Forum Settings
Forums
BLAME!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 31, 2023 1:43 AM

Oct 2021
Words cannot describe how beautiful the entire manga is, 10/10 without a doubt
Apr 1, 2023 8:06 PM

Oct 2018
10/10 for me. Have to re read a few time... well a lot of time actually but its worth it. The art, character design, the atmosphere everyting is top notch. 
May 9, 2023 10:29 AM

Aug 2020
After rereading this, I can say it grew in me. A really interesting cyberpunk manga. Still unreadable at times, but one of the most intense titles I've ever read.

Jul 10, 2023 7:37 PM
Mar 2021
one of those mangas that needs a re-read, for sure. totally worth it too!
Aug 10, 2023 7:48 AM

Apr 2015
zomik said:
I took my sweet time reading Blame! and following the discussion forum to fully understand and enjoy the manga. Was definitely worth it. Overall, Blame! was good. Nihei could have omitted like 10 chapters that weren't necessary to the story progression. I really liked Killy and Cibo's characters. Especially Cibo. At times there were panels that were a bit incomprehensible at first and I'd get confused about what was going on, but since I took my time, I was able to fully grasp and enjoy the story. I love Nihei's style of "show, don't tell". It works for him and I genuinely love his art style.
I rated Nihei's other work, Biomega an 8.7/10. I read that right before reading Blame! I think I enjoyed Biomega a bit more, so I'll have to give Blame! an 8.6/10. A high 8, low 9. I'll round up and rate it a 9 on here. Next I gotta read Nihei's other short works that tie in with Blame! such as Blame! Gakuen and NOiSE. I'm saving Knights of Sidonia for last so I can also watch the anime as I read the manga.

Just binged this in a day, Suddenly decided to pick this up on a whim and it was an absolute thrill ride.
10/10 art, I like how there were very few dialogues, and also the story is really multi-layered and complex.
It kept me wanting more and more and this is actually the fastest I've ever read a manga (I usually dont read manga lol).
I really like stories like these which dont spell out everything initially but bit by bit you learn to connect the pieces together.
I came here because I was confused about alotta stuff and this post cleared up everything for me!
10/10 for the overall manga because it is extremely unique and excels at what it does, Might re-read in the future.
BiisooAug 25, 2023 11:50 AM
Sep 1, 2023 2:01 PM
Oct 2019
A little confusing, but cool art and series. 8/10.
Dec 26, 2023 9:38 AM
Aug 2019
Reply to antouene
I read blame 4 years ago and nothing in manga has come close to it. 11/10. I can try giving my take on some questions, they're old but maybe that'll help some other readers who are confused.

GGEasy said:
Veldarth said:

As someone who read BLAME! years ago, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1) Yes. She died in the fight against the exterminator. 2) Sanakan *probably* introduced some of Seu's genes into her. 3) I think it is the manifestation of the personality stored in the Mori pendant. 4) Read the last chapter again. 5) Yes. The lvl9 Safeguard killed him. 6) The Safeguard one is bad. The real one is good. Simple as that. As for your other question: She was mainly trying to protect the Net-terminal genes inside Cibo's core.

Well fuck, so almost everyone died at the end... Would of loved if Cibo survived but overall very good manga, it reminds me of Texhnolyze allot, VERY similar ending and theme.

So the sphere Cibo had, it grew into a real human or some kind of clone?, i read the last chapter again and Killy was alive and kicking some ass with the kid standing behind him. So was it human or some gene clone?

So it was actually Seu's and Cibo's genese combined, that maybe explains it because i don't think combining two women genes can create that so that should conclude that it didn't belong to Sanakan. But it still bugs me because she said this in this page:
http://www.mangahere.co/manga/blame/c063/21.html

I just need to know, cibo had like 4 different body changes, was she actually a real HUMAN in any of them or did she get killed in that Lab accident and recreated into some kind of robot.

That lake where Killy fell in, that was outside the giant underground city?

Was that kid created so humanity can start to reproduce? If so is that kid gonna be the host for the next ''sphere containing genes''. And whos genes are they gonna put because i think everyone was wiped out at the end. no?

