Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2008 5:16 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I can see a rift is forming between Sieg and Reinhard. Sieg is starting to remind me of Yang. A good battlefield commander, but with pacifist tendencies. Reinhard on the other hand looks to be building up some ruthlessness.

Once again Yang faces tough opponents on one side and inept leadership on his side FTL. Admiral Lobos just threw away millions of lives with his last stand strategy. That's not going to go well back home.

I love the music they chose for the battles in this episode.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 27, 2008 10:00 AM
Jun 2007
Reading some of your other posts on LotGH, I'll just say you're fairly good at predicting things.

Music gets better as the series goes imo. I didn't really like it at first.

May 27, 2008 2:21 PM

Apr 2007
I hope I'm not too good. I like being surprised by good unexpected events. Some things are just blatant foreshadowing through like ep. 5(?) with Annerose's spiel out of nowhere about her brother possibly losing his way.

EDIT: Double checked, it was ep. 5 with Annerose.
tainteddonutMay 27, 2008 2:30 PM

Jun 11, 2008 2:10 AM

Apr 2008
It's cool to see the technolgy they have. Definitely seeing some faults in Reinhard this episode. As Annerose said, he is dependant, this time on Oberstein though. Which is a waste. They would be fairing much better if Oberstein was commanding Bittenfold's fleet. And, uhh, wow that's a nice red ship you have there, Kircheis.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jul 21, 2008 12:59 AM

Jun 2008
What a nice episode. I'm guessing this is the second season, as the animation has improved.
Jul 22, 2008 2:00 PM

Apr 2007
Actually, you're still on the first season. You'll know you hit the second when the OP and ED change.

Aug 8, 2008 1:18 PM

Sep 2007
Kind of neat that we got to see some individual dogfights this episode, even if it was impossible to tell what was happening in them.

As expected, Alliance fails because they put an old guy in charge. The military should have a law against aging past 30.
Jan 16, 2009 6:22 AM

Jan 2008
This is more star wars than Star Wars ever was or will be.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 22, 2009 10:25 PM
Mar 2009
Anyone know the name of the piece of music that plays in the beginning?
Jul 23, 2009 3:30 AM

Jul 2009
vvvpqsw said:

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" - 4th movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlci-kCEaKE

LOGH made me realize how awesome Dvorak was. You'll hear his 9th Symphony in many points during the series.
Jul 23, 2009 8:39 AM
Mar 2009
MelloRed said:
vvvpqsw said:

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" - 4th movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlci-kCEaKE

LOGH made me realize how awesome Dvorak was. You'll hear his 9th Symphony in many points during the series.
Thanks!

I know very little of classical music. Maybe LOGH is the opportunity to change that.
vvvpqswAug 24, 2009 5:47 PM
Jul 28, 2009 2:57 AM

Jun 2009
This battle played out really well when compared to the ones where Yang wasn't in command. It's like an intergalactic chess game, and Siegfried seems to be a capable opponent.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 5, 2009 3:12 PM

Jan 2009
I'm glad to see that Siegfried has a ship of his own, although I had a feeling what color it would have been. Glad to see there's more like Yang out there, Siegfried being one of them. The less casualties the better is preferable to them. Also, thanks MelloRed for finding that piece used during the episode.
Sep 17, 2009 10:41 AM

Nov 2008
Ah ah, nice chapter, the space battle were really breathtaking with the classical music in background.
I didn't get everything and I'm not sure if there's much more too understand, but, oh well, I really enjoyed it anyway.

By the way, the captain (or lieutenant, or wathever he is) who commited suicid, only fleed the battle by commiting this act and leaving his crew all alone.
His crew should have been angry instead of praising him.
Nov 24, 2009 1:03 PM

May 2009
That was awesome. The soundtrack is amazing and fits really well.
There was so many battles going on and many different admirals that I was confused at first, but that didn't really matter since so many fleets got destroyed. And I understood most of it. I was surprised that one of the Alliance admirals committed suicide like that, what a cowardly way to go. If he's going to die anyways, he could at least try to fight.

As I expected, the Alliance was pretty much slaughtered.
Jun 16, 2010 4:53 PM

Jul 2008
tainteddonut said:
I can see a rift is forming between Sieg and Reinhard. Sieg is starting to remind me of Yang. A good battlefield commander, but with pacifist tendencies. Reinhard on the other hand looks to be building up some ruthlessness.
I was having the same thoughts. When Reinhard denied help to that one requester I was pretty pleased. It sucks, but if he had sent anyone they would have died, too. I think Yang or even Sieg would have tried to send help, which isn't always the right decision. Reinhard just has to make sure his ruthlessness pays off.

