Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 5, 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Well, Rudeus tries his best to get Norn to open up more. Definitely not easy since she decided to become what she is.

Watching this episode was kinda sad...as Rudeus reflects on his own past life. Reflecting on their similarities, he can't forget his past. Episode felt like a character study for Norn and to some extent, Rudeus too. Still, I think a character like Norn isn't really uncommon these days in fantasy shows.

Dec 2021
Once again, the power of oniicahn prevails.

Yeah, it's nice that Rudeus cares about his sister, wanting her to avoid the same mistakes he made back in Japan. But more than anything, I feel like this should be a learning opportunity for her to, you know, forgive her own brother. Anyways, Rudeus looked pretty scary in some scenes, his eyes resembling Paul's. A beautifully directed episode; I had my doubts when the new director was announced, but this episode gave me some hope.

Norn really pissed me off this episode. Like, can't a guy be happy? If you didn't know, the person you admire, Paul, forgave Rudeus... shouldn't that be a sign for you to forgive him as well? Then she's mad that Rudeus was with another girl... oh boy, if only you knew what Paul was up to. I do kind of sympathize with her; being known only as someone's little sister is kind of annoying. But at least she finally admitted it: she doesn't know anything about him... SO STOP JUDGING HIM. At least they finally forgave each other and made up. Finally, things are back to normal.

An emotional episode, the first of many that will come this season, because yes, you read that next episode title right... we've made it...

TURNING POINT 3.

May 2020
There’s actually no reason to empathize with Norn tbh. So they could go and try and write all kinds of familiar scenarios saying how much her current self matches with that of Rudeus’ past self, or how much is she suffering just because people are kind of complementing or comparing her with her “virtuoso” brother. This is absolutely no reason to hate someone lol.

She was being an absolute nuisance just because the author wanted so. She hates her and people just can’t stop talking about him, so of course getting yourself shut inside your room is the only course of option there is right? It isn’t like Rudeus did anything different from what he was doing from the time she arrived here, but just because we watched her flashback and got to know life is hard even for kids, things went normal… as simple as that lol.
May 5, 8:31 AM

May 2020
another amazing episode
understood a lot about Norn and why she was the way she was
the writing is amazing
cant wait for the next episode

next episode is turning point 3
wtf
this is gonna be huge
wtf
cant wait

Some LN Extra Details (Volume 11 Chapter 4-5)

- Rudeus went into panic state at first when he heard Norn is shutting herself.
- Rudeus asked Linia and Pursena to follow him to make him looked more intimidating
- Linia mentioned Ghislaine when they were asked if they have a sibling/relative that has a lot more talent than them and often being compared to
- When Rudeus explained to Ariel on the situation, she immediately agrees to help him
- Rudeus remembered his brother used to often went to see him into his room, but he kept ignoring them. Then, he stopped coming after some time and his friends came next. Maybe that was arranged by his brother as well.
- Back then, Norn just hated Rudeus, but not scared of him.
- Norn hated her grandmother that insulted her father and mother when she did not met her expectations.
- Norn was jealous of Aisha who was able to lead two adults when travelling to Rudeus while none of them are listening to her.
- She think she might started to get scared of Rudeus when Ruijerd was telling her about him when they are travelling. The Rudeus he is telling and the one she saw did not match at all.
- Rudeus cold tone caused a fear on her when she was arguing with Aisha on taking the exam.
- She thought Rudeus might be angry or even hit her when she asked to stay on the dorm.
- Norn stayed with a demon girl named Marissa as dorm-mate. If she didn't met Ruijerd, she might have believed her grandmother that said demons were evil. She helped Norn alot in studies since she is joining in mid-semester.
- Rudeus had a different opinion on Norn now that she managed to got over the shut in incident herself, unlike him in his past life.
- He thought that if he was half as strong as Norn in his previously life, he might not get punched by his kind-hearted brother back then.

