Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 5, 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
This show is Toei Animation going next level with their Vtuber-ish "PS4/PS5 cutscene" 3DCG being like BanG Dream!!! studio Sanzigen, it's actually not that bad, though full-on CG series has always a bad rep with anime if it's not by Orange.

FYI, the 5-member girl band Togenashi Togenari has been making waves on YouTube with their songs well before this show came out, which is centered on them.

The 17-year-old Nina Iseri, dropping out of high school trying to find success in Tokyo, she first has to find her lodging. Even with the help of her neighbours, Nina is frazzled that her stint to Tokyo has got off to a rather bad start. But after the encounter of Diamond Dust's Momoka Kawaragi, which she is a big fan of, she gets twangled in her affairs amidst the run from a rival group.

Nina's clearly been had, but her living in Momoka's house is clearly a sign of change, but her wanting to move out of the music industry after 3 years and not making anything out of it, Nina's clearly frustrated at how she's given up everything, and Momoka is standing in the same shoes as her. With Nina being left with Momoka's guitar, one final push from Nina will make the difference between chasing dreams and stopping at the road of success.

Yeah, this isn't licensed by Crunchyroll, they'd better rickroll on this...but one thing's for sure, this show's no Bocchi the Rock!.
Still though, this show could be something entirely, and I want to trust in Toei Animation's goodwill.
KANLen09Apr 6, 4:19 AM
Apr 5, 9:00 AM

Dec 2021
After the success of CloverWorks' Bocchi, it's no surprise that other studios would want to replicate that same success. The first to do so is none other than Toei Animation.

In March, at the age of 17, in her second year, Iseri Nina dropped out of high school and started living alone in Tokyo. It's a big city where she doesn't know anyone. She came here because she was inspired by a song she heard on the internet. At that moment, Nina meets a street musician playing that song.

Nina Iseri quits high school in her second year and sets her sights on entering a university while living alone in Tokyo. Betrayed by her friends, she feels lost and unsure of what to do. Another girl, abandoned by her parents, struggles to survive in the city through part-time jobs. The world constantly disappoints her, and nothing goes as planned. Yet, she yearns for something she can hold onto, believing there's a place where she belongs. That's why she sings.

Complain all you want about this being CG, but honestly, this premiere was pretty solid. I'm totally onboard for an emo Bocchi. Count me in!

Apr 5, 9:02 AM

Feb 2020
Decent start. I got some MyGo vibes pretty quickly.

Not a very impressive CGI, but it's doesn't really bother me.

Looking forward to the next episode.

SerafosApr 6, 5:44 AM
Apr 5, 10:10 AM
Jul 2020
Reply to IzanaSolos
After the success of CloverWorks' Bocchi, it's no surprise that other studios would want to replicate that same success. The first to do so is none other than Toei Animation.

In March, at the age of 17, in her second year, Iseri Nina dropped out of high school and started living alone in Tokyo. It's a big city where she doesn't know anyone. She came here because she was inspired by a song she heard on the internet. At that moment, Nina meets a street musician playing that song.

Nina Iseri quits high school in her second year and sets her sights on entering a university while living alone in Tokyo. Betrayed by her friends, she feels lost and unsure of what to do. Another girl, abandoned by her parents, struggles to survive in the city through part-time jobs. The world constantly disappoints her, and nothing goes as planned. Yet, she yearns for something she can hold onto, believing there's a place where she belongs. That's why she sings.

Complain all you want about this being CG, but honestly, this premiere was pretty solid. I'm totally onboard for an emo Bocchi. Count me in!
@IzanaSolos just one thing... preparations for this anime started back in mid 2021, so its before the success of Bocchi
Apr 5, 11:41 AM

Sep 2020
Not licensed in my country 😭
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 11:59 AM

Sep 2022
Yuri_Niji said:
Not licensed in my country 😭

Yeah no license abroad except for France with ADN. We'll have to wait for a fansub, if anyone will ever makes one. Too bad.

Apr 5, 12:47 PM
Aug 2015
I had a feeling from the very OP that this could've been a pretty good series but for the glaring presence of certain stylistic choices. As it is, I can still enjoy it as background noise so long as I don't actually view it. Bocchi it isn't.
Apr 5, 2:34 PM
Jan 2024
there’s no english sub :(
Apr 5, 2:45 PM
Apr 2022
Awww, this means its needs community fansubs.
Such a pity, likely another truly buried gem that the West overlooked like Blue Orchestra! :(
Apr 5, 3:41 PM

Aug 2022
Congratulations on the release of the first episode of this anime! Enjoy watching.

