Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 28, 2014 7:14 PM

Jan 2013
A good first episode.
Love the contrast between the two Nana's.The comedy's pretty good and the soundtrack's pretty dope.
My only complaint would be the art style but that's probably associated with the manga I guess.
Anyways, been this excited for a drama after a long time. I hope this turns out to be as good as Honey and Clover.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 29, 2014 9:01 AM

Jun 2009
skyzblue said:

Anyways, been this excited for a drama after a long time. I hope this turns out to be as good as Honey and Clover.

Imo, this and Honey and Clover are probably the best shoujo/josei romances I've seen.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 9, 2014 3:12 PM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
amazing first episode!
Sep 10, 2014 7:36 PM

Oct 2013
Finally starting watching this too(a few years late but better late than never right?). I already get the feeling that I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of this. Let's go Nanas!
Dec 20, 2014 6:17 PM

Jun 2012
I believe this is my first josei and so far im really enjoying this.
EDIT: Well I was just looking at the page and it says its a shoujo. :/ couldve sworn someone told me this was a josei.
Sol_OuDec 20, 2014 7:34 PM
Dec 24, 2014 2:19 AM

Oct 2013
Well, she is kind of annoying.

This was actually a really charming start to the series, though. I always thought I'd dislike this show, so I hope my preconceptions remain wrong! The fact that this isn't a high school setting already has me intrigued.

If this turns into a yuri/shoujo-ai, I'm dropping it, though.

Oh yeah and so far this appears to have a very solid dub.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 1, 2015 3:52 AM

Aug 2014
Kayro said:
I must say that I really enjoyed this first episode, and I have high hopes for this show (I had already been told that it was good, but I wanted to see it for myself =P).
Also, the OP was very good and the way the preview was done was very original, though I don't like it much.
Ditto on all counts save that the "told it was good" was actually secondhand through a source who'll probly be showing up here just after me (as tends to happen) and I didn't get to see the preview because buffering failed right at the end of the ep and I didn't feel like bothering, lol.
Kira01 said:
I don't really like the character designs but the story seems interesting..

LOL@spoiler. All the Japanese punnage.
KillthisAccount said:
Interesting episode, and fairly unique as well. Nana and Nana seem interesting, not too sure about the BF yet though.
Yeah, I've got a bad feeling about him. Not so bad that I think he's gonna turn out an asshole, but something tells me things aren't gonna work out...

Looking at the tags for the series, even if that does happen, I doubt it'll turn the way I want it to~

Dark-haired Nana reminds me of someone, going from "cool and distant" to "Someone's suffering here have some decorum!"...but I can't quite put my finger on who it is. >.<
"Ō-sama...kindly shut up. I wouldn't normally do this, but we are working with them whether you like it or not, because otherwise our chances of success approach zero." - Stern the Destructor (maybe not a direct translation, but it gets the point across)
Related: I'm writing a Lyrical alternate timeline!
Feb 1, 2015 4:15 AM

Nov 2014
I a was told this would be right up my alley of good awesome and fricking amazing.

they were right. t's episode 1 and i'm already hooked. I love it wen an anime series grabs me like this.

I don't think I will like the boyfriend. he's an unappreciative little shit so far. like c'mon man. she cleaned up your shitty apartment for you. she made you dinner. be more respectful.

Black hair nana I adore you. you're someone I'd want to actually hang around. be friends with.

red hair nana- you remind me of a sister almost. you're adorable and sweet. thoughtful/ be with someone who actually appreciate all that you do for them.

I also love the opening and the endings. I will be looking for them asap. to add to my ipod.
LadyDisraeliFeb 1, 2015 4:18 AM
Feb 1, 2015 4:26 AM

Aug 2014
Duneflower said:
through a source who'll probly be showing up here just after me (as tends to happen)
LadyDisraeli said:
I a was told this would be right up my alley of good awesome and fricking amazing.
Called it.
"Ō-sama...kindly shut up. I wouldn't normally do this, but we are working with them whether you like it or not, because otherwise our chances of success approach zero." - Stern the Destructor (maybe not a direct translation, but it gets the point across)
Related: I'm writing a Lyrical alternate timeline!
Feb 1, 2015 4:28 AM

Nov 2014
Duneflower said:
Duneflower said:
through a source who'll probly be showing up here just after me (as tends to happen)
LadyDisraeli said:
I was told this would be right up my alley of good awesome and fricking amazing.
Called it.

