Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 29, 10:41 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Marsen-P
@Ryushindai

@LyLord

This season is really rushed. There is no arc, only episodic stories. But hey, we are 1/3 in the season and theres the local, regional AND national contests to do... not forgetting the summer training camp... there's just too many damn thing to put in a single season. If they dont finish it, seeing how unpopular it is, I am guessing there wont be any sequels.

Scary...
@Marsen-P They won't show local/regional I'd assume, it would be boring to see them perform the same exact song 3 times. Maybe they can do 1 song for either local/regional and show just the second song for the nationals, at most. Overall don't expect more than 10-15 minutes in total for all stage performances.

They only have 2 volumes to cover from the LN, which is same as what season 2 covered in terms of length, so they'll be fine
Apr 29, 10:53 AM

Nov 2019
Not seeing the fest performance ruined my day. I am really worried for this show now.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 29, 12:17 PM

Jul 2016
Aww man I really wanted to see the Sunrise Fes performance because I really like the Kitauji costumes. A big shame tbh.

The story for this episode is really sweet. I'm glad to see Sapphire-senpai take a bigger role in this episode.

I had a funny feeling I recognized the song they were playing on the Cello. Then I remembered that the opening song of La cordo d'Oro samples it. Damn that was a throwback. Good anime about music too surprisingly enough.

It seems we are sticking to an episodic structure until we hit the arc with Mayu. Probably next week since this episode actually gave her more than one scene. That being two scenes yes but that is more than one.
raisin-kunMay 1, 10:46 AM
Apr 29, 3:32 PM

Mar 2020
The Sunrise Festival comes and goes, and Motomu goes through some troubling times...

Given all the buildup, I'm sure some were frustrated that they did not show the Sunrise Festival performance, not even a slideshow of it, but I have to say that in the grand scheme of what this season is trying to achieve, I'm not that put off by it. Rather, it was nice to see some background on Motomu, who always felt like a troubled kid. I also love him and Midori's dynamic, and seeing him say that she reminds him of his sister, who passed away, honestly had me a little emotional. While I don't think KyoAni or the Hibike franchise is flawless in its execution of melodrama, I think it worked here, at least for me, and that's largely because of how KyoAni makes things feel so beautiful in the technical areas. I do admit the pacing is a bit fast, but it's nothing that has bothered me much at all so far, and I still continue to have high hopes for the rest of the season.
Apr 29, 6:58 PM

May 2021
Reply to Marsen-P
@nonukez

I saw the ranking on reddit of most watched anime of the season, hibike being 12th, way behind no-name shows. Not forgetting the show started almost 10 years ago, which is old, and this is the S3 after movies and stuff, I wouldnt be surprised Kyoani didnt want to commit to much money on a 18 or 24ep season or sequels.

But please, if you have any statistics about the box office of the movies or the bluray/dvd sales, let me know about it. I couldnt find much info.
@Marsen-P Those are still western statistics, it does have a dedicated fanbase here regardless.
Well, it is not the most popular KyoAni work, it has good blu-ray sales but what's most important is that the staff loves this, its basically a passion project for them and it does not make losses either so they will continue it if they need to. I also think they have something for the 10th anniversary next year so look forward to more Hibike.
As for Box Office, Chikai no Finale made a bit over 3 million USD and Liz and The Blue Bird did about 1 million on Box Office and Blu ray sales were above 20k for both movies.
Apr 29, 10:51 PM

Feb 2011
Reply to DanielDLJ
I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. Could someone please indicate the name of the song that was played at the end of the episode on the violoncello by Midori and Motomu?
@DanielDLJ Salut d'Amour
Apr 30, 1:46 AM

Feb 2019
Legitimately one of my fave episodes of Hibike. Again, Kumiko uses the skills she’s learnt over the past few years to problem solve. This time it’s with Mutomu who is dealing with the stress of facing off against his grandfather’s band.

I like that the main conflict didn’t revolve around him disappointing his grandad, failing to live up to expectations or anything cliche like that, but instead it’s the the loss of his sister and not wanting to be in the same position she was with people putting all their success on nepotism.

