Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 4, 6:27 AM

Aug 2021
Ok, Emilia fans. Pause for a second. If the story was written from Emilia's perspective, I am 100% sure that she would choose Reinhard over Subaru anyday. He's friendly, compassionate, brave, very elegant, handsome, tall and dreamy guy that girls tend to love fall in love with.
I get that Subaru is supposed to be a flawed character but I think Emilia fans just see her as a waifu rather than a full-fledged person. If you put yourself in Emilia's place, it's very easy to see why she would fall in love with this guy rather than NEET dude from another world.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 4, 7:02 AM
Jul 2023
Well yeah but this is a generic power fantasy so obviously the main heroine would fall in love with the main character
Apr 4, 7:03 AM
Feb 2023
I think you are right and I respect your opinion but subaru is subaru . I love Subaru x emilia ship
Apr 4, 7:17 AM
Jul 2022
i get your point dude, reinhard is a noble man and you already explained his qualities but for me innocent girls like emila also have a choice for boys like subaru who are gentle and kind but also explain there feelings more and act more rather than being a quite gentelman and i think that emila and rem both fond of subaru's childish side....and sorry for by bad english😅
Apr 4, 7:23 AM

Sep 2018
You could say that about most isekai in general that the tall pretty boy would land the harem over mc if being realistic. Every girl in that show would chose 6"3 Ruijerd over to max height rudeus 5"9. Shoujo anime already have the pretty boy win though they are unrealistic for the guy staying loyal to just 1 girl.
Apr 4, 7:40 AM

Jul 2015
If Emilia would be a shallow girl, then she would because Reinhardt is THE Gary Stu like Tatsuya or Kirito.

Apr 4, 7:46 AM
Oct 2020
I agree with you, but I think that both are valid options. Subaru is shown to be a caring guy who cares for Emilia. Also, Emilia appreciates that he doesn’t look down on her for being an elf. So, although he isn’t the strongest person, and he is a little weird, it makes sense for Emilia to fall for him
Also enjoy this image from a Reddit post discussing whether Subaru can be considered hot

https://www.reddit.com/r/Re_Zero/comments/v42lpg/media_not_gonna_lie_subaru_looks_hot_extremely/
Apr 4, 7:49 AM

Jul 2021
That's not all there is to it though. You're reaching a wrong conclusion based on oversimplification and exclusion of relevant factors.

For 1, she has a prejudice of a prejudice that other people may have towards her. That and the fact that she's a candidate means that she's cynical and doesn't trust other people's intentions, which you might remember is kind of a big deal with subaru before the start his redemption.

There's also the fact that being nice doesn't mean being nice to everyone. In all of her self deprecation she's sure that Reinhart would not be willing to support her through thick and thin (which in reality he might as well not want to), and it was only after A LOT that she accepted the fact that Subaru actually was.
Apr 4, 7:49 AM

Apr 2012
Even as a Rem fan, I can tell you no. Because love is not necessarily based on appearance and she developed love for Subaru later than the first arc. There are a lot of shows where the writers literally build artificial fences around the characters to get the right couples like the Mahouka, G-Witch or Nisekoi, but ReZero is not that type of story.
Apr 4, 7:53 AM
Jul 2017
If the story is in Emilia POV, I can see her have a crush on Reinhard first, but when she got to spend time with Surbru more and more, she start having feelings for Surbru instead
Apr 4, 8:03 AM
Feb 2024
i dont like to say it but these replies are made up of too much incel-like assumptions. Sure reinhardt is attractive,strong and noble but surely you don’t think love is that shallow right? Subaru has done so much for emilia, has a proximity advantage, is funny/has charisma and is quite noble in his own way. Just because someone is attractive does not mean they can go around bagging any girl they want, there needs to be an emotional connection. Like rem, I doubt she saw subaru as attractive or something but he helped her overcome her trauma,saved her emotionally and physically. Since it’s quite an impossible feat to ask u guys to talk to women, at least read some good shoujo or better yet josei so u can get a better understanding of romance Lol.
Apr 4, 8:13 AM

Apr 2020
Piromysl said:
If Emilia would be a shallow girl, then she would because Reinhardt is THE Gary Stu like Tatsuya or Kirito.