You made me sneeze.
Mar 4, 2015 1:33 PM

Dec 2013
The train scene gave me some Byousoku 5 cm vibes.. but other than that it was a very solid first ep.
The black Nana is even more awesome than I could imagine.
Good OP and ED.
Mar 5, 2015 7:07 AM

Aug 2013
Wait. Wait. One thing. I must say one thing before I even start to talk about the episode/anime. Osaki voice. Fuck, it's fucking sexy. Shit man, she have her charm with her look, but that voice..... <3

Anyway, that said, it was a pretty solid episode. I wonder how the romance will go. It's new to me a romance that has already ''bloomed'' before the anime even started. I guess the romance will play more on the drama string than the sweet string, since it's already develloped. We don't yet though about Osaki, but by her look, I'd say that she have a lot of background on her own.

What an odd way to end up in someone appartement. It's almost like it was planned and written in the sky... :P
Or that it was written in the synopsis.

Unfortunatly, it's not an enjoyment breaker, but the animation looks really old and is a bit lacking. I hope the comedic gimmicks don't get old too fast, or it will become a pain to watch.

The music aspect look interesting. The OP/ED was great, especially the OP. Though it could have been more punk to my taste, the OP rocked pretty well.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 17, 2015 7:40 AM
Jul 2014
Promising! Nice first episode,I like main protagonists (Nana&Nana) which characters seems are placed in opposition to each other. That may work well later on for the script writer. I must address the art though, which seems to be the weak point for now. I'm not talking about style itself(which I see as fresh,a bit different as main big-eyed,cute style), but (here and there) noticeable sloppiness. Nonetheless, great potential, will stick with it! :)
May 28, 2015 6:43 PM

Mar 2015
Good start,train scene looked really good.
Black Nana best Nana.
Jun 24, 2015 12:02 PM

Jun 2013
Been meaning to watch this for years and i must say that the first episode was very good! :)
Jul 15, 2015 3:37 PM
Jul 2015
Alrighty , I have been avoiding nana ever since it came out. Everyone in my high school was reading the manga and it didn't really interest me. I saw the artwork and was like : no way! That's not how anime looks like. Haha I like my character a la Shakugan no Shana style. But God damnit have I missed out on one great anime back then! I'm glad I'm watching it now though. I'm 24 myself and i can totally get their problems . Like collage , work, money issues . I love it !!! No more high school bs . Haha the art work reminded me a bit of paradise kiss which was a good anime as well; but I just avoided nana somehow. After this I def wanna read the manga tho! High hopes after seeing this episode . Haha the same name thing is so cool
Nov 28, 2015 11:09 AM
Jun 2013
This was an excellent first episode. The characters are very likable, good music, nice art...this has a ton of potential. Now the story just has to deliver.
Jan 21, 2016 11:07 AM

Aug 2014
Even if i watched first 20~ minutes of live movie NaNa and I knew what is going to happen in this episode I enjoyed it and laughed few times. But there is one thing I didn't like - expressions on their faces especially on black Nana face. She should e more calm and indifferent like was the actress in movie. I really loved the first 20-30 minutes of movie more than this episode of anime but let me see more.
I didn't watch the movie till the end to not spoil this anime for myself.

I was surprised that white Nana slept with Shouji :O I thought he just let her sleep overnight and kick her out but sleeping and kicking her out? it is bs*!
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Mar 19, 2016 2:21 PM

Nov 2011
o wow

nigga fuccin dam

so much has happened in just 22 minutes yet it feels so complete

who the fuck directed this
Asaka Morio???
give that fag a blowjob
he deserves it
Apr 5, 2016 3:37 PM

Nov 2012
I don't know what to say,lol.

