Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 27, 7:27 AM
Aug 2022
Kafka He need to show his true strength.
0% power extracted for real!!
At least he was able to extract 0.01 % power of the suit.
Mina She's watching the test , man he must somehow win this.
Kikoru she's humiliating/teasing kafka more. I hope this doesn't happen from now on.
"Forget my name" line from Kafka to kikoru is really hilarious 😂 lol.
Ricky16Apr 27, 7:39 AM

Dec 2021
Kikoru and Kafka don't get along much, but I find their dynamic interesting.

Kikoru, curious about the scent of Kaiju emanating from Kafka, receives an explanation from Leno Ichikawa: they both toil at a Kaiju disposal firm. As Kafka effortlessly rights a toppled van, Kikoru is taken aback, realizing he likely possesses a private chamber akin to hers. Seizing the moment to introduce himself, Kafka impresses upon Kikoru not to overlook his name. Taking a lighthearted jab, Kikoru shares her initial intent of attending the exam as a rite of passage, but hints at the potential for amusement by teasing Kafka about making a fool of him. Departing, Kikoru's departure stirs Leno's ire towards Kafka for employing his abilities, prompting Kafka to clarify that he only transformed hidden parts, attempting to assuage Leno's frustration.

It's cool that the main character doesn't instantly unlock the suit's full power but relies on his Kaiju knowledge instead. I think this arc will end with Kafka using his Kaiju abilities to save someone. The Defense Force suits are made from Kaiju muscle fibers, which might not work well for Kafka because he's part Kaiju himself. I wonder what will happen when he transforms. It's also nice to see Kafka thinking fast and not being totally helpless. I bet one of the top fitness exam performers will join the squad eventually. But I'm still not sold on Shinomiya; she becomes even more unlikeable in this episode.

Here comes the classic "never give up" motivation, a staple for every shounen MC. Just wouldn't be shounen without it.

Nov 2011
Kikoru teasing Kafka is priceless. Just when he thought his troubles were over, she's here!

This episode showed how powerful Kikoru is based on her stats and reptuation. Already at the talents of a platoon leader. On the other hand, they made Kafka look like a fool LOL. Mina was watching this so Kafka wanted to also make an impression. Even at combat 0%, it looks like Kafka tries his hardest. Kikoru really made him look like a loser that it just looked sad to me, not even funny anymore.

I do admire his determination though.

Jun 2020
0.01%. Way to go! Kafka!!!

May 2020
Way to leave an impression on a girl literally half your age. But trust me, this is just the start, as this man would continue humiliating himself going forward, and we’re talking about for a very LONG time here.

Anyways, unnecessary screaming and unfunny humour still being holding this series from all fronts aside, this episode kind of shows why characters like Kikoru are so insufferable in this series. Not that the main guy actually doesn’t deserve to be ridiculed, but hey, we need not to be so proactive about that lol.

By the way, the author wrote her as a perfect ojou-sama character, being the polar opposite of our main guy, and then he doesn’t stop at his attempts of competing them against each other, which is actually ridiculous and the worst part. Anyways, as usual Kafka sucked hard in the neutralization task, though at least he was able to guide others.. the only thing he could’ve done.

So yeah, that was kind of embarrassing when Kafka was told to be retired lol. But yeah, being the main guy, you're just not programmed that way.
Apr 27, 7:42 AM
Aug 2020
Kafka is a real shonen character

I love the spirit

Last chapter was also so good
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 27, 7:49 AM

Mar 2023
"They worked hard I shouldn't use my power while competing", while everyone doing their best with their talents. MC is purely half-assing his abilities and as a result he is ridiculed. Oh how shallowy noble of him to try and compete on "equal footing".

