Forum Settings
Forums

Do you deem gratuitously killing insects immoral?

New
May 10, 8:18 AM

Aug 2022
I'm curious about your ethical standards when it comes to (intentionally, carelessly or maliciously) killing insects.

Obviously there are many scenarios in which this would happen, and for an innumerable amount of reasons, so I'll provide some examples afterwards. I know it's also not a topic of great interest to the public (generally), but it is a question nonetheless.

- Is it immoral for you to kill a fly on your room, that would otherwise most likely take you like 2 minutes to just get out?
- The same scenario but with a mosquito.
- The same with a mosquito, but the person tries to intentionally cause pain/torture it before killing it.
- How about intentionally stepping on a beetle or ant on the street?
- A bee?
- A bee that for some reason cannot fly and pollinate?
- (You can add any scenario you like that differentiates moral from immoral)

I know some people do not care at all since it's generally believed that insects in general have less degree of sentience than other lifeforms, which can make it into a grey area at best.
May 10, 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
I like insects so I hate killing them, when I discover one in my home I try to free it without harming; unless it is dangerous or a pest (cockroach, mosquitos etc), even then I still feel bad and would prefer not to kill it somehow. I free all the ones I can.
May 10, 8:22 AM

Jan 2009
honestly i would not torture an insect most of the time today but when i was a kid i remove the wings of dragonflys and toy with them and i did not feel guilt back then
May 10, 8:25 AM

Jun 2015
i do not enjoy killing insects, unless i was confronted with like an infestation or something ig. havent had that issue though
in general i will just scoop them up and take them outside. idc what others do though. it is probs odd if someone enjoys stuff like pulling the wings off a bee, but eh

May 10, 8:29 AM

Nov 2023
i dont feel one way or the other about it. its just a bug who gives a shit but def weird if someone gets a high from killing bugs...ye that would be concerning

00cactus
May 10, 8:29 AM

Sep 2016
I only kill them intentionally if they annoy me, but killing insects unintentionally is unavoidable anyway.

Everyone of us killed plenty of insects either intentionally or unintentionally, the reason doesn't change anything for them because dead is dead.

ZarutakuMay 10, 8:33 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 10, 8:30 AM

Aug 2018
I'm putting them out of their misery before someone or something else does.
May 10, 12:39 PM

Feb 2019
I kill bugs when I see them, If theres one in my room I step on it, If theres one I see in my peripheral vision I go out my way to kill them.

If the bugs are annoying me thats another matter, Sometimes I like to trap bugs in a cup and then poke holes at the top of cup and then use fart spray to make them suffer before they die.

In very fun occassions if there 2 flies or 2 bugs, I like to trap both with glass cups and make the other one watch me torture the other bug.

Overall I hate insects, I hate bugs.
May 10, 1:22 PM

Jan 2023
Outside my house, they can do whatever.

Inside my house, bit of an annoyance but if they aren’t bothering me than meh.

Bothering me, now that’s an issue.
May 10, 1:30 PM

Jan 2022
You insect lovers must like this anime alot.
May 10, 2:13 PM

Apr 2012
Animal rights is a very difficult area to start telling other people what to do, because there's a very wide range of plausible assumptions to make about the subjective experience of being anything other than a human. I think you can reasonably say that hurting or killing any living creature without reason is wrong, but for creatures as basic as insects, it's hard to fault someone killing them for a trivial reason like "it's buzzing around being annoying". Although people who try to avoid killing insects wherever possible are likely to be good people.
May 10, 2:20 PM

Nov 2013
I developed my hatred of insects after suffering the endless misery you are subjected to by midge when hiking during the summer in Scotland. Holy shit it is just unbearable. Wish I had a flamethrower for them.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 10, 3:12 PM

May 2019
Think there's a pretty good argument that killing insects for no good reason period is immoral.

Premise 1: It is immoral to harm creatures capable of feeling pain for no good reason.

Premise 2: If it is immoral to harm creatures capable of feeling pain for no good reason, then it is immoral to do actions that have a decent probability of harming creatures capable of feeling pain for no good reason. [Basically, if it's bad to cause harm, it's bad to do things that have a decent chance of causing harm. Be morally cautious.]

Premise 3: There is a decent probability that attacking an insect is an action that harms a creature capable of feeling pain. [That is, there is some probability that insects can suffer, even though we have no proof.]

Conclusion: It is immoral to attack insects for no good reason.

