Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
Man, after all these years, Spice and Wolf is back in its glory. OP song has a melancholic tone but imo fits for this show.

Lawrence makes his appearance his personality is relatively the same as I remember from the previous season. Holo's introduction this season looked surreal. An obvious surprise for Lawrence but still a very important moment for the main story. I love the soundtrack they used for that moment. I love the tone of her voice too. Character designs looks more colorful and vibrant compared to the previous show but stills works well imo.

A really wonderful return for the franchise on TV imo.
Apr 1, 10:00 AM

May 2020
Feels unreal having Spice and Wolf back as I mean this being always counted as that one unfortunate series which stopped midway and never saw the face of a sequel, and then with time we too quite literally got accustomed to that reputation. Though it might not be the third season, which would’ve been more appreciated, but a complete remake… a complete makeover is welcomed too.

It started the exact same way as it did all those years ago, I think and hope lol, as I mean it was that promise which started the ritual in that village to begin with, and then with Lawarence’s arrival during the harvest festival. People being people, of course they’d stop believing in a god with the passage of time, but one only could do so much when all of a sudden a girl with a tail, naked at that(important bit) jumps from under the stacks of wheat one poor guy was carrying himself with, lol.

The back and forth between Holo and Lawrence is quite possibly the best part of this series, and hey, we are already getting that. Though it’s still the start. As they say, Holo comes every year when it’s that time of the year. She has, and she has scared Lawrence too, lol. Not for too long though.

Will take time with these colours and these character designs, but it’s one fine start… a fine start to one veeeeeery long journey. OP and ED looks the way they used to be in this series.
P.S. Very glad they decided to retain the original VA’s.

Jul 2017
We've waited THIS LONG for a reboot of one of anime's most famous classics: novelist Isuna Hasekura's Spice and Wolf, AFTER 15 YEARS, for the LN's 15th anniversary celebration. A proper adaptation this will be one.

The classic cast and staff are back: Ami Koshimizu as Holo, Jun Fukuyama as Kraft Lawrence, and Takeo Takahashi as chief director of the reboot, so the nostalgia in us knows that the reboot will be in safe hands.

Hana Hope's OP captures the reboot quite nicely. Kevin Penkin's OST, it HITS you hard, and it's going to be great. And ClariS's ED is the perfect sweet spot for this.

The traveling merchant of Kraft Lawrence towing his cart of goods to a pagan village, and they're all out and about celebrating a bountiful harvest while he goes to see Yarei, who's being played as the wolf god Holo, and traditionally being locked for a week out. Since he is an outsider, Lawrence has nothing to do, and decides to rest alone, when he discovers a fox within his fox pelt.

Of course, Lawrence feigns ignorance hearing the god of harvest within the village, though the real self is just a fox and no more: the Wise Wolf of Yoitsu. Lawrence is not convinced of her and wants her to turn into a wolf to see her true colours, all with just sheafs of wheat. Back in the pagan village, Lawrence escaped there for the night, only to see Yarei once again and Count Erhendott, who's always treated him like one of their own with wheat being their only produce that gives them wealth. As expected, Holo hides within the sheaf of wheat as her safety net, and despite Lawrence being scared at Holo for showing her true form (though she abstained thereafter), she is no longer needed as the god of harvest, and wants to head to the North.

With a change of Lawrence's iconic clothes for Holo, the merchant adventures have just begun, and re-starts yet a classic journey into the modern reboot.

Spring has already ONE BIG HIT with this reboot (which this time, will be very faithful to the LN), and there's more to go.
KANLen09Apr 3, 6:28 AM

Dec 2021
More than a decade has passed since Hasekura's classic Spice and Wolf graced our TV screens. Now, 13 years later, instead of the long-awaited Season 3 that fans have anticipated for so long, we're getting a modern reboot of the series. And to lead the charge, it's none other than Passione, the GOATS of ecchi.

