Forum Settings
Forums

Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

New
Apr 30, 9:19 AM

May 2019
I've come to a realization about myself that i can't deny anymore, i love 3D anime more than 2D anime, i know this may be shocking or sacrilegious to the anime purists but i have to be honest with myself in saying that i find myself watching and enjoying 3D anime a lot more than 2D anime.
Do you find it weird, normal, indifferent ?

Apr 30, 9:21 AM

Feb 2020
Not at all. We all have our own preferences. I also like some 3D anime a lot, like, BanG Dream! and D4DJ.

SerafosApr 30, 9:43 AM
Apr 30, 9:22 AM

Mar 2023
I have not seen enough 3D anime to come to that conclusion.
Apr 30, 9:26 AM

Aug 2012
Not a huge fan of 3D anime, but as long as you enjoy it, that's totally fine!
Also, I recommend you try out Pui Pui Molcar. It's the best 3D anime I've seen so far.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/44235/Pui_Pui_Molcar
Apr 30, 9:33 AM

Aug 2018
Anime is already weird as it is, so making it 3D doesn't make a difference.
Apr 30, 9:33 AM

Feb 2023
I sometimes have a problem with 3D if characters and faces are too stiff and not properly animated, because I'm not used to it. I generally appreciate 3D more than 2D when it comes to action though.
Some anime like Demon Slayer do a mix of 2D and 3D for some scenes. I think that's pretty cool.

Do have some examples what kind of 3D we're talking about?
VaturnaApr 30, 9:40 AM
Apr 30, 9:38 AM

May 2019
Reply to Vaturna
I sometimes have a problem with 3D if characters and faces are too stiff and not properly animated, because I'm not used to it. I generally appreciate 3D more than 2D when it comes to action though.
Some anime like Demon Slayer do a mix of 2D and 3D for some scenes. I think that's pretty cool.

Do have some examples what kind of 3D we're talking about?
@Vaturna Something like Saint Seiya Knights of the Zodiac, Final Fantasy Spirits Within, Dragon Quest Your Story, Starship Trooper Movies, Resident Evil Aanimated Movies, Appleseed movies, Gantz:0 and the rest of anime presented in these stacks. Basically anime that plays to the strengths of 3D and doesn't try to emulate the 2D aesthetic.

https://myanimelist.net/stacks/19876 https://myanimelist.net/stacks/30422
tchitchouanApr 30, 9:42 AM
Apr 30, 9:41 AM
Jun 2021
I've enjoyed both forms of animation, it's all really down to how well it's done.

I used to always prefer 2D until I started watching Girls Band Cry. Toei Animation definitely embraced 3D animation, making the characters super dynamic and detailed. On the other hand, Sanzigen's 3D (Bang Dream, D4DJ) makes the characters look like stiff dolls since I think they're trying to emulate 2D.
Apr 30, 9:42 AM

Jan 2013
You're not even remotely a typical anime user, so it's a moot point.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 30, 9:43 AM

May 2019
Reply to LostSpectre
You're not even remotely a typical anime user, so it's a moot point.
@LostSpectre yeah, that's a very apt description, my tastes are so far removed from the norm that i usually find myself alone in what i like and what i watch.
Apr 30, 9:43 AM

Jan 2009
sometimes i enjoy 3d anime more the action scenes are done so well but 3dcg saint seiya is so weak in action scenes though still enjoyable though

but the 3dcg movie of saint seiya is awesome
Apr 30, 9:44 AM

Jun 2019
Is it "weird" as in literally not the norm? Yes.

I don't agree with and reject the negative characterization and connotations that others attach to that word. Something being weird doesn't make it bad or good, right or wrong. It just literally makes it not the norm. And what constitutes the norm also isn't automatically good or bad, right or wrong. You're just referring to having a minority opinion or preference. The problem is the reflexive impulse toward negativity some people assign to that.

And when people self-identify as weird and therefore inherently inferior for being in the minority, it's just a psychological complex.
Apr 30, 9:49 AM

May 2019
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Is it "weird" as in literally not the norm? Yes.

I don't agree with and reject the negative characterization and connotations that others attach to that word. Something being weird doesn't make it bad or good, right or wrong. It just literally makes it not the norm. And what constitutes the norm also isn't automatically good or bad, right or wrong. You're just referring to having a minority opinion or preference. The problem is the reflexive impulse toward negativity some people assign to that.

