Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 15, 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
I guess Holo is still shy from going into public. She's really enjoying the taste of apples just like the original series though.

Holo and Lawrence's relationship is still pushed as the core of the show and feels great. Their personalities clashes but also their understanding of each helps build both characters. The world building and economy is also slightly expanded although I'm pretty sure given the nature of this show, we'll know much more. Oh another note, Holo's taste for food just continues to grow.
Apr 15, 9:57 AM

May 2020
If people no longer recognize Holo, or more like, don’t even remember her, then that is people’s problem. But I’d say that’s a good thing in itself too, I mean they’ve to travel through places like Pazzio which are buzzing with crowds, so someone doing the unnecessary here would just pose problems for the duo going forward. Liked the bit when Holo was doing everything she could to remain focussed in the conversation while crossing the stands selling apples lol.

Holo being better than Lawrence himself while negotiating for things really should’ve done a thing or two to his confidence lol, but hey, he got more money that way, so that’d work for him. Though who would’ve known furs with a slightly different scent could sell for that large price, and that too was just a happy coincidence lol. By the way, I’ve forgotten but there does seem to be a vast variety of silver coins in circulation in their world.

Anyways, as they say, never go after quick money, but Lawrence did, being a merchant and all, can’t blame him too. But at least try to do not trust people with faces like Zheren lol.
Apr 15, 9:58 AM

Dec 2021
Holo is super sneaky and clever in how she outsmarted Lawrence.

Lawrence and Holo, who decided to entertain a lucrative offer for the time being, visited the port town of Pazzio where they had arranged to meet Zheren. After indulging in a cartful of apples at the bustling square lined with numerous stalls, the two headed to the Milone Company to sell a cargo of ten pelts. As Lawrence and the company appraiser haggled over the transaction amount, Holo suddenly interjected into the negotiations.

That evening, they rendezvous with Zheren for drinks. The young merchant confesses he can't assure the absolute accuracy of his information. Lawrence interprets this as a gesture of trustworthiness, prompting him to accept a partnership. Once Zheren departs, Lawrence imparts knowledge of the various coins in circulation to Holo until she drifts off to sleep.

Holo shined in this episode by pulling off an amazing trick to get the 210 coins.

Apr 15, 9:59 AM

Feb 2018
The highlight of this episode is Holo which can distinguish real coins from fake ones. Do wolf have good hearing?
Apr 15, 11:09 AM
Jan 2021
Lol out of 10 Ratings 5 with a 1/5 and 2 with a 2/5💀. The haters are always the fastest. Get a life
Apr 15, 11:34 AM

Aug 2017
This part in the original was when I started to like the show, so was quite looking forward to it. Love Holo cunning plan to trick the merchant into paying more for the furs and also playing a huge role for with her ears for telling the purity of silver coins were decreasing, she payed Lawrence more than enough back for those apples.
Apr 15, 11:34 AM
Senpai

May 2021
The new Frieren adventure for the season haha :D Good episode, cozy vibes.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 15, 11:54 AM
Sep 2015
This reminds me that EU used to have so many currencies, but now it's just Euro, which is actually a smart move to unified power, such a shame that Swiss and Scandinavian don't join that.
Apr 15, 11:59 AM
Jun 2023
Anyone else peep her shadow horns? Holo the Wise has turned into Holo the Devil 😈
Apr 15, 12:06 PM

Jul 2017
Decent episode, with fairly good pacing again and very similar to how the original flowed. Still think that more can be done visually with the backgrounds to improve on the world building and animation quality but the content was more than decent here. Holo wisely played a good trick to get more coins from the fur deal with the help of the fresh apples she bought with that one silver coin. Managed to get 70 extra coins out of her sales pitch in the process. Lawrence kind of shot himself in the foot with agreeing with Zheren with the partnership when the signs were a bit more obvious as the purity of coins did decrease in comparison to Zheren's claims, but he should have the skills in him to get out of this. Good thing Holo was there to help him out with her great levels of hearing that she has as a wolf. Hopefully, Lawrence can smoothly overcome those red flags that Zheren gave off.