Apr 27, 8:02 AM

Feb 2021
The twitter livestream didn't have subs this time for some reason

"Sebasu" lol
Huh, I thought that Kafka will be 100% because he's part-Kaiju, interesting.
怪獣 (kaijuu lit. mysterious beast)
余獣 (yojuu lit. other/surplus beast)
本獣 (honjuu lit. origin beast)
Kikoru not wanting anyone to quit is kinda nice. Even if it's probably just to make her examination results look coller lol.
Nice episode. I guess Kafka's combat power will be growing at a super fast pace from now.
Apr 27, 8:10 AM

Jul 2017
That was very bog-standard and fairly boring as a whole, not too much happened here in 20+ minutes.
Apr 27, 8:17 AM

Jan 2009
kafka is so sad and painful to watch on how talentless he is
Apr 27, 8:22 AM
Sep 2015
Dozen of men in skin-tight suit is the moment I've been waiting for. The fitness test result is strange, we know the name of rank 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th but not 4th, could that be Ichikawa?
Apr 27, 8:33 AM

Jun 2014
Kikoru shows off her prodigy status with a combat power of 46%, meanwhile it was pretty obvious that Kafka would be at 0% right after the proctor said he has never seen such a thing before lol. Even then, Kafka is doing his best in a supporting role despite stinking his way through this exam so far. It's his last chance so even being brutally injured he won't give up, and he somehow managed to draw out 0.01% of his combat power. Better than nothing I guess, let's see how that turns things around.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 27, 8:36 AM
Sep 2021
Kafka is determined to pass the exam, but a lot of hindrances stand his way.
Apr 27, 8:39 AM
Jul 2023
A battle shounen protagonist in his 30s certainly offers some interesting perspective, how his knowledge become one of his main advantages against stronger and faster candidates and how his experiences mold him into the person he is at the present.
Apr 27, 8:39 AM

May 2016
That was the most disappointing episode ever.
No powers? Big L I don't want to see some plot armor bullshit about somehow moving with organ failure and a broken leg
Apr 27, 8:43 AM

May 2020
pretty good episode
felt like 5 minutes
cant wait for more

Apr 27, 8:45 AM

Jul 2017
Kikoru may have made an impression on Kafka, and both examinees are out for each other's blood. But this time, the latter will not give up on his final dream to become a Defense Force Kaiju exterminator.

The 2nd round of the tests is not proving strategic for Kafka, embarrassingly failing his fitness exam tests without his Kaiju powers. With many promising candidates applying to the Defense Force, competition is very tough. Part of the reason why Reno applied for Kaiju corpse removal is for the aptitiude test, though Mina's 3rd Division's vice-captain Soshiro Hoshina has a rather different test for them: the extermination of Kaiju instead.

Oh wow lol, Kafka doesn't have combat power, but the final test of rid of a Honju and numerous Yoju to test their combat, this is a rather serious test that pits everyone on whether they're Defense Force level or not. This encourages Kafka all the more that Mina is also assessing them, and both he and Reno give it their all. Even at the cusp of nearly getting killed by a Yoju, Kikoru exerts her domainance more, and Hoshina recommends that Kafka drop out due to his injuries. Despite that, he wants to keep going, exerting his Kaiju powers bit by bit.

Push through your limitations, Kafka. No one else can do it but yourself.
Apr 27, 8:46 AM
Nov 2023
Kafka has two options:

1. Use his Kaijū powers to have a chance at passing the exam, but also a chance at getting killed on the spot
  2. Admit defeat (and maybe try to help the defence force secretly)

Honestly, things are looking down for him.
Apr 27, 8:48 AM

Oct 2020
I'm so proud of Kafka not to give up on his dreams.
Apr 27, 8:51 AM

Apr 2012
well, that went from 0 to 0.01.....
i was expecting 100%
Apr 27, 8:53 AM

Jun 2020
Oh, I think being genius is actually different with having good physical condition, but it's fiction so whatever.
Welp, that's very shounen protagonist vibe right here. The narration and everything just described it. Trying to stand up or even walking with broken leg must be really hurt, so I wish Kafka a good luck.
Apr 27, 8:53 AM
Jun 2022
Broo its funny and interesting at the same time
Apr 27, 8:55 AM

Dec 2023
Kafka is about to power up like MHA Deku in the next episode isn't he?
Apr 27, 8:55 AM

Jun 2015
Why do they need soldiers? Why not just put the weapons on the drones? It's not like the soldiers are punching and kicking the Kaiju or anything.
Read Toriko!
Apr 27, 8:56 AM

Jan 2018
Oof. Kafka is doing way worse than I expected him to do. Being in your 30s certainly isn't looking appealing to me...