In the end, Motomu made the right decision. Staying where he is in a place that allows him to develop as an individual and that’s accepted him as part of the family. He also is back talking to his granddad which is good.

Kanade is quickly rising up my fave character list in the series. I think they’re positioning her well to be club prez one day. Her seiyuu sells those cheeky smart ass comments she makes so well too. She and Midori senpai were the two MVPs of the episode with all they did for Motomu imo.

Only complaint I have with the ep is that we didn’t get to see them play at sunrise 😭 I guess they wanna save the performance stuff for regionals and nationals but damn.

Also, Kumiko reading Reina with the whole “Kousaka senpai is an angel” thing was so cute lol.
Marinate1016Apr 30, 1:53 AM
Apr 30, 9:38 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Cool duet to closed the episode!!!
kekeke
Apr 30, 10:25 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to IamXale
That taxi scene was an absolute flex and I'm all for it.
IamXale said:
That taxi scene was an absolute flex and I'm all for it.

I could not believe it. It's such a simple talking scene in front of a train station, but they put in so much care to make it beautiful and meaningful. It's the little things that really set them apart, huh?
Apr 30, 11:05 AM
Mar 2020
Can anyone spoil me whether Hazuki will play at the competition or not? I'm honestly very worried about this girl, this girl CAN'T catch a break since the 1st season.

Like, she was dumped, got beaten by her junior & sacrificed her time for the club while getting nothing in return. If she somehow still didn't get to play and has the same fate as Kabe, she's practically wasted her high school youth and years, she'd better off joined tennis club instead and probably will have better time.

She's on the OP and is shown playing though (And Tsubame too) and so far the OP has been accurate to show whos playing and whos not (Didn't see Kanade or Mirei though for some reason, but we gotta have at least 2 tuba)

But yeah, any insight would help, I can't find the spoiler anywhere.
Apr 30, 3:16 PM

Apr 2015
Sad to not be able to see them playing on Sunrise Festival
Apr 30, 4:37 PM

Dec 2020
The animation in this episode and throughout the series has been immaculate. However I'm not sure I'm loving the direction this series is taking. 4 episodes in and we have heard essentially no music, the Sunrise festival was not shown at all (even though there was a lot of development and improvement shown for it). This season so far feels so melodramatic, with a different issue every episode about characters that, quite frankly, I don't care about. I loved the characters from the first two seasons, but these new ones just feel like add ons and I feel no connection to them I dont know if anyone else feels the same. The next few episodes need more music and we need to see the relationship and dynamic between kumiko and the new eupho girl grow through them playing music and the competition. The reason why the first two seasons are so good is because the music and the development of the music is perfectly crafted and the characters are unique and memorable and they are introduced and constructed in such a way that they feel 3d. With kumiko in the new role as the president i understand that she is now linked with eveything and the dynamic of how she interacts with events has changed but i feel like there now has to be a focus on the music in the next few episodes and hopefully a relationship development between kumiko and shuichi, a focus on the eupho girl and kumiko, seeing the old characters again, reina closure with taki, kumiko and her sister closure scene, and obviously kitauji winning gold.

Would love to hear any thoughts from people about the show so far and their hopes for the rest of the seaosn.

NarujoeApr 30, 4:40 PM
May 1, 8:14 AM

Feb 2021
It's a bit weird why Motomu-kun is the focus of this episode when we literally have Sunrise freaking Festival. Can't believe they just skip the whole thing. I guess it makes a little bit of sense, since literally Motomu's introduction in the movie is him getting angry for getting called his family name... maybe? I don't know, his case just doesn't feel as important as Asuka's and even back then her arc really lasted for too long (compared to other characters). I'd rather they focus on, you know, the new girl who just transferred and has this last boss aura around her? Maybe we're finally entering the REAL arc with SunFes done, but before that, it's Agata matsuri time.

So we're gonna have a sakuga shot at the end of every single episode? Hey, they're beautifully done, I can't complain. Just hoping it won't become too old when the most important moment happens.

