Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2014 6:30 PM

Mar 2014
I still don't understand the whole Real-2 being Monad thing... but otherwise, this episode answered all of the remaining questions I had about the series. It had a very nice ending to it, as well.

Overall, the series had a few rough episodes here and there, but even the bad episodes weren't all that bad... and the good episodes managed to be really good.
I give it either a 7 or 8 overall.
::End of Transmission::

May 8, 2014 12:27 AM
May 2014
Awesome series as always, I think I've just rewatched this for the 3rd time.

souledge94 said:

well they kinda did. They went to get vincent but insted of them ending flying off together vincent left off with a bad ass line.Witch im sure after destroying those ships behind him he went with re-l and pino to help the new world.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't kill the "original" humans. Vincent isn't the killing type, and he'll probably help reform the world with them. But yeah, awesome ending.
May 10, 2014 9:34 PM

Feb 2010
The middle act slows down the story and episode 15 is complete bullshit, but otherwise it's everything a thought-provoking show needs to be. Characters are compelling enough to make the philosophies and story mysteries feel important instead of being tacked on, which was my biggest fear for this show.

Did I also mention it completely shits on Ghost in the Shell?
May 15, 2014 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
I understand the story...for the most part. Still there were stuff I didn't get. Like how did Ergo Proxy and Proxy One split? What happened in the past? How did Daedalus produce a Monad clone? Why do proxies have to fight each other when they meet?

Lots of question left unanswered but still, I enjoyed it. It made my head hurt, got me confused and some episodes were a bit slow too. I really love the main three characters though. Vincent's evolution from a wimpy looking guy to one of the most badass MCs, Re-l captivated me every time she's on-screen and Pino is a bundle of pure bliss. Great series.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 19, 2014 3:15 PM

Apr 2009
It might be because it was so long between the 1st and 2nd half of the series when I watched it, but I'm still not 100% on everything. The ending ep did clear a few things up, and the animation, sound design and atmosphere were top notch, but it still didn't make some things clear.

Still, for its merits, I'll give it a low 8. But I can't agree with:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
The middle act slows down the story and episode 15 is complete bullshit, but otherwise it's everything a thought-provoking show needs to be. Characters are compelling enough to make the philosophies and story mysteries feel important instead of being tacked on, which was my biggest fear for this show.

I found GitS to be more entertaining, with just as much philosophical, thoughtful connotations and excellent sound design and animation.
May 22, 2014 3:03 PM

Oct 2013
8/10 from me for this great anime,really loved it.

Jun 1, 2014 4:59 PM

Oct 2013
Just finished Ergo Proxy today.

i'll also give it an 8 out of 10. It could have been a 9 or 10, but for episode 15 and one or two others to a lesser extent that seemed like sub-par throwaway EPs.

Animation is great. I like the consistently dark tone throughout and the character and vehicle designs.
The three main characters were especially well-done. Pino rules.
Jun 2, 2014 10:12 AM

Nov 2007
redtailrav said:
Just finished Ergo Proxy today.

i'll also give it an 8 out of 10. It could have been a 9 or 10, but for episode 15 and one or two others to a lesser extent that seemed like sub-par throwaway EPs.

Animation is great. I like the consistently dark tone throughout and the character and vehicle designs.
The three main characters were especially well-done. Pino rules.

Episode 15 was hardly a throwaway ep, though. MCQ was another proxy using a game show to help Vincent understand his situation better. The Disney episode was similar but that proxy had the opposite intention. I think the game show was a fun way to tell the background of the plot and explain the proxy project and the creators and whatnot. I think it's more entertaining and inventive than talking heads explaining stuff.
DanishJun 2, 2014 10:17 AM
Jun 2, 2014 6:11 PM

Oct 2013
You may have found the episode entertaining, humorous, enlightening, etc etc, but for me, a pathological hater of game shows, I found it almost unendurable to watch. If the entire series was like that I would have given it zero stars. That's how strongly I disliked EP 15. I kept waiting for it to be good.