Man, this episode passed by so fast. That cliffhanger was so good. Can't wait for the next episode. This anime is awesome.
Apr 27, 8:59 AM
Aug 2020
So far, nothing interesting happens. I hope this exam will not be all like this.
Apr 27, 9:01 AM

Jun 2021
This is the so called "32 year old protagonist" that many were praising this series for. Like literally there is no difference between classic 14 year old shounen protagonist and Kafka.

Anyway, the episode was fine still watchable with some fun moments.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Apr 27, 9:01 AM

Jul 2016
0.01% has never felt this huge of a number before.

Don't know which I respect about the dude more—that he didn't use his powers even once, or that he can endure all that smugness lol
Apr 27, 9:04 AM

Jun 2019
Let's gooo... my boy Kafka. I support you fully. You can do it. Show them your resolve. I'm so impressed with it so far. Kikoru is cute and funny. I like her. Hopefully, Kafka will be able to show them off. I don't want him to quit this time. You got this.
Apr 27, 9:10 AM
Jan 2021
Lmao Shinomiya is a brat, but also a riot xD
Apr 27, 9:20 AM
Oct 2016
Kafka is having a rough go at this, which seems to be the story of his life. Turns out the second phase of the testing won't just be cleanup like Reno and Kafka thought it would be. Throwing the new recruits into some actual combat is definitely the best way to train them since that's what they'll be facing in the field, if not worse. The power suits they wear I still don't quite understand, I guess they enhance your combat abilities. But how does it calculate the combat abilities I have no idea. What sucks for Kafka is he's at zero, looks like the only way he's passing this is to tap into his kaiju powers without fully transforming or something. Kikuro is naturally excelling as the young prodigy she is, with the highest combat abilities in the suit. Kafka is gonna have to get his stuff together if he wants to pass against this tough group of recruits.
Apr 27, 9:21 AM
Nov 2022
seriously what is this , this is a shit ep
Apr 27, 9:38 AM

Jan 2019
What a garbage episode.

Whole episode filled with annoying kids, if I wanted to see that, I would go watch Sword Art Online. The whole premise is about a guy becoming a Kaiju, why waste an episode pretending he wouldn't do so? I mean the guy openly lifts a car with his strength and in actual tests, despite constantly under-performing, keeps being a cuck.

Great, after 20 mins of him pretending to not use his powers because "ALL THOSE KIDS WORKED HARD", he's going to in the next episode. Amazing, we came full circle, wasted an episode, and things which everyone knew would happen, will happen.

It's impressive how garbage writing can ruin the flow of a story instantly. I enjoyed the first two episodes, and now they shat this out. Feels like a filler episode.
Apr 27, 9:43 AM

Apr 2011
It's eye opening just how impatient some of you lot are. It has to be going at 120% at all times for you to be even remotely interested. No need for characterisation or world building or anything. Just non-stop action, at all times.
Apr 27, 10:13 AM
Dec 2019
Drop.
This adaptation is garbage, because although they are staying faithful to the manga, it must be taken into consideration that they have only just animated part of chapter 6 of the manga, but there are chapters that are 13 pages long.
This entire chapter was filler trash. It was literally filler trash. Everything that had happened between this chapter and the previous one should have been condensed into chapter 2 and this chapter should have been, straight up, a battle against the kaiju coming now. That's how it should have been, because this manga should be much faster. In the manga, how far along are they? In chapter 106. I'm not expecting them to animate from here to chapter 106, or 120, 130 to alongside the manga but what I'm expecting is that, at the very least, they reach the first arc of fights. At this pace, they're going to have to make a 24 episode anime to do that but this anime is 12 episodes long so….
I had high expectations for this anime bc I love the manga but Production I.G. fucked this one.
Apr 27, 10:15 AM

Apr 2021
This humor falls completely flat for me, it undermines every ounce of seriousness. Especially insufferable was the Vice-Commander's crying laughter after seeing Kafkas zero percent.