God I fucking hate Kanade. Wish she would just shut up and let Mayu speak instead.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 1, 8:17 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to nonukez
I'm surprised at some of the people's reaction to this episode.

This episode was centered around Motomu, but he wasn't the focus. This season is about the band stiving to win at nationals of course, but it (and the whole show) is about Kumiko, and in this season it's about Kumiko's role as president and her struggle to overcome her insecurities as a leader (as well as balancing school and club life, thinking about the future, etc). Motomu himself was on the screen maybe 1/4th of the episode, and his story is really just a means to show Kumiko's growth as president.

In the last episode, she had a suspicion that something was wrong, but it took Suzume approaching her to tell her what's going on, and Ririka presenting the opportunity for her to step in. This time, she and Midori took the initiative to get more information and try to resolve the situation themselves. She's growing as a leader.

If anything, compare this to the Nozomi and Mizore arc, when Kumiko was there but didn't have any impact whatsoever. Yes, in the end it ties back to Kumiko, but it was mostly four episodes centered around these two characters, and they were the focus.

Skipping SunFes is disappointing, but it's completely understandable. It's an event that's inconsequential to the goal of winning nationals, and thematically it's unimportant to the story that the new first years have gotten better (and we already know that the main cast is skilled). Reina's clearly a strict but competent leader; her leadership is not her struggle, therefore the results of her instructions are not nearly as important as Kumiko's.

I agree that it'd be nice if they spread out the last year into two cours, but considering that we're not, the decisions made in this episode made sense to me.
nonukez said:
This episode was centered around Motomu, but he wasn't the focus.
But he is the focus. I get that we're probably entering the real arc with the audition just around the corner after agata matsuri, but Motomu's "drama" feels like it doesn't add anything for the band and plot.

Regarding Nozomi and Mizore arc, Asuka called Kumiko out on that. So it was meant to be that way.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 1, 9:41 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Narujoe
The animation in this episode and throughout the series has been immaculate. However I'm not sure I'm loving the direction this series is taking. 4 episodes in and we have heard essentially no music, the Sunrise festival was not shown at all (even though there was a lot of development and improvement shown for it). This season so far feels so melodramatic, with a different issue every episode about characters that, quite frankly, I don't care about. I loved the characters from the first two seasons, but these new ones just feel like add ons and I feel no connection to them I dont know if anyone else feels the same. The next few episodes need more music and we need to see the relationship and dynamic between kumiko and the new eupho girl grow through them playing music and the competition. The reason why the first two seasons are so good is because the music and the development of the music is perfectly crafted and the characters are unique and memorable and they are introduced and constructed in such a way that they feel 3d. With kumiko in the new role as the president i understand that she is now linked with eveything and the dynamic of how she interacts with events has changed but i feel like there now has to be a focus on the music in the next few episodes and hopefully a relationship development between kumiko and shuichi, a focus on the eupho girl and kumiko, seeing the old characters again, reina closure with taki, kumiko and her sister closure scene, and obviously kitauji winning gold.

Would love to hear any thoughts from people about the show so far and their hopes for the rest of the seaosn.

Narujoe said:
4 episodes in and we have heard essentially no music, the Sunrise festival was not shown at all (even though there was a lot of development and improvement shown for it)

Yeah, I was sad too that we missed out on the Sunrise performance. But we did see that before, twice in fact. We can't blame them if they wanted to skip it and do something else this time.

As for the "something else" that we did get, yeah, it does not feel very important in the grand scheme of things. But I think slice-of-life episodes with minor characters are par for the course for this anime. The previous seasons had a lot of those; there was that girl who left the club to focus on her studies, the club president feeling insecure about her leadership, the teacher's past marriage, and the Nozomi/Mizore drama, to a certain degree (which I felt at the time was way too long, tacked-on and "melodramatic," as you put it).

Even if she again ended up not doing that much in the end, I really liked seeing Kumiko proactively tackle the problem and give definitive advice and support. Last time it was on the club dynamic, and this time it was on personal matters. It was endearing to see her character growth and a new side of her. And I think this is what they wanted to spend a bit more time on. She can't just focus on playing the euphonium anymore.