The reveals in EP 15 could have been introduced in a much better fashion that held to the tone of the previous episodes.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but for me 15 was pretentious and lazy on the part of the writers.
Jun 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Mar 2014
Magnificent anime, awesome ending and all the questions were answered!! daaaamn.. that was an awesome journey with a lot of deep and meaningful scenes, with lots of metaphores and parabolic stories! 5/5 and 10/10
Jul 24, 2014 2:18 AM
Jul 2018
Akito_Kinomoto said:

Although this show has more things to think about than Ghost in the Shell, since it also covers some very similar philosophical questions to GITS, none of rest really pertain to reality - just the show's universe. Just because they both cover some of the same philosophical questions isn't enough to toss GITS aside. I thought Ghost in the Shell did a good, if not a better, job at what it focused on. And, in my personal taste, I enjoyed Ghost in the Shell more aswell.

To what I thought of the show: It seemed to be one of those anime that didn't prioritize you liking it until you reached the end. Shows like that were Mawaru Penguindrum and almost Neon Genesis Evangelion. The show started off interesting, yet continued by progressing extraordinarily slow with very few events taking place. It was somewhat boring for almost two-thirds' of the show because, although there was good character interaction, nothing extraordinary happened. It felt as if the show was covering too much details that it made the interesting content too sparse. Everything felt toned down while the show just made everything feel more complicated and detached as it went on. The ending did clear some things up, and I could probably clear the rest of my confusion up after some hours on the wikis, but parts of the ending seemed almost contrived. There may be some kind-of symbolism or references the show was trying to carry out, but not knowing what it might be comparing itself to makes things just feel odd.

For example, the random appearance of the term for the reason of being (forgot what it was) they kept using felt brash and out of nowhere, and making it a huge part of the plot seemed weird as it felt forged midway. Also, the motives behind Daedalus felt very contrived with simple obsession over Real making him act in all sorts of ways.

The animation was good, and the OP/ED were some of the best I've seen yet. The budget for the show was in the right place, but the pacing of the show is where I felt it was inadequate. It did feel like the show was wanting me to dislike it in those seemingly filler episodes. However, thinking back after seeing the end, at least in the carnival episode I realized interesting things about it and how it may have been more relevant than I thought.

I'd say a 7/10, yet a rewatch may actually be more enjoyable than my first time around.
removed-userJul 24, 2014 2:21 AM
Aug 4, 2014 11:33 PM
Aug 2013
can someone explain what happened in the last episode? everyone keeps saying its an amazing ending and i feel like a jackass for not understanding it exactly.

idk how much of this is right but if someone could confirm/correct if this is the ending or not:
so ergo proxy/vincent stabbed proxy one and all the other proxies were going to die bc they cant be exposed to the sun.

and the dome was destroyed and therefore people could BEGIN to go back to living in the world normally and without the domes? is that all correct? because they said "mankind has returned to a land on the verge of revival". and he talked about survivors so like. they're pretty much gonna rebuild/start over now right? with a better world this time. st like that?

and what was with the whole "now the real battle will begin. for i am ergo proxy, the proxy of death" thing like the last sentence through me off. he said hes the proxy of death and then his eyes lit up like that wasnt to suggest he was gonna like kill off the survivors or st right? (most likely not). but like why bring up that hes the proxy of death thing what does that mean/say about him?
Aug 16, 2014 4:27 AM

Jan 2013
I just finished watching this. What an unusually satisfying ending! Even Daedalus lived up to his mythological name.