And when people self-identify as weird and therefore inherently inferior for being in the minority, it's just a psychological complex.
@WatchTillTandava I just don't know, it seems very uncommon to me that anyone would share my preference for 3D anime over 2D. as the majority vastly prefers 2D anime and often shuns and ridicules 3D anime.
Apr 30, 10:00 AM

Jun 2019
tchitchouan said:
I just don't know, it seems very uncommon to me that anyone would share my preference for 3D anime over 2D. as the majority vastly prefers 2D anime and often shuns and ridicules 3D anime.

Well, my point wasn't that it isn't uncommon. I was questioning why that would be considered a bad thing (by you or anyone else) in the first place, for something to be uncommon. So what if you have an uncommon preference? You seem to consider that automatically bad or wrong.
Apr 30, 10:03 AM

May 2019
tchitchouan said:
I just don't know, it seems very uncommon to me that anyone would share my preference for 3D anime over 2D. as the majority vastly prefers 2D anime and often shuns and ridicules 3D anime.

Well, my point wasn't that it isn't uncommon. I was questioning why that would be considered a bad thing (by you or anyone else) in the first place, for something to be uncommon. So what if you have an uncommon preference? You seem to consider that automatically bad or wrong.
@WatchTillTandava No, i don't consider it bad or wrong as it is normal for me, but i'm wondering to which extent do other anime watchers agree or disagree with my uncommon preference.
Apr 30, 10:12 AM

Jun 2019
tchitchouan said:
No, i don't consider bad or wrong as it is normal for me, but i'm wondering to which extent do other anime watchers agree or disagree with my uncommon preference.

Oh. Then as someone who has uncommon views and preferences in various other respects, I'll just toss my hat into the ring and go on the record as saying that I definitely disagree with you on this one and more aligned with the majority view of it. Because I have always preferred traditional 2D animation to 3D CGI, within the realm of Western animation as well, and was really disgusted and disappointed years ago when a lot of American cartoons led by a trend that Disney and Pixar seemed to start in the 90s - early 2000s, began making everything into 3D CGI instead of regular animation. I liked the look of cartoons growing up which were 2D and so while I didn't mind the CGI animation occasionally as a novelty or in certain movies where it may be thought to work best, I emphatically didn't want it to replace the other and take over everything in the process.

And I suspect some anime viewers are the same in that sense - Westerners who grew up on and loving Western cartoons, disenchanted with how everything in the U.S. at least in the past 25 years or so seems increasingly hellbent on only and exclusively CGI productions. So are like refugees from the Western animation scene which has devolved into that and anime provided a nice refuge.
Apr 30, 10:26 AM

May 2019
tchitchouan said:
No, i don't consider bad or wrong as it is normal for me, but i'm wondering to which extent do other anime watchers agree or disagree with my uncommon preference.

Oh. Then as someone who has uncommon views and preferences in various other respects, I'll just toss my hat into the ring and go on the record as saying that I definitely disagree with you on this one and more aligned with the majority view of it. Because I have always preferred traditional 2D animation to 3D CGI, within the realm of Western animation as well, and was really disgusted and disappointed years ago when a lot of American cartoons led by a trend that Disney and Pixar seemed to start in the 90s - early 2000s, began making everything into 3D CGI instead of regular animation. I liked the look of cartoons growing up which were 2D and so while I didn't mind the CGI animation occasionally as a novelty or in certain movies where it may be thought to work best, I emphatically didn't want it to replace the other and take over everything in the process.

And I suspect some anime viewers are the same in that sense - Westerners who grew up on and loving Western cartoons, disenchanted with how everything in the U.S. at least in the past 25 years or so seems increasingly hellbent on only and exclusively CGI productions. So are like refugees from the Western animation scene which has devolved into that and anime provided a nice refuge.
@WatchTillTandava Yes, that is indeed a very valid point, cinematic 2D animation was very prevalent in western animation in the mid to late 20th century. with disney, warner bros and fox producing some spectacular 2D cartoon films, but with the development of 3D CGI in the early to late 90's and the big hit that was toy story, 2D animation suddenly felt "old fashioned" and casual film audiences started prioritizing 3D animated films over 2D, despite the fact that those 2D films looked more visually striking and artistic, but it was too late general consumer trends changed and back then only 3D could make a profit.

