Forum Settings
Forums
ALIVE
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2010 12:10 PM
Mar 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Finally, it ends.
What a shivering thought to think the author wrote this in his deathbed...
Dec 28, 2010 5:30 PM

Sep 2009
i thought there is 1 more chapter.. but w/e this series is a masterpiece.. thanks to Kawashima-sensei. Salute

◄░▒▓█★I wish not to live long,Only long enough to know What it means to LIVE
◄░▒▓█★K.
Jan 1, 2011 8:06 PM

Jul 2009
Too bad he didn't ended up with Nami...7/10
Great work sensei!
Jan 2, 2011 7:36 PM

Jan 2008
Jan 3, 2011 9:57 PM

Oct 2010
I think it was awesome that he didn't end up with Nami.
He's absolutely realistic, not something decided by the fans. And a loyal one as well for staying true to his old love. I respect the writer for writing such a character.
Jan 8, 2011 1:49 PM

Oct 2009
wow ! this manga made me cry :(
i'm sooo in love with this manga ..but too bad he didn't ended up with Nami :(
still this series is a masterpiece <3
Jan 8, 2011 6:58 PM

Jun 2009
Taisuke's such a moron, Nami's an obviously way better choice. ┐('~`;)┌ She looks sexy with that wavy hair. <3 While Megu with that short hair look like she's after 40. D :

Meh, anyway 7/10 fullu deserved.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jun 8, 2011 10:15 AM

May 2010
after following it for so long, this manga does it all
a true masterpiece, and we have the great author to thank for that.

still hoping this to be animated ><

~Nyaaa~

Aug 16, 2011 11:32 AM

Apr 2009
A great manga, really captivating! And with some very interesting character!
Jul 31, 2012 1:37 PM

Apr 2010
Noooo hirose!!!! :( wish he and megu ended up together. but that part where taisuke said he loved megu to nami was so sweet!
"Do not consider yourself deprived because your dreams were not fulfilled; the truly deprived have never dreams."
-Marie von Ebner
Apr 14, 2013 1:41 PM

Dec 2009
Really disappointed with its overall development and ending... --especially the ending! What a gay ass ending!

No romance for anyone in the end, I was rooting for Nami since Megumi went distant mode as if they were acquaintances... hate that bitch, her character development was horrible too.

What a bad ending... 8/10.
May 13, 2013 10:43 AM
Feb 2011
This manga brought nothing new. It is your typical action shounen. I predicted for the most part how it was going to end from the start.

Like most other manga if this type my favorite characters when side characters (Youko and the truck driver chick).
Jun 15, 2013 2:39 AM
Jul 2018
And thus, this series is complete. I've commented on every single chapter discussion threads about this series, and now it's over. Wow, what a really great series. Despite the fact that I had read that the ending was terrible, I really liked the ending. It fit well. It was nice to see everyone got together again. Wow, 5 years later, and they really changed, look-wise. Yuta and Aoi really grew up, and I was expecting a more obvious hint that they were a couple, or at least liked each other.

I'm glad Taisuke didn't use his regeneration powers. A series ending with the main character alive, but physically damaged is rare. It sucks that he lost his arm, but at least it broke from cliche. And I figured he'd end up with Megumi, but I definitely liked her hair longer. Oh well, it's more about personality than looks, and childhood friend always wins.

A very chilling and sad ending. Chilling considering the author wrote it just before dying. It may have spurred the series to a quicker conclusion than he had originally had, but it also made those last few lines really mean more. And sad that, despite it all, Hirose and Mitama are gone forever. Really for Taisuke and Megumi, but at least they have each other now.

Overall, I really liked this series. Sure, it may have been a fairly typical shounen-battle series, but at times it managed to break out of it's cliches and being refreshingly unique. I still liked the parts before the first timeskip better, when it was still a mystery as to what was going on with this thing called "Akuro's Heart". The long series of events of tracking the heart down wasn't quite as good as Taisuke going after Hirose in the beginning. But, the series did have a great beginning and end. I'm really glad I read this series, and I hope that somehow the anime project can be revived. And i'd also love to see the remaining volumes released in the US. But, if nothing else, i'll definitely remember this series as something that I really enjoyed.