Pretty harsh.

What‘s wrong with fancying the succesful, strong guy over the whiny dude who has a hard time getting his shit together? o.O

That doesn’t really strike me as a shallow way to choose. It‘s kinda weird that she likes Subaru … I think OP got a point. (For once)
Apr 4, 8:17 AM

Jul 2015
Merve2Love said:
Piromysl said:

Pretty harsh.

What‘s wrong with fancying the succesful, strong guy over the whiny dude who has a hard time getting his shit together? o.O

That doesn’t really strike me as a shallow way to choose. It‘s kinda weird that she likes Subaru … I think OP got a point. (For once)

Emilia did not fell in love with Subaru from episode one but with Subaru from the end of Season 3 because you know... character development.
And if she would thirst over Reinhard who is one dimensional and shallow character, then it would mean she is one as well. But she is not.

Apr 4, 8:18 AM
Mar 2021
Well where is he? You gotta remember that Subaru rubbed off on her in her time of needs. Yeah he kinda made a fool of himself in front of her by proclaiming to being her knight… but he did achieve that. Also Emilia was in a really dark place before she took the trials..
Apr 4, 8:20 AM

Apr 2020
Piromysl said:
Merve2Love said:

Pretty harsh.

Emilia did not fell in love with Subaru from episode one but with Subaru from the end of Season 3 because you know... character development.
And if she would thirst over Reinhard who is one dimensional and shallow character, then it would mean she is one as well. But she is not.

Yeah, well… I didn‘t really question that xD

But I get what you mean. Subaru, as the Mc, gets to have a bit more developement, naturally

Thirsting over someone who‘s kind, cool, attractive and good at what he does is still not really a bad or shallow thing to do…for me at least ^^

But oh well…nevermind. Subaru it is 🫶🏻
Merve2LoveApr 4, 8:27 AM
Apr 4, 8:31 AM
Sep 2023
I think what matters more is how Emilia spent more time with Subaru (i think) and the fact that despite Subaru not being a particularly awesome person he cares about her and does a lot for her.
Apr 4, 8:41 AM

Jan 2019
This is one of the dumbest threads with a lot of misinformation.

Also, a lot of people underestimate Subaru's looks. He is very rare in Lugunica; that eye and hair color make him unique among others. People are more attracted to someone rare. If you see blondes everywhere, you will not be attracted to blondes, but if blondes are rare, you will be more attracted to them, and so on.

I haven't even explained the dumb part of the thread yet. Emilia is hugely terrible at romance, more than anyone else. She is like Frieren in a sense, or Frieren is like her, and Himmel is Subaru.

One of my theories is that Subaru will permanently die before Emilia even confesses to him.
OkeanixApr 4, 8:48 AM

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Apr 4, 8:45 AM
Jun 2023
love is not just about being perfect but it's about choice and who will understand you better, subaru will never leave fl , he actually died many times , fl may not know that but she understands his pain and sorrow, she know he is struggling with something, women has different taste, princess may fall in love with a rough with some good qualities, being a gentleman doesn't mean every woman falls for you, it's just that emila and rin has different taste.
sorry if I did any mistakes.
Apr 4, 9:00 AM
Nov 2023
Bolona07 said:
Well yeah but this is a generic power fantasy so obviously the main heroine would fall in love with the main character

power fantasy where the MC got almost 0 power. best power fantasy Fr Fr
Apr 4, 9:05 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to Okeanix
This is one of the dumbest threads with a lot of misinformation.

Also, a lot of people underestimate Subaru's looks. He is very rare in Lugunica; that eye and hair color make him unique among others. People are more attracted to someone rare. If you see blondes everywhere, you will not be attracted to blondes, but if blondes are rare, you will be more attracted to them, and so on.