Differences from LN
- Sylphie is not there on the conversation after the classroom
- Rudeus was sitting at a chair when meeting Norn in her bedroom
Homura24May 5, 10:30 PM

May 5, 8:37 AM

Oct 2017
Norn is just a normal kid. Unlike Rudeus who reincarnated and learnt from his past mistake and Aisha who's absolutely brilliant and the most adorable thing ever, she's just plain ordinary and unlikable. So getting compared, while people having big expectations of her and taking it granted that she can do things easily cause she's Rudeus's sister while neglecting her hard work just pushed her past her limit and she broke down. Glad Rudeus was there for her and he also realised things about himself as well, even wanting to send a letter to his brother if Nanahoshi ever managed to get back. Emotional episode.
May 5, 8:39 AM

Jul 2017
As a younger sibling by over a decade who has had a tense relationship with my brother for a long time, I got really emotional watching this episode and could empathize so much with Norn and it hurt watching this from the other perspective too which was Rudeus'. It was emotional but an excellent episode as a whole and one of the best I think that this franchise has to offer from a characterization front.

I love the mix of POVs they gave to both Norn and Rudeus and focused on the struggles that each of them faced through in their respective pasts that made a situation like this very difficult and delicate to handle. Similar to what I have experienced, Norn experienced a bad past with Rudeus that led her to viewing him negatively but everyone else around her seems to praise him for everything, including the people she cared the most for in Paul and Ruijerd. Would have liked the little scene of Norn struggling in Millis with Aisha outdoing her in performances despite Norn being Zenith's child in a very strict environment, but everything else was fantastic and brutal to watch. Can also relate to Norn with how empty she felt at school briefly due to how much I was compared to my brother that it created an inferiority complex that hurt and was hard to overcome then. It wasn't like my brother was ever bad to me like Rudeus to Norn, but it still hurt and from a child's perspective, it was hard to get over. Especially when said older brother leaves and is gone for so long after to resolve anything.

More than anything, I love how Norn thought deeply about her relationship with Rudeus, and once she was considering a bit more of maybe her image of him being in a context that doesn't fit, and when she looked at Rudeus to see a resemblance of her father in him in their facial expressions about the struggles of handling delicate character conflicts like this, Norn put together the answer that her own brother couldn't and forgave him, willing to cry on his chest after all this time. I loved how much this detailed Norn's struggles and I love not only Rudeus wanted to do her best to support her and be the best big brother he desired to be as a kid in this world, but how much he credited Norn for overcoming her inner conflicts to not remain a shut-in forever and learn to forgive and make up, something he could never do in his past life.

And while many isekai stories love to discard the life of the main character's past, I love how this whole situation made Rudeus contemplate even more about the past and his brother, and how if he could have Norn's strength like now, he could have mended fences with them. He might not be able to ever do that, but I love the focus on wanting to write them a letter and thanking his family for everything if Nanahoshi ever ends up back home. That got me really emotional as well.

Excellent voice acting, phenomenal music used rightly in a subtle fashion, great storyboarding and direction with the usage of shots of Rudeus seeing his family out the window and Norn seeing Paul in Rudeus and overall, a cathartic ending to it all. I expected this to end after some more content was adapted so I'm glad that the anime staff let the moments here breathe more by purely focusing on Rudeus and Norn's emotions throughout the episode. It took me over a decade to be able to mend fences with my own brother so seeing moments like these just hit hundredfold more personally.

Turning Point 3 is next and I can't wait to see this story now officially kick into the next gear. Amazing episode this was though, would say my favorite of 2024 so far.
May 5, 8:48 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to Softhenic03
There’s actually no reason to empathize with Norn tbh. So they could go and try and write all kinds of familiar scenarios saying how much her current self matches with that of Rudeus’ past self, or how much is she suffering just because people are kind of complementing or comparing her with her “virtuoso” brother. This is absolutely no reason to hate someone lol.