Final score: 8/10
Jan 11, 2014 2:18 PM

Aug 2013
8/10 for me I guess.. would have been great if it was Nami.
Megu wasn't bad at first but I don't even know when I got fed up with her..
Taisuke is an idiot.. I'll forget about Megu.. she looks better with long hair =="
I will just appreciate the happy moments with Nami.. she's so sexy with that new hairstyle.. my god. <3
I would have prefer some lovey moments for the end between them rather than that joke though.
Feb 4, 2014 10:50 PM

Feb 2013
The ending is just fine, not that good, but not that bad as well. Though it is ironic about how the comrades(the powers I mean) seek to evolve by becoming one or something, but it only result in losing themselves which is sort of worse than dying...? Maybe I'm thinking too much hahaha
Feb 25, 2014 5:47 AM

Jul 2013
I read this 4 years ago. Man he really shouldve gone with Nami. Thank you mangaka san for creating this series despite your physical condition. His dedication was respectable.
Oct 5, 2014 1:28 PM

Jul 2010
Very medicore ending to otherwise pretty good manga. And that he didn't end up with Nami will forever pain my heart, I just can't stand Megumi...
Dec 23, 2014 12:34 PM

Jul 2012
Best girl didn't win?! 1/10

All jokes aside, this was a good manga overall. I got a few chills after realizing the writer wrote the script in his...death bed for this chapter. That's interesting, huh.

My main concern with this series is that each chapter was 50 pages long (should have been only ~30 pages since it's shounen) and there were over 80 chapters, which made it WAY TOO LONG for its own good. So much time was wasted on giving teases on "Akuro's Heart" when it wasn't even such a big deal in the end.

7/10
Jan 13, 2015 5:22 PM

Nov 2011
A 5 year time skip huh?

Good narrative, decent premise, and engaging story. The comedy was spot on most of the time as well. Ugh, I can't believe Nami (best girl) didn't win though. For some reason, I didn't like Meg much at all throughout this series. 7/10. I really hope an adaptation happens again in the future; without a cancellation of course.
Mar 3, 2015 7:23 PM

Aug 2013
StormSky92 said:
A series ending with the main character alive, but physically damaged is rare.
lol doesn't this happen all the time

Nice manga. Shame he didn't end up with Nami. There was so much more development between the two and frankly Megumi's character lacked substance.
Apr 11, 2015 1:48 PM

Mar 2015
I really like the ending. It gave me a sense of the story being finished and every major problem had been resolved. Unlike other shounen fighting series, I thought Alive was very fulfilling. Although I do have some irrelevant questions.
What happened to all the minor characters? (Ryou,Youko was implied to be married I think, Haru's father, Ledger)
What about school?
Who is Kurumi Okada? (Like is she relative?)
Although I am still a bit confused on what they tried to teach was the value of life and death, but I'll eventually understand when I read it a second time.

The ending monologue, I think, fits all of us perfectly. Taisuke explained how even though there are holes in his heart, he will continue to live on. Those gaps will eventually be covered up, but never forgotten. We also have holes in our hearts. Having read a really good manga or watched a satisfying anime, we gain holes in our hearts. These holes will eventually be covered up, meaning we will eventually be able to live on without crying for more, but we will never be able to forget the adventure the story took us on. We will always hold it dear as we live on.

I didn't really care who Taisuke ended up with, but Yuuta and Aoi seemed perfect to me.
Jun 13, 2015 5:00 AM

Jun 2011
I think the fact that the author finished this on his deathbed made it a lot better and meaningful. Death is scary, but the author managed to convey such hopeful ending is impressive. That said, the story itself was meh. Too much was focused on the "Akuro's heart" imo. Some characters did not have as much importance as I'd hope for.

MasterDetective said:
StormSky92 said:
A series ending with the main character alive, but physically damaged is rare.
lol doesn't this happen all the time
I really liked that as well. Taisuke trying to live without an arm is inspiring, he is trying his best! I also liked the implication that he purposely didn't heal his wound, he wasn't a fan of using his powers anyway.

A decent read overall, might reread this in the future.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 27, 2015 3:49 PM

Jun 2013
Great read, ending monologue was touching, knowing about the author's state while writing it.
I personally don't mind Taisuke with Megumi, though I liked Nami more. ( straight hair suit her more)
I'd like to know more about Hirose's and Mitama's whereabouts too.
7.5/10
eisanJun 28, 2015 7:16 AM
Jul 1, 2015 9:45 PM

Jun 2014
Nami became more prettier. o_O

Laevantein said:
Too bad he didn&#039;t ended up with Nami
OrochiPL said:
Taisuke&#039;s such a moron, Nami&#039;s an obviously way better choice. .
JetFury said:
Man he really shouldve gone with Nami.

^ QFT

fiane said:
I think it was awesome that he didn&#039;t end up with Nami.
He&#039;s absolutely realistic, not something decided by the fans. as well for .

nah. it was a cliche choice. Nami can be a more realistic choice.