toddhaberkorn: Basically, the "Creators" (which were just human astronauts that had escaped from the Earth), had several different plans to repopulate Earth. They created Proxies as their "agents" of sorts, and their purpose was to make the world inhabitable again, pretty much. They gave them the possibility to create humans in case this proved to be too much for them alone. They also made the Proxies vulnerable to sunlight, so that they'd be wiped out when they had fulfilled their mission, or die if they tried to rebel by trying to escape.
The domes were created by the Proxies so that people would be able to live despite the state of the world. However, the Proxies and the WombSys were not the only cards up the Creators' sleeve. The AutoReivs and especially the Cogito Virus were supposed to be a backup plan of sorts, to create a spare population should the humans and Proxies fail. What the Creators didn't expect was what'd happen if all of those things happened at once. As we all know, it turned out to be chaotic.
If you looked closely you'd have noticed that near the end of the episode, Vincent/Ergo started pondering about that whole "real battle" thing immediately after noticing spaceships descending from the sky. He was clearly plotting revenge against the Creators, since they were cold enough to create entire beings for the sole purpose of avoiding responsibility.

These are my dragons. You can help raise them by clicking on them!
Aug 29, 2014 11:11 PM

Jan 2009
What an ending...

Just completed my third time watching Ergo Proxy and finally understand 90% of the story. I originally thought 8 - 9 episodes could be removed and the rest condensed. Now I think it's more like 3 - 4 episodes could be removed.

This is a polarizing show, but for me it's not even a 10/10. It's legendary. Something I will just remember forever.

I'm afraid that I will never experience or see anything like this again. So is life :)
Sep 1, 2014 1:51 AM
Sep 2014
When proxy one gives Ergo the pendant i honestly believe that ergo is going to fulfill what Proxy One wanted which is to kill the creators(the humans coming back to Earth) fpr revenge
Sep 12, 2014 10:39 AM
May 2014
This was awesome. 10/10, or I would say 999/10, since this is my favourite from now on, but i saw a lot. Still i expect a second season, this isn't finished, not the story, not the romance or anything.

xamicks said:
What an ending...

Just completed my third time watching Ergo Proxy and finally understand 90% of the story. I originally thought 8 - 9 episodes could be removed and the rest condensed. Now I think it's more like 3 - 4 episodes could be removed.

This is a polarizing show, but for me it's not even a 10/10. It's legendary. Something I will just remember forever.

I'm afraid that I will never experience or see anything like this again. So is life :)

Same here bro.
Sep 15, 2014 7:29 AM

Sep 2012
just finished this series today, and damn..this series give me a same feeling when i'm watching Eva. But i thought the last episode is kinda..compressed no? But anyway 9/10~
Oct 3, 2014 8:28 AM

Jul 2014
Okay, this is confusing!!! but...I expected the ending to be...darker? Either way it's such an awesome trip for marathoning this anime :'D

Although this is old anime from 8 years ago the graphic is still okay on my eyes, fortunately ;__;
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Oct 16, 2014 10:32 PM
Sep 2014
I ALMOST mistook this ships coming in at the end for some of those Autoreiv patrol droids, and that's why I ALMOST thought the ending was pretty dull. But after I found out that they are the old humans coming back, holy shit!!! I was wondering for a while why everyone on here was saying that it was such a good ending, but after I found out that the old humans were coming back, it completely changed my thoughts about the ending.

Very good show, allbeit very confusing at times (I don't think I have ever rewound so much in my life). Even still, I haven't made the connections with certain things in the plot, or still don't understand. I don't know why everyone dying there at the end and Romdo falling made it any better for the old humans to come back??? And how that was the plan from the start?

That being said, still a fantastic ending (now that I know what the ships were).
9/10
Nov 25, 2014 12:02 PM

Apr 2014
A great series but I felt that it got a bit dull midway and the ending was a bit too fast. Also, the philosophy felt less annoying and out-of-place than in most "deep" anime.
your waifu is shit
Dec 1, 2014 3:03 AM

Jul 2013
Same strange episode and trying to confuse viewers was strange but apart what its good show, and to say it had good ending.
Dec 2, 2014 12:25 PM

Oct 2008
Overall pretty interesting stuff,really gets your mind going with its well crafted themes and metaphors.Appreciate the desire to push the anime genre forward with such psychological distopian sci-fi series such as this one.Some things could have been handled better (mostly minor) and unfortunately it just didn't have that special kind of "spark of brilliance" to really blow me away or completely leave me in awe.
Also not nearly as great a Texhnolyze ,that one really didn't cut any corners in any way shape or form.
amateurDec 2, 2014 12:29 PM
Dec 20, 2014 5:37 PM

Apr 2014
One of the best anime endings I have ever seen. Ergo Proxy shall go down in history as one of the greatest psychological thrillers that Japan has ever produced.

