Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]
Jul 15, 2020 12:50 AM
Feb 2017
Nisioisin really is a fantastic writer. Able to create a tragic romance such as Katanagatari and disguise it as some action/comedy.

I love how from the very beginning, Togame was dead-set on gaining power in order to avenge her father of the rebellion and destroy the Shogunate. However, along the way with Shichika she learns to love him for more than a tool for her own gain. However, in the end she is killed off for being the child of the rebellion leader. Princess Hitei planned to “complete” the last Deviant Blade by stripping Shichika of his emotions, making him become the ultimate weapon and seeing through that Kiki’s plan would possibly come to fruition.. Togame’s final speech was her attempting to lay out her flaws and lie about getting rid of Shichika in an attempt to get him to live out his own life, not just simply existing and not moving forward after her death. This failed however, as with nothing left, Shichika seeks out to die at the hands of Emonzaemon. Shichika would easily blowing through the 11 of Shogun’s guards with their inexperience with the eccentric weapons, and with Shichika able to fight at full power without any restrictions, he’s able to kill Emonzaemon, thus leaving no one else capable enough to kill him. Upon reaching the top, he decides to kill the Shogun as that is what he believed Togame wanted. After this event, he wanders Japan to fulfill what Togame has promised to do with him after the 12 Deviant Blades were collected, which also fulfills Togame’s final request of him living out his life. He’s also accompanied by Princess Hitei, which I found at first to be weird but it makes sense.

What’s interesting about Princess Hitei is that she didn’t care whether or not Kiki’s plans worked, and thus accepts her death at the hands of Shichika once she sees that Emonzaemon failed to kill him. However, he doesn’t kill her and instead asks if she liked Togame, in which she just stated that she didn’t dislike her. Then, at the end of the story with nothing else to do in the capital and Kiki’s plan ruined, she decides to follow Shichika around and help fund his journey. The reason she does this can be that she felt regret for killing Togame and thus wanted to keep Shichika company and keep him funded for his journey. Quite ironic that both individuals lose their respective partners, and thus keep one another company through each other. Her cutting her hair is also a sign that she is trying to fill the role of Togame for Shichika.

Katanagatari isn’t a story about individuals collecting swords, it’s a story about people learning to move on with their lives and not hanging on to the past. This show is truly amazing, and its ending is one that I won’t forget for a long time.
MegaStrideJul 15, 2020 1:01 AM
Jul 17, 2020 8:37 PM
Jul 2019
This ending sucks ruined the whole show for me
Jul 18, 2020 11:33 PM
Feb 2017
Sikweeb said:

How so? Just because Togame dies? She isn’t suppose to live? That would make the ending worse.
Aug 17, 2020 8:14 PM
Jul 2019
BlakexEkalb said:
Sikweeb said:

How so? Just because Togame dies? She isn’t suppose to live? That would make the ending worse.
yes she dies and it just seemed like such a rushed and out of no where ending compared to what it could of been
Sep 7, 2020 8:49 PM

Jan 2014
BlakexEkalb said:
Nisioisin really is a fantastic writer. Able to create a tragic romance such as Katanagatari and disguise it as some action/comedy.

I love how from the very beginning, Togame was dead-set on gaining power in order to avenge her father of the rebellion and destroy the Shogunate. However, along the way with Shichika she learns to love him for more than a tool for her own gain. However, in the end she is killed off for being the child of the rebellion leader. Princess Hitei planned to “complete” the last Deviant Blade by stripping Shichika of his emotions, making him become the ultimate weapon and seeing through that Kiki’s plan would possibly come to fruition.. Togame’s final speech was her attempting to lay out her flaws and lie about getting rid of Shichika in an attempt to get him to live out his own life, not just simply existing and not moving forward after her death. This failed however, as with nothing left, Shichika seeks out to die at the hands of Emonzaemon. Shichika would easily blowing through the 11 of Shogun’s guards with their inexperience with the eccentric weapons, and with Shichika able to fight at full power without any restrictions, he’s able to kill Emonzaemon, thus leaving no one else capable enough to kill him. Upon reaching the top, he decides to kill the Shogun as that is what he believed Togame wanted. After this event, he wanders Japan to fulfill what Togame has promised to do with him after the 12 Deviant Blades were collected, which also fulfills Togame’s final request of him living out his life. He’s also accompanied by Princess Hitei, which I found at first to be weird but it makes sense.

What’s interesting about Princess Hitei is that she didn’t care whether or not Kiki’s plans worked, and thus accepts her death at the hands of Shichika once she sees that Emonzaemon failed to kill him. However, he doesn’t kill her and instead asks if she liked Togame, in which she just stated that she didn’t dislike her. Then, at the end of the story with nothing else to do in the capital and Kiki’s plan ruined, she decides to follow Shichika around and help fund his journey. The reason she does this can be that she felt regret for killing Togame and thus wanted to keep Shichika company and keep him funded for his journey. Quite ironic that both individuals lose their respective partners, and thus keep one another company through each other. Her cutting her hair is also a sign that she is trying to fill the role of Togame for Shichika.

