Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 22, 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
Holo is just adorable when hanging on to Lawrence. She's really come to depend on him in this journey.

I do also find it unique that this episode took place at mostly nighttime. Holo led the way this time with her quick wits and thinking. Even this early, it seems Lawrence trusts on her a partnership level. Quite a tense episode compared to some of the others.
Apr 22, 9:57 AM

May 2020
It must feel something else to be in a conversation with someone, who you know, is trying to scam you lol. Though we know, Lawrence wouldn't have let that go by doing nothing, so be it something in a prim and proper manner, and something which Zheren could also guess, Lawrence just simply went to Milone trading company and let them know about Zheren and his scams. I’d say that’s the safest way to deal with this.

I liked how much Holo and Lawrence got closer to each other, in a period of mere four episodes. She was genuinely sad when Lawrence mentioned his dream of opening a shop, as that’d mean they’d no longer be able to travel together:( But that is not going to happen, as this promise is here to stay. Loved the tonal shift as well in the midst of everything, I mean how they went from thinking they had Zheren to literally ended up getting chased by his pals at Medio trading company.

Now as far as foiling Zheren’s schemes go, we’re good, but man, Holo is there with them. That’s even worse than getting scammed out of everything. First real serious episode here, I mean that ending with the letter just kind of doubly made sure that.. and of course we know, with whose appearance.
Apr 22, 9:59 AM

Dec 2021
Finally, things between Holo and Lawrence took a romantic turn, lol.

Thanks to Holo's advice, Lawrence was able to see through the scheme of Zheren's proposed silver coin rounding. Seeking to benefit from this scheme, he passed on information to Richten Marlheit, the manager of the Milone Trading Company’s Pazzio branch, and enlisted his cooperation. While Lawrence rejoices, feeling closer to his dream of owning his own shop with the profits from this deal, Holo's expression seems somewhat lonely.

Shortly after, masked men from Medio attempt to ambush them in their room. They escape to the Milone Company's offices, but Holo is captured while distracting the attackers, allowing Lawrence to flee to safety. Seeking refuge with his Milone associates, Lawrence asks for Marlheit's help. While sympathetic, Marlheit explains that Milone has no contractual obligation or financial incentive to provide further assistance, especially since it can thwart Medio's plan independently.

Things are... spicing up

Apr 22, 11:34 AM

Aug 2017
Lawrence comforting Holo was heartwarming to see! Who wouldn't do that after seeing her sad.

Again Holo being sharp and saving Lawrence, but unfortunately this time Medio have captured her and no choice for Lawrence but to reveal the truth to Milone company. Love the tension!
Apr 22, 11:53 AM
Nov 2016
Reply to Softhenic03
It must feel something else to be in a conversation with someone, who you know, is trying to scam you lol. Though we know, Lawrence wouldn't have let that go by doing nothing, so be it something in a prim and proper manner, and something which Zheren could also guess, Lawrence just simply went to Milone trading company and let them know about Zheren and his scams. I’d say that’s the safest way to deal with this.

I liked how much Holo and Lawrence got closer to each other, in a period of mere four episodes. She was genuinely sad when Lawrence mentioned his dream of opening a shop, as that’d mean they’d no longer be able to travel together:( But that is not going to happen, as this promise is here to stay. Loved the tonal shift as well in the midst of everything, I mean how they went from thinking they had Zheren to literally ended up getting chased by his pals at Medio trading company.

Now as far as foiling Zheren’s schemes go, we’re good, but man, Holo is there with them. That’s even worse than getting scammed out of everything. First real serious episode here, I mean that ending with the letter just kind of doubly made sure that.. and of course we know, with whose appearance.
@Softhenic03
".. and of course we know, with whose appearance."

Who's appearance? I forgot about the OG series.😅
Apr 22, 12:03 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Wise to involve the authorities in dealing with the guy's plot. Holo will certainly miss Lawrence if he sets down roots for sure. For long lived people i guess their innermost fears always outliving their friends and family. Sending assassins after him was the logical choice from the enemies POV. The song that played as Holo decoyed the assassins away really matched that scene perfectly. Curious at what would happen next in their fight.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 12:06 PM

Jul 2017
Best episode of this version of Spice and Wolf so far. Animation iwasn't quite great again with the chase looking a bit awkward but the storyboarding was solid as a whole, the drama and tension rose throughout quite effectively and it was good seeing plenty of time given to the characterization of Holo and her inner conflicts of loneliness when thinking about Lawrence potentially leaving her once he gets the money to open his store once and for all, leaving his spot as her traveling companion in the process considering how long she has lived away from Yoitsu and not seeing her own friends and companions for way too long in the process. Lawrence luckily managed to read the room and comfort her when it was needed. As far as their dynamic goes, this was a key episode in showing development and growth for them and Holo's character as mentioned before. It's even more tense knowing now that Holo's been captured to be handed to the Church and that Lawrence has had to reveal the truth of his traveling companion's identity to the Medio Trading Company and Marlheit.

