Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 8, 6:47 PM

Jul 2011
I loved her quote about the falsehood of the church.
Apr 8, 7:34 PM
Jun 2012
I really hope Holo learns to chew her food more, those potatoes almost killed her like what, four or five times?

Those talks turned very sombre quite quickly.

I really missed Holo's way of speaking. It is rare for me to like a female character so much, but she is just so adorable and I could watch her mischievousness and her interactions with Lawrence for hours.
Apr 8, 7:50 PM
Mar 2023
A bit of a sleeping pill
Apr 8, 7:59 PM
Jul 2015
Nice and slow. Setting up next intrigue in a few minutes.

Big focus on Holo-Lawrence relationship and especially their worldview.

Perfect mix of emotional and banter.

Animation details are prestine, especially the potato scene.

Cute, Funny, Serious,, perfect.
Apr 8, 8:01 PM
Mar 2015
Both of them have experienced danger from humans and wolves
Apr 8, 8:01 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to KikiSohma
I really hope Holo learns to chew her food more, those potatoes almost killed her like what, four or five times?

Those talks turned very sombre quite quickly.

I really missed Holo's way of speaking. It is rare for me to like a female character so much, but she is just so adorable and I could watch her mischievousness and her interactions with Lawrence for hours.
@KikiSohma the last time with the last potatoe, when Lawrence just hand out his pint without even looking cause he just knows she started choking... Just.... perfect !
Apr 8, 8:09 PM

Jun 2015
Damn, season one really was as good as I remember. Holo looks and cute af in this episode. I LOVE HER TAIL!!!

I forgot Holo had the ability to tell when people are lying. That's a really handy tool to have when negotiating deals.

These kinds of creepy young men really creep me out, even irl. They are not to be trusted.

It's funny how Holo just shits on the Church constantly.
Read Toriko!
Apr 8, 8:28 PM

Jul 2022
Holo is truly charming and adorable, simply beautiful!!! And it seems I'm not the only one who thinks so, as I've seen some comments mentioning that this remake is bringing out the best of the character. To be honest, I would have loved to watch the original anime, although I don't rule it out; maybe someday I'll give it a chance.

On the other hand, I'm quite intrigued by the conversation about wolves and humans, as it seems both species suffered equally because of each other. I hope they detail this further when they show us their past.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 8, 9:16 PM
Sep 2016
Okay, this maybe blasphemous, but I like the remade Holo more than the one from the old anime, both design and character.

PS: "Women are most beautiful when viewed from behind." During a drive, I've once glanced over a young adult girl (abt 17-20-ish y.o. top) whose seemed pretty hot and youthful from behind, walking on the sidewalk (I was still a High Schooler back then). When the car passes her, I took a glance at the rearview at her. Turns out, she was a 60-ish y.o. grandma all along.... Asian Mom/Granny, everyone.... (I'm South East Asian, so this is not racist). Holo's saying was never more true.
uncleqrowApr 8, 9:38 PM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Apr 8, 11:14 PM

Feb 2014
I can agree with Holo on one thing, potatoes with goats cheese on it looks really tasty! Now if only she ate it slower to savour it more... XD

Dialogue heavy episodes won't be everyone's favourite, but this series does well to make an episode like this feel enjoyable as well as a way to understand more about how Lawrence goes about his business as a travelling merchant. Learning more about what he does and how he deals with fellow merchants, good and bad, is always intriguing.

Same goes for his interactions with Holo. Even he struggled to get used to talking to her while she was naked, which was well done of course, but the more striking part of their conversation was about their experiences of wolves and humans from their own perspective. It did add some tension, since it did invoke some bad memories from Lawrence's dealings with wolf attacks, as well as Holo from fearing of humans hunting wolves down.

Still, seeing them talk with each other in general is always enjoyable to watch. Overall, this was a nice episode that flew by for me.
Apr 8, 11:18 PM

Sep 2018
Pretty nice episode. I learned a lot more about Holo, and how Lawrence had a bad history with wolves. The ecchi was nice too!
Apr 8, 11:28 PM

Mar 2007
Oh now he's decided Holo has to masquerade as his wife! And they're at the stage where they're "testing" one another. It's not fun and games, that's for sure since people's feelings are getting hurt on both sides. They're going to have to explain and be vulnerable about these issues at some stage.

