Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 12:53 PM
Jan 2021
It has been 20 years since this came out and apparently this was considered a masterpiece and was very popular. I finally decided to check it out and…the anime community standards were so low back then?
Shallow characters, non existent and inconclusive plot, incest, boring harem tropes and poorly made fan service with way too much screen time. All it took to blind everyone was some nudity and gore?
If you have rated this more than a 3 or 4 I highly encourage you to rewatch it and valuate if it’s really worthy of a higher score than that. It may be a good opportunity to have a laugh and remember the old days.
To all who have not watched this yet, stay away from it please, even with very low expectations it is not worth it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 29, 1:04 PM

Jul 2015
There were no tourists within anime community back then.

Apr 29, 1:09 PM
Feb 2022
I just found this show kinda weird and disturbing, nothing that special about it imo
Apr 29, 1:09 PM
Dec 2020
because people dont watch old anime anymore, and Mal doesn't count your score in the first 2 eps
Apr 29, 1:17 PM
Jan 2022
because the greater world of anime connoisseurs who viewed this fine anime, do not share your opinion
Apr 29, 1:18 PM
Feb 2022
so you'd prefer it if everyone who watched this show change their rating of it to a "0.01" or just a basic "1"?
Apr 29, 1:18 PM
Oct 2016
Nowadays people only watch isekai, which is much worse than elfen lied
Apr 29, 1:26 PM

Jan 2013
That's just like, your opinion, man.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 29, 1:27 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to BenjaminDover
so you'd prefer it if everyone who watched this show change their rating of it to a "0.01" or just a basic "1"?
@BenjaminDover change it to whatever you feel more appropriate :)
Apr 29, 1:28 PM

Sep 2016
It's a good show and better than most other stuff of that time, the inconclusive ending is actually a big upside, it would have been worse if the whole story was adapted.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 29, 1:28 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to LostSpectre
That's just like, your opinion, man.
@LostSpectre nice reference.
I would like to hear yours about elfen lied.
Do you recollect it as a 7/10 show?
Apr 29, 1:30 PM
Mar 2024
I discovered this one when I used to work at a church
Apr 29, 1:30 PM
Feb 2024
the ost alone is worth a high score, but the actual writing is great despite the obviously 'strange' traits of the show. not everything has to be so fast paced or isekai esque, to me this is art
Apr 29, 1:38 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to wishtales
the ost alone is worth a high score, but the actual writing is great despite the obviously 'strange' traits of the show. not everything has to be so fast paced or isekai esque, to me this is art
@wishtales i guess art really is subjective, if it's been a while since you saw it i find hard to believe that after a rewatch you'd still consider the writing or pace of the show "great".
Apr 29, 1:41 PM
Mar 2024
i think the anime was very realistic in the sense of characters didnt know what to do. like, they were uni students and their state of constant shock was what you would expect from a real person. itwas very fucked up and characters are acting acordingly to it. altough admitingly the first few episodes were boring because of that realism and the story was kind of a slow burn.
Apr 29, 1:41 PM
Aug 2016
idk, I rewatched it recently, and for me it was still good, I enjoyed my time rewatching it, didn't get bored at all
Apr 29, 1:43 PM
Jan 2022
Dirittoprocedura said:
It has been 20 years since this came out and apparently this was considered a masterpiece and was very popular. I finally decided to check it out and…the anime community standards were so low back then?
Shallow characters, non existent and inconclusive plot, incest, boring harem tropes and poorly made fan service with way too much screen time. All it took to blind everyone was some nudity and gore?
If you have rated this more than a 3 or 4 I highly encourage you to rewatch it and valuate if it’s really worthy of a higher score than that. It may be a good opportunity to have a laugh and remember the old days.
To all who have not watched this yet, stay away from it please, even with very low expectations it is not worth it.