Narujoe said:
but i feel like there now has to be a focus on the music in the next few episodes

As sad as it is, there's a possibility that we may not get as much music this time as in the previous seasons. Kumiko's relationship with music and her journey to become better are topics that have already been covered extensively, and they may not be interested in exploring them further. There's always a danger of becoming stale, too.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Maybe Mayu can mix things up on the musical side of things.

Narujoe said:
any thoughts from people about the show so far and their hopes for the rest of the seaosn.

I would definitely not be okay if there are still many more episodes to come focusing on minor characters, but I enjoyed this little moment in the concert band life.

Even if they cut down on the music a bit, I fully expect them to do a lavish Nationals performance sequence, and I won't accept anything less.
May 1, 3:00 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to perseii
Narujoe said:
4 episodes in and we have heard essentially no music, the Sunrise festival was not shown at all (even though there was a lot of development and improvement shown for it)

Yeah, I was sad too that we missed out on the Sunrise performance. But we did see that before, twice in fact. We can't blame them if they wanted to skip it and do something else this time.

As for the "something else" that we did get, yeah, it does not feel very important in the grand scheme of things. But I think slice-of-life episodes with minor characters are par for the course for this anime. The previous seasons had a lot of those; there was that girl who left the club to focus on her studies, the club president feeling insecure about her leadership, the teacher's past marriage, and the Nozomi/Mizore drama, to a certain degree (which I felt at the time was way too long, tacked-on and "melodramatic," as you put it).

Even if she again ended up not doing that much in the end, I really liked seeing Kumiko proactively tackle the problem and give definitive advice and support. Last time it was on the club dynamic, and this time it was on personal matters. It was endearing to see her character growth and a new side of her. And I think this is what they wanted to spend a bit more time on. She can't just focus on playing the euphonium anymore.

Narujoe said:
but i feel like there now has to be a focus on the music in the next few episodes

As sad as it is, there's a possibility that we may not get as much music this time as in the previous seasons. Kumiko's relationship with music and her journey to become better are topics that have already been covered extensively, and they may not be interested in exploring them further. There's always a danger of becoming stale, too.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Maybe Mayu can mix things up on the musical side of things.

Narujoe said:
any thoughts from people about the show so far and their hopes for the rest of the seaosn.

I would definitely not be okay if there are still many more episodes to come focusing on minor characters, but I enjoyed this little moment in the concert band life.

Even if they cut down on the music a bit, I fully expect them to do a lavish Nationals performance sequence, and I won't accept anything less.
@perseii Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I can understand them skipping the whole sunrise performance but even 10 seconds would have been nice to hear. Kumiko in the president role is set to come with her dealing with peoples personal issues and i too do enjoy seeing this side of her but i feel like in the first two season peoples issues directly related to the club and they were woven into the narrative more smoothly, these ones in this season feel like stand alone events, unrelated to the club narrative.

What im expecting and maybe hoping to see if mayu buing potentially better than kumiko at the eupho and that being the drama kind of like reina and kaori in the first season. I want to see kumiko and shuichi romance resolution thats been left unanswered from the film. Also would i said it already but i think seeing the old characters again and a big emotional scene with kumiko and her sister would be perfect. Would also like to hear kumiko playing the eupho, like asuka did in the end of that one ep in s2, that was beautiful. What would you like to see?
May 1, 5:30 PM

Jul 2016
Well, there goes my Motomu x Midori ship...

Anyways, reward or punishment? We got robbed of the SunFes performance after all that buildup but instead got one of the best character stories in all Hibike Euphonium. Motomu's backstory was really moving and the duet he played with Midori at the end was so beautiful it almost made me shed a tear.
May 2, 1:38 AM

Dec 2014
No SunFes performance is unfortunate, though I do like the character growth that occurred in the episode that then led to a very nice duet.
May 2, 10:45 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Narujoe
@perseii Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I can understand them skipping the whole sunrise performance but even 10 seconds would have been nice to hear. Kumiko in the president role is set to come with her dealing with peoples personal issues and i too do enjoy seeing this side of her but i feel like in the first two season peoples issues directly related to the club and they were woven into the narrative more smoothly, these ones in this season feel like stand alone events, unrelated to the club narrative.

