Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 7:59 AM

Apr 2010
This episode had a more serious tone the the last two it was sad seeing grandma having to worry about losing grandpa.
Luckily the managed to reverse the again again.
And Grandma had a pretty sad past, and the couple getting together was also a bit of a problem but they succeeded in becoming a couple.

The conversation between their granddaughters was funny as well.
Apr 21, 7:59 AM

Apr 2016
I never knew what i needed in my life is an anime adaptation of geriatric version of totally not resident evil game, lol .. that was funny.

And yeah, i guess that goes without saying, that the presumed "immortality" has its dark side for sure ... but again, one day this "dream" will end ...
Apr 21, 8:09 AM

Feb 2021
3:03 面子 (menko) - menko; children's game in which thick circular or rectangular cards are slapped down on the ground to overturn other cards. ベーゴマ (beegoma/beigoma, 貝独楽) - traditional Japanese spinning top toys. This is where Beyblades came from.

3:17 南無阿弥陀仏 (namu amida butsu) - a Buddhist chant.

Really cool to see their backstory, I hope we get more of it.
And a bittersweet ending, I like what they did with the sand.
Apr 21, 8:28 AM

Mar 2021
I love that we keep getting flashbacks to when Grandpa and Grandma first met each other they are such a lovely couple. It was hilarious seeing them play video games completely getting engrossed with it.
Apr 21, 8:47 AM
Sep 2021
Ine & Shouzou's daily life continues, and this time they learn more about the miraculous power they have been gifted.
Apr 21, 10:11 AM
Jan 2014

The power is real.
Apr 21, 10:22 AM
May 2017
Excellent episode! The series gets better each episode. Shouzou and Ine form an amazing couple, made for each other and aged up to wisedom about life and love.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 21, 11:11 AM

Jul 2016
Everybody gangsta till grandpa and grandma become the record holder for the top 100% speedrun of some random game you gave them overnight.

When not even grandparents are immune to the awkward affection of a tsundere lmao

"The person I fell for wasn't the old you or the young you. It was the man called Saitou Shouzou, the only one in the world."
Ine really can't help herself from dropping absolute hard-hitters every episode, can she? Also, soulless eyes and blushing cheeks are a combo I never knew I needed more of.
Apr 21, 11:37 AM

Mar 2008
I actually got teary a few times this ep. It's so sweet how jiichan and baachan are with eachother

Ah yes the wonders of perv power.
Apr 21, 12:32 PM
Oct 2021
yo this show might actually be my favourite of the season
Apr 21, 1:06 PM

Dec 2022
well well grandma telling grandpa that she loves him not for his age but for what he is sounds familiar yet so different
Apr 21, 1:22 PM

Nov 2016
Loved when they got serious about playing "Resident Evil"

Now we know that their state is linked to the position of the hourglass(maybe also the amount of sand in each bulb). And that they will run out of life if it's empty, I guess. Bittersweet ending incoming...At least they can do everything they like for a while and then die together 🥲

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 21, 1:32 PM
Apr 2023
Embient said:
3:03 面子 (menko) - menko; children's game in which thick circular or rectangular cards are slapped down on the ground to overturn other cards. ベーゴマ (beegoma/beigoma, 貝独楽) - traditional Japanese spinning top toys. This is where Beyblades came from.

3:17 南無阿弥陀仏 (namu amida butsu) - a Buddhist chant.

Really cool to see their backstory, I hope we get more of it.
And a bittersweet ending, I like what they did with the sand.

Thanks for the info. I was confused while watching.
Apr 21, 5:36 PM

Jan 2008
Since they live out in the countryside, I bet they need some sort of measures against bears and whatnot, which would explain why Grandpa is comfortable with the shotgun in the zombie videogame.

The snow-scoop...is that better than a shovel with a center grip attachment? I imagine they use it to save their backs, but I think it would still be heavy and difficult to push. I could be wrong though, I've only ever used a normal shovel.

