Forum Settings
Forums

Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

New
May 20, 7:23 PM

Apr 2018
Looking back at shows from a decade ago can be an interesting exercise in nostalgia and perspective. Some shows may have aged well and while others may have fallen off. Do you find that any of them have fallen off in terms of quality or enjoyment for you?
May 20, 7:31 PM

Dec 2021
My AI generated response to the AI generated question.

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 20, 7:34 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
I first watched FMAB in 2014. In 2022, I rewatched it after watching FMA 2003. Even after the hundreds of anime I’ve seen, they’re both the best ones I’ve seen in the medium.
May 20, 7:51 PM
Oct 2019
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Better than a decade ago

High school of the dead still a masterpiece

Binbogami Ga still great

Shirobako still great

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun still very good

Hundred not a decade ago but fell off

D-Frag even better that I remember

Monster Musume still very good

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru still great and by how low it's talked about I consider it the underrated show of Shizuka Itou career with Jormungand.

Net-juu no Susume still great hit even more close to home that the first time.
May 20, 7:54 PM

Aug 2018
K-On! still holds up to this day and will continue to do so forevermore.
May 20, 8:06 PM

Aug 2021
Watching Bleach now for the first time since I put it down in 2006. Just watching the first two arcs, I'm kind of wondering how it was completely my favorite anime at the time. It has some tear-jerker moments, and even more so in the Arrancar arc I'm on now, but I don't think the anime has a shot at my current top 10. (Looking forward to the most recent episodes to see if they meet the hype!)
May 20, 8:08 PM

Jun 2011
Older shows will never fall off for me. Yes, the production may look a bit dated and old, but a lot of the animation technicality is still there and still hold up very well.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 20, 9:15 PM

Feb 2020
Some of those shows are still good and some are not.

SerafosMay 21, 2:01 AM
May 20, 9:27 PM

Jul 2016
Maybe fallen off since it's been a minute since I've thought about them but they still quality.
May 21, 2:00 AM

Sep 2016
Sure, because enjoyment falls off with time in general, almost everyone had more joy watching Anime when they were younger.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 21, 2:56 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Zarutaku
Sure, because enjoyment falls off with time in general, almost everyone had more joy watching Anime when they were younger.
@Zarutaku

Frankly I'm in my late 40s and enjoying anime as much as I ever did.
May 21, 3:03 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to IKKIsama
@Zarutaku

Frankly I'm in my late 40s and enjoying anime as much as I ever did.
@IKKIsama Ok, then you are not "almost everyone"
May 21, 3:45 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
dunno, lot of trash in old Anime.

Lot of favs, remain favs in old Anime

Lot of trash in new Anime

Lot of favs remain favs from newer Anime ...

For me nothing has changed since 2008 where I started watching Anime... there is amazing stuff coming and lot of meh stuff as well...
May 21, 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
Nah, they are fine, I like that decade as it was when I was most active, it is familiar and comfy.
May 21, 3:48 AM

Jan 2021
Gintama is still good after rewatching it many years later. One of the best anime.
May 21, 4:19 AM

May 2022
I watched Pokemon and the Kirby anime 10 years ago, I tried rewatching some episodes 5 years ago, and they were still pretty good in terms of quality.
May 21, 4:27 AM
May 21, 4:34 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to -Fantastical-
I watched Pokemon and the Kirby anime 10 years ago, I tried rewatching some episodes 5 years ago, and they were still pretty good in terms of quality.
@SnipeStrike og pokemon is decent, better than later seasons. But largely nostalgia sake
May 21, 5:03 AM

May 2024
I guess one piece fit this description
May 21, 5:15 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Zarutaku
@IKKIsama Ok, then you are not "almost everyone"
@Zarutaku

I mean, some may enjoy it less over time or even drop the hobby altogether, but if you're still watching anime at my age you probably really like it anyway.
May 21, 5:16 AM

Oct 2023
Hmmm, these Dragevard questions are oddly empty, almost as if they don't care about what they are asking. On it's surface it seems like an interesting question...however I am more curious as to why Dragevard never answers their own questions. Does Dragevard even like anime? Is Dragevard even human?

Until Dragevard starts to answer their own questions, I will conceal all of my responses. In this way Dragevard will be forced to click to see my answer...not that they care...

Answer:
May 21, 5:26 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to IKKIsama
@Zarutaku

I mean, some may enjoy it less over time or even drop the hobby altogether, but if you're still watching anime at my age you probably really like it anyway.
@IKKIsama Sure, but if you still get the same level of excitement as when you started watching, that's certainly a rare case.
May 21, 5:34 AM

Oct 2023
Reply to Daviljoe193
My AI generated response to the AI generated question.

@Daviljoe193 also bravo on your response!
May 21, 5:43 AM

Oct 2019
A decade ago I was 9.....

I had probably seen yugi oh, the street fighter movies, castle in the sky, princess mononoke and some other random stuff that I can't remember.....

I would say I fell off indeed.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 21, 6:28 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to MogKnight
@Daviljoe193 also bravo on your response!
@MogKnight I swear I genuinely put more effort into my joke replies than Dragevard does his own AI slop posts. I basically distilled 26 of my posts and part of my anime list down to a small wall of text of me, more or less, and give it a very barebones version of my opinion to work from. It's still not a perfect clone of me, but it's fun to place bets on which model makes the most "feels like me" output. Also I can just straight up tell it lies about myself, and see what I'd look like if my opinions were somehow even worse than they already are.

Having it generate a response to this post about anime that made you feel emotional.

Daviljoe193May 21, 6:32 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 21, 2:40 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Shows don't age. We age. Stuff that felt fresh, original or interesting when we were a dumb young teenager will usually not feel the same when you're 30. It doesn't mean that those old shows "aged badly". It just means they were never really great to begin with, and we simply enjoyed them because we were young and impressionable, and our brains weren't developed enough to notice bad writing, poor/inconsistent characterization, cliche character archetypes, or experience-ruining plot holes.

I used to think Death Note was a 10/10 anime when I was 15. Pretty shameful to admit, I know. I rewatched that show a few months ago and I was dumbfounded how idiotic the writing is. Being young and ignorant (or simply stupid, regardless of age) guarantees that you will enjoy anime a lot more.
May 21, 2:44 PM

Jul 2013
I still watch Hyperdimension Neptunia and Senran Kagura, which aired back in 2013...from over one decade ago.
May 21, 5:26 PM

Mar 2021
Dragevard said:
Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

I look back at a series like "Cross Ange" that released in 2014 and think the Animation director basically found a genius way to show off as much nudity and sexual fanservice without it ever getting an Ecchi tag slapped to it simply because the female characters literally have no nipples in the series. lol

Do I think "Cross Ange" fell off? Not really, but it's not like I would waste my time to watch it ever again unless I was extremely bored out of my mind with absolutely nothing better to do than to re-watch a bunch of Anime from 2014.
ColourWheelMay 21, 5:41 PM
May 21, 11:22 PM

Jan 2022
I believe some things, you believe some things, there are good people on both sides...
Personally I don't watch an anime out of nostalgia, as nostalgia is one of the most dangerous brain viruses...

More topics from this board

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - Yesterday

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» Does your opinion of a voice actor change when you hear them voice characters in hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

15 by CaptainKenshiro »»
4 minutes ago

» Say, how does an anime look like on an HD CRT television from the early to mid 2000's or a rear projection TV manufactured around the same time period?

MaximumHolder500 - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

92 by KittenCuddler »»
12 minutes ago

» Favorite Sports Anime ?

tchitchouan - May 25

28 by juanlqr »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.