Music was very good from Kevin Penkin but if there is a small negative I have, feels like the tracks can be a bit overpowering at times in some scenes that take place like before the opening when Holo was contemplating about how she wouldn't be recognized. Feel like a more simpler track or a track that was a bit quieter would have been fine there but that is just a nitpick. As stated earlier, setting visually looks flat and I wish the remake took a bit more initiative to make the series pop more visually with the setting at hand since they did make Pazzio does look a bit boring visually.
Apr 15, 12:08 PM

Feb 2022
A perfect combination, Holo and apples...

I love the way she ups the value by carefully weaving a story to stir the imagination, clever wolf

Holo learning about coins im the same as me studying, very relatable.

3 episodes in and really enjoying this new adaptation
Apr 15, 12:14 PM

Jan 2023
Another great episode, I liked so much things in it!
Starting with that hilarious scam imagined by Holo at the beginning, followed by Holo love of foods, Lawrence attempting to explain the different currencies to Holo, and of course Lawrence's jealousy and Holo's reaction to it.
Overall, I think the plot from the first novel is probably one of the most interesting of the story, I was really into it!

Can't wait for next week :)
Apr 15, 12:18 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a city of merchants and nobles huh curious dynamic. It was cute seeing Holo act so curious about all the new things she's seeing. Especially the apples. She sure did well in her first taste of bargaining with the trader. The insight into the different currency thats used in this world really was insightful. But there sure were a lot. The interaction with the currency dealer sure was amusing. Curious to see what the plan of their entail.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 12:23 PM
May 2017
great episode,a bit of CGI and one moment with bad animated face on Holo but still great
Apr 15, 12:33 PM

Sep 2023
I really enjoyed this episode. I never thought that an anime discussing the intricacies of currency would be entertaining, but it was. Ever since Frieren, I've been paying more attention to the soundtracks of different anime and I really like what this one has going on. I am partial to fantasy music, so it's probably that. Looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 15, 12:34 PM
Apr 2023
The OST of this remake is sublime, my god.
Apr 15, 12:36 PM
Nov 2023
OST of this remake 10/10 nice job for passione.
Apr 15, 12:38 PM
Mar 2023
I'm dying to see Holo's transformation in this remake.
Apr 15, 12:48 PM

Mar 2023
Again about as good as the original. Good episode.
They touched on plenty of basic economy, including the trust in the value of a currency being the basis for most of the value of that currency. In modern day it's basis for all the value of a currency, since there's no silver/gold to back it up.
Apr 15, 1:18 PM
Oct 2016
Reply to watsym
Again about as good as the original. Good episode.
They touched on plenty of basic economy, including the trust in the value of a currency being the basis for most of the value of that currency. In modern day it's basis for all the value of a currency, since there's no silver/gold to back it up.
@watsym this might be my favorite thing abt the anime so far. i'm drawn in by the investigation of developing trade. rly good world building
Apr 15, 1:23 PM

Mar 2020
An episode on the basics of economics, how glad Lawrence must be having a shrewd wolf like Holo around...

This was by far the best episode so far, as it flowed well, and finally, we are getting into some of the economics of the world, such as the trust of a currency, what happens when foreign currencies take over a country, and understanding what it means for a coin to be minted. I am a bit surprised that Lawrence gets swindled as much as he does, given that he is a merchant, but he definitely has the theoretical knowledge of how an economy works. With Holo around, her practical skills and judgments, along with her sharp hearing, really helped Lawrence out, and their relationship is sure to be a powerful one from both an emotional and practical standpoint, with time. Visually, I do wish there was a bit more pep in the backgrounds, but the overall story is doing enough to allow me to overlook its shortcomings, so far, and I hope it continues to do so.
Apr 15, 1:30 PM