Lawrence, a traveling merchant peddling wares from his horse-drawn cart, arrives at the village of Pasloe amidst preparations for the upcoming harvest festival. His purpose: to trade wheat. However, the negotiator he sought, Holo, the deity of bountiful harvests, was confined due to a local tradition. Disheartened, Lawrence departs the village. That night, a mysterious girl with animal ears and a tail sneaks into his cart, introducing herself as Holo, the same name as the village's deity. In disbelief, Lawrence requests proof, prompting the girl to partially transform into her wolf form before vanishing. Troubled by the encounter, Lawrence returns to Pasloe to spend the night. Later, he encounters Holo again, who reveals she escaped Pasloe to return to her homeland of Yoitsu in the distant north. Despite his reservations, Lawrence agrees to let her accompany him on his travels, hoping her presence will bring him good fortune in business.

Damn man, this brings back so many memories. I wasn't a big fan of the original, but I always found the story interesting. I'm glad to see it back in full force. It's crazy to me that we're living in an era where in just this season alone, classics like Spice and Wolf, Mahouka, Kuroshitsuji, and Euphonium are making a comeback. Anyways, this episode stays true to not only the light novel, but it also feels just like the first episode of the OG anime. One thing I like about OG animes is that unlike modern animes, the MCs aren't under 15. So I like that Lawrence is older; it adds depth to the show. Even though Holo is nude for most of the episode, it's not as over-the-top as some other shows by Passione (You know which one I'm talking abou). The music is great, thanks to Kevin Penkin. I'm happy to see classic anime getting remakes. If Fruits Basket is anything to compare this to, we're in good hands.

Passione, you've had a rough track record lately, but you can't mess this one up. At least you nailed this first episode, but you've got a whole two cours ahead of you, so please don't mess anything up.

Apr 1, 10:29 AM

Jul 2020
This is a perfect start to Holo's anime and to the world being united by Holo. Seeing Holo Anime again is nostalgic but also a welcoming of a new era of Holo. When Holo rises up from the cart, HOLO IS SO BEAUTIFUL!

To the enemies of The Holoist State who rated 1 and 2. The Secret Holo Police is on the way
Apr 1, 10:34 AM

Jan 2021
Mannn i really love the scene, and they adapt the og character from the LN too. the melancholic vibes hit me hard.
Apr 1, 10:42 AM

Jul 2020
Apr 1, 11:15 AM
Dec 2018
I can't believe this masterpiece has been rebooted. I wish a nice discovery to the newcomers and a lot of nostalgia to everyone else.

Frieren has just ended 2 weeks ago and here are we again with a low paced yet majestous story. I hope this year's Spice and wolf too will make it to the top 10.

I can't hide my statisfaction for the artworks and musics. I'm also quite happy they reworked the introduction.

Once again I'm ready to give my evenings to Holo and Lawrence knowing that this time too the journey will be unforgettable.
Apr 1, 11:24 AM

Oct 2011
holo !!!!!!

more beautiful than ever
Apr 1, 11:26 AM

Jun 2016
I am crying right now spice and wolf is so fucking back, and Kevin just purely rocks this episode.
baahh.
Apr 1, 11:29 AM

Aug 2017
My most anticipated show of the season is finally here and with 25 episodes! It looks good and the art style change doesn't bother me in the slightest. Look forward to the economics lessons and the banter between Lawrence and Holo!
Apr 1, 11:33 AM

Nov 2012
Lelouch and Kallen are back, what a nostalgic feeling and i can tell the music will be incredible, reminds me of the witcher.
Apr 1, 11:34 AM

May 2010
Loved every minute of it, waited 15 years for this moment.

and omg, they had Myuri in the beginning. The art style is adorable and the sound track by Kevin Penkin is kino. Looking forward to next week
Infinite growth is the ideology of a cancer cell
Apr 1, 11:41 AM