It's just like with Future Diary, Akame Ga Kill the "I am 14 and this is deep" category. Mindless characters, killing the cast just for the sake of it. It's carried too much by nostalgia and the fact that it was something different back then and honestly, I agree with you. It's so edgy in a forceful and bad way.
Apr 29, 1:48 PM
Aug 2021
Seems like it became a trend to over hate this show.
I always and still loved the first ep.
Then about the rest I was like “whaat the … is this” from the beginning.
But I never thought it should be trashed.
It’s just boring.
Apr 29, 1:48 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to Oogoid
i think the anime was very realistic in the sense of characters didnt know what to do. like, they were uni students and their state of constant shock was what you would expect from a real person. itwas very fucked up and characters are acting acordingly to it. altough admitingly the first few episodes were boring because of that realism and the story was kind of a slow burn.
@Oogoid i found the characters to be very chill and nonchalant about everything happening around them. Once the protagonist finds out lucy's the one who killed his family he goes "nooooo" and three scene later kiss her because he loves her since they had so much fun one day at the zoo...like, huh?! Idk it didn't look realistic at all to me, more like over the top or dumb for the sake of edginess or poorly made comedy.
Apr 29, 1:51 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to Tomi3b
Dirittoprocedura said:

It's just like with Future Diary, Akame Ga Kill the "I am 14 and this is deep" category. Mindless characters, killing the cast just for the sake of it. It's carried too much by nostalgia and the fact that it was something different back then and honestly, I agree with you. It's so edgy in a forceful and bad way.
@Tomi3b now that I have completed all the three of them way after the peak of their popularity era I can say that the other two at least had something going one for them, maybe more akame than mirai; this had nothing under its flashy gore surface.
Apr 29, 1:56 PM

Oct 2010
I have watched it 3 times all the way through, and was an adult all 3 times. The first time was in 2009 and it was the first thing I gave a 10/10 here on MAL. I watched it again a couple years later to show it to one of my friends and more recently watched it in 2019. It’s still a 10/10. This series explores the depth of human emotion, and the entire series is about pain and sorrow. It showcases that the world is a cruel and unforgiving place, yet we still must go on living. If you don’t “get it” that’s one thing, I’m guessing you probably have a much higher opinion of cookie-cutter Shounen anime than I do, and it’s ok to like them. But your criticisms of this series are not objective truths.
"Do you want me to take you away... to a place in this city where wishes come true?"
Apr 29, 2:08 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to DarttheLegend
I have watched it 3 times all the way through, and was an adult all 3 times. The first time was in 2009 and it was the first thing I gave a 10/10 here on MAL. I watched it again a couple years later to show it to one of my friends and more recently watched it in 2019. It’s still a 10/10. This series explores the depth of human emotion, and the entire series is about pain and sorrow. It showcases that the world is a cruel and unforgiving place, yet we still must go on living. If you don’t “get it” that’s one thing, I’m guessing you probably have a much higher opinion of cookie-cutter Shounen anime than I do, and it’s ok to like them. But your criticisms of this series are not objective truths.
@DarttheLegend true my criticisms are not objective truths, but the same goes for your praises. I get where the show was trying to go theme wise, i just think it threw those themes there and never tried to develop on them. The only good arc exploring properly such mature themes was the one of the professor that had to kill his daughter in my opinion.
Glad that you enjoyed it though.
Apr 29, 2:16 PM
Jun 2022
This is a product of its time. 7.5 is just a avaraged grade of mass viewer, this is not exact grade. But your post shows that the anime brought you some emotions. Because you could put 1 as a score and go further, but you sat and wrote a post about it and answer for commentatord. So as a fictional story this product was, is, and will be good. Because anything has its own message, sometimes not that understandable
Apr 29, 2:19 PM
Sep 2023
just went and changed my score to a 10 to try and get it a bit higher.
Apr 29, 2:23 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to TeRaPeVt
This is a product of its time. 7.5 is just a avaraged grade of mass viewer, this is not exact grade. But your post shows that the anime brought you some emotions. Because you could put 1 as a score and go further, but you sat and wrote a post about it and answer for commentatord. So as a fictional story this product was, is, and will be good. Because anything has its own message, sometimes not that understandable
@TeRaPeVt the SAT guy was so over the top that it made me giggle everytime he was on screen. I'm not sure that was what the producers wanted though.
DirittoproceduraApr 29, 2:29 PM
Apr 29, 2:28 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Thread locked for breaking the Anime Discussion Guidelines:
2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. An example includes:
    e. MAL community data
      e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
      e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
      e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

430 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
May 10, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

84 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 10:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.