For some reason I felt like this manga is a mixed of Naruto and Monster. lol

5.5/10
Jan 3, 2016 9:29 PM

Sep 2015
Didn't really understand half the things that are mentioned or happened in the manga. But it's understandable though--this might have been pushed to end earlier than planned because of the author's deteriorating health.

Ryou remains the best character in this manga XD Not even the main characters can beat her. Well, Yuuta is okay... and Nami... and that's all.
Jan 11, 2016 6:42 PM

Feb 2015
I really, really enjoyed this manga... but add me to the list of people who wanted him to end up with Nami. I actually felt sick to my stomach when Taisuke said he loved Megu, LOL. I've never had a reaction like that to a character's choice of love interest before, because I generally don't give a shit -- but this one hurt. Ah, well. Great manga, Megumi aside.

At least we got this:

EDIT: On second thought, Megumi can have Wansuke. He's too dumb for Nami-chan, anyway. She can do better!
mayqueenJan 11, 2016 7:00 PM
Aug 23, 2017 5:46 AM
Aug 2017
This thing is masterpiece. But I said it was OK because Hirose.... *starts crying again*
Aug 23, 2017 5:48 AM
Aug 2017
lolLIPopsz said:
Noooo hirose!!!! :( wish he and megu ended up together. but that part where taisuke said he loved megu to nami was so sweet!

I KNOW RIGHT! I have mixed feeling reading that scene! WHY MUST IT BE HIROSE????? CAN'T THE THREE FRIENDS AT LEAST GET A LAST GROUP HUG OR SOMETHING GEEZ!!?!
Aug 23, 2017 5:50 AM
Aug 2017
blessofcurse said:

Laevantein said:
OrochiPL said:
JetFury said:

^ QFT

fiane said:
He&#039;s absolutely realistic, not something decided by the fans. as well for .

5.5/10

Um actually no. If Taisuke ends up with Nami it will be more cliche cuz Nami really hates him the first time they met. It's a "I hate you then I love you" cliche.
Aug 23, 2017 5:50 AM
Aug 2017
blessofcurse said:

Laevantein said:
OrochiPL said:
JetFury said:

^ QFT

fiane said:

5.5/10

Um actually no. If Taisuke ends up with Nami it will be more cliche cuz Nami really hates him the first time they met. It's a "I hate you then I love you" cliche.
Sep 6, 2017 5:10 AM

May 2010
Went from an 8 to a 7. The second arc was kinda confusing for me tbh.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 19, 2018 11:55 PM

Jun 2016
Taisuke you idiot
May 18, 2018 2:19 AM

Jun 2016
^ the ending is fine. Still bitter why Taisuke didn't end up with Nami. T^T
Overall 7/10.
Apr 22, 2019 9:51 AM
Feb 2016
Ehh...I’m glad just skipped till the last chapter...that ending was dissapointed af tbh
Jul 14, 2019 10:45 PM

Apr 2016
Decent series, I enjoyed it a lot, the art is great! The comedy mostly on point and have some great actions, the only disappointing thing in this series is Taisuki choosing Megu.. Aaasasarghhh
Nov 28, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 2017
Megu's a thot. Change my mind.
Jan 16, 2021 5:51 AM
Dec 2020
Why do people care so much abt hair lengths lmfao
Sep 9, 2021 8:28 AM

May 2020
A pretty decent battle shounen, although it is pretty tropey. Really wish he chose Nami and I'm also disappointed that Megumi was just basically a MacGuffin for the entire series.
Jul 29, 2023 9:06 PM

Dec 2009
waalex11 said:
Really disappointed with its overall development and ending... --especially the ending! What a gay ass ending!

No romance for anyone in the end, I was rooting for Nami since Megumi went distant mode as if they were acquaintances... hate that bitch, her character development was horrible too.

What a bad ending... 8/10.
Maybe I'll reread this to maturity of today to properly change the rating to 4-7/10 depending how bad it is, but for my sake, here are my immature notes of 2013:

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alive Chapter 23 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jul 12, 2008

7 by JeremiahOrange »»
Apr 9, 2023 6:55 AM

» 83 or 82?

frild - May 25, 2022

2 by frild »»
May 25, 2022 10:47 AM

» Alive Anime

sammy-lame - Jun 15, 2021

2 by Sochodark17 »»
Mar 5, 2022 6:54 AM

Poll: » Alive: Saishuu Shinkateki Shounen Chapter 54 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 26, 2013

2 by N30-R3TR0 »»
Mar 7, 2019 10:01 PM

Poll: » Alive Chapter 33 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Aug 21, 2008

4 by N30-R3TR0 »»
Feb 24, 2019 10:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.