Really liked this first episode and this series seems very promising,have very high expectations for this.
May 17, 2016 3:03 AM

Apr 2013
Already loving this series and its presentation. The setting is realistic and the characters are intriguing and feel real and 3 dimensional. The OP and ED are quite cool too! Love the fated encounters between the two Nanas. Can't wait for more, to learn about the characters, and to witness the drama to unfold~
Very promising~
Jun 25, 2016 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
just love the music. op and ed as well , its soo beautiful
Jul 24, 2016 4:29 PM

Nov 2015
That went by so fast!! I feel like I'll love both Nana's (I feel like I'll relate to both). Though, because they say it's a raw story, I've the felling Happy Nana is going to break up with her boyfriend and maybe get together with one of Dark Nana's friends.
P.S. Is Dark Nana going to die or something? Why is Happy Nana the only one talking in the beginning?
Dec 12, 2016 8:41 AM

Aug 2014
How the hell did Nana smoke inside the public train? unrealistic.
Also coincidence much?

Nevertheless, good start and i think i will like this show.
Dec 29, 2016 5:54 PM

Sep 2015
Very good 1st episode. Feel like Nana's bf isn't faithful just have the vibe. Hoping to see more of this because of the great things I've heard of this anime.

Haha early Nana#2 Nana X Yokoi ship?
Jan 7, 2017 4:13 AM

Oct 2009
Rewatching this for the first time since 2008. Can't believe it was so long ago! I'm still interested.
Feb 28, 2017 1:55 PM

Mar 2015
I definitely think I'll be enjoying this series!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 12, 2017 7:16 PM

Dec 2007
Just started rewatching it. I already fell sorry for my feels
Jul 13, 2017 1:47 PM

Jan 2016
Very much heartwarming of a pilot episode. I love how Nana... ehm... the tomboy / rocker one, told off that greedy and heartless real estate agent.

One other thing I liked is how the rocker said that they weren't really friends at the same instant that the other one said that they WERE friends. Perhaps it's a little depressing at first, especially for her. However, t it's realistic, and really shows a distinct personality emerging. Hopefully one that will not conflict with the other. Can I start calling them by last names? Their having the same names is annoying.

I have high hopes.

P.S. Amazing outro!
Jul 15, 2017 3:39 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty good set up episode, liked the atmosphere and the comedy. I also liked that Nanas bf wasn't all lovey-dovey, this is kina nice for a change.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 8, 2017 7:21 AM

Aug 2017
Both are Nanas’ style are awesome. I think it’s going to be a great Shoujo anime !
Apr 4, 2018 12:11 PM

May 2016
Really unique and original that's the best thing about it, the characters seems interesting I prefer Emo Nana over country girl.
Apr 15, 2018 7:12 PM

Jan 2016
LOVED THE FIRST EPISODE.

Some things I didn't like is the art style. The guitar nana didn't seem good looking to me and the other nana didn't seem cute either. She did but it sorta looks weird.

I'm sure it's just something you get used to. I mean code geass is litterly the best anime ever and it didn't exactly have normal art style but these kinds of weird styles really grows on you over time.

10/10 loved it.
Apr 16, 2018 3:28 PM

May 2017
NANA might have been the first anime to successfully combine zany comedy moments and tragic drama seamlessly. Not many have pulled off the trick in the next 12 years. Golden Time?
Mar 3, 2019 5:22 PM
Apr 2016
The facial expressions are really good, captures the emotions well! I heard this is a heavy-drama-romance, so I have high expectations. First episode was really awesome!
Apr 16, 2019 8:08 AM

Oct 2012
Awww what a lovely first episode
It's like they're fated to meet
I hope it's not wrong move to place them together in one flat
Looking forward for the journey they'll go through!
"Signature removed"
May 21, 2019 11:40 AM

Aug 2017
This one was on my to watchlist for a long time. I finally started watching the first episode! It was a great one for sure. So Nana-chan met rockchick-Nana on the train, two girls who are two worlds apart but, somehow, felt a connection. It was sad when they 'lost' each other after departing the train, I think Shoji's reaction was a little off too. But the best had yet to come and I couldn't believe they ran into each other at the appartment. Which is a huge mansion, wow. I am wondering what adventures await them :)
Jun 17, 2019 12:40 PM