10/1

Jan 2, 2015 7:41 PM

Oct 2013
just finished this show. interesting to say the least.

i too thought some of the middle episodes were dull and the series kind of dragged, also am i the only one who found the art uneven? it seemed like whenever a character was shown from a front view they looked fine, but if they were drawn from the side they looked fucking weird.

the end was awesome for sure though.

8/10 overall. must watch if you like sci-fi/mystery genres.
Jan 3, 2015 7:07 AM

Jul 2009
Piegoose said:
Although this show has more things to think about than Ghost in the Shell, since it also covers some very similar philosophical questions to GITS, none of rest really pertain to reality - just the show's universe. Just because they both cover some of the same philosophical questions isn't enough to toss GITS aside. I thought Ghost in the Shell did a good, if not a better, job at what it focused on. And, in my personal taste, I enjoyed Ghost in the Shell more aswell.

To what I thought of the show: It seemed to be one of those anime that didn't prioritize you liking it until you reached the end. Shows like that were Mawaru Penguindrum and almost Neon Genesis Evangelion. The show started off interesting, yet continued by progressing extraordinarily slow with very few events taking place. It was somewhat boring for almost two-thirds' of the show because, although there was good character interaction, nothing extraordinary happened. It felt as if the show was covering too much details that it made the interesting content too sparse. Everything felt toned down while the show just made everything feel more complicated and detached as it went on. The ending did clear some things up, and I could probably clear the rest of my confusion up after some hours on the wikis, but parts of the ending seemed almost contrived. There may be some kind-of symbolism or references the show was trying to carry out, but not knowing what it might be comparing itself to makes things just feel odd.

For example, the random appearance of the term for the reason of being (forgot what it was) they kept using felt brash and out of nowhere, and making it a huge part of the plot seemed weird as it felt forged midway. Also, the motives behind Daedalus felt very contrived with simple obsession over Real making him act in all sorts of ways.

The animation was good, and the OP/ED were some of the best I've seen yet. The budget for the show was in the right place, but the pacing of the show is where I felt it was inadequate. It did feel like the show was wanting me to dislike it in those seemingly filler episodes. However, thinking back after seeing the end, at least in the carnival episode I realized interesting things about it and how it may have been more relevant than I thought.

I'd say a 7/10, yet a rewatch may actually be more enjoyable than my first time around.
This is what I feel, put into words better than I could have written.
Jan 3, 2015 11:30 AM
Jan 2015
I particularly did not like the finale, in spite of liking the series as a whole (I'd give it 6.5/10, better than nothing).

Many crucial plot points were left unsolved, questions left unanswered, questionable character development, excessively slow paced storytelling and sometimes annoyingly insistent in conveying an image of arthouse/deep/philosophical animation, when in fact it only tries vainly and hard to be such.
Jan 3, 2015 2:28 PM

Dec 2013
This has probably been one of the most confusing series ive seen in a while. Also the only one where i ended up taking a nap between many episodes because it took a lot of focus and it just drained me. I didnt really get anything about the series until episode 22 but it's a lot clearer now.

My only confusion is what are Vincent's motives now? In the last scene he said that he was an "agent of death" and looked as if he was planning to hinder the human race from facing the reality of the world outside the dome. Does this mean that Ergo inside of him is going to Sabotage their effort or what?

