Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 24, 2019 1:30 PM

Nov 2016
Really good start, love Revy already :D

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2019 2:11 PM
Jan 2019
I'm like this episode but I felt a bit of a rush at the beginning of the story
Feb 2, 2019 6:55 AM

Oct 2013
much shooting pew pew pew bang bang

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 20, 2019 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
Wow I haven't watched this since 2013! Great first episode, Revy is as badass as I remember.
May 17, 2019 8:20 PM
Apr 2016
Wow. Surprisingly this was really good! I like how a completely random person gets dragged into this mess, well, he was treated horribly before, so I hope his grudge becomes something great. Good first episode.
Jun 1, 2019 9:58 PM

Dec 2013
What an action packed episode! Poor Rock got dragged into this. Wonder what will happen next

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 27, 2019 1:34 PM

Aug 2015
Great first episode.
like many have said before I also think Revy is badass and hot af!
watching the dub so I can't help but think of light every time Rock opens his mouth, I really love Dutch too!
Aug 27, 2019 4:08 AM

Mar 2019
Enjoying this series so far but the ED tune just feels out of place every time the episode ends.
Aug 30, 2019 7:06 AM

May 2016
Man that OP is so sick. And that ED transition so smooth. Loving the characterisation and colorful cast, as well as the well-produced action. Still gotta be sold on Revy, but I think her dynamic with Okajima is gonna be really great. Exciting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2019 4:13 PM

Nov 2017
Sweet first episode. Revy really is a loose cannon from the getgo lol
Dec 22, 2019 9:20 PM
Dec 2019
Already I'm starting to see that Rock isn't all that meets the eye, and might have a bit of a devious streak in him. His mounting frustration with his circumstances is wonderful to watch, I have to hand it to Brad Swaile for acting the moment at the end of the episode so well.
Dec 26, 2019 10:56 AM
Nov 2013
It was ok... I hope it will be better.
Jun 3, 2020 4:58 PM
Feb 2016
Fast paced action, humor, a group of mercenaries, a foul mouthed girl, international intrigue, and an innocent guy trapped in all this… I love it.
This was a better first episode than I've seen in the whole corona-infested Spring 2020 season.
Aug 13, 2020 9:25 AM
Jul 2020
Should have given us more time to get to know rouk otherwise pretty decent episode
Nov 25, 2020 10:43 AM
Jan 2018
Still undecided if I'm going to rewatch this sub or dubbed
Dec 18, 2020 5:58 PM
Oct 2017
Wow, okay I've never heard of this show before (surprisingly) it was an explosive first episode.

It had everything, really colorful characters, comedy, action, strong female co-lead. Fun dynamic and a bunch of government craziness that no one really cares about in our main cast (reminds me of one piece for sure). Big tough, but funny and a softie probably, Dutch. Hardass, vulgar, do first think later, gunslinging, Revy. The funny, (probably weaker of the group, but also can hold his own) brain, Benny. And normal, businessman, Okajima. Also Dutch gave him the nickname Rock that's cute.

From what some people are saying on here I don't believe it was rushed at all, I think the setup with showing his mundane life without spending too much time on it was great, we got the jist. The pacing of the whole episode was smooth to me, great transitions from one scene to the next.
I liked the contrast from the 'winter city' to the 'south china sea' scenes back to back.

The OP was great, the ending was unexpected, but the transition was smooth so I didn't hate it. Just a different vibe all of the sudden.

Seems like Revy is very rash and her decisions seem very pirate like for sure. Who hurt you Revy? lol
I love her attitude tho, even tho it seems it could go a little overboard I'm into it. Her shooting at Rock just barley missing him was pretty reckless, I'm assuming she's a great gunslinger though and did that all on purpose. Also not thinking the ransom situation through very well, but seems to me Benny cracked it and got the number pretty quickly. So that shows you right there great crew dynamic, they each have their strengths and weaknesses, team work! Also how lenient they are letting him come drink with them if he wants was cute and shows that they're not *really* baddies. Which Dutch does speak on to Rock at one point. They're just doing there job to get food on the table.

