Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 11, 2016 8:20 AM

Jul 2015
Man i hope it's a happy ending with them living there love, don't die Togame !
May 21, 2016 1:48 PM

Jul 2013
Woah, Pengin's death was brutal and sad. With him and Houhou dead and the entire Maniwa clan exterminated, that means that the Maniwa are extinct now? That's really depressing.

Now the stuff about how some of the Deviant Blades like Biyorigou are really weird and/or too advanced to be of the ancient Japan has sense, Shikizaki Kiki created them using his abilities to foresee the future. Glad they have explained that and that is not a mere rule of cool introduced to make the setting more badass.

And the end... I'm speechless... please, don't die, Togame ;_;
Jun 14, 2016 11:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well I said that no one is particularly villainous in this show, but man, I almost want to say Emonzaemon would fit in that category. I mean did he really have to kill Pengin like that? Even if Pengin wasn't a child, it's still unnecessary. As an assassin, or whatever he is considered as, he only needs to kill, not instill fear or torture the target. Okay so he didn't really torture Pengin, but again, putting the gun in Pengin's mouth was just terrible.

I don't really care that Togame got shot, lol. Sorry not sorry. I just never came around to liking her.

But I hope to finally understand this changing the history thing, and returning history to the way it was. I wonder if it'd be easy to destroy the blades? If they were to return history in the way I'm thinking they mean. Also what is Hitei's role in the end game?
Jun 20, 2016 2:54 PM

Sep 2015
The Maniwani are really something. They're posed as a sympathetic group being that they all had care for their comrades and value to their lives. Seeing the Insect Squad die was sad but Pengin's was much more unforgivable. He was a young one who didn't even know the most obvious flaw to his Ninpou. Hah... so the Maniwa are all dead now. Rest in peace, great ninjas.

One sword left with Emonzaemon and Hitei. Togame's most likely dead. I'd like to imagine that Shichika gets a power-up being part of the "good" guys and all but the Maniwa weren't bad guys and they were all slaughtered so :/

Oh and Hitei can go die in hell fire.
Jul 7, 2016 10:45 AM

Jan 2016
Man when Emonzaemon put the gun in Pengin's mouth i looked away. He did not deserve to die, especially like that

That was a great reaction from Shichika, from the first episode I could not think he would react like that. That scream at the end was powerful

Fuck your guns man, we're at feudal Japan type setting, this ain't fair
Aug 16, 2016 11:43 AM

Aug 2014
I'll never forget this episode.

Togame = love
Sep 9, 2016 2:09 PM

Mar 2015
Now all 12 Maniwani are dead, and Togame's life is in danger..

Cracking finale this is building up towards.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 12, 2016 1:07 AM

Jan 2010

Dat cliffhanger doe

But yeah, uh, I'm not sure what to say. It's been 11 months since I started on Katanagatari. I've seen it begin at the end of winter, just progressing into spring. Now I'm at the end of autumn, as it slowly changes back to winter. Loose ends are being tied up, final reveals are being shown, and the worst thing I could predict happening right before a supposed painful cliffhanger actually happened: someone getting "killed" with the episode ending at that very moment. I can only imagine what it must have felt watching this back when it was airing. That long month wait to learn what happens immediately after, it must have been painful.

Oh wait, that's what I'm doing right now. Huh. At this point, I can't say I'm exactly surprised, but I have to wonder how the hell this anime is planning on closing itself out, especially since it ended in such a way that a month's time passing would denote some form of after story to this event.
Jan 15, 2017 3:17 AM

Mar 2016
did not see that coming
Feb 2, 2017 10:31 PM

Feb 2016
As usual another anticlimatic fight.

I don't understand, they take the time to flesh out these awesome swords and it mostly ends with some quick jabs to end it.

I don't mind most of the dialogue. I like the dialogue. Though personally, I would cut out most of the pretentious self introductions and what not.

I never expected the ultimate killing sword to be twin guns... It takes some humility I guess over the usual anime super power katana that cuts through a hail of bullets.

We see from the preview that the bullets can be dodged. Though personally if I had to choose an ability the twin guns would be auto homing (hence why twin guns and shot without careful consideration of aim) and either stops time or changes the perception of time in the direction the bullet is shot.

It was obvious that she would be killed and by the twin guns...Whether she actually dies, well, I'm guessing she dies. Also why Hitei princess loathed dispatching her enemy in such a borish straightforward manner.
Cloud_IllusionFeb 2, 2017 10:34 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 16, 2017 4:58 PM

May 2015
Nooooo!!!!!!! PENGIN!!!

DIDN'T CARE FOR TOGAME. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 16, 2017 12:44 AM

Aug 2014
Emonzaemon is one brutal and merciless guy...Togame got shot too and now Shikichi is going berserk. Goddamn the preview for the final episode is dope as hell #HYPE
Apr 21, 2017 4:56 PM

Oct 2013
Well shit, right when I started to think everything was going well that happens.

May 20, 2017 5:24 AM
Jul 2016
One thing really bothered me in this episode and it's how Shichika was animated. It looked really bad compared to other episodes.
Aug 15, 2017 1:38 PM

Sep 2015
NOOOOOOOOPE. NOPE. NOPE. Do not want. If that's where you were going you can have your series back. GOD DAMN. I knew it was going to end some kind of way like this. But this is too much! This feels like a bad ending in a video game! And that's just the last five minutes.

The rest of the episode was pretty damn awesome. Maniwa Pengi's execution was fucking brutal. And given how much they kept talking about the end of their journey. And plans for the future. I had a sense of foreboding the whole time. But the showdown with Houou was awesome. And was a worthy ending to the extremely meaty Maniwa subplot. Part of me wonders if that was really the spirit of Shikizaki Kiki. Or just Houou gone insane as Togame speculates. But either way one of the most exciting fights of the series. Hell that and Emonzaemon vs Houou were both incredible. I got chills at the "THAT was a big mistake" title card.