I see...so even if the hourglass is flipped, sand continues to seep out a little, so you can only flip it so many times until it eventually becomes more or less the same amount of time they have left to live, which grandpa estimates is a few years. But what happens if it's flipped onto its side?
Apr 21, 6:01 PM

Apr 2022
rough stuff grandpa there but damn i don't really see topics like this ever, but this show handled it very well even if comedically. aww grandma staying true to her love was way too wholesome man.
Apr 21, 6:14 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Enjoyed the gaming bit in this one, that was definitely a Resident Evil reference with a touch of Evil Dead due to the chainsaw, as you don’t really use a chainsaw much in RE, but I wasn’t expecting Ine and Shouzou to get all the trophies in one day of playing, maybe I could get them to come over and platinum all my RE games lol. And it appears Shouzou learned the greatness of tsunderes with Shiori there, even if he didn’t quite understand what was happening.

But besides the goofs, we had a bit of a serious situation in this episode with Shouzou returning back to being an old man, this did give us some funny bits as well but once Shouzou figured out how to go back to being young again, there was a bit of a sad reveal that he and Ine are on a time limit with this being young again thing, I figured this was the case but I also fear for the ending of this show, I feel that it might be a bittersweet one but I’m in for the funnies along the way without a doubt. And we also got more flashbacks to Ine and Shouzou as actual young folks, it’s cool to see giving the difference in time periods, it even referenced World War 2, but of course the main treat is the wholesomeness of the humble beginnings of their relationship, hope to see more of it as we go.
Apr 21, 6:39 PM

Nov 2021
Damn this show got me laughing one scene and in my feels in the next
Apr 21, 6:40 PM

Oct 2021
TheColonel76 said:
And we also got more flashbacks to Ine and Shouzou as actual young folks, it’s cool to see giving the difference in time periods, it even referenced World War 2

That bit threw me off, however. If Grandma was 18ish during "the war"--1945--and the comic started in 2019, that would put her in the low to mid-90's age-wise. So to still be getting around as they were pre-de-aging, they have to be quite fit, haha.
Apr 21, 8:47 PM

Jul 2022
I came here to enjoy a nice relationship between grandparents, not to cry. :'c Damn, that made me tear up.

It seems the functioning of the clock will come to an end sooner or later. On the side of reverting to being an elderly person, it could be said that there are benefits since, as the medical analysis conducted by their son on his parents showed, the grandfather improved in health. That means it's a win-win, because the old body recovers when it returns to being old again. Without a doubt, it's a great benefit. But what scares me here is the case of the grandmother. As we know, she suffers from cancer. I wonder if when she returns to her elderly state, her cancer will also regress. It's a deadly disease, and perhaps the power to rejuvenate is not entirely magnificent because, as we know, while it cured the grandfather, it didn't do so completely, as his kidneys and liver are still in the same state as when he was an old man. There's also the possibility that the longer one remains young, the more the old person's body may be further healed when they return to being elderly. If that point were to be true, there might be a possibility that the grandmother could make her cancer disappear. It would be a miracle. Literally.

However, despite everything, both wish to stay together regardless of time or the state of their bodies. The end of this episode says it all; it was very beautiful and made me shed a few tears. Their relationship has been through so much that it has made love an encryption impossible to erase. That's the kind of love couples should strive for. There's truly no one like that couple. I love them a lot. Today's episode was deeper than usual, and honestly, I'm grateful for that.
Apr 21, 9:08 PM
Apr 2024
I loved it. ⚠️Spoiler Alert⚠️ In this episode, part of the grandparents' story as a couple is revealed, including the grandmother's past, how they met, and the obstacles they overcame to be together for the rest of their lives. Serious topics such as the age difference in the eyes of society and their concerns about being alone after the other's death, as well as the possibility of outliving their children and grandchildren, were touched upon. This anime keeps improving with each episode. Despite this episode having bittersweet undertones (life), the narrative is sweet and heartwarming. It's the love story I didn't know I needed ❤️
Lilijana_Apr 21, 9:17 PM
Apr 21, 9:17 PM

Mar 2007
Grandpa protects himself and grandma by killing all the zombie villagers with head shots! In the meantime, Grandma uses the chain saws on zombies messing up their rice fields! TAKE THAT you fiends! Geez, they really clocked that game, and good, getting all the achievements. You go grandparents! So cool, sigh!

