Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 5:26 PM
May 2022
KANLen09 said:
We've waited for THIS LONG for a reboot of one of anime's most famous classics: novelist Isuna Hasekura's Spice and Wolf, AFTER 16 YEARS, for the LN's 15th anniversary celebration. A proper adaptation this will be one.

The classic cast and staff are back: Ami Koshimizu as Holo, Jun Fukuyama as Kraft Lawrence, and Takeo Takahashi as chief director of the reboot, so the nostalgia in us knows that the reboot will be in safe hands.

Hana Hope's OP captures the reboot quite nicely. Kevin Penkin's OST, it HITS you hard, and it's going to be great. And ClariS's ED is the perfect sweet spot for this.

As usual, Lawrence is the travelling merchant with amounts of fur, and he witnesses a bountiful yare harvest, which sounds like foxes. And wherever he goes, he keeps on moving, only to find a suspicious figure within the midst of his fur bounty. The wolf girl named Holo, also coincidentally the name of the harvest god, she's just a demihuman and nothing more. That's when Lawrence, unconvincingly needs substantial evidence, which after eating some grains of wheat, evolved her into a real wolf girl, whic she chose not to in front of him. Disillusioned, he heads back to the village, where people are singing her praises, which doesn't make his situation any better, more or less that the village doesn't really need her anymore.

The journey of Holo going back home, with Lawrence, is this only the beginning of an old and classic adventure, on the road once again.

Spring has already ONE BIG HIT with thie reboot, and there's more to go.

I thought the ost was really fitting and now I know why. Kevin Penkin for the win!
Apr 1, 5:27 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Cautiously optimistic but this was a great pilot episode!

I remember Season 2 being very rushed and too economics focused but here’s to hoping they’ll manage that part better this time around. It’s incredible that the same VAs are reprising their roles here, I’m looking forward to more for sure.

Similar Op to the OG although of course it’ll take a bit more time to warm up to this one, that’s how good it was! As for the ED, this has got the right claris mix and adventure through medieval Europe vibes, great pick!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 1, 5:31 PM
Aug 2022
After many years, we get to watch remake.
I'm glad I watched it.
Apr 1, 5:36 PM

Apr 2022
hell yeah i'm glad holo and lawrence are back, good reboot so far. i'm still kinda skeptical about the art change but the visuals are clean af. we're in for a treat with 25 episodes, if it stays like this then i might end up giving it the same rating i gave the original.
Apr 1, 5:48 PM

Mar 2020
More closer to the source material+great ost and acting.
Yup its already good in my books(The original did some changes which I wasnt a fan of sooo)
Apr 1, 5:49 PM
Apr 2019
Love how alive holo is with this remake
Apr 1, 5:55 PM
Jan 2021
I now understand why this show has so much hentai.
Apr 1, 5:56 PM

Aug 2015
First impressions compared to original:

• I like the art style of the original more
  • I like the art direction in the original more, better mood of some of the environments
  • The drawings in the remake are more well made / more detailed, the wheat for example
  • The opening of the original is 100x better, both song and visuals
  • The ending of the remake is better
  • The remake doesn't seem to make use of its background music as much during scenes which I don't like, some of the remake songs are really nice like the ones with vocals but the instrumentals are weaker than the og (for example hunt wolf scene)
  • Holo's character design is better in the original, she had more smug faces in the old show which I missed here (went back and compared)
  • Remake first ep felt slower cause the barn scene with the other girl is gone, but maybe that was anime original (have not read source material, so can't speak on accuracy)
  • Remake has better light effects

Good start, but it's going to take much more to convince me that this is an improvement over the old show
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 1, 5:59 PM
May 2017
Excellent beginning episode! Welcome back, Lawrence and Holo. I missed you so much...

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 1, 6:12 PM
May 2017
Reply to Kaori222
I now understand why this show has so much hentai.
@Kaori222 Ecchi, but it is completely natural and part of the story.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 1, 6:38 PM
Nov 2022
it's amazing, i'm love it
Apr 1, 6:46 PM
Apr 2021
I haven't read the light novels yet but this adaptation seems to be more faithful to the light novel than the 2008 anime was. Especially because Yarei is actually there instead of Chloe. I mean Chloe is here as a mere Easter egg background character, but I honestly prefer a more novel accurate adaptation. I also prefer the new art style as it is closer to the art in the light novel. Also Myuri being in the opening scene is extremely hype
OtakuKokiriApr 1, 6:50 PM
Apr 1, 6:51 PM
Jul 2014
It's so sweet and beautiful, for the people that know Spice and Wolf it's exquisite, for the newcomers, you will love it, try the LN l8er
Apr 1, 7:41 PM

Jun 2015
This is like getting blasted in the face nostalgia. I love the new animation style that Passione is going with.

OMG why are the opening and ending so fire?!

I'm glad they're doing a reboot instead of continuing from that awful season 2.

