Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2011 9:54 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was seriously unimpressed by the play we've been building up to all this time. Also, the ending sucked, no real resolution to speak of. I'm just hoping that this is something they did for the anime and that the manga will be better.
May 8, 2011 8:50 AM
Sep 2010
[This May Contain Spoilers. Read At Your Own Risk.]

Tsukikage does her Scarlet Angel but never ended it leaving her apprentices to think of their new Scarlet Angel. Maya and Masumi think of each other and their hearts were connected..FOR ONLY ONE SECOND!which totally upsets me..and there's more!Mayumi sama think its all an illusion but, thankfully, maya doesnt think so... Masumi never broke his engagement with shiori..*depressed* I was totally going for Masumi and Maya from the VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY start..sigh~~~

Anyways, Genzou san saw Maya and Ayumi and called them towards the bridge to the plum valley. Genzou burned the bridge and ran to the other side. He said some words from Tsukikage san who is also on the other side but wasn't seen, of course. The End. The Ending Music Video had Maya and Ayumi practicing Scarlet Angel. Ok... In other words this anime had an Open Ending. I could really have cared less if either Ayumi or maya got the Scarlet Angel as long as Masumi and Maya were together.I still cared for Scarlet Angel but how could I not when there were TOO many heart throbbing moments before the last episode. It just doesn't add right... Just when she knows who Mr. Purple Rose is and also her pure feelings.. In the end, they were in bliss for ONLY ONE FREAKING SECOND. IMO, I love all their plays.. Anyways, I looked up the information. According to my sources, it seems that the ending of the anime stopped at volume 41 but as of my knowledge(5/8/11) only till volume 33 is translated ..For some reason, I'm a sucker for these kinds of animes..to be specific is the romance in it because these kinds always have awesome pairings..like Skip Beat! Hopefully, Ren doesn't become Masumi..Well probably not since the president has some plans for them..*grin grin*

Very Fantastic Anime but hateful romance ending. No worries there is still hope from the manga. The feeling of the mixture of hate and love still stays within me that I even went here to do this. I can't think of anything other than Masumi and Maya. I should go to a psychologist.
May 22, 2011 1:19 AM

Oct 2008
I didn't like the ending! I thought something more exciting will happen =_=
Jun 3, 2011 1:07 PM

Sep 2008
._.

jacobpaige said:
I was seriously unimpressed by the play we've been building up to all this time.

Agreed. And I'm seriously unimpressed by this ending...
jacobpaige said:
Also, the ending sucked, no real resolution to speak of.

... so I agree with you on that point, too. Man, what a disappointing ending for an anime that started off so well, and was, for the most part, consistently interesting and entertaining throughout its entire run.

Oh well... I still really enjoyed the majority of the episodes! Really too bad about the ending. Not sure how to even rate this now...
Jul 3, 2011 7:40 PM

Jan 2011
Guys, the reason the anime ended that way is because the manga is still ongoing. The anime could not have given a resolution with the manga still unfinished. Let's hope that when the manga finishes they might finish the anime as well.

Currently in the manga,
Jul 5, 2011 5:05 AM

Feb 2011
This anime gives me so much headache that I wish it will end right away not because it sucks but it's something that it feels like I'm the one who is experiencing Maya's hardship in this anime and to much drama that I can't handle.

Now about the ending which I've been anticipating that didn't happen, it left me unsatisfied and disappointed.

7/10
Aug 7, 2012 5:57 AM

Jan 2012
Shame the series have to end this way.... this was one of the best series I've ever watched. I literally couldn't stop watching it.
Sep 1, 2012 9:22 PM

Nov 2011
Ehh? What an unfitting ending to such a great anime! This is like the disappointment I felt when I finished Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I will imagine a different last episode and pretend it it the true end (>,<)

I liked how Genzo burned the bridge down. I've been rooting for MayaxMasumi since the beginning, so I was really mad that the tiny moment between them was all we got. Urgh. The last few episodes were slightly choppy, ever since Maya won that award. There was great buildup throughout the anime. A few moments like the fight scene between Maya and Ayumi was really awesome. Also, the scenery in the Valley. By hindsight, I can kind of tell that it was going downhill even if there were a few parts that kept me from realizing it while I was still watching. I was kind of hoping for Tsukkihage Sensei and President Hayami (the father) to die after her final performance...