Jul 2021
kevin penkin's got such an obvious jingle now. In this episode he used the same one as in the rising of the shield hero season 2, the Ost leitmotif. Tell me it isn't true, I dare you. It has almost reached the level of recognizing yuuki kajiura's music by the first 3 seconds it plays.
Apr 15, 1:34 PM
Jan 2021
IhnalakoKaina said:
kevin penkin's got such an obvious jingle now. In this episode he used the same one as in the rising of the shield hero season 2, the Ost leitmotif. Tell me it isn't true, I dare you. It has almost reached the level of recognizing yuuki kajiura's music by the first 3 seconds it plays.

You sure like to hate on stupid stuff. Come up with better things next time💀.

Like don't act like you would remember any of the Shield Hero tracks. All of them were forgettable. Kevins soundtracks for this Remake are better and more versatile. That's his strength like he showed in Made in Abyss
Apr 15, 1:41 PM
Nov 2023
Well, that was a cliffhanger I was not expecting. We'll have to wait for the next episode to learn what the plan is.
But, I've had some guesses of my own during the episode of what the kid is plotting.

First of all, if i understand correctly, there is a rumor that the amount of silver/gold in Trenni coins is going to change.
The value of the coin inside the kingdom won't change in either case, but the exchange rate with other kingdom coin will be affected.
If the amount increases, the coin can buy more goods in other kingdoms than in Trenni. This means that it is possible to make a profit by saving Trenni coins to echange them later for the new ones, which would increase the amount of goods that can be bought outside of Trenni.
If the amount of silver/gold decreases, it's harder to make a profit, because owning Trenni coins during the transition automaticaly decreases the amount of goods that can be bought with them. A possible way to make a profit would be to immediately exchange Trenni coins for other kingdom's coins and after the change convert them back to Trenni coins.
By doing this, the amount of goods that can be bought inside of Trenni has increased and by then selling those goods in other kingdoms profit can be made.

If someone is suspecting that change is about to come, it might not be wise to make one of the above moves, since they are very risky.
What I thought the kid was planning is a way to ensure he makes a profit is either case.
If the amount of silver/gold increases, he gets 10% of the profit that Lawrence makes.
To make a prifit in the case that the amount of decreases, he could exchange the upfront payment for other kingdom's coins and later convert them back (the same trick I described in the privious paragraph).
With this trick, there is no risk, because, even if he is completely wrong, the contract only requires him to pay 10 Trenni coins.

What I think Holo was hinting at in the end of the episode is that the above stategy is even more prifitable when orchestrated by a company.
A company can make a contract with many people like the kid we see and magnify the results drastically.

It's also worth noting that a trading company stationed in Trenni would not be affected as much, as they operate with local currency, so they can afford to take bigger risks. Though, something to be mindful of is that the proportion of people willing to buy from and sell to them could change.
If the demand increases too much, relative to the supply, they could run out of stock fast.
That might be the reason why the man at the beginning was willing to buy a large amount of pelts, even at a high price.
Maybe he wasn't fascinated by the pelts, but was making a stock for the worst case scenario (sorry Holo).

Hope you enjoyed my overanalysis.
Feel free to respond to this comment and correct me if I made a mistake.
(Sorry I wasn't able to think of a good TL;DR)
Apr 15, 1:57 PM
Dec 2023
Ain't no way she swindled the merchant that bad.
Apr 15, 2:38 PM

Jul 2020
HOLO'S FACE WHEN SHE WANTS APPLES!
HOLO WANTS APPLES
Don't take Holo's apples
The kingdoms of the land produce too many different coins. Making Holo mad Another reason why the Holo Revolution happened back then

Holo is an expert in economic study
Apr 15, 2:56 PM

Jun 2023
Mercantilism at its finest.
Apr 15, 3:20 PM
Jun 2012
Ah, I've missed Holo's playfulness.
What's this? Lawrence is jealous? Let me play along.