I cant really rate this series when i think about it. it's good but boring; clever yet really confusing, unclear yet direct. All I could say is it's unique.
Examining one series under the magnifying glass at a time.
Jan 17, 2015 9:17 AM

Jun 2013
Best ending I've seen in ages. This anime kept me interested the entire time I was watching. Vincent /Ergo Proxy is an interesting character. I'll give this anime a 10/10 for keeping me occupied over the last month. It was a hell of a ride.
RaidenJan 17, 2015 9:52 AM
Jan 17, 2015 10:42 PM

Aug 2013
What the show was trying to accomplish was good, but the ending was confusing as shit.

I feel like the story could have been 100x better had they just kind of laid everything out piece by piece instead of giving us a thousand metaphors to dissect.

Sometimes the flow of the story kind of sucked too. Like especially in the later episodes where they end the episode in an arctic tundra and the next episode they're back on Romdeau. Like how the fuck did you jump from point A to point B with zero explanation.

And the ending...Did humans create Proxies, or were they created by the God? They never really explained if the Creator was referring to an almighty supernatural being, or humans. I assumed it was God. When Proxy One tells Vincent to live to serve as punishment to the Creator, it sounded like, since the Creator basically casted the Proxies aside once their purpose was served, Vincent living his life is supposed to be a slap in the face to the Creator.

If Proxies were created by humans, and Proxy One told Vincent to punish the creators (humans), that would involve slaughtering the EXTREMELY small remaining population of people on the planet. Which would kind of invalidate the entire purpose of building domes and saving humanity begin with.

And those flying ships at the end...I couldn't tell if they were flying down from space, or if they were escaping vessels that looked similar to the one Re-l used to find Vincent.

I think it's obvious the highlight of this show was Pino. Literally never enough Pino. Everything she did just made the episode better.
Jan 18, 2015 6:27 PM

Nov 2007
Jonesy974 said:
What the show was trying to accomplish was good, but the ending was confusing as shit.

I feel like the story could have been 100x better had they just kind of laid everything out piece by piece instead of giving us a thousand metaphors to dissect.

Sometimes the flow of the story kind of sucked too. Like especially in the later episodes where they end the episode in an arctic tundra and the next episode they're back on Romdeau. Like how the fuck did you jump from point A to point B with zero explanation.

And the ending...Did humans create Proxies, or were they created by the God? They never really explained if the Creator was referring to an almighty supernatural being, or humans. I assumed it was God. When Proxy One tells Vincent to live to serve as punishment to the Creator, it sounded like, since the Creator basically casted the Proxies aside once their purpose was served, Vincent living his life is supposed to be a slap in the face to the Creator.

If Proxies were created by humans, and Proxy One told Vincent to punish the creators (humans), that would involve slaughtering the EXTREMELY small remaining population of people on the planet. Which would kind of invalidate the entire purpose of building domes and saving humanity begin with.

And those flying ships at the end...I couldn't tell if they were flying down from space, or if they were escaping vessels that looked similar to the one Re-l used to find Vincent.

I think it's obvious the highlight of this show was Pino. Literally never enough Pino. Everything she did just made the episode better.

The Earth was healed and the real sky was returning. The Proxy Project was complete and the Proxies were of no use anymore so they died off from the rays of the natural sun.

There is no "god" above the Creators (the original humans who returned at the very end in those ships flying down).

Creators > Proxies > Artificial Humans (citizens) > Autoreivs

You understood Proxy One's dying with properly for the most part. By surviving, Vincent's existence alone would spite/punish the Creators. Just living. The Creators created the Proxies to fix the Earth that they fucked up. Proxy One was butthurt about being used by them to fix their problems. He didn't like how Proxies, these self-aware beings, were disposable. I didn't interpret it as though Vincent was going to kill them, but rather simply go against their original intention and continue to live and carry on Proxy One's ambition. Does that make sense?