So in the end, I don't know what to rate this anime. Overall I enjoyed it, but this last episode could've been way better, whether or not the manga was continuing. Ah well, Glass Mask was definitely worth watching ^u^ What an amazing drama. Kept me hooked all 51 episodes.
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
Oct 21, 2012 4:57 PM

Jul 2008
The last episode was ok, but it didn't felt that it was the ending of it. I'm pretty sure it was continued in the manga, but this title is much more appropriate to be an Anime.

I hope they continue the series with our current art and sound style. Glass Mask 2013?
Jul 8, 2013 3:10 PM

Nov 2011
Ya...ending felt a bit dull but overall was a nice experience. The romance part felt a bit dull though just saying. Oh and I never really liked Ayumi's character for some reason.

7.5/10.
Jul 24, 2013 4:06 PM

Sep 2012
So disappointing!
Aug 10, 2013 10:43 AM
May 2013
I loved this series. i cried so many times. i agree though. i want this series to end so that i can bask in maya's glory that girl has been through so much.

you guys are right that ending was horrible. if you were to ask me, i dont want maya to be with masumi. hes inconsistent and ruthless. can we not forget that maya's mother dies bec he kept her from maya? i hold grudges. what masumi did was unforgivable. im all for Sakurakoji! why cant the nice guy get the girl?!
Aug 10, 2013 10:45 AM
May 2013
Taylor_elle said:
Guys, the reason the anime ended that way is because the manga is still ongoing. The anime could not have given a resolution with the manga still unfinished. Let's hope that when the manga finishes they might finish the anime as well.

Currently in the manga,

hi! i would love to get an update of the manga. i really wanna know how it ends already!
May 29, 2014 8:03 PM
Oct 2009
So it ended. No one got the role yet.. and Tsuchikage-sensei probably died among the plums, the old man followed in her footsteps so I'm guessing he also died or they will die eventually, out there amongst nature~ I had a small break between watching the first 48 and the last 3 eps so I kinda wasn't sure if Masumi broke up with his bride-to-be but apparently he didn't. Even I thought he'd do it in the end. N why did he collapse, he's not an old man or anything.. he shouldn't be THAT surprised by Maya's confession or was he taken in by her acting.. but he had plenty of time to recover seeing as she had changed when they came to get him..? n why the heck did he think it was an illusion lol... anyway I picked this up after I learnt that the manga is among the best-selling titles and it is still ongoing so I'll prob read it one day, when it's completed and translated, hopefully. Don't know how to rate this but I couldn't stop watching one episode after another, so it had me glued to the screen, no doubt about it, so it will be at least an 8/10 :) It was a nice watch and I'm glad this remake exists - it is totally worth the time!
Sep 10, 2015 10:09 PM

Jul 2007
jacobpaige said:
I was seriously unimpressed by the play we've been building up to all this time. Also, the ending sucked, no real resolution to speak of..

Pretty much my thoughts too. I did enjoy the show mainly because the female lead did a pretty good job keeping things interesting. However the ending was horrible.

Rewatchable? Maybe. I wasn't a huge fan on how everyone treated Maya like dirt most of the time and that she never seemed to care they did that! At least the friends apologized to her..

Anyway, I did enjoy how each play offered a new idea, often referencing something I hadn't heard about. The dynamic between Maya and Masumi was great overall even if the finale left much to be desired.

Overall this show barely scrapes by to get an 8/10 from me. At least as a first watch it was quite fun and different to me because I haven't seen really any shows with such a strong emphasis on acting.
Sep 18, 2015 7:20 PM

Feb 2010
This is a message from Tsukikage-sensei:
*sets the bridge on fire*
"u mad bro?"
*falls to death*
Oct 4, 2015 9:41 PM

Jan 2012
Aside from the lackluster play and romance this show was awesome.
you sound poor
Oct 7, 2015 1:56 PM

Apr 2014
i really enjoyed this anime the entire time and the ending was fine with me because i know there's the manga. but if the manga didn't continue the story, i would have been very upset. i hope they do an anime sequel but it's probably unlikely.

i feel really bad for Shiori, she seems like a nice person and it's not fair for Masumi to continue playing with her heart like this. i hope he breaks it off fast in the manga.

overall 9/10, it's one of those rare anime that keep you entertained the entire time rather than having to wait 2/3 of the episodes to watch that last good 1/3 part of it.

i probably liked the beginning of this anime the most
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2015 9:14 AM
Aug 2015
Well, no spoilers from me, but I was very disappointed in the ending, especially considering how much time I put into it. I saw it all the way through because I cared for the characters. Can anyone tell me which numbered volume of the manga to start on to continue from where the anime left off?

iwubanime said:
jacobpaige said:
I was seriously unimpressed by the play we've been building up to all this time. Also, the ending sucked, no real resolution to speak of..