Katanagatari isn’t a story about individuals collecting swords, it’s a story about people learning to move on with their lives and not hanging on to the past. This show is truly amazing, and its ending is one that I won’t forget for a long time.
This helped a lot, thanks. I was really confused why Shichika would spare the princess but kill emonzaemon, when the princess is the one who ordered him to kill Togane... but I suppose it’s bc of her last words

I was confused by the history altering thing, but I think I’ll give the anime a 9/10. Props to the writers for packing in so many messages into a seemingly straightforward anime about collecting swords. Also the character development is awesome
Sep 7, 2020 9:33 PM
Feb 2017
laputia said:
BlakexEkalb said:

This helped a lot, thanks. I was really confused why Shichika would spare the princess but kill emonzaemon, when the princess is the one who ordered him to kill Togane... but I suppose it’s bc of her last words

I was confused by the history altering thing, but I think I’ll give the anime a 9/10. Props to the writers for packing in so many messages into a seemingly straightforward anime about collecting swords. Also the character development is awesome

I’m glad someone else gets it. The ending can be very polarizing if you don’t look into it much, but it’s quite cool.
Sep 27, 2020 9:58 PM

Sep 2018
If Shichika immediately find a doctor, maybe it's possible for Togame to live.. but no.. they still talk a lotttttt! The only thing I like in this anime is the relationship of Shichika and Togame. What a huge let down!

I really hate it when main characters died. They make Shichika a soulless warrior again. They collect all the sword and then Shichika break it all! What's the use?!! I'm disappointed and mad.
Nov 27, 2020 3:56 AM

Dec 2015
@St0rmblade Zut, I was searching for your final reaction to the series but there is nothing around december 2018. (Too bad, the series just fell to a few euros. Guess I'll rely on nihon--review's take on it.)
Nov 27, 2020 4:49 AM

Aug 2017
Rei_III said:
@St0rmblade Zut, I was searching for your final reaction to the series but there is nothing around december 2018. (Too bad, the series just fell to a few euros. Guess I'll rely on nihon--review's take on it.)

That's a shame, I guess I wasn't a frequent forum poster back then. The series is very much my type of show though, I enjoy adaptations of nisioisin's stuff, and the lengthy dialogues full of puns that he's famous for. Katanagatari will consciously subvert your expectations in several moments, but I hope you'll enjoy it (the charadesigns alone are adorable). A good measurement is your opinion on the Monogatari Series by the same author - you either love both or...well, you can't not love them

There's also a spinoff novel "Maniwagatari" expanding on the antagonists but I'm not aware of anyone who's read it outside of Japan (despite it being licensed and translated into English a couple of years ago). Anyway, have a good time! I hope you haven't caught any "spoilers" in this thread (despite your opinion on them) :p
St0rmbladeNov 27, 2020 5:01 AM
Dec 6, 2020 9:54 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
A very thought provoking ending! This episode had one of the best fight sequences that I have seen in a very long time. It is more pleasing if you had watched the earlier sword fights so that you can see how he has evolved and developed his own strategies. I like all the unanswered questions that pop into my head that allows each of us to have an opinion about. Good stuff...... 9/10

Dec 26, 2020 12:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
An absolutely impressive show. Beautiful art, animation and ost. And a bunch of very relatable characters in a well written story with both great action and romance. I cannot believe it took me so long to get around to watching this.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 21, 2021 1:44 PM
Apr 2015
she was dying way too long
Feb 7, 2021 1:32 AM

Jun 2020
One of the absolute greatest final episode in all of anime...
May 6, 2021 8:48 PM

Jul 2016
From the future, still one of the best animes out there. Looking at some of these old old comments from when the episode released, these people had some shit taste lmao. Thank god that era of viewers are gone.
May 12, 2021 5:03 PM

Sep 2018
lol, what is with that cucked ending? XD

After watching this series in a span of a few days, I get the feeling the score for this series is a little high, thanks to the monthly releases and people spending a whole year with this series overall. 7/10. The action, the emotional impact, the story and the outcome, all average in the end....
GakutoDeathGlareMay 12, 2021 5:06 PM
May 30, 2021 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
Jeez, I'm so glad I didn't watch this when it was airing. Imagine waiting a whole year for...this.
Aug 3, 2021 6:44 AM

Dec 2018
Started off strong but the last 2 or three episodes kind of fell off for me, not DiTF badly, but disappointing nonetheless
Dec 9, 2021 10:38 AM

Jun 2020
Wow! Shichika is caring about Togame so much even after realizing her selfishness. The ending was a banger.