I'm so glad I don't really remember some plot points so I can experience them all over again.
Apr 15, 3:47 PM
Oct 2016
Holo is truly helping Lawrence become a better merchant even if he doesn't know it. In her whimsical way Holo doesn't seem to have much of a grapple on things but we can tell she's got a good mind. The title of wise wolf isn't just for show, she does have wisdom that a human wouldn't simply because she's lived many lifetimes and seen many things. Not only that but she also learns from others that passed through the village she was in. At that merchant company Holo really showed how smart she can be at manipulating people. At first her buying those apples seemed only because she wanted a treat but the dual purpose of that purchase shined through once Holo started taking over the deal Lawrence started to sell those animal pelts. Holo knows just how to give people what they want or at least what they want to hear. She's right at the end of the episode about how a different perspective can change how you think about the situation you're in. It would be easy to blame Zehren for trying to trick Lawrence but for a measly ten coins that doesn't seem right. Someone else must be pulling the strings to spread this idea that a new coin will be made soon that would devalue the current coin. All the talk about different coins, their worth, the amount of silver in them, etc, can get very complicated but it's integral to the story as Lawrence is a merchant dealing with these issues.
Apr 15, 3:52 PM

Sep 2016
Amazing Holo's performance as merchant.
Apr 15, 3:58 PM

Jun 2015
Why is she so fucking smart and cute!!!!

Read Toriko!
Apr 15, 4:22 PM
May 2023
Idk if it’s just me but holo is actually difficult to understand. I guess the reason I haven’t noticed is because I read the subtitles
Apr 15, 4:35 PM

Feb 2019
Another amazing episode of Holo and Lawrence journey. I think this was the coolest so far as we got to see some of the economics of this world and how currency is viewed. Some real life parallels to the days of the gold standard, when monetary value was pegged to the amount of gold a country had.

In this episode we see how much of a fast learner Holo is. She may act silly, but they don’t call her the wise wolf for nothing. She’s quickly able to pick up on negotiation tactics, as shown in how she helps Lawrence get a better deal with the fur pelts. I think she more than paid Lawrence back for the Apple/snack with helping him get more money in that deal lol.

Then later on we see her help discern the deterioration of the coins. Where would Lawrence be without her lol. She’s already becoming a great trading/business partner and saving his ass with these deals. It kinda makes me wonder how much he lost out on before if he’s handling business this way lol.

Holo’s facial expressions when Lawrence was teaching her about the different currencies and why there’s so many was so cute too. She was so locked in at first then you can gradually see her attention fade as it got more and more complex lol.

Can’t wait for the next episode. Never thought I’d enjoy a bunch of business transactions this much.
Marinate1016Apr 15, 5:32 PM
Apr 15, 4:48 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Now we’re getting to the business aspect of this show, I heard from my buddy there would be stuff like this and it is quite intriguing, I was never that great at understanding economics but they put it in a way I could grasp for now lol. Of course the bit with Holo lying through her teeth to that merchant was easily understandable, as I knew immediately when she mentioned the smell of fruit that it was because those apples were on top of the pelts at the start or the episode, that explanation she gave also sounded like BS but it was a fun scene lol, Holo is here to be more than just look cute for sure.

And we got a bit more on that one sus lad from last episode in regards to his info about silver coins, and at first it seemed like he was truthful and Holo’s ears were wrong, but the info revealed by Holo checking the purity of those coins by ear revealed that there’s more than meets the eye with the situation, and it looks like Lawrence figured it out at the end, the adventurous music was fitting there even if it’s just about money lol. And lastly I wanted to mention that first bit of the episode in regards to the apples, I think that might be my favorite Lawrence and Holo moment so far, I thought it was funny how Lawrence was trolling Holo and then afterward Holo wouldn’t share any apples lol, nice comedy there.
Apr 15, 5:02 PM
Jul 2021
If the purity of silver decreases in those coins, there might be a chance for someone to snatch the older coins from people and return the lower value coins when the contract is dissolved. I don’t know if that’s exactly what will come if this, but it’s my best guess as to what Zheren or his boss schemed. I wonder if that’s what Lawrence is thinking about exploiting next?
Apr 15, 5:02 PM