Pretty much my thoughts too. I did enjoy the show mainly because the female lead did a pretty good job keeping things interesting. However the ending was horrible.

Rewatchable? Maybe. I wasn't a huge fan on how everyone treated Maya like dirt most of the time and that she never seemed to care they did that! At least the friends apologized to her..

Anyway, I did enjoy how each play offered a new idea, often referencing something I hadn't heard about. The dynamic between Maya and Masumi was great overall even if the finale left much to be desired.

Overall this show barely scrapes by to get an 8/10 from me. At least as a first watch it was quite fun and different to me because I haven't seen really any shows with such a strong emphasis on acting.
Feb 26, 2016 5:51 PM

Jun 2008
Dafaq with that ending
I'd say we are back to square one but the anime itself was entertaining, interactions between Maya and Ayumi, Maya and Masumi and the whole plot and ways of acting and Tsukikage training Maya
Well such a waste this anime doesn't have an end, can't expect another remake even if the manga is somehow over one day lol
Apr 19, 2016 3:15 PM

Jun 2015
Well, this ending wasn't that bad either. Tsukikage-sensei's performance could've been more impressive, and this episode is far to be one of the best, but it didn't ruin the series like the majority of comments here make it look like. Considering the manga is still on-going, worse stuff I've seen.

The anime overall's been awesome. Really liked some of the performances and the main characters were great. It seemed to follow kind of a formulaic structure when some random actresses tried to ruin Maya's performances (until it just stopped happening), but the story managed to surprise me throughout.
Aug 16, 2017 7:35 AM
Aug 2014
So The Scarlet Angel wears a mask? Then what does that scar even matter.

Pretty weak ending to the show. At 51 episodes I thought it would have somewhat of an ending.

Not sure I'd call Maya and Ayumi rivals either when Maya was superior every single time.

Barely 7/10
Nov 13, 2017 2:10 AM

Aug 2014
what a garbage ending.. all that buildup for that confusing mess of a play? like what the hell..

i liked the actual play acting like the wolf/doll/puck but everything else was boring and uninteresting with stupid drama..
Nov 21, 2017 11:24 AM

Jan 2010
Yeah, the ending kinda sucked, but the road there was awesome. I enjoyed the performances and Maya one-upping everyone, I'd give it 8/10 just for that.

On the other hand I almost barfed at the Masumi romance plot. It felt so forced, he did so much shit, she's underage, why the hell on earth would she feel anything for him? Maybe if he lost like an arm or all his wealth trying to protect her and even then it's a hard sale.

The writing felt a bit dated at times in general, even for a mid 70's manga, but what the hell it was worth it for all those wonderful performances.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Jan 8, 2019 10:19 AM

Mar 2012
Can anyone who has read the manga tell me whether this episode is a part of the manga and how much did the anime adapt?

This series was really amazing. I had earlier read about the manga being in and out of hiatus so right after finishing watching the last episode I went straight to Miuchi-sensei's twitter account to check for updates. She says that she will complete the series. I hope this will get a season 2 to cover the rest of the manga once it's completed.
May 17, 2019 6:02 PM

Apr 2009
No real conclusion, an unsatisfying ending esp regarding the build up to this play everyone were fussing about. I'm not so sad about the Maya and Masumi not ending up together, I've felt it's weird to ship them considering Masumi knew her when she was like 13 and even if she's now 18, I think, it's still not okay. I've always felt that he confused his admiration for her and her talent and her passion in acting with love. She surely attracted him but I don't think that it's romantic feeling in deeper sense. Maya certainly is in love with him though.
Too bad about the ending, but the show is generally very entertaining.
Dec 7, 2019 11:43 AM

Oct 2015
To tell the honest truth, this was lackluster no matter which angle you look at.

Where fuck did Tsukikage went to there in the forest? I get she sent Genzo to burn the bridge as a sign that Ayumi and Maya should forget this scarlet angel with its content and soul, and instead build their own with its own ending and stuff. But where the hell did you go after, did you die or decided to live quietly?