So yes i understand your sentiment and the sentiment of many western cartoon fans who flocked to anime as it became the only remaining vestige of high quality 2D animation who prefer 2D animation over 3D and in fact i agree with you anime is at its best when it's on a 2D plane, but what i also enjoy is that crispy 3D animation and modeling that only japan can make, it's hard to explain but i know you know that particular brand of japanese 3D quality that is super shiny and clean and vibrant that is mostly present in JRPG games and Anime games but as a full on stand alone anime which makes me love it even more.

tchitchouanApr 30, 10:33 AM
Apr 30, 10:29 AM

Sep 2016
I like 3D too, but only if it looks good, otherwise it's an eyesore (like ~95% of all 3DCGI in Anime)
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 30, 10:42 AM

Dec 2020
I'd certainly say it's weird, not in a bad way just that is very out of the norm. But if thats what you like then keep watching it :D
Apr 30, 10:45 AM

Jul 2017
Hmm, I think it kind of depends on what you mean specifically. “Liking 3D anime series more than 2D anime series” vs “liking the look of 3D over 2D when it comes to entertainment mediums just in general,” are two very different things in my opinion. I totally understand the latter, but I don't think I can’t relate to the former. So far, I personally haven't seen a 3D anime series that I genuinely thought was really good. But, either way, it’s totally fine since people have different tastes at the end of the day.

If we're only talking about the visual style of 3D, then I would say that liking the look of 3D over 2D isn't weird at all. There are tons of 3D video games that are loved by many people around the world, so I can see why one could say "3D art style > 2D art style." I consider the 3D look and character designs of Soul Calibur characters for example to be pretty great.

Apr 30, 10:52 AM

May 2019
Reply to kusairo
Hmm, I think it kind of depends on what you mean specifically. “Liking 3D anime series more than 2D anime series” vs “liking the look of 3D over 2D when it comes to entertainment mediums just in general,” are two very different things in my opinion. I totally understand the latter, but I don't think I can’t relate to the former. So far, I personally haven't seen a 3D anime series that I genuinely thought was really good. But, either way, it’s totally fine since people have different tastes at the end of the day.

If we're only talking about the visual style of 3D, then I would say that liking the look of 3D over 2D isn't weird at all. There are tons of 3D video games that are loved by many people around the world, so I can see why one could say "3D art style > 2D art style." I consider the 3D look and character designs of Soul Calibur characters for example to be pretty great.

@kusairo I'm not saying that 3D art is better than 2D art or viceversa, they both have their respective strengths and weaknesses. What i'm saying is i tend to gravitate to anime that are made in 3D rather than 2D because i find that aesthetic quite visually appealing to my eyes, now that doesn't mean i don't enjoy 2D, all my favorite anime are traditional 2D. it's just that the more anime i watch the more i like the 3D look and the less i enjoy the 2D look.

It's normal for people such as yourself not to relates, it is after a very niche and minority view that i'm sure 99% percent of anime viewers wouldn't be in favor of or be able to relate to. And you're right this aesthetic is vastly more prevalent in video games than it is in anime but i enjoy it a lot in both cases.

Apr 30, 10:53 AM

Jul 2017
If it looks good, I don't mind it either. Beastars is one I can think of immediately that looks great and the first season was really enjoyable with that. But most of the time personally, most CG-driven anime I've seen tendus to look really off and clunky for the most part. If it can have effort and quality put into it, think it can be good but I have just not seen enough of that to say I enjoy a majority of CG anime that much. Even that Lupin movie that was fully 3D didn't look too bad, just the story itself was not too great for me but again, not because of its visuals.
Apr 30, 11:00 AM

Aug 2021
It's not weird, I understand, there's a peculiar charm to it.

Apr 30, 11:04 AM

Oct 2023
Not that strange. I quite like how it looks (when done right) too.

There's a significant change in presentation when animation is done in 3D instead of 2D. The direction intrinsically has to be more cinematic in comparison to classical animation. I think most people have gripes with 3D animation when it's plastered over 2D stuff of higher quality.

By the way, how's the Saint Seiya remake? Is it an easy recommendation to someone who likes the original?
Apr 30, 11:04 AM

Apr 2021
Your taste is "unique" if i say it in a good way.
And if i say it in a bad way, yeah it feels weird to me. 3d anime always feels very uncomfortable to me. Even though i try to ignore it and focus on the story more.

Then again, you enjoy what you enjoy. Nobody has any right to question that unless you cause any harm.
Apr 30, 11:08 AM

May 2019
Reply to PlasticRobot
Not that strange. I quite like how it looks (when done right) too.

There's a significant change in presentation when animation is done in 3D instead of 2D. The direction intrinsically has to be more cinematic in comparison to classical animation. I think most people have gripes with 3D animation when it's plastered over 2D stuff of higher quality.