So, I don't know what is up with that other young merchant, but all I could think of is "Scam Alert!" Most likely when he shows up at the inn, the young guy will have his buddies rob the merchant?
Apr 9, 12:04 AM

Feb 2022
Holo being cheekily sassy as ever as well as gluttonous, love to see it.
I'm liking the back and forth between Holo and Lawrence, the studio is doing a great job adapting the fantastic LN.
Apr 9, 12:42 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Ok, those potatoes looked really good. I don't know what Holo would think about all of the industrialized food that exists today if she was so amazed with food produced by agriculture and cooked with heat.
TitanOfPlasmaApr 9, 12:49 AM
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 9, 12:58 AM

Mar 2020
Holo continues to be perfect, and Lawrence deals with swindlers...

As we continue through this remake, I can really tell why Holo was so beloved back in the day. Her childish behaviours, her smugness, and her wisdom combine for a really solid character that surely captured the hearts of many in the original, and now, she will certainly capture even more hearts of people seeing her for the first time with this remake. In a world of trading, there will surely be swindlers like Zheren, so Holo and Lawrence working together to debunk such behaviour is just one example of how they are working very well with each other already.

I do have some misgivings about the overall aesthetic so far, but that's not to say the storytelling isn't solid so far, along with the music. There is still much to enjoy from this series, and I look forward to how Lawrence and Holo's relationship progresses.
Apr 9, 3:12 AM

Jun 2019
Holo is so adorable. I want to give her head pats and lots of potatoes to eat. Lawrence is such a great merchant but it looks like even he needs to be careful about some things which is why, Holo is there.

I felt bad for Lawrence when he was talking about how wolves attacked his companions and then they got sad but both of them end up smiling again. Cute.
Apr 9, 3:15 AM

Apr 2009
why is holo's face shining like she got radiation poisoning?

why are the shadows so random?

Why is every scene on maximum brightness?

why is holo a midget?

Apr 9, 4:27 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Holo's lying detector is already the best ability for her ahaha, Lawrence's trauma is important though...
Apr 9, 4:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
She can live wih humans!!!
kekeke
Apr 9, 5:44 AM

Oct 2020
Holo is very amusing when she tease Lawrence about things.
Apr 9, 6:40 AM

May 2021
How do two characters have this much chemistry in just two episodes? Think I might have to read the novels some time later.

Apr 9, 8:11 AM
Apr 2021
I LOVE Holo’s cheeky childish adorable behaviour she has man it makes this show even more enjoyable especially when she smiles after getting the one up against Lawerence she’s so funny man🤣🥰

That other merchant shouldn’t be trusted at all I mean his eyes are closed and you know how anime characters with their eyes closed are…they’re ALWAYS full of betrayal

The ecchi scene with Holo drying off her cloth was the cherry on the cake for this episode she’s so fucking fine man especially that one part where the camera panned down her body got me bc why tf is she so THICC???!😩😩😩😫😩😫😩😫😫
Apr 9, 8:19 AM

May 2015
Just saying to you guys, who are watching it the first time, that sadly we won't get any more nude Holo for maybe the whole season. It is not an omission that there is not an ecchi tag on the page of the anime, because she won't be teasing much more Lawrence with her body but instead with her witty words. The sweetest tsundere of all. Yeah I know by strict definition she is not that but I don't really care
IshitatesoApr 9, 9:42 AM
Apr 9, 9:06 AM
Feb 2022
Lovely lovely utsukushi let them cook
Holo’s personality is cute and amusing while I love the way Lawrence is always on his toes always cautious
Apr 9, 11:22 AM