Apr 5, 5:58 PM

Aug 2015
This was awesome! A little silly at the end with the microphone thing but other than that I'm enjoying the vibes from this. I'm also so happy I was right that this would be really nice looking. The character expressions and faces are really nice and the cgi of them is generally quite nice. There are some moments that look a bit off where I think they would need to have even more movement (cgi typically needs to have much more character movement since it's not frame by frame animation). Also the background characters aren't really all that great obviously, it's hard to do something about for a tv show like this since it's not a billion dollar pixar production, but it is something that makes it look off. If this will have good songs and a likable cast I think this might get some attention despite the cg
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 5, 6:03 PM

Jun 2015
Good start so far, just hope it continues being this light when it comes to "drama" parts.
Apr 5, 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
where are you guys watching this 💀??
Apr 5, 6:10 PM

Jan 2014
Reply to removed-user
where are you guys watching this 💀??
@BoringSalad The high seas
Apr 5, 6:35 PM
Dec 2016
The subs for the one I watched were bad, had it say "its joever" for its over plus other things I noticed. But besides that it really enjoyed it
Apr 5, 6:42 PM
Apr 2022
xd con xd no me importa
Apr 5, 6:48 PM

Nov 2010
  • ugly CGI movement.
  • band performance is not bad. (but the composition and the lyrics are nothing special)
Apr 5, 7:24 PM
Dec 2022
Oh, this started out nice. Not too bad.
Apr 5, 7:32 PM

Nov 2011
Episode was FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! CG didnt even bother me. Art and Production value went crazy!

OST, OP, and ED were all incredibly good. Potential to be one of the best "Band" anime ever.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 5, 7:35 PM

Apr 2020
SO GOOD!!!! Impressive 3d animation ngl
Can’t wait for episode 2!
Nina supporter for life💕
Apr 5, 9:35 PM
Nov 2020
First, I thought that I would not enjoy this anime due to the CG animation, but honestly, it looks great compared to other animes with the same type of animation. The only thing is that some movements feel too exaggerated, but that's subjective.

I will keep watching it, I want to see how this will develop.
Apr 5, 9:38 PM

Nov 2023
New art style experiment by Toei animation. It looks stunning for me.

Let's see what happens next week.
I might never be the hands you put your heart in
Or the arms that hold you any time you want them
But that don't mean that we can't live here in the moment
'Cause I can be the one you love from time to time
Apr 5, 9:40 PM
Jan 2020
This is waay better than I thought it would be, was sure this was just a cashgrab to make a gacha game disguised as a rythm game
Apr 5, 10:06 PM
Dec 2023
Someone help; where can I watch this show?
Apr 5, 10:26 PM
Mar 2020
the fan sub isn't great but it isn't terrible. i think they need to 1: stay away from meme-y stuff like joever and 2: just have someone decent at english look over their word choice
the CG isn't terrible either though it dont love it
Apr 5, 10:31 PM

Nov 2015
Absolutely cheap looking animation and a mediocre story. It's like if Bocchi the Rock was made by a giant soulless corporation. Oh...wait...that's exactly what it is!
Apr 5, 10:43 PM

Mar 2024
The first chapter looks promising. The gloomy atmosphere reminds me of MyGO, and like this one, it seems to be an introspective journey. The main character, Nina, strikes me as similar to Tomori, but she finds herself in a similar situation to Anon. While, I find similarities between the two shows, I expect this anime to shine in its own way.
SorachinApr 5, 10:47 PM
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 5, 10:46 PM

Mar 2024
Reply to delta5
Absolutely cheap looking animation and a mediocre story. It's like if Bocchi the Rock was made by a giant soulless corporation. Oh...wait...that's exactly what it is!
@delta5 You are a superficial viewer.
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 5, 11:03 PM

Sep 2018
Healing through comradery and music and pursuing dreams, love the simple message behind the show and it's something I can get behind. A bit cheesy, but the character dynamics seem fun.
Apr 6, 12:12 AM
Jan 2022
as soon as i saw the cg. dropped it
Apr 6, 12:16 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to Sorachin
@delta5 You are a superficial viewer.
@Sorachin Nah they're right, it looks dog, 3D is souless.
Apr 6, 1:02 AM

May 2019
The environment CG is decent but on the other hand the character models are not polished enough and they don't blend well with the surrounding. The cat is even rendered furless on few occasions. The character acting and expression are decently expressive at least. The music felt rather generic on the first hearing. The show has a good setup for a character drama.

Apr 6, 2:06 AM
May 2021
cgi movements are a bit awkward but not bad enough to be unwatchable imo. overall the first episode was okay; nothing too outstanding. some scenes were a little confusing, but that could just be because the one i watched had really messed up subs so the dialogue really didn't make sense at times.

her running through the rain with the guitar not in a case and then dropping it on the pavement made me physically recoil. it hurt me internally so bad. hoping the story will pick up a bit more in the next episode or two.
My 2023 candies:
Apr 6, 2:21 AM
Jan 2021
much better then bocchi
Apr 6, 2:22 AM
Feb 2018
Is Bang Dreams made competently. The background music is good, but songs are very generic.
This show won't be remembered when is done.
Apr 6, 3:48 AM

Oct 2011
Started this just because I like idol and band stuff, but damn, it's actually so good with an interesting story.
I loved the choice they made to portray Nina's negative emotions as lines coming from her body, i feel like it made it much more impactful.
Really enjoyed the song and the visuals when they performed, can't wait for more, I guess I'm gonna research them know.
Apr 6, 3:55 AM
Mar 2024
Generally speaking, CG is good. I won't deny that unpolished cloth material could look ugly under certain circumstances, and can indeed give people a cheap-looking impression. However the use of light and environment is striking, and visual effects are quite interesting. You can clearly discern the efforts invested to smooth characters' poses and expressions. As a experimental art style I'd regard it highly.