Some caveats: Someone could have a broad conception of what "a good reason" is. E.g. you can consider insects in your home invaders and that their invasion warrants violent retaliation. Or two, you can just not give a shit about harming non-human creatures. Which seems to be the morality of many people.
FreshellMay 10, 3:17 PM
May 10, 3:47 PM

Jul 2013
Does it matter?? Humans will soon be extinct. I can guranatee it. If you dont believe me, then you either not intelligent enough to see the evidence for NTHE...or you are just a lackey of the system, defending it for your own selfish reasons...
May 10, 5:46 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I don't enjoy killing insects, but I think entering your house is grounds to do so (within reason). Likewise if they are disrupting the ecosystem or otherwise.
May 10, 8:07 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
When I was younger, I wouldn't even hurt a fly, I'd bring them outside with a cup or something. Nowadays, not so much. I don't like killing them, but it's the quickest option in a lot of cases if they are being annoying.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 10, 8:39 PM

Apr 2024
𝕀𝕗 𝕓𝕦𝕘𝕤 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕨𝕖 𝕤𝕖𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤, 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪 𝕨𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕝𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕨𝕖 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕒𝕟 𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕣𝕖𝕕𝕚𝕓𝕝𝕪 𝕧𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕕 𝕚𝕞𝕒𝕘𝕚𝕟𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟.
May 10, 8:45 PM

Dec 2022
The only bugs I kill consciously are ones that are actively targetting my face, which is a behaviour more or less exclusive to flies. Otherwise, I just catch and release them if the bug in question would get in the way, or ignore them entirely if they're not going to be disruptive to daily living.

My moral protocol with other life in general is that I won't infringe on it unless it infringes on me.

Shaded Horizon

May 10, 10:01 PM
Dec 2022
I ain't a Buddhist nun, so no, I don't think it's immoral to kill insects if they bug you.
May 10, 10:40 PM

Nov 2011
if i find a spider or a common housefly, i try to catch it and then release it outside. if i found a bee, i would also try to capture it and release it outside.
while i don't enjoy it, i dispose of mosquitos if they get in the bedroom.
ants..i may ignore it if there's only 1 or 2 (stray ants), but if there are many, i dispose of them.

speaking of insects, there's a manga about a cockroach girl and her daily life....because Japan.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 10, 11:07 PM

Feb 2018
WATUH! (((ง’ω’)و三 ง’ω’)ڡ≡ (Flies)

BANG BANG ( ´-ω・)︻┻┳══━一 (cockroaches)

BZZZZ (∩` ロ ´)⊃━炎炎炎炎炎 (wasps)

POW (Locusts)O-(`⌒´Q)

SHING (ಠ o ಠ)¤=[]:::::> (mosquitoes)

May 10, 11:44 PM

Mar 2008
I try to avoid killing any insect. A fly, a bee, a wasp, a large spider, cockroach all can be caught by a cup and a thin poster board or something to slide under it once you cup over them then they can be released. Mosquitos I just let them bite me if they are already at it because why smash them when it will just swell up more if I do so?
May 11, 12:40 AM

May 2013
For me I tend to draw the line at pestilence. As well as hive oriented insects are essentially soulless by every metric.

Yesterday at work I rescued a moth and brought them to sunlight so their wings could dry. Poor baby was shaking. For bugs I try my best to help them, I had to squish a bumblebee last week because it was horribly injured so I gave her some sugar water as a last meal. Not an insect but I spend a noticeable amount of time relocating spiders every day, there are lots of them this time of year so I pick them up and move them somewhere that they won't get squished by an arachnophobe.

Be kind to bugs and you will see just how awesome they are.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
May 11, 12:44 AM

May 2018
I like spiders and bees and moths and crickets and most other insects so I'll try to remove them without killing them. I even try to save the worms that are stuck in the middle of the sidewalk.

The exception is mosquitoes. Those little mfs deserve to die and I refuse to elaborate.