I do prefer the original's version compared to this for the music being more effective in creating a tense atmosphere and the overall direction (especially with Kraft and Holo's scene at the inn with Holo venting about her loneliness) besides me preferring the older artstyle, but regardless, this was still a fairly good showing overall for a key episode. I had my issues with the writing as the series went on in the books for the 6 that I have read of this series, but I did really like the first volume and watching this is reminding me why I felt that way.
Apr 22, 12:18 PM

Jan 2018
Lawrence wants to have a store and settle down. Of course, Holo doesn't want that. She wants Lawrence to accompany her at least to her home. It really sucked to see Holo sad like that. Thankfully, Lawrence comforted and reassured her that he won't be settling down anytime soon. The scene that followed was sweet but was cut short.

I wonder if Lawrence and Holo bit off more than they could chew. That cliffhanger was huge. Can't wait for the next episode. Actually, I might just start watching the original series now. This series has interested me enough to do so.
Apr 22, 12:37 PM

Jan 2023
Holo and Lawrence grow quite a bit closer this week, when one shares her past and worries and the other his dream.
On the other hand, the plot thickens, and despite an optimistic start to the episode, Lawrence and Holo soon find themselves in a very difficult position.

That music, when they're being chased, and the one right before their separation, both really gave me the feels, great job!
Loved all the tension (Lawrence anxiety at the end about Holo's situation is very well acted and shown) and action in this one, looking forward to next week!
A really good episode in my book :)
Apr 22, 12:58 PM
Apr 2023
se viene lo bueno señoreesss agarrense
Apr 22, 1:08 PM

Feb 2014
Lawrence's main goal is to be able to open up a store, which is a nice dream to have, but as of right now, it's something that Holo doesn't want. It was a sweet moment between the pair as Lawrence was there to reassure her that his goal won't be happening anytime soon and that he'll help her towards getting her home.

Sadly, that sweet moment was cut short by the arrival of assassins from a rival trading company who're after them both. Holo took the risky role as playing the bait herself so that Lawrence could get to the Milone Trading Company, which was a success. Despite that, his worry for Holo did show when he was talking to Marlheit, which was well placed as she did get captured.

The tension was done well and the episode did end on a cliffhanger that has me wanting more.
Apr 22, 1:14 PM
Jul 2022
nice anime 10/10 so good
Apr 22, 1:17 PM

Jul 2014
Way better episode than last time. We got to see their relationship grow and how relationships in general could just be for benefits at some point, like the thing that happened with the company. Also her secret is exposed already , good luck at this point lol
Apr 22, 1:20 PM
Apr 2021
Really great episode.
I absolutely love how they use Holo's ears to better express and convey emotion as opposed to the original which just has static ears which barely move.
It kind of reminds me of how they make the eyes on Spider-Man's mask move so there's more expression. They really don't need to, but the fact they do makes it just so much better.
I mean really though, there's some REAL effort put into this adaptation.

Apr 22, 1:27 PM
Senpai

May 2021
Well that escalated quickly. He just wanted to sleep haha.
Hyped for the next episode.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 22, 1:41 PM
Jul 2019
I cannot be happier about the sheer quality of this reboot. I like that they added more subtle touches as well.
Apr 22, 2:06 PM

Mar 2023
The chase was their first easier opportunity to one up the OG and I think they did.
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Feb 2019
The look on Holo face when Lawrence told her not to make that face again and that he wouldn’t open a store yet and would continue to stay with her saved my life. She’s beyond cute.

But I also really appreciate the moment of vulnerability she shared with Lawrence. She’s normally so composed and this all knowing wise deity, but that’s just a mask for her insecurities and trauma. She’s just as human as anyone else with her own wants and fears.

“I’m tired of being alone” just resonated so much with me, so much pain and agony in that line. Seeing her breakdown and just bawl her eyes out like that was rough, but at least Lawrence was there to comfort her. It’s a shame that moment got interrupted by the trading company goons..

Speaking of which, Holo being the bait and allowing herself to get captured so that Lawrence could escape and because she knew he’d come back for her.. just wow, you run out of words to describe how great a waifu she is. A gamble that we know will pay off, but it’ll be interesting to see how..

I don’t think that old friend she was talking about at the beginning of the ep was just a coincidence, probably going to be him behind everything based on her reaction at the end. Can’t wait for next ep
Marinate1016Apr 22, 2:44 PM
Apr 22, 2:15 PM

May 2021
Things were indeed going a bit too well that I was beginning to wonder if there's any conflict. Well, here it is. Seems like she's met someone from her past. Lawrence and Holo may have potentially misunderstood the purpose of those hooligans.