The story's pace is not perfect. Some insertions are just too sudden.

However the music is definitely stunning. The BGM and the OP's instrumentation are top-notch. While the insertion song may seem ordinary at first glance, it still holds its own.
Apr 6, 4:06 AM
Nov 2023
The animation is decent
Apr 6, 4:27 AM

Jan 2016
I liked a lot the atmospheric vibes for this one. Checked the band songs and they are pretty bangers ngl
Character settings of running away from home to find a dream to chase is something I've already seen endless time but not bad

Toei is like the only other studio aside of Orange that can do good CGI so I'm liking so far, the weird mouth shapes do annoy me tho...
Apr 6, 4:40 AM

May 2015
Pretty good CGI animation, but there was not a line drawn by hand here at least not in the old way. I mean I would have liked it better if at least the main characters and the cat have been hand drawn or shaded, blured whatever in a way that would gave the illusion of an old hand drawing like they do it in other series. We definitely will lose something in this decade, maybe see the last generation that does it the old way. Otherwise it was crisp, the backgrounds would have been seen only in movies a decade ago.

Storywise the main girl brought Sayuri to my mind who had been a street musican before she became famous when her music was used in anime openings / endings. Very promising start, I will definitely follow this.
IshitatesoApr 6, 6:57 AM
Apr 6, 4:54 AM
Oct 2015
I am the only one that felt the story feels rushed, like there is almost no pause on any conversations that going on in this episode? It's like they are trying to cover 10% of written scenario with one episode. Also, CGI was pretty good in comparison to some other anime this season.
Apr 6, 5:39 AM

Apr 2018
Pretty decent CG, the facial animation is very expressive.
Apr 6, 6:16 AM

Jan 2017
The CGI is meh as always, the main character is all over the place, it has very silly jokes and some extremely dumb moments. Not particularly bad, but really not what I expected.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 6, 6:22 AM

Apr 2022
toei back with more cgi. it isn't absolutely horrid, i can get around it but its still not something i enjoy looking at. welp all my hype is gone now.
Apr 6, 6:24 AM
Aug 2018
I didn't have high hopes for this at first, but I was bored and wanted to see where the show goes. It surprisingly got me hooked immediately somewhere halfway to the episode and I found myself actually enjoying this show. Can't wait for the next ep

(Who in the world put Joever in the sub HAHAHAHA)
Apr 6, 6:32 AM
Jan 2024
where are you guys finding fansubs
Apr 6, 6:55 AM
Apr 2022
3D CGI mocap looks decent for the main characters.

The rigging and motion animation for the background characters (ie the people walking at the train station, and the cat, looked awkward, so the quality is inconsistent here. Prioritizing the budget?)

This may be new, but Toei is making use of the frame rate, at 60fps, rather than the usual 24, which the usual CGI benchmark studios Sanzigen and Orange still adhere to. You see this as the MC puts down her cup and then grabs a stool; all very good and humorous, taking advantage of the higher frame rates.

Ah well, I think the CGI of Sanzigen and Studio Orange is better, their 3D work is polished down to 2D. You notice this during the OP...where the animation seems more....traditional? Then we move to the show proper, where the 3D used here is different and makes it distractible... I keep on thinking, the OP animation was so good...why is it not in the show itself??

Also, you can still make out the 3D polygons sometimes, and the 3D physics, like the clothes and hair physics animations still look kinda puffy and slow gravity...at least its not as badly atrocious as Kizuna Ai.
Apr 6, 7:26 AM
Apr 2021
So is the voice actor singing in the insert songs? They sound pretty similar.
Apr 6, 7:40 AM
Jan 2022
Looks good despite the CG.
Apr 6, 8:16 AM

Jun 2016
This much content should at least be told in 2 episodes. I know it's Hanada being Hanada, but I couldn't quite feel his magic here. Maybe I'm still bitter about Superstar 2, I think he should stick to writing adaptations atm; he's doing pretty well there.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vote here if you want them all move to the same apartment and living together!

mufarari - May 15

6 by mufarari »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 12

69 by kuzamine »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 7 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 17

38 by HyperlinkBlocked »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 5 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 3

45 by Myetx »»
May 16, 5:40 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 10

32 by FelloniusWizard »»
May 16, 2:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.