We get info right off the bat of the relationship (somewhat) between Revy & Benny, He was a college student in Florida and he got into a mess with FBI & the Mafia, dang I wonder what that was! & then Revy saved him somehow, and presumably they're 'on the run'. So pirates in every sense of the word seems like.

The Bar scene was amazing, very funny with the drink off and then the massacre ending. Seems like they're regulars and this has happened before? I loved when Rock noticed Revy was smiling while shooting. Totally reminds me of Zoro for sure, especially with her "two-hand style" lol. Very akin to the three-sword style. (She even has a gun in her mouth at the end of the ED)

I loved the pin-ups by Dutch's seat in the ship.

And like someone said above about seeing how crappy Rock's life was before (albiet safer) and how they're treating him now is brutal, he's alive after everything that just happened to him, and his company "kills" him so to speak. I can only wonder about his family. That being said I can't wait to see the pirate/badass he transforms into hanging with these guys :D We get a sneak peak of it in the OP.

I also thought something weird was going to happen where the rifle hit the helicopter when he threw it as well. haha.

Also, I'm not into (yet) but I'm assuming Revy & Rock are a ship.

Another thing I didn't like, which someone else mentioned as well, the captain in the helicopter shooting at them, his whole obvious chance to have destroyed them right then and there. They foreshadowed it with him talking about how they've only killed old tired men and little kids and obviously he wants to have fun, but very cliche baddie.

I will be watching the next episode that's for sure!

dagreatcatsby_Dec 19, 2020 2:09 PM
Dec 28, 2020 2:52 PM

Jul 2017
Rewatching Black Lagoon (again) and this start is still a damn good one, as shit immediately just kicks off for Rokuro's life, as he's held hostage by the Lagoon Company for ransom after obtaining a confidential disc for their client and his peaceful mediocre life of pandering to other employees above him in the business world comes crashing down instantly. Hell, Rokuro's own company even wrote him off as legally dead and abandons him with the Lagoon Company and hires mercenaries to take all of them down essentially.

Rock's learning the hard ways of life and while he's shit scared, he also definitely seems like the kind of person who can show some balls once pushed over the line when incredibly frustrated like when he had the drink off with Revy at the Yellowflag bar, or when he threw a gun to the ocean out of frustration with a pissed off attitude after his company threw him under the bus and he's forced to risk his life as mercenaries come to take the Lagoon Company down.

Revy's always been one of my favorite anime characters (for a couple of years she was even my favorite overall), and boy did she kick some ass already when it comes to an introduction. The Lagoon Company are an unforgiving company who aren't good guys by any means of the imagination, but boy are they awesome to watch already. The dub does help a lot since it makes their interactions feel a lot more badass to watch and the cussing only adds a lot imo.

Animation from Madhouse looks really good too with solid art and great designs overall for characters and weapons too. Overall, it's a great start that oozes a ton of hype, intensity and bloodlust in spades and the dub only enhances the experience by tenfold already.
Mar 16, 2021 12:39 PM

Feb 2020
Great first episode. Good cast of characters. I see what the Revy hype is all about. Nice OST and great, memorable OP as well.
Apr 11, 2021 10:56 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I'd prefer it revy didn't fill me full of bullet holes but I'd let her step on me all day

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 10, 2021 11:42 AM
Aug 2020
Woa she is hot. Also I like her attitude, she looks kinda dynamic
justwinkleAug 10, 2021 11:46 AM
Aug 31, 2021 12:48 PM

Jun 2009
I wanted to like it more but I felt like it was a bit hard to follow. I’ll watch some more to see if it gets better.
Nov 5, 2021 7:25 AM

Mar 2018
Do I ear a little Adagio for strings at the end? Platoon reference?
Jul 15, 2022 9:02 PM

Apr 2017
"Dutch" and "Bennet" being references to Predator and Commando is a nice touch.
Sep 19, 2022 7:50 AM
Aug 2020
Meeting Black Lagoon Company. And Rookie Rock.
Sep 20, 2022 10:54 AM
Jul 2019
The characters and the whole situation wasn't believable. The main cast is too nice and childish to be who they're supposed to be.