She was being an absolute nuisance just because the author wanted so. She hates her and people just can’t stop talking about him, so of course getting yourself shut inside your room is the only course of option there is right? It isn’t like Rudeus did anything different from what he was doing from the time she arrived here, but just because we watched her flashback and got to know life is hard even for kids, things went normal… as simple as that lol.
@Softhenic03 I know this scenario in person way too often lmfao, especially with teachers and parents that put tons of pressure on them due to what their siblings or cousins were able to do that can guide them the wrong way, whether it is ditching school more often or much worse. It might not empathise with you but it can sure do with a lot of others.
May 5, 8:49 AM
Sep 2020
I was pretty bummed with all the lack of action in season 2 but it's episode like these which make you come back for more.
May 5, 8:49 AM
Nov 2020
its beautiful that if some characters can understand each other
May 5, 8:50 AM

Dec 2019
Episode was amazing and did such a good job in detailing Norn's struggles with herself and her relationship w/ rudeus, as well as Rudeus learning about himself more to be a better brother and reflect on wanting to send a letter to be on better terms with the family that cared for him in the past world. Directing was great, pacing was much better than anticipated and the music was peak. Best ep of s2 I would say.

Turning Point 3 is next!!!!
May 5, 8:51 AM

Mar 2021
I really loved this episode. Had me all moist and almost about to weep. The way they handled Rudeus's rage at the beginning and Norn's emotions in the latter half!! Just Brilliant!!

To anyone interested... Main staff who worked on this week's episode

Turning Point 3 next week!!!🥳🥳
V1P3R0PMay 5, 8:57 AM
May 5, 8:52 AM
Aug 2021
best ep of s2. I was tearing up a little at the end as a LN reader. 10/10 episode, thank you studio bind and all the people working on my s2. This is cinema.
May 5, 8:56 AM
Jun 2023
TURNING POINT 3 NEXT WTF?! OH HELL NAHHHH 😳
May 5, 8:57 AM

Feb 2021
So next episode is another the turning point, niceeee

This was a decent episode, they skipped some of the planning that they did for Redeus to sneak into the girls dorm, but they did that for the sake of time I suppose.

May 5, 8:59 AM
Feb 2021
I don't know why so far this ep has made me a little teary eyed, mushoku tensei always brings deep feelings and I hope they continue to express their feelings in every episode
May 5, 9:01 AM

Jul 2017
Rudeus needing to deal with Norn, and the first thing that he dealt with was her own class, trying to understand who caused her recluse. But it turns out that Rudeus himself is to blame for Norn adjusting to school life immediately, which acclimated to the fact that she's become a shut-in, just like his previous life. Sylphie tries to help, along with Linia and Pursena, but it becomes clear that Rudeus needs to settle the matter himself, infiltrating the girls' dormitory and seeing her face-to-face. Rudeus being reminded of his Hikikomori status with his older brother's advice to ignore him, now he's feeling the same with the positions swapped between him and Norn.

From Norn's POV, Rudeus getting mad at Paul back in Season 1 was because of the Turning Point of disappearance, which she could not understand. And as she grew up, her perceiving Rudeus as a threat, and even hearing from her classmates that he has done a great deal in Ranoa's University of Magic alongside Ariel, her discontentment for him only grew worse as everyone sings his praises. Even as she hears stories from Paul to Ruijerd about Rudeus, that fear is not misplaced, and his critical error for letting Norn be, supplements the fact that they're not just family, but a gravely misunderstood one, for two people who lived their worst lives before, coming together for reconciliation...partially resolved. But still, she's looking a lot better the next day, and Rudeus is rather relieved.

Turning Point 3, here we come...
May 5, 9:07 AM

May 2013
Turning point 3 next ep
Oh boy, here we go
May 5, 9:16 AM

Jan 2021
The pathos of the entire first half of the season depended on this episode, and they absolutely nailed it. I cried.
May 5, 9:17 AM
Aug 2019
They did justice the ln, Norn is one of the greatest character in MT if you don't think so the anime did something wrong. Best ep of whole s2
May 5, 9:18 AM

Dec 2023
This is why I love this show so much. The use of doors and drapes as ways to show their true feelings and past experiences is so well done.