BEGINNER
Jul 18, 2010 8:40 PM
Jun 2010
Great episode, nice to see some starcraft-like action and 1-on-1 fights. Things went to fast so I had to re-watch some parts (fleet number 13 destroying the group that was sending the valkyries and the anti-space mine trick) and some others I said to myself "fuck it, it's not that important".

So far Empire >>>>>> Alliance.

Yang seriously needs to have the same rank as Reinhard because losing ten thousands of solider because of some old random Admiral is just... stupid.

Aug 24, 2010 2:47 PM

Jan 2010
Beatnik said:

huh?they're very different shows...you're just being a fanboy

it was a better fight than the first :p...though i didn't get why would they shoot the star lol

also,if this was real life the ships would have melted
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Aug 28, 2010 12:05 AM

Apr 2009
"The goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces!" LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 28, 2010 6:51 AM

May 2009
clannad4ever said:
Beatnik said:

huh?they're very different shows...you're just being a fanboy

it was a better fight than the first :p...though i didn't get why would they shoot the star lol

also,if this was real life the ships would have melted

exactly why I lol'd when he said it XD

...rNr...
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Sep 7, 2010 3:17 PM

Jan 2008
Rebels fighting an empire across a galaxy is a genre practically invented by Star Wars, so when this anime comes along decades later, takes the genre, bends it over and rams some awesome-sauce into it, I have to call it like I see it. Even if you guys don't.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 26, 2010 8:51 AM

Feb 2010
Beatnik said:
Rebels fighting an empire across a galaxy is a genre practically invented by Star Wars, so when this anime comes along decades later, takes the genre, bends it over and rams some awesome-sauce into it, I have to call it like I see it. Even if you guys don't.

Didn't another anime did something similar, Code Geass, Death Note.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2010 6:03 PM

May 2010
I can honestly say classical music only works for this Anime.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 3, 2011 2:13 PM
Jul 2010
What an epic battle. The Alliance seems to have a shortage of capable officers. The only good one besides Yang in that whole battle was the guy who sacrificed his flagship to let half his fleet escape, and even that was more good leadership than skill.
Mar 30, 2011 10:00 PM

Feb 2010
Oh wow, unexpectedly intense battle.
Jul 31, 2011 6:19 PM

Aug 2010
MelbShaw said:
Beatnik said:

You just went full retard.
Aug 1, 2011 7:49 PM
Jun 2011
Lots of Action. I feel bad for Yang with all the wankers on his side, but his 13th Fleet looks to be holding up well. Like others have said Reinhard is developing into something ruthless.
Aug 24, 2011 10:02 PM
Jul 2010
This battle was a nice testing ground for Reinhard's admiralty. They each set a performance standard, and battle style, that defines them for the rest of the series.

In the first half...
Reuenthal made the legendary Bucock strategically retreat.
Kircheis forced a quiet surrender, then successfully ambushed Yang.
Kempf was utterly outplayed by Yang.
Bittenfield aggressively beat a tenacious Ulanfu.
Mittermeyer raped his opponent with amazing fleet movements.
Mecklinger, Wahlen, and Lutz all received little attention, but appeared to do well enough.

In the second half, at Amlitzer...
Mittermeyer held up decently against Yang
Bittenfield aggressively beat a second admiral, but overstretched himself against Yang.
Kircheis busted through a mine field to surround Yang, ending the battle.

random thing but the music in this episode was fucking great.
Oct 11, 2011 12:29 PM

Mar 2011
Lobos screwed everything up with his 'fight to the death' strategy. Should have tried to retreat...would have saved many lives.
Dec 12, 2011 5:17 PM

Sep 2009
Holy shit animation jump.
._.
Apr 13, 2012 10:18 PM

Feb 2012
Dvorak and half of the first season's animation budget make for a pretty good episode.
May 24, 2012 10:00 PM

Jun 2009
Fucking EPIC battle scene. Like Luthimal mentioned, it was cool how this episode established the members of Reinhard's admiralty who will be very important going forward.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 9, 2012 1:40 PM

Jul 2010
Bittenfeld "Forward! Forward! The goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your face!"
Mar 21, 2013 3:27 AM

May 2010
As soon as Dvorak's music started I knew this was going to be awesome. However I wasn't expecting it ti be this awesome.