I haven't even explained the dumb part of the thread yet. Emilia is hugely terrible at romance, more than anyone else. She is like Frieren in a sense, or Frieren is like her, and Himmel is Subaru.

One of my theories is that Subaru will permanently die before Emilia even confesses to him.
@Okeanix If you have read or watched some romances targeted at women, it's very easy to guess why Emilia would go after Reinhard
Apr 4, 9:51 AM
Jul 2023
Cool-Jar said:
Bolona07 said:

💀 my entire argument just got destroyed
Apr 4, 10:06 AM
Jul 2023
Cool-Jar said:
Bolona07 said:

Apr 4, 10:14 AM

Mar 2012
As a woman and a fan of the character, I believe that love goes beyond appearance.

And just thinking about appearance... I like black hair more than red... XD.

So it also depends on taste.
Apr 4, 10:39 AM
Jun 2023
Would Emilia really be able to like Reinhard in that way in the first place tho?

We know from her past that she has difficulties with humans due to her half elf genetics. I get your point about how Reinhard is way superior to Subaru. However Subaru was always there for her whether in the sanctuary or mansion when things fell apart. Moreover , Emilia knows Subaru is weak for a matter of fact and that he is doing things out of his abilities just for her. What wouldn't make Emilia choose a man like that? One that is sincere and earnest , doing whatever it takes to show her the reassurance and love she deserves.
Apr 4, 11:22 AM

Mar 2023
But this is an isekai and since you're making her main character, she'd just get transported to Wallmart and long distance wouldn't work out
Apr 4, 11:25 AM

Aug 2018
It doesn’t really make sense for Emilia to have random crushes on people, and if she did, why would it be a knight of another candidate to the throne? Her desire to take the throne to unfreeze her people and her deep insecurity from being hated for looking like the witch precedes any feelings of romance that aren’t uniquely special, especially the reasons you just listed for why she should fall in love with Reinhard. And if you rewatch, you can clearly observe through interactions that she doesn’t feel romantic love for Subaru in S1, and it’s more of a one sided love on Subaru’s end.

And yes, Emilia developing a love for Subaru would make sense. Him being involved with Emilia is the result of the first arc, that’s just the way the story begins. Beyond that, he’s one of the only people who can view her as a the girl Emilia first before the universally feared witch, and because of his personality he just honestly blurts his feelings out in this flirty way. Even Puck constantly confirms with whatever mind reading abilities that Subaru is being honest. This is surprising, because it’s impossible for 99.9% of other people due to how ingrained the fear of the witch is. Emilia has never been on the receiving end of an admittedly simple, but truly honest love.

But Emilia has objectives she must achieve and the Re:Zero world is harsh. It is because of his power, but Subaru has worked extremely hard to be able to stay by her side. Everything he has gone through in season 1 and season 2 cement this. It just makes sense for the story to go in the direction of Emilia eventually reciprocating Subaru’s feelings.
Apr 4, 11:27 AM

Dec 2022
Because Subaru is the main character, not Reinhard. That aside, fiction has never had to adhere to realism, especially if said realism only pertains to general social and psychological behaviours like hypergamy.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 4, 12:31 PM
Sep 2023
It wouldn’t make sense for her to fall in love with rineheart as she mostly loves subaru because of how accepting he is and how faithful he is and the fact he doesn’t care about her blood
Apr 4, 1:23 PM
Jan 2021
Ya know, girls are people too, they just don’t always go for the hottest dude around. You don’t like someone just because they are hot, lol.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 4, 2:46 PM

Nov 2019
He's another candidate's personal guard. It's business and politics, nothing personal =))
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 4, 4:24 PM
Feb 2024
by that logic every girl in the world would fall for ryan gosling and would not love anyone else
Apr 4, 4:31 PM

Jun 2021
there's a lot of stupid ass threads on mal but this one stands out ngl, please go outside bro
Jun 2020
Who wouldn't fall in love by a cringe idiot with depression and low self-esteem?
Jun 2020
dantehasdantedme said:
by that logic every girl in the world would fall for ryan gosling and would not love anyone else