If you didn't at least feel something in your heart from that scene, are you even human?

Me: "I love these slow paced episodes this season where everyone is winning. I wonder when it's going to start to pick back u..."

Next Episode: TURNING POINT 3

"OH SHIT!" (PTSD kicks in)
Autoparts_22May 5, 10:38 AM
May 5, 9:21 AM

Mar 2023
For how much build up Norn's case had, it really resolved itself rather easily.
May 5, 9:23 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to watsym
For how much build up Norn's case had, it really resolved itself rather easily.
@watsym I think thats a good thing. Rather than lettin it go too long or have Rudeus do a talk no jutsu speech to make everything better, its the subtle emotions and observations that makes Norn put pieces together. It shows how much she grew to think like this and be willing to make the first step in forgiving Rudy and accept him. It means more seeing Norn solve this by exploring her own feelings and thoughts and makes this way better
May 5, 9:24 AM

Aug 2020
This anime is the goat in world building. It felt so good watching Rudeus get over his own feelings of being a shut in.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
May 5, 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
Also, just figured out that episode 17 of season 1 was Rudeus reconciling with Paul, and episode 17 of this season is him reconciling with Norn. Both fantastic episodes, both highly impactful in my life in different ways, both got me really emotional. Kind of a cool coincidence.
May 5, 9:30 AM

Mar 2010
Twas touching but also kinda dull. lol

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 5, 9:33 AM

Mar 2015
feels kinda early for turning point 3, I hope they dont rush the shit out of it
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
May 5, 9:37 AM
Sep 2021
This was an emotional episode for both rudeus & Norn. Excited for next episode.
May 5, 9:37 AM
Feb 2024
Reminds me of episode 9, where we got close to the end and I look at the progress bar and I'm dumbfounded that that wasn't just five minutes. Looks like getting into your own head is a genetic Greyrat trait.
May 5, 9:41 AM

Nov 2023
We're going fast, it's going to surpass the manga probably
May 5, 9:42 AM
Oct 2016
Norn has been having a rough time ever since she arrived here. Rudy immediately springs into action upon hearing about Norn shutting herself away in her room. If anyone knows what those feelings are like its Rudy, as we've seen in his past life he shut himself away for a long time before his death. Rudy going on the war path in Norn classroom was very intense, he thought it was similar to his own past where bullying was the cause of the shutting away. But for Norn that wasn't the case, the realization Rudy had when he figured out it wasn't any bully but kind of himself causing Norn pain. Norn perspective in this episode really showed how awfully she'd been feeling, how ever since she got there and said her name all anyone wanted to bring up was Rudy. Constantly being compared to her genius brother wore down Norn self-esteem even than she already had been. Being the average kid in a family where everyone else is exceptional, that is what's afflicting Norn. The way Norn was feeling was very relatable for me so I was bawling my eyes out almost the entire time. No matter what happened she kept getting in her own head and mentally making things worse on herself. Looking back on how Paul and Rudy mended their relationship gave Norn the blueprint to get back up herself. No matter what you have to get back up and keep moving. Norn has some great role models in her family but she's gonna have to forge her own path. Rudy by her side can help her get the most out of her time here at school.
May 5, 9:42 AM

Jul 2017
Reply to Satoshi17
We're going fast, it's going to surpass the manga probably
@Satoshi17 More like the manga's going on forever. The school arc in the manga started in 2019 and it's basically just over an episode's worth of content ahead of the anime now. Anime will definitely be ahead of the manga at least for a while based on the manga's releases but might be behind by a little bit by the start of season 3 potentially.
May 5, 9:45 AM
Aug 2020
Man, that was great. I was hoping that the anime adaptation would deliver and so it did!
May 5, 9:46 AM
Oct 2019
How beautiful this episode is, man, how beautiful, this slower arc is so good, because the next one will just be crying
May 5, 9:51 AM

Sep 2022
Best episode of the season so far, with the Nanahoshi episode not far behind.