Then it got all serious. When she was worried she'd go through life without him, that kind of hit hard. They just want to live together and do everything together. I wish I could get my spouse to understand this is how I view marriage and commitment.
Apr 22, 4:42 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Reply to Passive00
TheColonel76 said:
And we also got more flashbacks to Ine and Shouzou as actual young folks, it’s cool to see giving the difference in time periods, it even referenced World War 2

That bit threw me off, however. If Grandma was 18ish during "the war"--1945--and the comic started in 2019, that would put her in the low to mid-90's age-wise. So to still be getting around as they were pre-de-aging, they have to be quite fit, haha.
Passive00 said:

Yeah that’s very true, I was thinking something similar when they showed that, like damn these two are old lol, but they do have an orchard so it’s possible they were very fit.
Apr 22, 4:55 AM

Feb 2016
Really good episode, the best one so far.

We get to see the 1st time they meet, and go deeper in Ine's health problems.

Them playing a PS3 and getting all the trophies on a zombie game was so unexpected and hilarious lmao

I also love how "realistict" this is, we already saw they don't trying to hide their age change, but now seeing them actually going to see a doctor (even if it's their son) and stuff is great. The fear Ine has of being "immortal" or something, and seeing all the people she loves die hit me in the heart, that was such a genuine fear and reaction I forgot for a second she is an anime character.

Now, about the granddaughters, they both are cute as hell, but I think I like Shiori more, Mino has been showing weird fetishes since the 1st episode, if a girl says she wants to marry her grandpa, or grandma, more than 1 time then I think is not really a joke anymore lol
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 22, 6:40 AM
Oct 2023
Wholesome as hell, noting separating them after more than 70 years, warms me up.
Apr 22, 10:05 AM

Aug 2022
That night Seizo accidentally turns the hourglass upside down in his dream. When he woke up the next morning he had returned to his old man's body. However, Ine was still his wife and she didn't care about that at all.

And also Ine's backstory and the beginning of their meeting, I want to see it again..

RafaBryanApr 22, 10:14 AM
Apr 22, 10:10 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to TheColonel76
Passive00 said:

Yeah that’s very true, I was thinking something similar when they showed that, like damn these two are old lol, but they do have an orchard so it’s possible they were very fit.
@TheColonel76 Do we have a clear indication at what year the story is supposed to take place?
We've seen PS3 being used, which was released in 2006. PS4 was released in 2013. So my guess is the story likely takes place in that period?
Apr 22, 11:18 AM
Apr 2024
i think its very creative but i think that the voice of their younger self sould sound younger
Apr 22, 12:07 PM

Jul 2016
Grandpa talking so casually about headshot-ing zombies to put them out of their misery was oddly funny.
Apr 22, 12:33 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Reply to Xspeed
@TheColonel76 Do we have a clear indication at what year the story is supposed to take place?
We've seen PS3 being used, which was released in 2006. PS4 was released in 2013. So my guess is the story likely takes place in that period?
Xspeed said:
Do we have a clear indication at what year the story is supposed to take place?

That seems likely, I don’t know for sure as I don’t think they’ve ever said what time period this takes place in but I think that’s possible.
Apr 22, 3:06 PM
Jun 2020
FarCritical said:
Everybody gangsta till grandpa and grandma become the record holder for the top 100% speedrun of some random game you gave them overnight.

When not even grandparents are immune to the awkward affection of a tsundere lmao

"The person I fell for wasn't the old you or the young you. It was the man called Saitou Shouzou, the only one in the world."
Ine really can't help herself from dropping absolute hard-hitters every episode, can she? Also, soulless eyes and blushing cheeks are a combo I never knew I needed more of.