And I get that Shinomiya has probably big problems and insecurities that leads her to dunking multiple times on a guy double her age and there was a little remark she made as nobody was watching that shows she just puts on a big facade, but the balance is way off. She is just such a nuisance to watch.
Apr 27, 10:17 AM
Senpai

May 2021
So much fun, omg!
Hyped for the next one.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 27, 10:23 AM
Dec 2013
Got My Hero Academia S1 Ep 4 vibes from this episode.

So far, liking this show more than Undead Unluck. Fuck that show.
wildhoodApr 27, 1:35 PM
Apr 27, 10:35 AM
Jun 2014
Manga readers are being teased.
Apr 27, 10:51 AM

Feb 2019
Getting serious Asta vibes from Kafka. Might be the weakest in terms of natural combat ability, but has a monster inside of em, refuses to give up and has his mind set on his goal. Loud like Asta too lol.

When the proctor said no one had ever only had 0 percent combat power, I knew Kafka would be the first. Despite that, he still went into the exam confident and refused to quit even after getting his ass beat by a Yoju. Our boy’s at .01 percent combat power now.. it ain’t much, but it’s a start. Obviously at some point he’ll start integrating his Kaiju abilities into his suit. But even without that, his resiliency caught Mina’s eye and probably took her back to when they were kids.

Outside of that, Kikoru kinda carried the episode. Cute, hilarious and ridiculously overpowered. Seeing her effortlessly take out Yoju and sail through the exam was cool, plus she saved Kafka’s ass for a third time. She’s gonna have to be humbled at some point you’d imagine though.

NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY GOT YOU THE WAY I DO. Idc call it generic, Onerepublic make bops and the ED is a summer anthem
Marinate1016Apr 27, 11:33 AM
Apr 27, 10:56 AM

Nov 2021
This episode was crazy good.. it literally flew by in like 5 minutes. I want to binge the rest of the episodes so badly now
Apr 27, 10:58 AM
Mar 2023
How does this vote work? There's to many percent! XD
Apr 27, 10:58 AM

Mar 2021
That blonde girl def had an awful first impression but is redeeming herself, partly cuz Kafka was able to turn over his own car so no lasting damage. Also, ofc she studied in America, it's so fitting. The exam makes it a bit *too* obv who the main characters are, at least introduce a couple candidates set up to fail but who garner audience sympathy and seem like they just might make it.

The comedy is so ageist and yet so funny, and the proctor's laughter makes it gold. Somehow I didn't notice the fangs before! Also, obv the "elite talented young 4" are in the top 5 in the fitness test while the old man is in the bottom 10, but what about the newbie? Where did he stand?
Apr 27, 11:33 AM
Sep 2016
Lame!! Kafka should have used his ability.
Apr 27, 11:37 AM

Jan 2014
I would really feel embarrassed if I was in the position of Kafka. Though, Ichikawa still respect him as a senpai after all his blunders.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Apr 27, 11:43 AM
May 2023
Ngl this episode felt like it was 5-10 mins not 20
Apr 27, 11:50 AM
Jan 2021
Why is the MC not using his own Kaijuu powers when the suit that gave everyone powers didn't work on him? I hate these kind of dumb decisions. Such a cheap way of building tension.
Apr 27, 11:52 AM
Sep 2023
devil_fruit_user said:
Lame!! Kafka should have used his ability.

How could he use his power when everybody was watching?He will be disqualified immediately if they find out that he is a kaiju.

@JoaoNeto11 For you too
Rom-Com_loverApr 27, 12:10 PM
Apr 27, 12:05 PM
Sep 2023
NB_Tenchy said:
Manga readers are being teased.

Did you even read the manga properly?
Apr 27, 12:09 PM

Jan 2021
0.01 percent of his power made me JUMP!!!!!! what a power up....
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» So we agree that Kafka's "8" form is sexy, right?

VanVeleca - Today

38 by PRIYANSHU332 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

deg - Apr 20

232 by Dillemon »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

otakuweek - May 11

133 by Groman »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Lowkey who else thinks this anime is hilarious as F?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 14

41 by deg »»
Today, 8:02 AM

» I don't think some understand Kafka as a character.

MasterHavik - May 12

38 by Icceman »»
Today, 12:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.