Apr 22, 3:04 PM

Jun 2015
AWW poor Holo!!! She's sick of being alone and we see the dreaded curse of immortality and why in some shows people call it a curse instead of a blessing. "Loneliness is a disease that leads to death." Her VA is doing such an amazing job! I feel like it's even better than what she for the first adaptation. She's gotten better for sure. Damn Passione! They've somehow managed to make Holo even cuter than she was!

THEY TOOK OUR WOLF!!!!! NAUR!!!
Read Toriko!
Apr 22, 3:46 PM
Oct 2016
Holo making a big sacrifice giving herself up so that Lawrence could make it to safety. They've found themselves in a tough spot being caught in this grander scheme than originally thought. This is much bigger than just some guy going around tricking people, we have whole trading companies and members of the nobility involved. Lawrence through no real fault other than trying not uncover why this is happening has painted a target on his back. With a trading company having people buy up this silver coin when its value is actually decreasing so that when those people sell it back the trading company makes a big profit. That could be disastrous for a lot of merchants which would leave that trading company in an advantageous position. Lawrence and Holo got a little too close to the fire by sniffing out what was going on. They did have a very heartwarming scene of Lawrence telling Holo what his dream of opening a shop is about, Holo not wanting to be alone anymore was very sad. I'm glad that Lawrence comforted her and held her close. Making their separation even tougher, Holo being thrown in a dungeon by this rival trading company hired thugs. Lawrence got left out to dry by the trading company he thought would help them so he's gonna have to save Holo on his own.
Apr 22, 5:17 PM

Apr 2022
holo opening up nice, also sake ftw.
Apr 22, 5:32 PM

Jul 2022
Things got intense. I didn't expect to see Holo being so sentimental and revealing her feelings. It was really beautiful to watch, yet sad, quite touching overall.

What I didn't like is that she had to sacrifice herself so he could escape. At least it will give us a bit more of a storyline, but I hope he rescues her soon.

I didn't expect the guys from the merchant company to pull a fast one, but at least they kept talking and gave him shelter for now against the damn ones from the other company. Now they know that Holo is the incarnation of the fertility wolf.
Apr 22, 6:06 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Wasn’t expecting things to take this kind of turn at the start of this silver coin arc, but I guess it makes sense giving the scale of the scheme they were cracking open, those bastards are gonna pay for cutting that cute Holo moment short lol. But they didn’t stop there, after forcing Holo to act as a decoy for Lawrence to escape they now have her captured and it seems like Holo knows the captor, it makes me wonder if it’s really the trading company doing this, or what their true goal is, if the captor knows Holo I imagine it has to do with her. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how Lawrence tackles this.

Besides the intense stuff, I also wanted to mention the moment Holo and Lawrence shared in the room, we not only learned that Lawrence’s dream is to own his own store, but also that Holo isn’t just a cute wolf deity, she’s been dealing with loneliness for a very long time and doesn’t want to return to it, that scene of her crying into Lawrence’s arms was nicely done, I know it was a sad scene but I also found it makes her more human.
Apr 22, 7:09 PM

Feb 2010
excellent episode, i feel like the romantic tension is more developed or something than the same stage in the first anime (maybe i'm just forgetful)

the only bad side were the characters models changing a bit too much from frame to frame, also bad drawings, but well it's to be expected, i don't mind that much at this stage, the background and lighting works were correct to nice, and there weren't appalling wide shots like in the previous episodes

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
Apr 22, 7:20 PM
May 2017
Until now, Passione has been making a great job.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 22, 7:24 PM
May 2017
Reply to lighthalzen-kun
excellent episode, i feel like the romantic tension is more developed or something than the same stage in the first anime (maybe i'm just forgetful)

the only bad side were the characters models changing a bit too much from frame to frame, also bad drawings, but well it's to be expected, i don't mind that much at this stage, the background and lighting works were correct to nice, and there weren't appalling wide shots like in the previous episodes
@lighthalzen-kun The previous anime adaptation was more behaved in this sense.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 22, 7:54 PM
Jun 2012
Poor Holo. Her words hit me hard this episode.
She still finds time to tease Lawrence though.

I am curious. Are there any first time / anime only watchers?
How are you finding the anime so far?
Apr 22, 8:05 PM

Jul 2016
Damn Medio people. Just when Lawrence was getting comfortable...