This really cements one of the reasons why I love Mushoku Tensei. When it presses the breaks, it's pretty slow, but when it goes full speed, it really goes FULL SPEED. And that's not even considering that next episode is a Turning Point episode!

Loved their reunion. The title of this episode is pretty fitting as well, as it refers to two people: Rudeus' past older brother who tried to get him out of his shell of being a shut-in, and now Rudeus himself, from Norn's perspective, who is also now in the same position as his past older brother. She sees that Rudeus isn't at all who she thought he'd be, she just thought she still resented him for hitting Paul back then.

Just as Paul's reunion with Rudy also happened in Episode 17 of Season 1, Rudy's proper reunion with Norn happens in Episode 17 of Season 2. It can't be a coincidence, can it?

Can't wait for Turning Point 3. Next week can't come any sooner!
Gremlin Eris be like:
May 5, 9:53 AM
Jan 2022
best episode so far not only in this season, but in the anime in general, it's incredible how much the trauma of the past follows you everywhere, and facing it is the hardest, norn achieved a feat release the sorrows, and in itself also coincides with rudeus, this episode was beautiful, melancholic and moving. 5/5
May 5, 9:54 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to animejas
@Satoshi17 More like the manga's going on forever. The school arc in the manga started in 2019 and it's basically just over an episode's worth of content ahead of the anime now. Anime will definitely be ahead of the manga at least for a while based on the manga's releases but might be behind by a little bit by the start of season 3 potentially.
@animejas i agree with you, this is one more reason to watch the anime.
May 5, 9:59 AM

Jul 2021
I had quite a long break from watching anime, and Mushoku Tensei is a series that definitely got me back into the hobby. Absolutely loved the episode. I'm not a light novel reader, so I don't really know what will happen in Turning Point 3, but god... After seeing him doing so well finally and all those happy and emotional moments... I'm scared.
May 5, 10:02 AM
Dec 2021
Made me tear up, beautiful themes
May 5, 10:03 AM
Jul 2020
I almost teared up... This was an amazing episode
May 5, 10:03 AM

Jun 2023
damn it that feeling. always in mushoku tensei there is that one episode that hits you hard almost had me in tears.
guess becoming a hikikomori is my biggest fear I cant imagine spending my life paranoid wasting my time rejecting everyone even myself not enjoying a sec hating myself and cursing my existence .
thats why I want to work hard and chase my dreams while being kind to others and even if I didnt succeed I will have the right to say I tried and failed
May 5, 10:05 AM

Feb 2019
Beautiful beautiful stuff. One of the best Mushoku episodes.

Things come full circle this episode for Rudeus and we get to see how much he’s grown and learned to empathise with how other people feel, something he lacked critically in his previous life. To really be able to understand others is what makes us human.

Rudeus can’t go back and change how he reacted to his older brother trying to bring him out of his room, but he can help his sister in the here and now. The episode title “my big brother’s feelings” is a nice double entendre referencing both Rudeus and his older brother from Earth as well. In a sense, he was able to convey those same feelings his brother had for him to Norn and it’s so beautiful.

You can’t really fault Norn for feeling confused about everyone heaping all this praise on her brother who at that point in her eyes, was just a dad beater/perv. But it shows tremendous mental fortitude and maturity for her to realise that maybe she didn’t know him at all and should give him a chance.

The flashbacks were lovely touches, and the voice acting and direction only served to heighten the emotional impact. Norn letting out that big cry at the end in her big brother’s embrace after seeing the same pain and broken look on Rudeus’ face that her father had.. just brilliant

Feels like Norn and Rudeus can finally start their sibling relationship now. So nice hearing her call him O-Nii-san by the end of the episode. Here’s to hoping Nanahoshi can one day convey those feelings of gratitude to Rudeus older brother

But the good times may be short lived as turning point 3 is coming next week. The next few Sundays are going to be insane.
Marinate1016May 5, 10:59 AM
May 5, 10:06 AM

Jan 2018
This was a touching point. Norn was going through the same thing Rudeus went through in his past life. Except the reason for it wasn't bullying but being constantly compared to her horrible brother. No wonder Rudeus couldn't do anything.