I agree the "flow" wasn't very good throughout the series. Like, "How did they end up here now? What's going on?"
Feb 11, 2015 9:17 AM
Aug 2012
it's in my top list! Masterpiece and nothing more I can say about it!
Feb 18, 2015 3:14 AM

Jul 2014
The creator had technology that's advanced enough to shun out 300 proxies thousands of years earlier. Vincent declaring himself to be emissary of death...? Really? He means emissary of his own death? Those returning humans, who are the descendants of the creator (the generation that created the proxies), should easily roflstomp Vincent effortlessly. A rather very sad ending.
Apr 13, 2015 1:56 PM

Feb 2015
Great ending. Would have been nice to see them all flying off together but it looked like Vincent had some work to finish first.
Apr 26, 2015 10:53 PM

Sep 2014
This is so deep, amazing and beautiful. I even teared up a bit at one point. What's this feeling?? My brain is in ecstasy.
Apr 27, 2015 11:35 PM

Sep 2014
Beautiful.

Probably can't add anything that hasn't already been said, but such a satisfying ending. Was honestly skeptical up until the very end, but it delivered. Hard. Such strong messages here. The way that artificial intelligence(cogito virus and the autoreivs, predetermination/fate and the whole Human-Robot, God-Human relationship) was utilized was so powerful.

Only gripe I can say here is how plot-driven the show was, which is mostly a good thing in my book. Some characters felt a little two dimensional, and while they all delivered emotionally in the final act, I still felt somewhat disconnected from them at points. The mystery/"wtf is going on element" worked really well, as far as tying up loose ends and creating an extremely satisfying ending, but for most of the show, I felt like it prevented me from appreciating the shows universe to an extent.

Only thing I can detract from this masterpiece tho. It rules.
May 9, 2015 5:33 PM

Sep 2013
So if I understood it correctly, the world was no longer inhabitable so humans created a spacecraft to escape and created the proxies to rebuild the world. This anime really wont spoonfeed you. You have to come up with explanation yourself. There were plotholes but its still good scifi anime. This anime took the scifi cliches and made it their own.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
May 9, 2015 5:38 PM

Sep 2013
Jonesy974 said:

You were not just paying attention dude. All your questions were answered in the anime. You're just too stupid to see them.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jun 18, 2015 1:17 PM

Jan 2015
This anime was pretty cofusing, some episodes I didn't knew what was going on, but it was cool, I really liked Pino, she's so cute! The opening is one of my favorities now, loved it!
I give it 7/10.
Jul 17, 2015 10:26 AM

Nov 2010
I wish this could have had more "filler" episodes, since those were ultimately the strongest. Traveling and finding new domes was classic sci-fi, which each one giving the opportunity to explore a completely new possibility, a different society with different rules and dogmas, isolated from each other. It's the exact same setup as the Fallout series and its shelters.

The main story about humanity coming back from the space colonies and the proxies acting as demiurges and watchers in the meantime wasn't bad per se, but instead of explaining it clearly and going in depth they chose to gloss over it, obfuscating it as much as they could with a lot of babbling about nothing. Romdeau was basically limited to 3 characters for the most part: the security and medical divisions' directors and the AIs around old Mayer acting as one, and even then we were kept in the dark, always seeing things from the perspective that gave the smallest amount of information possible in each case.

There's nothing philosophical about taking simple concepts and putting them in the most convoluted way you can while saying "truth" or "god" every other word. That's just emo, stoner or religious ramblings.

In the end, it was a well directed show with a unique enough setting -for an anime at least. It is a shame that it had to fall victim to the 2deep4u garbage that plagues so many Japanese scriptwriters.
Jul 22, 2015 1:36 PM

Sep 2014
This ending was goddamn perfect for this show.

bjtdevera said:
The ending was good; but what bothered me about this series was the fact that some episodes did absolutely nothing to further the plot, and should've been taken out.

Episode 14 - 2 Lils + 2 Vincents
Episode 15 - The Quiz Show episode
Episode 19 - The Disneyworld episode
Episode 20 - The multiple personality episode

The first 12 episodes were so good. Unfortunately, the above episodes ruined the second half for me.