Best episode so far. Scene with Lawrence comforting Holo was great and OST was on point once again. Looking forward to next week.
Apr 22, 8:13 PM

Sep 2018
This is just as good as the original for me, damn that emotional scene was well done.
Apr 22, 8:33 PM

Mar 2007
After that Holo montage it's official. He's in love. Man has no chance. He's now going to do everything in his power to save her.
Apr 22, 9:39 PM
Mar 2015
The wolf is in peril
Apr 22, 9:59 PM
Aug 2021
is it me or the animation quality is going down? bad proportions, low detail....
feels like it is not on par with the original. :s
Apr 22, 10:58 PM

Oct 2016
Another great episode. Very exciting towards the end and left on a couple of very tense cliffhangers. I loved how Kraft gave Holo his paper with his dream on it for Holo to wipe her tears away. It demonstrated that his love for her is worth more than his dream (8.5/10)
Apr 23, 12:05 AM

Feb 2016
I'm conflicted, I like this show because Holo is really cute and all, but Lawrence is kinda hard to like, he is mostly cool but he is really dumb, at least so far, like, this entire fkng problem could have been avoided by just saying no to that weird guy 2 episodes ago, but Lawrence wanted to play detective and it failed completely lmao

Loved the scene of them in the bed tho, sadly it was cut short because of the bandits lol
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 23, 12:10 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
I watched the original, but it was so long ago that I don't remember who's the person who sees Holo going in after the credits. Therefore, I'm really looking forward the next episode.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 23, 12:38 AM

May 2015
Feels bad for Holo. Go to save her Lawrence.
Apr 23, 1:49 AM

Oct 2020
Sometimes Holo can be cute when clinging to Lawrence.
Apr 23, 4:33 AM
Feb 2011
How do can anyone not fall in love with Holo? Beautiful, brilliant, charming and vulnerable.
Apr 23, 4:46 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Definitely a tense situation eh, they captured Holo and are taking her hostage while Lawerence can't have the company's protection for his own affairs now, even though they made him safe inside the house after Holo's sacrifice... now he had to reveal Holo's secret and the other group knows about it too... mysterious ending as well, can't wait for the next one.
Apr 23, 6:12 AM
Mar 2019
So, the wolf is out of the bag. And Lawrence is being drawn in. He doesn't seem to be resisting. This incarnation is just as good as the original.
Apr 23, 6:44 AM

Sep 2023
This was another amazing episode. The machinations of the trading companies forced Lawrence to reveal Holo's true identity. I'm thinking that the person at the end is someone that Holo knows from the past, and would probably explain how her captors figured out who she really was. I'm very excited to see where things go from here.
Apr 23, 6:47 AM
Aug 2018
I like the direction of this episode. Holo is still adorable, and I'm more okay with Kevin's music than in previous episodes. However, one thing that bothers me is the lighting in this one. In the daytime scenes, I didn't feel that there was much of a problem, but in the night scenes, where it should be dark, the characters are glowing, and it really bothers me.
Apr 23, 7:37 AM

Jul 2017
Zheren is still not trustworthy of his words, so Lawrence's backup of hiring private investigators to aid him, it's assurance that he would not lose any value, much less the Milone Trading Company. And some further digging reveals that he's backed by another trading company, though if Milone acts first, they'll be on the profiteering side. But for all her life, the Wise Wolf has been left abandoned by her peers who have been left dead or alive, Holo only managing to live thus far has been a blessing in disguise. And this scheme, Holo manages to scout the place from enemies, and Medio Trading is on their toes.

With all aspirations and dreams on the line, Lawrence could not hold up losing Holo, and for now, they separate on the cusp of Lawrence reaching the Milone Trading Company on time and bringing this word to Marquis Milone, though taking Holo hostage does sound kind of strange given how much money has been divested into the scheme. Any grievances against Milone will be huge, but in Holo's words: trust her intuition, and the letter from her is exactly just that.

Even in danger, don't ever doubt Holo, for she is the Wise Wolf.
Apr 23, 8:59 AM
Sep 2021
Holo is in great trouble, now it's all up to lawrence to save her & this episode focused a lot on holo.
Apr 23, 10:30 AM
Aug 2023
Even though I've seen the 2008 version, when I watch this scene again, I'm still very upset. Moreover, in this new version, the person who captured the holo is a boy. I hope that damn guy doesn't lay a finger on holo.
Apr 23, 10:41 AM

Dec 2022
well holo is in trouble cant say anything without spoilers so im staying silent
Apr 23, 1:19 PM
Jan 2023
Holo just being adorable...

Seems Holo managed to get herself kidnapped too, and what a mean cliffhanger there.

Loving this show so far though!
Apr 23, 1:49 PM
May 2023
I don't remember this plot twist 😅
what just happened to the storyline.
Apr 23, 2:59 PM
Mar 2024
I never watched the original, so this was all new to me. I really like these characters, and its interesting that holo got revealed so early.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

29 by access_flash »»
28 minutes ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

92 by Magicmist »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

50 by Scootboi »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.