Grandma is already becoming my favorite character
Apr 23, 1:41 AM

Jul 2017
A fairytale of proportions for both Shouzou and Ine going into their relationship, they basially did everything together,

Shouzou and Ine being introduced to a PS3 to play Resident Evil, they sure conquered the game in one go, in one day. But between Mino and Shiori, their relationship as relatives can be quite the kicker, especially to Shouzou. But the ticking hourglass where Shouzou laments about not giving enough time to love Ine, only he turns back to his old and original state. With Takahiro's results, he is glad that Shouzou is fine, but Ine being only kept regressed, it's scary to die alone.

Once again, Shouzou is back to his grandfather state, though Yoshiaki challenging them for the Atami trip, the former tries hard to win, and he did. At its current state, both of them look like Grandpa and granddaughter, but it's not good to lie. The mame daifuku can have diabetes when eaten old, and Shouzou offering them to Ine, two is better than one to have a snack together.

It's nice to see Shouzou and Ine's relationship in the past working as fellow farmers, though the latter coming from a rather harash family and the former being free and easy, that's what slowly earned his place in her heart, meeting her at the shrine every day. The Sands of Time definitely brought Shouzou back to his young state while looking at the hourglass and the sand spilling out of their time of youth, it's bittersweet.

May their time together never end.
Apr 23, 1:31 PM

Nov 2013
:( Depressing talk at the end, but such is life. No parent wants to outlive their children.
Apr 23, 8:55 PM
Oct 2019
What a beautiful guy, so comforting to follow this story, and it doesn't fail when it comes to the stories, very good episode!
Apr 24, 12:06 PM
Apr 2021
Damn this episode gotta be the best one so far this one of those shows that have you laughing in the beginning and then depressed as shit during the second half of the episode bc seeing they’re backstory once more was even better bc we got to see what Ine went through before meeting Saitou it’s a shame she went through the typical harsh ridicule that women went through back in those days🙁

Ine having soulless eyes yet blushing and saying her heart melted was something I didn’t think I needed in my life but DAMN DO I NEED IT😩
Apr 24, 3:40 PM

Jul 2019
Absolute greatness. This show can really go from happy and funny to sad and wholesome
Apr 24, 4:10 PM

May 2015
There seems to be a lot from the manga that I dont remember cause its been so long. This entire episode plot of Jiisan turning back to being old I completely forgot happens. I thought they were always young. Its pretty depressing to know they only have a few years left.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 24, 5:48 PM

Jan 2016
So many enjoyable things. We learned that they will likely still die of old age in a few years, but with opportunity to live them as if were in youth. They know the curse of immortality and are relieved that's not what they have.
I wonder if this creation had any intent to get people to marry and have kids, I know that's a major "problem" in Japan. This is such an overall wholesome show. 4/5 because something about this show feels off for me.

Apr 25, 3:47 AM
Apr 2009
This episode definitely gave me a bit more of what I was looking for from the series than the first two episodes. I might continue watching after all.
Apr 27, 1:39 PM

Jan 2022
The characters in the game are them lol and they've become pro-gamers.

The grandpa did not hesitant to win the arm wrestling match. He lowered his son's hand so fast.

I'm glad g-pa switched back to being young again! He had me worried for a sec
This never updates so that's cool
Apr 29, 1:38 AM
Jan 2022
Many people love this series because of the cuteness of them. But, in my vision, this anime is full of deep life-learning lessons that we should not waste our time badly.
May 2, 7:50 PM

Apr 2019
So the sand leaks some of their lifespan, they're not immortal it seems, atleast they won't outlive their children
May 6, 6:27 AM

Feb 2021
Lol, He become youth again XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 6, 2:43 PM
Oct 2021
Finally a heart warming episode, this is closer to what I was hoping for when I read the synopsis for this show than any other episode so far . Hopefully thers more episodes like this in the future.
May 23, 9:03 PM

Feb 2019
Their backstory was cute

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 12

35 by Shikkakku »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 7

155 by patkarunungan »»
Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 7 Discussion

Aversa - May 19

34 by kisip123 »»
May 21, 3:58 PM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 5 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 5

37 by DarknessReality »»
May 21, 12:07 PM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 28

40 by DarknessReality »»
May 21, 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.