Well, that is kinda true.
Apr 4, 4:35 PM
Feb 2024
mohamedo_abuduru said:
there's a lot of stupid ass threads on mal but this one stands out ngl, please go outside bro

i swear mal threads are brainrotting af
Apr 4, 11:33 PM
Oct 2021
Reinhard would be a crush at best. We’ve gotten little to no screen time with him and I can’t remember one proper conversation between them.
Apr 4, 11:45 PM
Jan 2024
Realistic? This is anime
Apr 5, 1:55 AM
Jan 2023
Bolona07 said:

idk if this is bait or something but how is re zero a power fantasy ?
Apr 5, 2:01 AM

Jun 2021
Reply to Xjebtvybrhfye
Bolona07 said:

idk if this is bait or something but how is re zero a power fantasy ?
@Xjebtvybrhfye because that guy didn't like it
Apr 5, 2:03 AM
Jan 2023
mohamedo_abuduru said:
@Xjebtvybrhfye because that guy didn't like it

i didn't like it that much either tbh just curious as to why anyone would think it's a power fantasy when the mc literally struggles throughout the entire story
Apr 5, 4:15 AM
Nov 2023
Bolona07 said:
Cool-Jar said:

idk if it was sarcasm or not but Emilia fell in love with Subaru cuz Subaru was always by Emilia's side saving him doing heroic stuff while also being supportive and caring in the other hand she thinks of reinhard as a kind powerful and a person who she can rely on when needed who saved them in the mansion Reinhardt is just not close with Emilia enough
Apr 5, 6:42 AM
Apr 2017
Reinhard already belongs to Felt.
Apr 5, 10:29 AM
Mar 2023
I don't get how people are genuinely discussing who she would fall for and the psychology of it? she met reinhart once??? she's not gonna fall for him like that. the only other time was when they were literally on different sides of a succession war???? like maybe u could argue who suits her better or something but even then it's Subaru since he helped her trauma and completes her flaws! but if you're talking about who she'd fall for from her pov it's just always Subaru because he's the one who's with her? u want her to fall for Reinhart on first glance as a distrusting person?
Apr 5, 6:27 PM

Sep 2020
She spends like no time around or getting to know Reinhard. On top of that hes hardcore pledged to another candidate. This is the weirdest take, like what?
Apr 5, 9:07 PM

Nov 2019
Realistically speaking, it's actually quite strange for Emillia to fall in love with NEET Subaru. Subaru is just a plain-looking guy, regardless of how well-developed or  well-written his character is. I prefer Reinhard for Emillia since, like the OP said, he's elegant with good looks to back it up.
Apr 5, 10:32 PM
Jan 2024
if subaru wasn’t here emilia probably choose reinhard over subaru, but subaru is here
Apr 6, 4:21 AM

Jul 2017
this is such a "touch grass" thread. Romance isnt just about looks or strength you morons 😂
Apr 6, 4:23 AM

Jul 2017
Sanjay63773 said:
Ok, Emilia fans. Pause for a second. If the story was written from Emilia's perspective, I am 100% sure that she would choose Reinhard over Subaru anyday. He's friendly, compassionate, brave, very elegant, handsome, tall and dreamy guy that girls tend to love fall in love with.
I get that Subaru is supposed to be a flawed character but I think Emilia fans just see her as a waifu rather than a full-fledged person. If you put yourself in Emilia's place, it's very easy to see why she would fall in love with this guy rather than NEET dude from another world.

Its YOU that sees emilia like a waifu, 😂
Apr 6, 10:00 AM
Apr 2021
rohan121 said:
You could say that about most isekai in general that the tall pretty boy would land the harem over mc if being realistic. Every girl in that show would chose 6"3 Ruijerd over to max height rudeus 5"9. Shoujo anime already have the pretty boy win though they are unrealistic for the guy staying loyal to just 1 girl.

You know Rujerd is literally mortally feared by like every on that knows the superd right.
Apr 6, 12:51 PM
Aug 2023
No cause emelia is a well written character
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.