But everything good. Hell everything great in this episode is just pushed to the back of my mind. When the main heroine gets gut shot by a proto pistol in the last thirty seconds of the episode. She can't die. She's been through so much. They've been through so much! This is horrible what's Shichika going to do without her?! There's a possibility they're misleading us here. In the next episode this will be a dream. Or Shichika will miraculously save her. But I don't see it. Nisioisin doesn't care about cheap cliffhangers like that. And there was too much positive happy future talk that now seems bitterly sad in this episode. I think the journey's finally over. And one of the last things Shichika said to her was her hair wasn't long enough to play with anymore. Makes you want to cry. The real question now is. How's Shichika going to react after this?
Nov 30, 2017 4:49 PM

Jan 2014
What the hell just happened?...

Amazing episode
Jan 13, 2018 8:12 AM

Jun 2015
the end completely shocked me.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 2, 2018 5:16 PM

Aug 2007
Penguins death was p horrible.
I've got a bad feeling about Togame's fate as well...

Aug 11, 2018 11:05 PM

May 2016
With a flashback, Shikizaki Kiki made his appearance along with the eventual founder of his final masterpiece, the Kyotouryuu fighting style. The legendary swordsmith also based his otherworldly creations on his visions of future technology to the point where he can implant a transcript of his soul within one of the blades.

The moment Houou unsheathed the blade by accident, he was no longer of this world because that's how the real poison of the Deviant Blades work. Pengin being the second-most feared Maniwani was also deceptive but he certainly didn't deserve to die such a death by the hands of Emonzaemon. After one cast of his ultimate move, Shikizaki Houou went down just like any other enemy, giving less than a fight than Sabi Hakuhei in the end.

As they reach their final destination and planned out their dreams after the journey, Emonzaemon arrives, makes a big reveal about Togame being a lost princess, and does the most horrible thing possible in these circumstances. Doing such a thing would envelop Shichika in wrath, making him the ultimate killing blade as Shikizaki saw fit. Togame...

Aug 15, 2018 12:52 AM

Apr 2016
R.I.P. Penguin LOL!

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
π = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513
Oct 6, 2018 10:41 PM

Dec 2016
I AM NOT READY FOR THIS FINAL EPISODE

FUCK
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 12, 2019 9:35 PM
Dec 2015
Rip pengin and togame :(
Sep 1, 2019 4:56 AM

Nov 2016
Poor Pengin. Now I think he should've died already last episode, instead of suffering an even crueler fate.

And wow, they amped me up for the finale with he drama. The thing is, when it comes to this series I'm not even sure if Togame is safe from not dying in order to keep a happy ending.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 1:27 AM

May 2018
I feel bad for Maniwa Pengin here, no matter how you look at him he is weak in front of Emonzaemon. Maniwa Houhou at the same time or Shikizaki Kiki revealed how the sword was made, it was confusing but I do understand it, don't like how the fight ended so quickly... I'm excited to see how the last episode will play, Shichika vs Emonzaemon. Also, Maniwa has been wiped out.

Dec 11, 2019 6:43 PM

Aug 2017
To-togame is dead!! I think that I'm not ready for the final episode too.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 22, 2020 1:13 PM
Feb 2019
💔 pensé que por verla tanto tiempo después de su estreno y ya sabiendo lo de togame sería menos importante pero no fue el caso 😢
Jun 5, 2020 7:16 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
OH NO WTF WAS THAT END, no really I hope so much that Togame isn't really dead
Sep 5, 2020 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
I’m so confused loooool... what is that reveal about Togane being a princess? What is this stuff about history being altered, and trying to reverse it?? How do you return history to its original state? And what relation did emonzaemon have to houou?

T.T I also wasn’t super impressed by the soothsayer reveal, since everyone’s fighting powers seem to defy physics anyway I don’t really see the need to explain how the deviant blades work... it seemed to fit in within the realm of possibility of the universe, I feel like they didn’t make it clear enough that the swords were that technically advanced

Also rip pengin the cutie and possibly Togane, she had death flags all around her this episode in hindsight
Sep 27, 2020 9:57 PM

Sep 2018
I hateeeeeeeee it! The only Maniwani I like (they're all weak!) is Pengin :(
It's too cruel! It's like killing a baby :(

Shichika easily defeated Shikizaki Kiki, the fight is disappointing.. I thought he's the final boss.. and also Emonzaemon killed Togame.. ahhh!~ I'm very very disappointed!
Dec 6, 2020 8:54 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Well....darn! That went badly in a hurry. My beloved Maniwani are all gone (RIP to my fave: The Insect Squad), Togame is fading fast and our Sword is about to go full goose bozo. Great buildup for the final episode and since I am binge watching....I have the luck to just go click the next episode. Cheerio!
Dec 23, 2020 2:32 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I didn't expect this. I hope Togame makes it.

Beautifully shot last scene too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 3, 2021 5:51 AM

Dec 2018
they killed pengin
dropped
0/10
Dec 8, 2021 12:28 PM

Jun 2020
The ending of this episode was a shocker!

Feb 27, 2022 6:29 PM

Jul 2020
Damn, that death for Pengin was EXTREMELY brutal. What makes it even more sad is the fact that Emonzaemon talked down on Pengin for not wanting to die.

Also, I was already spoiled about Togame's death before I even got to this point, but the ending for this episode was still really surprising for me

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Jun 1, 2022 5:13 AM

Nov 2020
OH SHIT OH FUCK UHH
Aug 24, 2022 2:44 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Whoa brutal ending, especially for those who watched this while it was airing and had to wait one month for the next episode lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.