Oct 2017
That start scene with Holo telling story to her daughter and Ami Koshimizu's voice, so good. I was skeptic of this but this was certainly a good first episode and I don't seem to mind Holo's new design like I thought I would and will get used to it. The iconic Holo meeting Laurence scene was so good. I absolutely love the fact that Ami Koshimizu was recasted as her, perfection. Passione sure animated naked Holo with great effort, her body movements and stuff. Really liked the OP, ED was fine too. Good start, quite excited for upcoming episodes now.
Apr 1, 11:47 AM

Jul 2017
It's so cool to see Spice and Wolf back in modern day form and having a genuine adaptation planned for the long run, this whole episode was so nostalgic as a whole. The animation and general visuals at times did look a bit stiff in places but not too bad overall. I did watch Spice and Wolf in dub and fell in love with that, so it will take me some time to get used to some voices like Holo's but the chemistry displayed between her and Kraft was great here too, which has always been one of the major selling points about this series. I loved the first few minutes in particular and not only how that looked, but the teases with characters too was really nice as a whole, and is fitting for the kind of series this is (which is a long, long adventure story).

Character designs will take some time to be used to compared to the anime but I feel like I can adapt to these a lot faster than I did with Yuru Camp's new anime designs when I first saw it. I did like the designs from the light novels so seeing Holo in that form was something fine for me and to be fair, she looked better than I expected. Kevin Penkin doing the music for the series is such a big win, his music and style is made for a series like this and boy did it translate very well in this episode. Especially love the scenes of Holo showing up and her first conversation with Lawrence, and how the music complemented that scene so well. The shots of her at night with that music in the background has some aura to it and Passione did do that scene well.

Overall, this was a solid return to a beloved franchise, and it will be nice seeing this kind of series and its magic in the modern era. To be fair, I'm not the craziest fan of most reboots but this is the kind of series that would translate well to one, especially knowing that this season is going for 25 episodes and will definitely get more seasons later on to complete the adaptation. I'm still not 100% sold on Passione since some parts did visually look a bit iffy and stiff but for the most part (horses, some dance animation, color palette looking a bit iffy for my liking at times). But for a first episode, it was an alright showing from them and some scenes did turn out better than expected like the first two minutes and Holo's introduction too when awaking and meeting Lawrence. Hopefully they can improve as the series goes on but for now, I am just happy to have this series back and running, and excited just to see more of Holo again. She was always a beloved character among many, many anime fans (for good reason) and can't wait to see how the people new to this franchise feel about her character through this adaptation.

Really hope this gets a dub, the Japanese voices seem nice and I will eventually get used to them but I do miss that original dub a lot.
animejasApr 1, 11:54 AM
Apr 1, 11:47 AM
Sep 2015
I haven't watch the 2008-2009 adaptation so this should be an interesting journey for me.
Apr 1, 11:48 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Now this is what I call a nostalgia trip, how long it's been
Apr 1, 11:50 AM

Dec 2010
And here comes yet another reboot. Not sure what to think of this yet. I don't really like the new designs and color palette. Holo also seems to have been given an upgrade in the bust department. She's supposed to be flatter. No good shot of her ass this time, probably thanks to overseas streaming. For some reason Koshimizu Ami is using a much higher, cuter voice for Holo. I don't think that fits the character. Definitely prefer her old performance.
Apr 1, 11:55 AM

Feb 2017
Yess give us more Myuri, i named one of my cats after her she's adorable
Apr 1, 11:55 AM

Jan 2014
This is a solid start for the S&W remake, the art is gorgeous and the VA-ing on point. The question is, can they keep it up? I hope they do cause I'm having a great time with it.
Apr 1, 11:56 AM
Jan 2023
A great start, I really wasn't expecting the introduction, it brings back memories of the first time I saw it, the animation is pure beauty!!
Apr 1, 11:57 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
we are so fucking back
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 1, 12:00 PM
Feb 2023
An excellent start for this remake, can't think of anything about it to dislike, I loved it. The only problem is having to wait a week for episode 2 .........
Apr 1, 12:01 PM
Mar 2021
just that opening scene had my heart bursting. God, I love this.
Apr 1, 12:03 PM