Feb 2010
wow, this ep was much better than the two previous (but this part of the first season, with the apple trick, is also one of my fav so yeah)

many nice expressions from holo and some nice backgrounds

again, one weird framing, i wonder what is this guy smoking (not that i hate unconventional framing but they are really too small in this one, or maybe it's the placement, or the bad drawing of the two, idk)

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
Apr 15, 5:21 PM

Feb 2019
phantomfandom said:
This reminds me that EU used to have so many currencies, but now it's just Euro, which is actually a smart move to unified power, such a shame that Swiss and Scandinavian don't join that.

It’s a good thing the Swiss and swedes don’t join that. The Swiss franc is very strong and Swiss has always been neutral.
Apr 15, 5:24 PM

Feb 2019
IhnalakoKaina said:

I mean that’s literally any artist? I can tell a Sawano or metro booming song instantly as well.
Apr 15, 5:33 PM

Apr 2022
think i found holo just a lil more cuter in the og but another good episode nonetheless. lawrence energy is nice as always.
Apr 15, 6:12 PM

Jun 2013
Reply to animrok_123
I'm dying to see Holo's transformation in this remake.
@animrok_123 I'm genuinely worried they might use CGI for her!
Apr 15, 6:25 PM
Feb 2020
LosTakeover said:
Anyone else peep her shadow horns? Holo the Wise has turned into Holo the Devil 😈

That’s a cool Easter Egg. I’m glad ya shared it
Apr 15, 6:47 PM
Jun 2023
Astrid_Bear said:
LosTakeover said:

That’s a cool Easter Egg. I’m glad ya shared it

I also noticed them when they were talking to that guy at the bar on the 2nd floor
Apr 15, 6:52 PM

Feb 2011
holo's voice is so fucking cute and perfect, if someone talked to me like that i'd have a geyser of nut coming out of my pants

10/10

Apr 15, 6:53 PM

Jun 2013
Some funny moments here especially Holo walking in the cart while looking at the apples. Always nice when Lawrence gets to troll Holo because it will not last for him. So we get more into the economics this episode. Funny thing but when I first watch Spice and Wolf many years ago, I was in Uni and had randomly picked up some ECON courses for free electives. But before even watching Spice and Wolf I had watched Maoyu Maou Yusha another anime that had a heavy focus on economics in medieval fantasy Europe...for a while I really thought it was a sign for me to switch majors.

The OST is really growing on me though, found myself humming the ED at work after lunch!

Still having lots of fun with the reboot so far!
BeppyicxApr 15, 7:10 PM
Apr 15, 7:01 PM

Apr 2019
I gotta say...this episode went way deeper on economics that I was expecting, however still very entertaining for the chemistry of the two protagonists together!
Apr 15, 7:43 PM

Jul 2014
Don't take holo's apples you monster!
Apr 15, 7:59 PM

Jul 2016
Holo makes experienced merchant Lawrence look like a complete newbie - the episode.

Really liked the OST this time.
Apr 15, 8:17 PM
Mar 2015
holo really is the wise wolf
Apr 15, 9:40 PM

Apr 2023
Holo should be the apple goddess🍎🍎🍎
Apr 15, 11:05 PM
Mar 2024
Honestly if the animation company keeps up the quality and such this may be their shining diamond of a series. The backgrounds are pretty and the background characters are enough and animated to where they don’t draw attention and the city is believable.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

92 by Magicmist »»
3 hours ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

28 by Scootboi »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

50 by Scootboi »»
3 hours ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - 7 hours ago

5 by Eva_Unit_00 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.