I was expecting some sort of a chosen one at the end, and some stellar performance from Maya, but meh! Instead we had some weird bizarre incident I wouldn't call a performance between her and Hayami. The hell? The other called it an illusion, and the other called it some soul connection, was that a connection? Japanese are like this when it comes to anime endings, they just can't get them right most of the time. The Masumi x Maya ship has become the titanic, totally mysterious.

Overall I enjoyed this, and I still love Maya and Ayumi despite this mediocre. The animation was steady for me. The plot build up was great, but the ending sucked. The are some parts or sub plots in the series that were completely rushed, and weren't totally build well like Maya's relationship with that idol, her mother's relationship, Sakurakouji, her troupe and the time skip. Music was nice though, and the performance.

I wish to see it again in future.

8/10.
lihle808Dec 7, 2019 11:46 AM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 7, 2020 6:14 AM

Jul 2019
I was seriously unimpressed by the play we've been building up to all this time. Also, the ending sucked, no real resolution to speak of. I'm just hoping that this is something they did for the anime and that the manga will be better.
Jan 24, 2022 3:45 PM
Jan 2022
I agree this show was very intriguing episode after episode.

And I'm with whoever said some of the relationships were rushed, and it focused more on the productions rather than the side relationships, which was okay from time to time, but I did want to see more of her relationships with her fellas, especially because I didn't think any of them were a good fit, even Masumi. I get that we're being guided into having Masumi be the right fit for Maya, but it has disturbed from the very beginning.

First off, she was a child when he started developing feelings for her. Second off, he played a hand in making her life miserable by ending the Tsukikage acting school and keeping her from her mother who was clearly dying. Third off, he is completely emotionally abusive to her. He is controlling and manipulative. He even kidnaped her when she was just starting to heal after her mother's death, which was partly his fault.

I honestly can't root for Masumi and Maya getting together. I really hope they don't! Yet that's how these anime's go. The MC always ends up with the most abusive partner.

Even though I thought Sakurakouji was too much of a pansy for Maya, there was more pure love from him than the other love interests, something Maya really doesn't get very often and needs.

I still like the show for its interesting characters and drama. However, I have to take it in spades because of all the emotional abuse.

Feb 2, 2022 10:07 AM

Feb 2012
Maybe it never could have been as great as they tried to build it up, but I'm thinking The Scarlet Angel isn't that great as a play, which actually should have been obvious from the start. The text is just poetic and mystical and full of abstractions. The reason why only a few people are able to perform it at all is because the text doesn't provide enough for the actress to go on. So it gives just a little, and that's why all that training was necessary, to turn oneself into a character that can fill in from her imagination and identification with nature everything that is missing from the play. So the only reason the play could be great is if the actress performs in a way that impresses everyone, has certain physical presence.

That kind of play is great for bringing forth the talent of the rivals, but at the same time the mystique of the unique play is lost; its uniqueness lies not in being good as a play, but in its blankness, how much freedom of interpretation changes it.

As for the ending, I guess it was fine, many things left open. The brief encounter with Hayami and him walking back to the car with his fiancée was a bold move, but for me it felt satisfying, largely because I felt ambivalent about the romance in the first place. On the one hand, we got a romantic moment which could be interpreted as hope for the future, and on the other hand, Hayami's abusive and manipulative ways made me think they weren't that great a match. So maybe it's just better to leave it at that.
Feb 23, 2022 10:40 AM

Feb 2020
Had it good part (Especially the rival aspect and acting and play) and had its bad parts - ending sucked big time, tv drama arc was mess and this last arc was kind of dragging and not quite good. Ichiren turned out to be bigger pedo (I felt like he commited suicide because of feeling guilty of being pedo lol). The entire shiori drama is just unwanted (reminds of the teen idol shit). Seem like it is just there to draw parallel between chigusa and maya. Hope maya doesn't share the same fate. Ayumi got another shallow love interest in the foriegn photographer.

Overall, the love drama is the worst part of this show. It was decent at the beginning when it was just sakurakoji and hayami. But rest of the shit happened it became pure nonsence.

But still other aspect are still good. I did like Ayumi and maya bonding.