What im expecting and maybe hoping to see if mayu buing potentially better than kumiko at the eupho and that being the drama kind of like reina and kaori in the first season. I want to see kumiko and shuichi romance resolution thats been left unanswered from the film. Also would i said it already but i think seeing the old characters again and a big emotional scene with kumiko and her sister would be perfect. Would also like to hear kumiko playing the eupho, like asuka did in the end of that one ep in s2, that was beautiful. What would you like to see?
Narujoe said:
these ones in this season feel like stand alone events, unrelated to the club narrative.

I can see what you mean. At least it was a chance for Midori to get more involved in club matters. She actually did something this time, other than just showing up for practice. And their duet in the end brought it all back to their love of music and playing together, which is what it's all about.

I'm also very much looking forward to Mayu challenging Kumiko in some way.

I feel like they're done with the Shuuichi romance, unless they spend a lot of time building that back up. Personally I wasn't that into their relationship (I don't think Kumiko was either).

I thought Kumiko and her sister already had a good arc and a good resolution. I really liked their awkward goodbye where they shouted "love you, sis" at each other.

Of course I'd love to hear Kumiko play, and I'm sure it's coming. It would be absolute poetry if Kumiko could share a moment like "Asuka playing for Kumiko on the riverbank" with someone again, this time with Kumiko playing.
May 2, 1:32 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to perseii
Narujoe said:
these ones in this season feel like stand alone events, unrelated to the club narrative.

I can see what you mean. At least it was a chance for Midori to get more involved in club matters. She actually did something this time, other than just showing up for practice. And their duet in the end brought it all back to their love of music and playing together, which is what it's all about.

I'm also very much looking forward to Mayu challenging Kumiko in some way.

I feel like they're done with the Shuuichi romance, unless they spend a lot of time building that back up. Personally I wasn't that into their relationship (I don't think Kumiko was either).

I thought Kumiko and her sister already had a good arc and a good resolution. I really liked their awkward goodbye where they shouted "love you, sis" at each other.

Of course I'd love to hear Kumiko play, and I'm sure it's coming. It would be absolute poetry if Kumiko could share a moment like "Asuka playing for Kumiko on the riverbank" with someone again, this time with Kumiko playing.
@perseii That episode with asuka and kumiko is my favourite episode of the whole show, apart from maybe the episode where they play crescent moon dance in full.
May 3, 3:55 AM
Sep 2016
Motomu's issue got resolved fairly easily. I would be happier if how Kumiko earned Motomu's trust was elaborated more. But how could they totally skip the SunFes performance?? That's unforgivable.
May 3, 7:14 AM
Jun 2023
No Sunfest but the Motomu lore was good.
May 4, 8:52 AM
May 2021
This episode makes me want to play omori again
May 4, 11:47 AM

Sep 2017
Fuck man Kyoani does lighting and shadows like no other. The scene with the car headlight passing and shining on Kumiko's face is incredible. Wish we coulda got to hear them play at sunfest tho. But I suppose as long as we get to hear the full performance of their nationals piece (or like 85% of it) I'll be satisfied.
May 6, 7:14 AM

Jul 2021
idk if its because i've been binging dbz for the past few days but watching this episode felt like the studio was flexing their animation skills. everything looked so beautiful.

@ineser it would be repititive. we;ve seen it in previous season. they want to show new stuff and the drama. performances isn't a priority unless its from competition i think

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 13, 8:24 AM

Oct 2017
They really couldn't spare a few minutes for the sunfes performance. Don't care about the character drama for random characters.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 12

55 by Pinoffin »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 4

85 by Shikkakku »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 2

106 by Shikkakku »»
Today, 2:21 AM

» I love Kumiko, but...

mufarari - May 12

23 by TanedaKaori »»
Yesterday, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - May 5

89 by ricky78 »»
May 14, 5:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.