This is gonna be a very good show.
Read Toriko!
Apr 1, 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
good start to the series
Apr 1, 7:47 PM

Sep 2017
We got a Chloe cameo
~ May all the beauty be blessed ~
Apr 1, 8:15 PM

Mar 2022
The nostalgia of greatness and feels is already second to none right off the start. I loved how they started off with Holo retelling the tale to Myuri knowing how many knew the story, read the LN and perhaps even played the rather recent VR game showcasing the happy family of three.
Apr 1, 8:18 PM
Jan 2024
good start although I don't know anything about the work but it shows that it is good
Apr 1, 8:24 PM

Jun 2013
So good to see Holo and Lawrence again. These two have one my favorite dynamic of any lead pair in anime. Also Having Yarei make his appearance in place of Chloe certainly tells me this will probably follow the LNs more closely. Looking forward to that.

Gotta say I still have a soft spot for OP and ED of the 2008 series. OST also has a high bar to clear for me, but I think Kevin Penkin's talent has been established at this point and he'll do this story justice.
-Trippwire-Apr 1, 9:29 PM
Apr 1, 8:29 PM

Feb 2013
Comment I made on the Toho trailer still applies.

Apr 1, 8:32 PM

Jul 2020
It's finally here! After 15 years we're finally getting a faithful adaption of the LNs without any anime original content which is good, but this first episode looked / felt so...bland. The animation looks somewhat "generic modern fantasy anime" and I don't like Holo's new design one fucking bit. Really wish another studio would've picked this up instead of Passione.
Apr 1, 8:35 PM
Sep 2016
No! CGI carriages, CGI dances, now the anime is ruined!!! Worst anime of the year!!!
(said some entitled spoiled teen somewhere)

Anime intro, ashen haired girl. F* you show for spoiling Ookami to Youhishi!!! wwwwwww

Holo is still one of the best waifu after all these years!!!!

Male Yarei! Finally, no longer will we have a "gender-bender" Yarei in the old anime. wwwwww
Although, it's 2024, everyone are binary or forced to be one if they have to!!!! wwwwww

PS: Will the snake be adapted this time? The old anime skipped that one. It's not really important, but still, just curious.

PPS: Shout out to Lawrence, feeding his horse some premium fresh lettuce like that. The horse live like a sultan!!!!
uncleqrowApr 1, 8:44 PM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Apr 1, 9:27 PM

Jul 2014

I like it, I like it a lot. I watched the first episode of the original series a few years ago but didn't continue beyond that. This time I'm really looking forward to more.

I already love Holo, she's great. And one thing I remember from the original is Holo's doll body nudity which I wasn't a fan of, I really prefer her being covered naturally to some weird nudity.

There's also Lawrence who I don't know if he's old or it's just the hair. It gives me a weird feeling xD.

And the opening scene. I think after seeing the main characters it's easy to know what's going on there. Interesting.
Apr 1, 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to mshfqtny
Looks great. Has more ecchi then before. Which is unsurprising considering the studio. Also I just found out that Chloe was never on the light novel. I only read ln after the season 2. I'm surprised that they included myuuri

I really wished that they would've kept the old ed. But i guess this one isn't bad either.
@mshfqtny Less fanservice, actually. Well, aside from that one pretty epic side-view shot. Of course, this doesn't actually matter.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 1, 9:43 PM
Feb 2020
i want ask
this is remake?? or new season??
Apr 1, 9:43 PM
Jan 2021
Having never seen the original show, I can say that the animation quality and character designs are all fantastic! It seems like Frieren may have been inspired by the original light novels and anime of Spice And Wolf. I enjoyed the episode quite a lot and the opening is fantastic! Should I watch the original incomplete show, or just stick with this one?
Apr 1, 9:44 PM
May 2022
Ataeru12 said:
i want ask
this is remake?? or new season??

Remake so everybody can watch it
Apr 1, 9:47 PM
May 2022
As someone completely new to Spice and Wolf I have one question for the Fans of the series bc I didnt really get it in ep1. He got scared bc of her true form and when it showed her true form under the moonlight she just looked like always.
Do I not understand sth here, is it not shown or whats going on here? xD
Apr 1, 10:10 PM
Feb 2020
Phoenix_Trite said:
@Wieczorny I read up to volume 8 and of them, volume 4 is my favorite. I really hope they don't skip it.

*spoilers who have not read up to vol 4* VOL 3 and 4 are GOD TEIR ESPECIALLY VOL 4, it feels like vol 4 really changes the story direction towards that of the pagan gods which I love SO MUCH.
Apr 1, 11:18 PM

Apr 2023
Great news!! Holo is back!!! As cute as always!!!
I hope the millionaire investor paid for the reboot + 3rd season for her anime too😎
Apr 1, 11:20 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to Mizaru_
As someone completely new to Spice and Wolf I have one question for the Fans of the series bc I didnt really get it in ep1. He got scared bc of her true form and when it showed her true form under the moonlight she just looked like always.
I love that they kept the visual style of the ED from the original

@Mizaru_
Mizaru_ said:
He got scared bc of her true form and when it showed her true form under the moonlight she just looked like always.
Do I not understand sth here, is it not shown or whats going on here?