It feels like the writers only wrote the premise due to superficial reasons. Instead of going all in with the story with characters acting like poeple with their background and experience would, they wrote a shallow, semi-edgy show for early teenagers.

It has good elements in it, but that's really it. Could have been actually great work had they taken their product more seriously.
Nov 16, 2022 10:18 PM
Jul 2021
GOOD ANIME LOTS OF FIGHITNG MR JAPANESE HOPE HE GETS OUT
Jan 7, 2023 10:52 AM

Jan 2023
great character introductions, plot setup and overall vibe. very strong start
𝕿𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖓𝖔 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖊𝖓𝖙... 
                                                                   - 𝕬𝖕𝖚𝖘 𝕸𝖆𝖏𝖔𝖗
Jan 23, 2023 2:33 AM

Nov 2021
welp Revy is quite the baddie 
Jan 23, 2023 6:26 PM
Dec 2009
just for the action scenes of this first episode I already love this anime.
Apr 22, 2023 12:01 PM
Mar 2023
A near perfect introduction to the story! Cant wait to finish this show! Still cant believe that this is 12 episodes long!
May 26, 2023 1:06 PM

Mar 2022
God I've heard so many things about Black Lagoon. I know the opening and I know the ending but I've ultimately never seen an episode until now and my god there's a lot happening in that first episode. It does a really good job establishing the cast, music is really good, it's definitely got Cowboy Bebop vibes if it were to be a lot edgier and had more violence and swearing in it. I'm really liking the dynamic between Rock and the Black Lagoon crew he's essentially a hostage, he's thrown into this violent and rough world and the crew, well at least Revvy doesn't like him and it is pretty stressful for him. So in a way I really want to see more of what happens to him. It's a really good first episode, not much say other than it's really good.
Aug 9, 2023 10:05 AM

Jul 2022
I don’t understand some dialogues but this reminds me of Cowboy Bebop vibes
Aug 14, 2023 10:08 AM

Nov 2021
Let me guess, dude threw that gun towards that helicopter and then due to plot armor, gun somehow got high in the air and hit the rotor blades of the helicopter and then BOOM!!!

Sep 8, 2023 9:00 PM
Sep 2023
Revy is sooooo hot mmmm pls kiss me
Oct 19, 2023 4:34 AM

Oct 2018
Ok let's see what all the hype is about. So far a pretty ok start. Didn't expect it to start with a 2 parter.
Oct 21, 2023 10:04 PM
Aug 2018
Really that's the end of the episode? Okay. I'll watch another though fuck it idc
Oct 24, 2023 1:18 AM

Jun 2020
Watching in Dub and this episode was fun as hell. Super funny, great action, and some cool camera shots. I already like Revy and Dutch a lot.
Nov 13, 2023 9:38 AM
Apr 2022
i'm so glad i found this show, the title song goes hardd
Nov 29, 2023 1:19 AM

Oct 2020
I heard the English dub was among the more memorable so I'm giving this a try
I might've missed something but it seems like they glossed over the series of events that actually led to our main guy getting ahold of the disk and being on the boat..
Jan 23, 5:50 PM

Sep 2013
After being on my plan to watch for years I'm finally starting this show and I'm excited! Great first episode.
Feb 19, 7:25 PM

Jul 2021
Thats what i call a first episode. It gets you hooked right from the get go.

The action is great with all the bullets flying and the animation is also pretty solid along with a nice cast of characters. we also already have a main villain after are group. Its already so interesting.

also Revy is one hell of a women, and i need her in my life.

she's so beautiful

Apr 14, 12:07 AM

Jul 2011
Rewatching this one since it's been a long long time. Love how it jumps straight into the action and we get to see our characters fight right away. Edgy Remy is great! I miss 2000s anime like this.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

seita - Aug 23, 2008

132 by Scarface_1 »»
Apr 16, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slashed - Feb 27, 2008

164 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:30 AM

» Sub or dub? ( 1 2 )

Headpatts - Oct 17, 2022

50 by Kirino »»
Mar 2, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OmegaRed - Dec 16, 2008

81 by bubba460z »»
Feb 20, 3:05 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

seita - Aug 23, 2008

119 by bubba460z »»
Feb 20, 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.