I like Reinhard's new attitude and I suppose that even Sieg will suffer from this at some point. Or maybe he's there just to balance his friend, like Yin and Yang. Time will tell.

I feel bad for Yang, always having to obey stupid orders. This time Reinhard had the upper hand because he was free to act as he liked.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jul 8, 2013 8:58 PM

May 2011
Now this... is what I expected from this series. Freaking Epic!

Looking forward to the aftermath!

5/5
Jul 23, 2013 12:21 AM

Jun 2013
This is star wars! Epic BGM. Sucks that the most useless commander -in- charge, is the one that sits in the safe spot, yeah talking about that old fatass that went for a afternoon nap lol, he can't pay for the lives of the brave fleet of soldiers even if he died 10 times.

I hope Yang can hang on. He's the only one with success.
Sep 11, 2013 11:01 PM

Nov 2009
Holy heck they got messed up there. I wonder what is going to become of the alliance if Yang gets taken in by the empire. Wonder if that fortress can hold at all. Anyways interesting episode although the monitors showing the enemy formation like that is starting to bother me . . .
Dec 1, 2013 8:28 PM

Feb 2013
Finally, a battle worth watching. Although it was a bit chaotic.
Feb 10, 2014 5:01 AM

Sep 2008
That battle went just as well as was expected for Alliance. I'm wondering what kind of BS politicans are pulling in following episode(s) to turn that to "victory".
Jun 1, 2014 6:12 PM

Sep 2012
tofei said:

I laughed at that too. So random.

Great episode. I swear this is the first anime I've seen where I want both sides to win. Unfortunately that's impossible. At least Yang managed to put up a decent fight.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Jun 2, 2014 2:01 PM

Sep 2011
pretty good episode, didnt love it but im looking forword to whats to come

Fujaku said:
tofei said:

Great episode. I swear this is the first anime I've seen where I want both sides to win. Unfortunately that's impossible. At least Yang managed to put up a decent fight.
I want both sides to lose, not yang and reinhard but the corrupt governments that rule them. Of course thats sadly how real governments are so i doubt the show will give us the pleasure of seeing both be toppled. If i had to pick i prefer the alliance to win at the moment.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 3, 2014 6:59 PM

Nov 2013
MelbShaw said:
Beatnik said:

wat
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 10, 2014 3:27 PM

Jul 2012
I'm gonna be honest, I thought it was boring but the New World Symphony made up for it.

Confucius said:
I can honestly say classical music only works for this Anime.

It works in plenty of anime. It works well here especially, that's all.
Sep 25, 2014 7:07 AM

Dec 2013
Fujaku said:
tofei said:

Lol yahp that was the best quote ever. I will forever remember it.

Little disappointed in Reinhard's attitude. It would be nice if he could be a little more benevolent...but on the other hand hes still bad ass!!!

Really liking Siegfred!!!
Oct 29, 2014 9:41 PM

Mar 2012
Epic, just freaking awesome :D

Homolust said:
MelbShaw said:

You just went full retard.

lol
Nov 13, 2014 10:05 PM

Jun 2014
How the hell am i supposed to remember all these names and titles and whos on which side ffs too many people to keep track of in this show
Nov 13, 2014 10:21 PM

Jan 2013
Qans said:
How the hell am i supposed to remember all these names and titles and whos on which side ffs too many people to keep track of in this show

Keep on watching.
At the end, those very names will be engraved in your heart forever.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 13, 2014 11:04 PM

Jun 2014
skyzblue said:
Qans said:

Keep on watching.
At the end, those very names will be engraved in your heart forever.

I hope so, if my heart has room for 40ish names
Feb 4, 2015 11:18 AM

May 2012
Impressive episode, really love the development that's going on here! Looking forward to see what's next.
Feb 7, 2015 12:55 PM

Aug 2014
Oh my god....... This episode......... I have no words to describe how great this episode was. That space battle was sooo well executed, every little bit of strategy was perfect. Most amazing battle I've seen in an anime for a while. Everything thing about it was just great, the soundtracks were perfect, the characters reacted and acted just as they should have. This series is like Star Wars but way better. I like that Seig is getting more of his own important role in the battle field. He used to just sit with Reindhart but now both of them are moving up very quickly. The other commanders were also very good on both sides this time as opposed to the incompetent ones earlier in the series. Overall amazing episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

604 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 30, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 89 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

160 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 2, 2008

431 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

140 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

134 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 4:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.