By the way, how's the Saint Seiya remake? Is it an easy recommendation to someone who likes the original?
@PlasticRobot It's certainly a lot more fast paced and close to the manga as it cuts all the filler episodes that were in the original, though it's certainly not for everyone because of some reasons like shun's gender change and some peculiar original additions and the fact it's made in 3D which may rub some fans of the original the wrong way, but if you're looking for a good time reliving the adventure of saint seiya knights, this anime does that just as well as the original.
Apr 30, 11:26 AM

Oct 2010
can't blame you, just look at that 3D ass

Apr 30, 11:28 AM

May 2019
Reply to Catalano
can't blame you, just look at that 3D ass

@Catalano OMG cute Phosphophyllite butt is so cute.
Apr 30, 11:34 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
If you were to poll the broader spectrum of people on if they prefer 2D or 3D animation, there would probably be quite a few saying 3D, as that's what's common for Disney and Pixar films after all. I enjoy 2D and 3D (especially early CG), but I am especially partial to animation using different different techniques and styles, e.g. paint on glass, stop motion using real objects, pixilation, ect.
Apr 30, 11:48 AM

May 2019
Reply to Kwanthemaster
If you were to poll the broader spectrum of people on if they prefer 2D or 3D animation, there would probably be quite a few saying 3D, as that's what's common for Disney and Pixar films after all. I enjoy 2D and 3D (especially early CG), but I am especially partial to animation using different different techniques and styles, e.g. paint on glass, stop motion using real objects, pixilation, ect.
@Kwanthemaster How early are we talking, transformers beast wars levels of earliness or some other later date like platonic chain ?

Apr 30, 11:53 AM

Jan 2022
CG anime could be the future if it stops being soulless.
Apr 30, 11:58 AM

May 2019
Reply to LenRea
CG anime could be the future if it stops being soulless.
@LenRea Yes, this is a very common criticism of CG anime that i see a lot on discussion forums and topic threads, but i do wonder what do people mean by souless ? is it that unnatural uncanny valley look that some 3D anime have like in the Gundam Igloo series ? Or something else ?

Apr 30, 12:29 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to tchitchouan
@Kwanthemaster How early are we talking, transformers beast wars levels of earliness or some other later date like platonic chain ?

@tchitchouan
Why not both? '90s-early 2000s is what I mean though.

e.g.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/17659/Gunnm_3D_Special
https://myanimelist.net/anime/53921/Fly_High
https://myanimelist.net/anime/51858/SiNK

Good energy, visually distinct. I do like plenty of newer CG too, but some of it honestly feels like a downgrade in terms of style and the dynamic movement.
Apr 30, 12:35 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to tchitchouan
@LenRea Yes, this is a very common criticism of CG anime that i see a lot on discussion forums and topic threads, but i do wonder what do people mean by souless ? is it that unnatural uncanny valley look that some 3D anime have like in the Gundam Igloo series ? Or something else ?

@tchitchouan Idk it's just unpleasant to look at it. I think if they're doing CGI they should use rotoscoping.
Apr 30, 12:36 PM

May 2019
Reply to Kwanthemaster
@tchitchouan
Why not both? '90s-early 2000s is what I mean though.

e.g.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/17659/Gunnm_3D_Special
https://myanimelist.net/anime/53921/Fly_High
https://myanimelist.net/anime/51858/SiNK

Good energy, visually distinct. I do like plenty of newer CG too, but some of it honestly feels like a downgrade in terms of style and the dynamic movement.
@Kwanthemaster Yes, i agree i've watched a lot of experimental and obscure 3D anime from the late 90's and early 2000's that have a very mysterious and dark aesthetic.

e.g.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2362/Run_Dim
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3463/ALICE
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2261/MaliceDoll

They are highly experimental and rough looking as this was as early as it gets for 3D anime but i still think they have some charm as they were pioneers in a brand new technique of making anime.

Most of them are listed in these two stacks.
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9474
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/30733
Apr 30, 12:39 PM

May 2019
Reply to LenRea
@tchitchouan Idk it's just unpleasant to look at it. I think if they're doing CGI they should use rotoscoping.
@LenRea Like the movie scanner darkly to give off that realistic and slightly off putting real human motion ?

Apr 30, 12:48 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to mshfqtny
And if i say it in a bad way, yeah it feels weird to me. 3d anime always feels very uncomfortable to me. Even though i try to ignore it and focus on the story more.

Then again, you enjoy what you enjoy. Nobody has any right to question that unless you cause any harm.
mshfqtny said:

Pretty much agreed for the most part, but I'm generally okay/fine with 3D/CG anime as long it doesn't seem "out or place" or jank of sort
May 1, 2:44 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yes,
I'll just be bold, you are a weirdo and a sinner...

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥

More topics from this board

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - 45 minutes ago

2 by Phosphophyllita »»
1 minute ago

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 1 hour ago

13 by Euhi »»
3 minutes ago

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

43 by Gashadokur0 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

59 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 12 hours ago

24 by Daviljoe193 »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.