Jul 2015
That was a great first episode! For a series that I only know for the drama, the comedy was absolutely hilarious, really interested in what this fated meeting will lead to these two girls.
Aug 2, 2019 11:04 PM

Jul 2016
Already like the 1st episode and honestly? I kinda ship them together...
Jan 24, 2020 1:15 AM

Jan 2013
Am I the only one who thinks Nana's boyfriend is weird?
Seriously your long-distance girlfriend just came to your place and the next day you're like 'when you're moving out'? wtf... I'm also in a long-distance relationship for a year and 3 months now and my bf's biggest dream is to move in with me.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 25, 2020 4:24 AM

Jul 2015
Great start, I can see some similiarities between this and the authors previous works Gokinjo monogatari and Paradise Kiss. Nana looks like a pretty fun and interesting character to watch, some good chemistry between her and the other Nana even though they seem to be polar opposites in terms of personality

Jan 15, 2021 9:48 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Finally giving this a shot! It's been forever in my PTW list so my expectations for it seemed to grow and grow and this first episode is a solid hit so far. Got to say, I definitely miss the old school feeling at times.

Nana-chan and Nana hence the show titled "Nana", I see lol. Quite the strange fate intertwining the two. Soon as roommates, now. Interesting...

I hope I'm wrong but my gut's telling me that Nana-chan is about to experience something very life-changing considering how central a certain aspect of her life seems. But well, I'm fully expecting some mature themes to be tackled here and that's exactly why I'm here. Probably going to get a few sobbing moments here and there, I'm guessing.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 31, 2021 5:49 AM

Mar 2020
I have a bad tendency to drop anime if I've already read the manga it was based on. let's hope I'll finish this one, absolutely loved the first episode.
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Mar 14, 2021 10:00 PM
May 2020
Started this randomly, and now I'm hooked to it!!!!
Apr 28, 2021 12:24 AM
Jan 2021
It seems a really nice anime.
i love 2 nanas <33
May 23, 2021 3:44 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was pretty interesting for a first episode and it seems to be well written but focused on romance drama etc so I don't think I'm interested, I'll pass my turn xD
May 23, 2021 6:59 PM
Dec 2017
the beggining of many tragedies.

Aug 13, 2021 11:33 PM
Jun 2021
I loved this *sniffs* this anime wants me to start a new life for some reason
Sep 12, 2021 1:28 PM

Jan 2010
Going into NANA, I only knew two things about the anime: both the main characters' names were Nana, and that there was a strong focus on music. It's been many years since I've first heard about the series, and upon watching the first episode, I can see why it's pretty well regarded. NANA feels like a live action drama, but with all the benefits of being an anime. There's a strong emphasis on character interactions and personalities clashing with each other, but there's also a whimsical, bubbly demeanor, reflecting its shoujo traits. I greatly enjoy that the main characters are all adults, and we get to see their adult dramas such as maintaining romantic relationships and finding independence. Also, I enjoyed the show's general atmosphere, enhanced by Tokyo's scenery and the scene-by-scene direction in presenting the city and characters. I like what I've seen so far.
Oct 30, 2021 9:42 AM
Mar 2021
The first ep was really enjoyable. I kept rewinding some scenes to have a good long look of everything from the art style to the cute facial expression changes. Ik that this anime will be one of my favs. Im so exited! nana looks like she's going to get dumped ngl. The other nana looks so hot I love her personality cz I see myself in her (attitude and humor wise). But, the first ep looks like a flashback so im guessing something sad happened, def not ready for the pain.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nana Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chelle - Apr 25, 2007

86 by kivuchan »»
Yesterday, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Nana Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

116 by akane_slays »»
May 13, 1:35 PM

» Does this anime still hold up

mydaddy - May 2

20 by LostSpectre »»
May 6, 7:39 PM

Poll: » NANA Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Mar 23, 2008

102 by nelsonnnn »»
Apr 28, 5:21 PM

Poll: » NANA Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

jacobpaige - Mar 23, 2008

164 by nelsonnnn »»
Apr 28, 5:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.