Feb 2010
Reply to Ishitateso
Just saying to you guys, who are watching it the first time, that sadly we won't get any more nude Holo for maybe the whole season. It is not an omission that there is not an ecchi tag on the page of the anime, because she won't be teasing much more Lawrence with her body but instead with her witty words. The sweetest tsundere of all. Yeah I know by strict definition she is not that but I don't really care
@Ishitateso clearly this remake has pushed the fanservice one or more tier above the previous anime so maybe we will get some

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
Apr 9, 11:54 AM
Apr 2020
Her tail sure looks cute. I liked their discussion at the end of the episode. Enjoying this so far.
Apr 9, 12:19 PM
Oct 2023
So Economics with Wolf they say . The characteristics were pretty amazing. And Lawrence past was pretty brutal
Apr 9, 12:30 PM

Aug 2022
Holo's Voice actor sounds like angels
Apr 9, 12:31 PM

Nov 2017
Damn why she so fcking cute?? No wonder she's ranked 52 in mal.
NdudApr 9, 1:12 PM

Apr 9, 1:54 PM
Dec 2023
More stuff is going on. Good.
Apr 9, 2:27 PM
Oct 2023
Ep.2 of The Merchant and the Wise Wolf will probably turn out to be my fav show of the Spring 24 szn. Surprisingly enough, this series feels like a twist of what Frieren and Himmel’s relationship could’ve looked like…
Apr 9, 3:15 PM

Nov 2013
how to not love this series, the banter between the 2 are probably one of the best in any anime in existence lol

i didn't watch s2 yet, i was probably gonna pick it sometime soon... either way, now that this one exists, i'll just enjoy it at a slow pace, like it's intended to be
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 9, 4:17 PM

Sep 2011
Its been so long since the original i forgot just how much chemistry these 2 have almost instantly. Their banter just flows so organically but also it finds some nice contrasts in how they view things.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 9, 5:51 PM

Jun 2019
Hard not to make some comparisons between this adaptation and the original/light novels, but thankfully I watched and read the latter over a decade ago, so my mind isn't obsessing over every change.

The banter and chemistry between our leads is as charming as I remember. Also, the background illustrations of this adaptation are lovely.

The only thing I'm not entirely sold on is the lighting. Everything has a lot of bloom and I remember Lawrence's flashback to the wolves being more sinister in the original. Not a deal breaker of course, just a small nitpick.
Apr 9, 6:57 PM
Mar 2019
Holo, and Kraft really have different perspectives on life, and it's showing more in this second episode. There is an interesting argument to find a balance between the two that we will see more as the story progresses. Holo's reaction to "God" is well founded, and would be an interesting counter argument towards monotheistic organized religion from the perspective of the minority polytheistic religions. The enforcement is what will make the 'pagan' believes die out or get infused with the predominant "God" centered religion. So many lessons, and it's just the second episode.
Apr 9, 8:04 PM

Jul 2016
Episode's visuals didn't look as good this time... except for Holo's nude scenes. As expected from Passione.
Apr 9, 9:38 PM

Oct 2016
I love the emotional tension we got at the end of this episode. I know Holo said there are things she doesn’t want to talk about, but I’m kind of curious as to the details of her previous encounters with humans. I don’t think we will unpack that anytime soon though, and I’m okay with that. I am mostly interested in how this trading partner situation is going to go down. (8/10)
Apr 9, 11:51 PM

Apr 2015
No idea what people are talking with regards to the visuals.
Apr 10, 12:19 AM

Dec 2009
Sweet to see the nostalgic scenes of her every movement of her ears and tail, eating that cheese potato and drinking wine.

I haven't started reading the novels just yet,
but even though the bartering of the story has always been dull, Holo's cuteness and the romance is what I'm still attracted to, along with the few moments of wolf action.

I've never rewatched the original anime in Sub, even though I could only watch the rest of the specials and vr in sub, so I kinda got used to Holo's original voice but I still much prefer the English voice actress for Holo.

Holo's voice is a bit too childish even if she is a teasing cheeky female.
The English VA sounds more mature and cocky which fits the character better.
I'll get used to it, but I don't think I've ever loved the original voice. It's too cute in a kidish way.