I was thinking about rereading, but it took me some time to finish it so im not motivated, at-least not now... so if you know please answer these questions too, and in simple words if you could o.O. ty

The most recurring subject about blame is the sphere. It is in fact the most important part of the plot because the sphere is the thing Killy has been searching this whole time. Even if what comes before is important for some general information on Killy's mission, what's really important in the manga starts when Killy and Cibo reach Toha Heavy Industries. My take on the sphere and everything connected to it is this :

killy and cibo recieve seu's genetic information from the toha industries AI. Seu's genetic information doesn't necessarily have net terminal genes but what we know is that he's from an ancient race of humans that is not that affected by the mutation/time because they were locked inside Toha Industries.

Next in the story, killy and cibo reach a level where they meet domochevski and his little buddy (I forgot his name). It is a very special level. Domochevski tells killy and cibo that in this level any human gene that resembles pure genes, that hasn't mutated too much, is able to get access to the netsphere for a "restricted connexion". But domo explains that even if you have restrictions, you can extract plenty of data from the netsphere from that connexion. Domo and his friend are safeguards, the safeguards are a software which purpose is to protect those connecting to the netsphere with authorization from those trying to connect without authorization. That means, in most levels of the city, all humans without the pure genes, and all other creatures, like silicon life. On any other level, Domo would attack all humans without the net terminal gene. But, because this level is different, Domo doesn't shoot all humans, because there's a chance they have authorization to connect. There is also the fact that they have to prevent silicon life from accessing the netsphere, so their main mission is to protect humans or genetic information that could make a connection possible.

So, the silicon life on domo's level manage to steal seu's genetic information from cibo, and they try to connect to the net sphere using that genetic information. Devinelulinvega, who seems to be the main guy of the silicon life on this level, does the "restricted" connexion. When he's connecting, in the netsphere dimension when you see him crossing the river, he is actually Seu, blond hair human guy, because he is using Seu's information to get authorization. Cibo by accident most probably attaches to him and his connexion and gets access to the netsphere through him. Devinel gets killed by domo right before he finishes loading the connexion. So, he dies and you see Seu sinking into the river. He reaches with his arm and you see that something happens with his hand as if he had done something significant. And then Cibo who was sort of piggybacking devinel's connexion, takes over for a very brief instant. You see Seu's facial expression is very different, as if he were a different person. And he says something like "I just wanted to see the netsphere once", and it makes sense to me that this is Cibo, because cibo was a scientist, and she had already attempted to connect to the netsphere. We see that story in the second volume. So, devinel dies right before he finishes loading the connexion, but he manages to steal the data of a level 9 safeguard (I think the arm reaching I was talking about is that), and Cibo, who was also using that connexion, becomes the recipient for that data. Thing is, Cibo also had a very peculiar "relationship" with another safeguard, sanakan. They switched bodies at one point. And sanakan's data is probably still lingering somewhere inside Cibo. So we get, Cibo + Sanakan + Seu's genetic information (that contains or doesn't contain the net terminal gene) + Davinel + level 9 safeguard data = Level 9 safeguard Cibo + Sphere containing the child of sanakan and cibo who has net terminal gene.

The level 9 Cibo is incredibly powerful and it tries to protect its egg. When the silicon creature shoots safeguard Cibo, she retaliates and destroys everything. Then it becomes this very weak and vulnerable creature. Sanakan is sent back, to protect Cibo and the sphere, and she seems motivated by a mixture of motherly love, some kind of feelings for Cibo, and her mission. I think the difference in sanakan before and after the sphere is that before she is a mindless safeguard, like all the other robots, and after she talks and thinks and feels (I think). Sanakan after having been just a robot, generated by the out of control safeguard software, is now kind of like Killy. We know Killy is a kind of precursor to the safeguard, we learn that from the governing agency, and Killy works for them even if he seems to have forgotten that. If before she was generated by the safeguard, she is now "sent" (which is different) by the governing agency. There is no good sanakan or bad sanakan, there are just two different sanakan.