I would remove ep14+20 from the list. At least those two were perfectly in line with the show. 15+19 however struck deep plotholes into the show, killed the atmosphere and integrity... I would have loved to give this show a 10. It really deserved one. But I just can't because of these two episodes. They cast too big of a shadow on the show with the damage they have done. I'm so salty. ;(
Jul 28, 2015 2:58 PM
Nov 2010
It was an interesting anime. I liked the way it was produced. There might have been some unanswered questions, but I'm fine with that.
Aug 3, 2015 11:21 AM
Jan 2013
There are a few questions I still have left after watching this show..

Most importantly though, what would the "creator" humans try to achieve by created proxies? What was their function in making earth livable again?

From the story, they crated domes, autoraves and other technological devices, which seemed to make the earth even a worse place to live on. We didn't see any effort from them in trying to savor nature and the atmosphere. Instead, what we saw was more weapons of mass destruction, more war, and absolutely nothing that resembles a healing earth. (Just remember the garbage dump from romdo, and the cave that was so full of toxins that the people there were mutated)

This leads to the next question - The last episode pretty much says that the earth has regenerated, so we see humans coming back to it. But from what the show portrayed, I saw absolutely no signs of the earth getting any better.
Aug 17, 2015 4:47 PM

Jun 2012
Very interesting, albeit hard to understand/confusing.

Pino lives on, that's a win enough for me. Never liked a child so much in an anime series (quite the opposite of Eureka Seven). .

debating between a 9 or a 10. Certainly was a unique/rare anime series, no matter if people liked it or not.

Aug 31, 2015 11:22 PM
Feb 2008
hoootie said:

Most importantly though, what would the "creator" humans try to achieve by created proxies? What was their function in making earth livable again?

From the story, they crated domes, autoraves and other technological devices, which seemed to make the earth even a worse place to live on. We didn't see any effort from them in trying to savor nature and the atmosphere. Instead, what we saw was more weapons of mass destruction, more war, and absolutely nothing that resembles a healing earth. (Just remember the garbage dump from romdo, and the cave that was so full of toxins that the people there were mutated)

This leads to the next question - The last episode pretty much says that the earth has regenerated, so we see humans coming back to it. But from what the show portrayed, I saw absolutely no signs of the earth getting any better.

I was wondering about that as well but maybe the Domes were revitalizing the planet? Considering people were living outside of them maybe the environment improved? They did say that going out of the dome would cause death and maybe there was a time this was true but thanks to the Proxies they sort of fixed that?
Sep 6, 2015 9:03 PM
Feb 2015
This anime was so interesting, episode 16 was my favorite. The opening and closing songs were amazing. I'm debating between giving it an 8 or a 9, but for now I'll give it an 8/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2015 6:11 AM

Jul 2015
Teytey said:
Awesome series as always, I think I've just rewatched this for the 3rd time.

souledge94 said:

well they kinda did. They went to get vincent but insted of them ending flying off together vincent left off with a bad ass line.Witch im sure after destroying those ships behind him he went with re-l and pino to help the new world.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't kill the "original" humans. Vincent isn't the killing type, and he'll probably help reform the world with them. But yeah, awesome ending.

Well, the city he had to protect got destroyed thx to those invaders, and he's the proxy of death. I'm pretty sure he's going to kick some space human butts before helping the wastelanders.
Sep 8, 2015 6:18 AM

Jul 2015
thatguy said:
hoootie said:

I was wondering about that as well but maybe the Domes were revitalizing the planet? Considering people were living outside of them maybe the environment improved? They did say that going out of the dome would cause death and maybe there was a time this was true but thanks to the Proxies they sort of fixed that?

My opinion is that the dome cities are a remnant of another project to save humanity and were used as a lure for people that weren't accepted onboard of the Star Boomerang. I mean, imagine the following situation : there's 10 billions people on earth and an annoucement is made that the last hope of humanity is a 100.000 seats spaceship. Instant worldwide civil war and extinction :p.
The upper classes flew and left the human race in those domes, a sterile human race (to prevent them from taking over the world again) ruled by nano-engineered/enhanced beings that were programmed to die in the sun light, after the nuclear winter. Earth's problem in Ergo Proxy isn't pollution but the amount of dust in the air, that obscures the sun and prevents heat and light to reach the ground.