Aside from that it was nice to see the wolf trauma, even though I remember similar moments.
I think but forget if that was in the first anime as well.

The hay to her existence seems ridiculous, but I guess it's true or probably a secret security for her for whenever she wants to transform without drinking human blood.
... I don't remember if that concept or the truth of the matter was ever introduced in the first anime, but I can't remember since first watching it and later again a few years later since 2008.
Apr 10, 4:31 AM
Nov 2021
didn't watch the original but this one is fine ig
Apr 10, 5:48 AM
Aug 2018
I like this episode. The pacing is closely with the 2008 version. The animation is done quite well, although some scenes are dropped. Overall, it's okay. At first, I didn't think it would capture Holo's charm well enough, but upon watching it, I found that this version still retains her charm.Pround of the Wise Wolf, both in terms of his perspectives and childish pranks. Yet, there are also moments of loneliness .I think the dialogue is designed to be tighter and easier to understand compared to previous versions. As for Kevin Penkin's music, I'm not overly impressed at this point, but I still have hope for it.
Apr 10, 5:57 AM
Feb 2024
it's a really pleasant anime.... the calmness while watching it is unimaginable.....
Apr 10, 6:32 AM

May 2015
Reply to lighthalzen-kun
@Ishitateso clearly this remake has pushed the fanservice one or more tier above the previous anime so maybe we will get some
@lighthalzen-kun I wouldn't mind, if that were the case. Despite not being an ecchi fan seeing Holo naked in more scenes won't hurt my feelings ;)
Apr 10, 9:00 AM
Nov 2022
Good episode, I really like the interaction between Lawrence and Holo, it seems very natural to me, almost as if they had known each other for years.
Apr 10, 2:10 PM

Nov 2020
Interesting episode, nice relationship development, but Holo could stop being naked so often xD
Apr 10, 3:26 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to lighthalzen-kun
i'm starting to be disappointed, i was hopeful but the dialogues, the interactions, reactions, even the continuity of the shots and the sound direction (is it really useful to make us hear the cart wheels so much and make this scene drag on so long), they just don't feel as right as in the first anime (of course not talking about the global visual style that also feels wholly different)

sad

still trying to enjoy it but yeah...

also they gotta stop with these wide shots, it looks terrible, and the characters look badly integrated, especially because the backgrounds lack so much detail i guess but also because of the weird luminosity

it feels like a point and click or some video game

edit: also, incredible amount of nudity fanservice from this episode, but i'm not gonna complain too much
@lighthalzen-kun I'm mostly finding the anime to be decent but you are right about the shots that are zoomed out. Feel like with this remake, one thing that feels really wasted is the backgrounds having such little attention to detail so far that makes the world feel lifeless, and the shots featuring them and characters present looking weird too like the images you used, and it looks worse when horses and mediocre CGI are involved. Think the pacing of the material is fine, characters are good and interactions are fine but the direction does feel lacking and if better, can raise the potential of the anime to new heights. I just hope those backgrounds and zoomed out shots look better in other settings.
Apr 10, 4:31 PM

Sep 2017
Wow, that was a very tight adaptation of the second chapter of vol 1 (which is the shortest of the six chapters in the vol). I really appreciate them taking their time to do it right when it feels appropriate.
Apr 10, 5:41 PM
Jan 2017
The part at the church/abbey was real. Praise god and don't forget to donate. The conversation about wolves and humans was far more emotional than 99% of other animes.
Original or remake, they are both great series.
Apr 10, 6:16 PM

Apr 2015
I am in loving with the main characters, you can feel how the VAs are having fun with it too.
Apr 10, 7:35 PM

May 2022
I am definitely loving this remake. Every moment reminds me the original and the Nostalgia takes me. I'm loving they did Holo's tail having so much movement.

I dedicate my life to Holo. My house and I believe in Holo's supremacy.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

114 by Pustul »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

51 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

93 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
2 hours ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

29 by access_flash »»
3 hours ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - Today

7 by APolygons2 »»
3 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.