We learn afterwards what the sphere is. We also learn that it needs to be brought somewhere uncontaminated to "hatch". That's what sanakan was probably trying to do before she is killed by the silicon creatures. Then after sanakan comes back one last time and kills the silicon life, she is killed by a "terminator" safeguard who wants the sphere. Killy kills the terminator, cibo and sanakan are dead but the sphere is safe. When Sanakan is killed by the silicon life, she is sent back to the netsphere dimension. She wants to go back to the real world dimension to save cibo and the sphere, and she is talking to a silhouette who represents probably the governing agency. The silhouette says something like "if you go back and die again we can't bring your data back here, and we have no idea when we will be able to bring it back". She goes back despite the warnings from the silhouette, gets killed by the terminator safeguard, and killy walks off with the spere. Then we follow a woman who seems to find herself in an abandonned dimension. This woman is Sanakan. When the terminator kills her again, she is sent to that dimension, which appears to be a sort of limbo for software like her whose data can't be brought back to the netsphere dimension. A place where there's no time and everything stands still. Surely a dimension that was once under the control of the governing agency but slipped out of their control after everything became chaos.

So the ending is Killy finally reaching the outside of the City. The enormous city, like the time between the chapter where sanakan gets killed and the chapter when he reaches the outside is probably much longer than the whole timespan of the rest of the series. The outside is uncontaminated and the sphere hatches. A child comes out who has the net terminal gene. The person/child can access the netsphere and therefore restore order, stop the builders and the expension of the city, regain control of the safeguard, maybe regain control of the limbo dimension and save sanakan's information, exterminate silicon life, end chaos and save humanity. So Killy and the child who you can see on the last panel go on another adventure to achieve all that.

All of this is my interpretation of blame! There are a few things I'm sure of but most of it is still very vague in my mind. It's what I think is happening after having read the series many times, and reading lots of forum posts and theories. For example the making of the sphere, it's many things coming together, but we don't know how these things result in the sphere, and of these things coming together which were actually important. But I honestly think Nihei (the author) himself doesn't know what's happening exactly. And I think that's what makes this manga so good too, it's the figuring out, the trying to understand what's going on, while still knowing there's no way to know exactly.

Also sorry for the writing, I tried to make this clear, not pretty, I hope it doesn't read too badly :)
@antouene your analysis is quite interesting.

I wonder How the Administration managed to 'send' Sanakan rescue Cibo since they had lost control over Safeguards program. (As mentioned by the Administration Entity in Logs 10 and 19)
fernandeathDec 26, 2023 9:56 AM
Feb 7, 7:04 AM

Oct 2017
Really liked the visual storytelling and the main characters, Cibo and Kyrii.

So Cibo's personality was recreated from the remaining fragments and is stored, so maybe she'll be revived someday? Hope so. Kyrii managed to hatch the sphere and the child has net terminal gene too I assume? Wish there was a bit more to the ending but this fits the manga actually.
Feb 17, 6:14 PM
Sep 2023
the art was phenenomenal but the story was a biiit lacking, I get that this manga is trying to do a lot of showing without telling so you as the reader can figure out the story but it wasnt much of a story I found interest in still the art was amazing and the action scenes were pretty good 6/10
Mar 31, 5:05 PM
Mar 2018
Alright third time reading this and the extra time taken to absorb who the factions are, what their goals are, and basically what transpires in this story made it so much better trying to understand this great work. I will probably read it again plenty more times but c'mon you gotta give this work a 10/10 for the incredible art and the way the story pulls you in wanting to see how this all ends. Unfortunately it kind of ends how it began, but I do believe Killy will succeed this time around. I gotta read the other works like Noise and Blame!² to get my fill of other Nihei related works surrounding the Blame! universe and I cant wait to see what those stories add.
Apr 11, 1:45 AM
Nov 2020
as the manga went on i felt that it would have a very bland end. good overall but could have been better
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » BLAME! Chapter 65 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 23, 2011

25 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 9:55 PM

Poll: » BLAME! Chapter 57 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 23, 2011

15 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 9:38 PM

Poll: » BLAME! Chapter 49 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 23, 2011

16 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 9:22 PM

Poll: » BLAME! Chapter 42 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 23, 2011

15 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 8:37 PM

Poll: » BLAME! Chapter 38 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 23, 2011

16 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 8:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.