I think the program was supposed to end with proxies dying from the sunlight and dome cities' power being shut down (dome inhabitants are engineered in a way that kills them if they breathe something else than the domes' atmosphere). The returning mankind would have empty cities at their disposal with robots and autoreivs to repopulate. Most dome cities didn't fell with the Awakening but before, wich hints at something going wrong with the domes and proxy project.
DeathkoSep 8, 2015 6:45 AM
Nov 9, 2015 3:50 AM
Feb 2010
Archon231 said:
The animation of this show was great (except the last few eps where people looked 'wrong') and I loved the music, especially Radiohead! :D

But really... I just can't agree with this being a good ending OR an anime that made any sense... It was just way to "I need to be on acid" to understand. I enjoyed watching it for a while, but they way the characters interacted made no sense and was too inconsistent. People were too... well "flip-floppy" and the "philosophical" conversations between Vincent and the other proxies boiled down in the end to "truth" or "truth." I understand the point was that truth is what you make it, but... I just didn't get that from the script.

I was just not impressed with the story and philosophy, it seemed like the classic "hey, I'm the director and I want to fuck with people so much that they think this is good even though it lacks real substance or congruency."

In any case... I loved Pino! ^_^

This pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the show, it basically feels like there's no point to it all, both in the episode-to-episode happenings and the overarching plot (if you can even call it that). It can't even be called a mind fuck because, aside from the actual illusions created by the one proxy, half of the shit that doesn't make sense doesn't make sense because it's nonsensical filler. In the end, they essentially say "proxies are magical angels and are mad because they're lonely". I'm supposed to be invested in that because...why, exactly?

Despite the fact that watching the entire show felt like a chore and actually discouraged me from watching it at times, I think the ending is the strongest point, ironically enough. It wasn't a cheesy 'I killed the other me and got the girl' ending, nor was it some attempted mind fuck/plot twist resulting in everyone's death or something completely unsatisfying that just leaves you saying "really? that was it?". So, I guess they get points for that at least.

End result: The character designs are great (especially Lil), but I couldn't recommend this to any of my friends.
LoopKatNov 9, 2015 3:56 AM
Dec 4, 2015 8:36 PM
Jan 2015
I think I can provide an answer to the Re-l clone turning into Monad.
Romdeau had captured Monad after the whole Ergo Proxy/ Proxy One runaway thing and Daedalus got to study her cells (Amrita Cells). After the original Re-l started frustratring the obsessive Daedalus, he created a clone of her so he would not lose his Raison D'etre jibber jabber. She had a very weird growth rate and was adult sized in a matter of months. After his conversation with Raul Creed, Daedalus' research was advanced to the point he found a way to kill the Amrita Cells and made bullets for that purpose, and also started experimenting with the clone, adding those cells to her (something that can also be seen in Naruto, Orochimaru loves doing that with Hashirama's cells).

Apparently the cells alone are what make a Proxy, so the conclusion now should be quite clear. What I still wonder is: 85% of the population died in the methane hydrate exposion, so 15% survived. Considering the population most likely was around some billions, 15% is still a lot, probably more than a spaceship (of even a fleet of them) can carry. So if humans were left on the planet, along with the proxies, were they suddently sterile? Did they die because the air was unbreathable? I'm confused about the nature of the "humans" that live in the Domes. Are all of them created in that artificial womb?
Dec 7, 2015 1:34 PM

Apr 2009
I can't give this Anime more than a 6/10.
I also can't make out why you can give this such a high rating. Frankly speaking I was struggling over finishing this Anime, but I was hoping (as with Steins Gate) that the Story would later begin to be compelling.
Unfortunately this was not the case, still the last few episodes were quite good.
I was expecting more.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

94 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xel - May 29, 2008

105 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xel - May 28, 2008

152 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.