011 8:52 AM

Nov 2010
Too fast for the first episode imo.
But great nevertheless.
Apr 12, 2011 9:35 PM

Apr 2009
Although I have no idea what is going on, I do like the fact that Rin is voiced by Miyano Mamoru.
Apr 13, 2011 8:53 AM

Jul 2009
Work your brains.
Apr 14, 2011 7:46 PM
Jan 2011
If it wasn't too dark it was too bright everywhere. Despite these things the ep itself was interesting.
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Apr 15, 2011 6:57 AM

Oct 2009
Waw.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2011 3:55 PM

Apr 2009
I dun get it. Loving the op and ed though.
OShoranOApr 15, 2011 4:00 PM
Apr 16, 2011 5:51 PM

Mar 2009
interesting...interesting...
Apr 17, 2011 7:24 PM

Dec 2010
Really interesting and great characters, but I'm confused
Apr 20, 2011 9:46 AM

Feb 2009
A pretty good first ep :D I liked the pacing xD Had it's funny moments and wtf moments spaced out quite nicely.

Gosh..I was thinking that Rintarou sounded like Miyano and I was bang on. xD Nice to see him voicing a psychotic mad scientist character <3 He's amazing at the role, as he is with most.
Apr 23, 2011 9:09 AM

Jun 2009
The first episode looks awesome. ^^
Apr 24, 2011 12:37 PM
Feb 2009
not making senseee 0.0
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1829 by mjjones0 »»
May 3, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Activelee - Aug 16, 2011

485 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 30, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 6, 2011

685 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Apr 28, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.