In the end, she was able to overcome it on her own. If only Rudeus could do the same in his past life too.

I wonder how Rudeus plans to give Nanahoshi a letter to send to his older brother. Like, from his brother's perspective, he's dead. It might seem like a cruel prank to him.

Next episode title means shit's probably gonna go down. I don't know what tho and I hope I won't get spoiled.
May 5, 10:11 AM

Jul 2017
amazing episode, also turning point 3 HYPEEE
May 5, 10:19 AM
Jul 2023
What a impactful and solemn episode this is. Greatness.
May 5, 10:21 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Emotions have been high lately with this series, definitely not something I’m against tho as this was another fantastic episode. While I do wish we got a bit more buildup to it, I did really like this Norn situation, it once again heavily involved Rudeus’ past life like Nanahoshi’s episode before, I really loved how they showed bits of the past throughout the confrontation with Norn, when Rudeus first opened the door it felt a bit haunting.

And although Norn’s situation was different than Rudeus’, the fact Norn saw it like how Paul was before ended up being what broke her out of her rough spell, very happy to see it and I look forward to seeing the two of them grow to understand each other more over time, especially after seeing how he never got to with his brother, hopefully if Nanahoshi ever gets to go back she can deliver that message, even if it would seem weird that some random high school girl tells him lol. And I knew it was coming, but they actually went and called the next episode turning point 3 lol, is something actually gonna happen on that scale just in the next episode? Man I’m gonna miss the school SoL stuff if this means we’re moving on.
May 5, 10:21 AM

Apr 2019
Another great episode, being compared to your older brother who can do everything must've been hard for her plus she hated Rudy since the first time they met considering how he was beating Paul to the ground when she first met Rudy. At least she somehow sorted her feelings and fixed her problem herself before it got worst, she finally learned to trust Rudeus.
May 5, 10:23 AM
May 2017
Very good episode!

The road of excess conducts to the palace of wisdom.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

Jan 2008
They should have cut out the opening to give the episode just a tad bit more like some skipped tidbits during Norn's inner monologuing and flashbacks. One thing I do think the anime kind of lacked was facial expressions and emotions. Resentment in Norn's eyes wasn't ever there whenever Rudues was brought up. Rudues unsure of what to do and anguished when Norn finally looked at his face but the anime he just looks like it was another day.

Regardless though, still the best episode episode so far of this season.
Dec 2023
Awesome 😎

I Have Watched Recently Ep 5 Of jobless Reincarnation. It was nice and emotional at last. I was very happy with the norn Decision to accept his brother whole heartedly ❤️‍🔥
I also appreciate the linia and puserno and sylphie to help rudues.....

I am Still Waiting for Next Episode 🎉
Hello Guys,

I have created my first ever club In MAL
If you are interested in joining my club...then you could join it.
Guys Help me for creating a club bigger and nice community.

Club Name :- Herioc Club Of Weebs

Thank you for Checking my Forum...
Have a nice day

Jul 2015
Another amazing episode.
Rudy clearly overreacted and made mistake by not immidietly talking with Norn. It is understandable, because he knows perfectly well how insidious bullying and mere prospect of Norn being bullied made his blood boil.
I love how Rusus realized he was wrong pre reincarnation by not accepting anyone's help by being literally on the same position his brother was before.

But what I love the most is how the title of this episode can be said by both Rudy and Norn.
PiromyslMay 5, 11:19 AM

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Whoever hated season 2 uptil now is about to witness the greatness of this series

saharsh082 - May 14

40 by AriBWeeb »»
1 hour ago

» Why do people attack Rudeus?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

25 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» ep 7/19 where?

Kitsune_089 - Yesterday

21 by aoo-kun »»
1 hour ago

» Would this season stretch out for too long if they covered everything?

Blazehot10 - May 17

14 by Nanami0007 »»
6 hours ago

» Roommate

Rayane-47 - May 17

11 by Nanami0007 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.