Oh and as a gardener, I guess aphids and mites suck too. But those are pests that bigger insects like to eat.
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
May 11, 1:50 AM
May 2012
It is estimated that there are approximately 30-40 trillion bacteria inside an average human body, it is estimated that trillions of bacteria are born and die in a human body every day.
Any little thing you change in your body could result in a genocide.
If you put it that way being fruitarian because you don't want to harm animals is kinda, pointless.
The key to understand this is to know what religion or empathy or culture a person has.
The more a life form is different from man, the less man feels empathy towards it.
But in general man also comes to despise and not give any value to the lives of other men therefore...
There are humans that kills humans and feel good about it, there people that accidentally kills a bug and feel sad about it.
Who is going to judge what is right to feel and do? God? society?
We can consider Buddhism one of the kindest and most empathetic human philosophies towards insects, it is generally taught that even the most "elementary" "less evolved" life forms generate negative karma but the point is not to kill but to have the will to do harm, torture, destroy. It is taught that even the cup of tea that the monk drinks contains leaves that have been cultivated and to be cultivated insecticides have been used, tractors that have crushed exterminated thousands, millions, billions of insects, even if the monk is vegan, still insects will end up mixed in the tea leaves. But the point is that there was no will to do harm, it is done to increase the quality and quantity of the production of the cultivated product, negative karma is still produced but not as much as if there was the will to do harm with that goal only.
I'm vegetarian and animalist but I kill insects like mosquitoes, it is estimated that mosquitoes kill around one million human beings in the world due to the consequences of their bite and this makes them the deadliest animals in the world towards humans, they are not exactly friendly and healthy.
At this point it depends on what you prioritize, the life of the mosquito or your well-being?
Many religions says that their God don't want humans to harm animals, yet humans are created by God as a living form that to keep living need to eat living forms, so, doesn't make sense. Willing it or not you will kill to keep existing you are not really suitable to teach lessons about love and respect neither is that kind of God.
Why did some life evolve this way? because it is more convenient, stealing energy is more efficient than producing it.
So what?
This whole thing is about empathy, its purpose is to create balance.
An ecosystem needs balance to function, let's say we have a planet with humans that eats and kills everything on sight, in the end the planet will be left with just one person that will inevitably die this is not the goal of the life because life wants to keep going and evolve so something went wrong somewhere.
Balance does not only mean letting live but also killing, sometimes it is very important killing to encourage other life.
A God couldn't care less what living forms do to other living forms when non living forms things in the universe swallows entire galaxies, I mean shouldn't you take care of that instead sending humans to hell?
Morality changes and adapts to what is most convenient for man.
May 11, 1:56 AM

Feb 2020
Insects that actively want to hurt/bite me like mosquitoes and fleas I take great pride in ending.

If something non-threatening lands on me outside, I get them to walk off me.

Spiders I either leave or catch them with a glass and chuck them outside.

Any flies that get inside my house my cat deals with by eating them.
May 11, 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
I usually kill any bugs inside, unless it'd be a honeybee/bumblebee but that hasn't happened before.

Had some sort of moth infestation when we just moved in and holy hell was that hard to get rid of. My cat also usually gets the flies before I do.

But yeah, I don't torture them nor do I intentionally kill any outside.
May 11, 11:02 AM

Sep 2019
I don't feel bad about killing insects but at the same time I don't actively participate in it, if I see one inside my house I try my best to catch it and let it outside.
May 11, 7:21 PM

May 2010
I don't believe all life is equally important, so killing insects isn't that immoral, and I engage in such an activity gleefully. Drop dead you arthropod fiends!
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
May 17, 10:13 AM

Jul 2013
No...not that it matters because humans are worthless scum, too...
May 23, 1:17 AM

Nov 2020
I do but I think that’s a more recent change in my outlook. I especially hate the idea of having one die in water. Felt the need to push one out of the tub before taking a shower yesterday. Still find myself smashing some without thinking about it then feeling a little bad about it.
May 23, 2:11 AM

Sep 2016
outside of my home I'm a hippie pacifist (except for mosquitos), inside I'll kill any insect I spot instantly
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

May 25, 1:10 AM

Mar 2023
Insects and other bugs spreads diseases and can crawl inside you ear. From my point of view killing them is an act of self defence.
May 25, 1:23 AM

Dec 2021
It depends. As long as they aren't carpet beetles (The majority of the apartments I've been in have these fucking things) or spiders, I tend to have a lot of sympathy for them, and basically treat them like proper animals. Thankfully I have not had my views tainted on other commonly known pests, like cockroaches or stink bugs. Yes, cockroaches look cute to me purely because I have never had an infestation of them. I'll go a step further than some people here, and say that if I can tell that a mosquito is a male, I'll pick it up, since the male mosquitoes don't bite. (Fun fact, male mosquitoes are the ones with the fuzzy antennas. They're the friendly ones)

I'm also a bit of a pussy when it comes to killing bugs, so outside of killing spiders with bug spray (And again, carpet beetles. Fuck those things, on desensitized to their status as living creatures), I can never find it in myself to harm most insects, which unfortunately includes the ones that are in a less than survivable state.
Daviljoe193May 25, 1:30 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 25, 5:48 AM
Jul 2021
Simple answer? No

That doesn't mean I go around toying with them, like removing the wings of butterflies or something like that. But on the other hand, if I see Mosquito ffuking around me/my fam you can put money on the table that I'll try my very best to send him/her to baby mosquito jesus.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which of these 6 things matters most to you?

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

5 by Noboru »»
4 minutes ago

» What is one thing your country is famous for that you wish it wasn't ( 1 2 )

MadanielFL - Mar 31, 2023

59 by Noboru »»
24 minutes ago

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - May 2

46 by GumGumBalls »»
1 hour ago

» do you still live with your parents?

FruitPunchBaka - May 29

40 by ryan77999 »»
2 hours ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

64 by Daconator »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.