Dec 19, 2021 10:32 AM
Aug 2020
I thought it started incredibly weak and then got better and better with every episode until it peaked with episode 7. The ending was alright but nothing special. 7/10, I doubt I will remember anything from this show in 3 days.
Jan 7, 2022 4:15 PM
Dec 2021
fantastic anime!!!! Greninja.
May 2, 2022 8:53 AM

Feb 2021
The ending was good enough for me, it was fun seeing Shichika going all edgelord in the final fights. The death was way too melodramatic and drawn out tho. I give this an 8/10
Jun 1, 2022 6:37 AM

Nov 2020
kinda have mixed feelings about the ending. i'm admittedly incredibly biased, i'm a sucker for romance and very much wanted to see this show end with togame and shichika being together. i acknowledge and actually agree that from an objective standpoint the way this show ends is definitely superior to what i wanted but, all that stuff about "oh the time we spent together and emotions and your entire involvement were all tactics for me to get what i wanted" and the fact she planned to kill him in the end... i can't help but feel like the investment i put into togame as a character as well as her and shichika's relationship was kinda betrayed. i dunno, like i said i do agree that i think the way the series ended was the correct way and i still think very highly of the show as a whole, but togame's ending has left a sour taste in my mouth i don't know if i'll be able to come to terms with
Jul 28, 2022 2:47 PM
Nov 2021
Cheerio! Honestly was pretty sad Togame died at the end. Really good show overall. Oh and number 10 fight lol.
Aug 5, 2022 10:29 AM

Mar 2019
I don't get it, this whole ending just felt like a whole lot of nothing to me... Well, I suppose the journey is more important than the destination and the journey sure was great but this one episode felt as if it had done everything it could to make it meaningless.
OωO
Aug 24, 2022 3:53 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Ok so yeah I did pretty much skim over episodes 8 to 11, but I did watch this final episode in its entirety. And I guess it's not too bad, but I'm still I didn't waste nearly an additional 4 hours of watch time to this series. I'm glad it has an actual ending unlike pretty much every anime season these days, but alas to me at least it just doesn't feel worth the journey. Kind of just left here thinking "what was the point", you know?

Not gonna prolong expressing my disappointment here, I'll just say that I thought the first episode slapped, but slowly but surely I realized that the writing style just makes it all drag on rather than being actually smart. It all culminates to this final episode which is, just barely adequate. I'm going to bet that most people were satisfied with this, 8.32 score and all, and while I wouldn't call it a bad anime by any means when looking at it plainly, I personally don't feel like the time spent watching all this is worth it. Wanted to love it, but alas it wasn't meant to be for me at least. It showed a lot of promise at first though.

5/10

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 4, 2022 2:14 AM
Apr 2020
Well it's a very unique and a crafty ending.. Tbh I found Shichika and the Princess going together on a journey FREAKIN WEIRD.. But if you watch the last episode detail by detail, you'll understand it why they're together now.

I once drop this show and coming back on it 2 years after and yeah it's good. I'm glad I watched it again but I still have a mixed feeling with the ending, as I have been a guy who really likes complete/satisfying endings. I have no idea that this is a tragic anime but maybe I just didn't like tragic ones? Well it is what it is. It's a good watch overall and I'll rate it 8/10...
Oct 28, 2022 6:36 AM

Jan 2014
Man, I just love it when they do a proper ending and not any open-end crap. I expected the story to take some kind of "Steins;Gate" twist to find out that after collecting all 12 swords he will be able to correct/change history so I was actually pleasantly surprised to find out the actual ending. Anyway, this was quite a superb anime.
Mar 28, 2023 5:45 PM
Jan 2014
I love how you can very easily tell from all the comments, who was into this show for the story, themes and characters and who just cared about romance and ignored the plot as a simple accessory to watch it through. Its almost patronizing how the latter commenters engage with anime as a whole if that is all they care about. Like, watch a slice of life or shoujo if romance is such a do or die thing for you.
Jun 8, 2023 5:35 PM

Aug 2020
What a production delivery here. I couldn't expect anything below epic, and thankfully that's what I got. A conclusion that will stay with me for a long time. I'm going to miss this series for all it was worth of, especially for the long episode length. I also loved the characters.

Cheerio!

Oct 29, 2023 1:12 PM
Apr 2018
Having such a tragic ending makes me sad, so I think the history was considerably engaging

After all the journey It ended up in an ending that was unfruitful. Well, planting a seed and putting in all the effort doesn't guarantee it will blossom. But all the seeking for the sword resulted in carnage for all sides. No sword in the end and no significant future change in the system
Dec 4, 2023 5:40 PM

Jul 2017
I'll confess I got confused with so many words spoken by Togame and the part of altering Japan's future or not. But the Boss Rush part with Shichika easily beating all the swords he previously collected was nothing short of epic. He knew exactly how to fight every one of them in a very short time.

Quite a good show that made me enjoy even during the most confusing parts.
Jan 3, 9:06 AM
Jun 2020
The last episode was GREAT!
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bautrey37 - May 23, 2010

163 by Aldones »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.