There's a brief flash of a lot more fur just before he falls back in fear... that's all they show for now. She changed back quickly because he was so scared
Apr 1, 11:33 PM
Jan 2021
We are soo damn back babyyyy lets goooo.....
Apr 1, 11:33 PM
Dec 2021
At long last Spice and Wolf is back!! What a lovely first episode that was, I can't wait to see how the rest turns out. I wonder how much of the story they'll adapt this time? I'd hope more, but only time will tell.
Apr 2, 12:00 AM
Apr 2013
Reply to DatRandomDude
we are so fucking back
@DatRandomDude LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO
Apr 2, 12:17 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Loved Kevin Penkin's music on this. Though I liked his latest work on Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, Chinese-styled music is not my cup of tea.

I had watched the original and so far this version is looking good. I distrust Passione since they ruined Higurashi, I hope that doesn't happen again.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 2, 12:35 AM

Jul 2010
Really want to like it, but not happy about the changes they've made from the LN...

Apr 2, 1:11 AM
Mar 2024
really similar to the original
Apr 2, 1:14 AM
Nov 2018
Pretty good first ep. Gonna be a slow burn bu to see some of that famous chemistry.

Though yes you can see the edge of cg.
Apr 2, 1:14 AM
Jan 2018
Reply to Mizaru_
@Mizaru_ they didn't show the viewer the full form. it happened really fast & when Lawrence got scared Holo immediately changed back to her human form
Apr 2, 1:15 AM
Sep 2016
ARE WE READY FOR SOME ECONOMICS!
LET'S GOOOOU
Apr 2, 1:45 AM

Oct 2020
Holo is very naughty little doggy.
Apr 2, 1:48 AM

Jun 2015
I'm 26 years old man right now, watching my ever so glorified Spice and Wolf. One of the series that I'm willing to stand up and defend for. And now I see Lawrence and Holo moving on my screen once again.

Boy... Time passes. But surely, it can be a good thing like what is happening right now.
Apr 2, 2:26 AM
Jan 2022
Top one of the best story out there. Holo best girl ever!!!
Apr 2, 2:27 AM
Oct 2019
Holo!! 😍

Kevin Penkin with another Banger OST 🔥🔥🔥

I never got the chance to watch the OG, so this Remake is just perfect for me.
Apr 2, 2:43 AM
Oct 2016
I was initially a little worried with this as the studios track record wasn't the most stellar when it comes to anime but seeing the first episode, those concerns have been mainly dispelled. The CGI while looks a little jank at some moments (when holo is rising out of the wagon) it is primarily not CGI and the non-cgi parts look beautiful. The music is also fantastic with tracks that rival the original and with some even arguably better. while its missing some stuff that really i feel like added to the characters and atmosphere in the light novels it is quite a faithful adaptation and really is a strong introduction for people to the start of one of my favorite adventures of all time. Overall, I am so so happy they actually released this. My friends always called me cope for hoping for a s3 of spice and wolf since i initially watched it in 2009. While this is not a sequel, seeing a remake of this quality is literally seeing one of my dreams come true and I hope this time it gets a similar treatment to fruits basket and we could hopefully watch Lawrence and Holo go to the end of their journey.
superstorm1Apr 2, 2:50 AM
Apr 2, 3:40 AM
Dec 2010
PEAK.
I literally cried for 5 minutes because I was so emotional after I heard Holo's voice for the first time in 15 years.

I love it. I don't care about the changes in the art or that Passione is tasked with it (srsly, what's the issue?), and for a show like Spice and Wolf it really doesn't matter how well it's animated or something like that as it's mostly based on the dialogue, the writing and just the overall narration.

I already yearn for next week.
Apr 2, 3:41 AM
Dec 2010
Reply to davidyodo24
Holo!! 😍

Kevin Penkin with another Banger OST 🔥🔥🔥

I never got the chance to watch the OG, so this Remake is just perfect for me.
@davidyodo24 The original is still on Crunchyroll if you have access to the US catalogue
Saro2775Apr 2, 3:46 AM
Apr 2, 4:49 AM

Dec 2018
Holy shit, that open with the story, dog you have no idea how long i've been waiting for this shit I am practically crying right now.
Apr 2, 4:59 AM
May 2022
MiaAyende said:
I love that they kept the visual style of the ED from the original

@Mizaru_
Mizaru_ said:
He got scared bc of her true form and when it showed her true form under the moonlight she just looked like always.
Do I not understand sth here, is it not shown or whats going on here?

There's a brief flash of a lot more fur just before he falls back in fear... that's all they show for now. She changed back quickly because he was so scared

Ahhh okay thank you
Apr 2, 5:00 AM
May 2022
NightlyData said:
@Mizaru_ they didn't show the viewer the full form. it happened really fast & when Lawrence got scared Holo immediately changed back to her human form

Ah aight, I was so confused xD
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

91 by CartoonVelocirap »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

112 by Treyv0n »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13

47 by Ashhk »»
Today, 11:44 AM

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

26 by TransferUser »»
Today, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8

141 by AshesOnFire19 »»
Yesterday, 7:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.