In the end, I dont believe this story's conclusion will be seen even in manga. Even if the author says she will write to conclusion, she is just way past the age where she had the ability to continue it. If she didnot drag it for so many years it would not have happened. Kind of unfortunately, but then again the content of last few released volume (content after anime) summary doesnt really make me care for it much.

A similar show, Nozomi in the sun even though did not have as much as depth but it knew when to start and stop without letting things get worse. So in the end that turned out a better watch
AdampkFeb 23, 2022 10:47 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 9, 2022 1:56 PM
Apr 2016
This anime was amazing! I didn't like all of Maya's hardships and I wish that her relationship with Masumi Hayami was more developed, it would have been amazing to see! I was all in for the romance lol. But I really really enjoyed this anime and had hoped that it didn't end right of way, I wanted more development into her acting abilities, more romance development and also more of a better ending. The ending kept me wanting more, I was unsatisfied with what I had seen. That ending made me wish there was more magma and more of a series.
Jun 26, 2022 1:38 PM

Oct 2014
Ugh this ending sucked. I want to give this an 8/10 but the last arc have been articious for me. I don't want to say it ruined the show for me because I care about the overall experience and I enjoyed 85% of it but all that hype for this play... when the writing of it was super medicore. Like I don't give a shit for The Scarlet Angel and somehow, we need to see the final results with Ayumi or Maya? The only thing she have going for her is she a spirit yet the romance seemed flat (maybe they will expand on it in the manga), the struggles of hers flat, conflict flat. I might go to the manga to see the ending and I sure hope it's better than this cuz this served nothing.

I can't decide if it's 7 or 8 out of 10.
Jan 5, 3:42 PM
Feb 2022
Reply to RizzaCarla
[This May Contain Spoilers. Read At Your Own Risk.]

Tsukikage does her Scarlet Angel but never ended it leaving her apprentices to think of their new Scarlet Angel. Maya and Masumi think of each other and their hearts were connected..FOR ONLY ONE SECOND!which totally upsets me..and there's more!Mayumi sama think its all an illusion but, thankfully, maya doesnt think so... Masumi never broke his engagement with shiori..*depressed* I was totally going for Masumi and Maya from the VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY start..sigh~~~

Anyways, Genzou san saw Maya and Ayumi and called them towards the bridge to the plum valley. Genzou burned the bridge and ran to the other side. He said some words from Tsukikage san who is also on the other side but wasn't seen, of course. The End. The Ending Music Video had Maya and Ayumi practicing Scarlet Angel. Ok... In other words this anime had an Open Ending. I could really have cared less if either Ayumi or maya got the Scarlet Angel as long as Masumi and Maya were together.I still cared for Scarlet Angel but how could I not when there were TOO many heart throbbing moments before the last episode. It just doesn't add right... Just when she knows who Mr. Purple Rose is and also her pure feelings.. In the end, they were in bliss for ONLY ONE FREAKING SECOND. IMO, I love all their plays.. Anyways, I looked up the information. According to my sources, it seems that the ending of the anime stopped at volume 41 but as of my knowledge(5/8/11) only till volume 33 is translated ..For some reason, I'm a sucker for these kinds of animes..to be specific is the romance in it because these kinds always have awesome pairings..like Skip Beat! Hopefully, Ren doesn't become Masumi..Well probably not since the president has some plans for them..*grin grin*

Very Fantastic Anime but hateful romance ending. No worries there is still hope from the manga. The feeling of the mixture of hate and love still stays within me that I even went here to do this. I can't think of anything other than Masumi and Maya. I should go to a psychologist.
@RizzaCarla Can you please elaborate what's going on in manga with maya and masumi?
Feb 12, 8:33 AM

Dec 2022
I've been dreading a bad end for a couple of episodes now, but surprisingly I liked it.

Tsukikage sensei's depiction of the Scarlet Angel was mesmerizing.

Never seeing Maya or Ayumi participate in the play doesn't seem very important to me.

It's out of place to say it here, but Tsukikage-sensei's abuse might have reminded Maya of her mother. I wish Maya's relationship with Tsukikage was explored more.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 49 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 12, 2011

9 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 12, 7:27 AM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 45 Discussion

senerikfred - Dec 13, 2009

11 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Glass no Kamen (2005) Episode 47 Discussion

greentutu - Jun 29, 2013

7 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 46 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 12, 2011

5 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 6:15 PM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 43 Discussion

Tsulaa - Oct 31, 2011

4 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 9:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.