Sep 2013
I'm curious if they're going to adapt Volume 4. It would be funny if they skipped it again. 🤣

Apr 1, 12:04 PM
Feb 2020
Man Holo is back really excited to discover this remake without knowing the original it’s a amazing first episode
Apr 1, 12:05 PM
Jan 2019
Audio-visually very good. Would have loved for Holo to be more fanservice-y and for the show to have portrayed Lawrance's lonelyness at the st art.
Apr 1, 12:05 PM

Mar 2020
Nostalgia for the fans of the original, a possible gem for newcomers...

I'm sure a lot of people were looking forward to this series, old watchers and new watchers alike, and as someone who has not watched the original Spice and Wolf, I can tell already why this was such a beloved series back in the day. The slow pace and adventuring atmosphere drew me in pretty quickly, as well as Holo and her voice acting of course. Kevin Penkin doing the music for this really elevated the experience as well. With twenty-five episodes planned for this series for now, I just hope Studio Passione can bring this series back to life once again.
Apr 1, 12:06 PM

Apr 2013
The best work ever made is back, I'm very happy to see my waifu Holo again
Let's make the anime go to the top of the MAL list
Apr 1, 12:09 PM
Aug 2016
So one of the most anticipated shows of Spring 2024 is here, and it did not disappoint! Honestly this version of SaW is my entry point to the series, and I am hooked after just the first episode. I shall be watching this with utmost eagerness, after hearing nothing but years of praise.
Apr 1, 12:12 PM
Sep 2023
Watching this anime for first time looks interesting
animation is also good
And hola the character is quite amusing and interesting hope this will be good

Waiting for another episode ❤️❤️
Apr 1, 12:14 PM

Feb 2022
Only 2 minutes in and listening to the op atm, wow they included Myuuri at the start.

Did they include a background character in the "Holo last wheat chase" scene who looked like Chloe, from the original series

Just finished - love the first episode, our sassy, hard drinking and gluttonous wolf is back.
Knighthammer619Apr 1, 12:42 PM
Apr 1, 12:15 PM

Apr 2021
Looks great. Has more ecchi then before. Which is unsurprising considering the studio. Also I just found out that Chloe was never on the light novel. I only read ln after the season 2. I'm surprised that they included myuuri

I really wished that they would've kept the old ed. But i guess this one isn't bad either.
mshfqtnyApr 1, 12:29 PM
Apr 1, 12:16 PM

Feb 2019
I completely forgot Chloe was an anime original character so I had wondered why she had been replaced by a guy. Despite owning all the mangas, I still not read them all so I wonder how different the 2008's Chloe role will be here.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Apr 1, 12:18 PM

Dec 2010
Superepus said:
Ami Koshimizu is 15 years older now.

Pretty sure she can still do her old voice, I've seen her do so on other shows. And it's generally more difficult to do high pitched voices when growing older, not the opposite. It seems to be a deliberate choice, a bad one in my opinion.
Apr 1, 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to Wieczorny
I'm curious if they're going to adapt Volume 4. It would be funny if they skipped it again. 🤣

@Wieczorny I read up to volume 8 and of them, volume 4 is my favorite. I really hope they don't skip it.
Apr 1, 12:21 PM
Nov 2010
Some Holo naked scenes nerf,
And no more Chloe
Apr 1, 12:23 PM
Senpai

May 2021
Yeah good first episode, i hope this studio can keep it up with the animation. I'm not gonna lie i don't trust passione that much haha :D
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 1, 12:29 PM
May 2017
NICE first episode for a remake !! LOVED IT
Apr 1, 12:30 PM
Nov 2023
Loved the first episode, increadible first impressions!
I already know this will be one of my favorites, of the season at least (Note: I have not watched the original).
I love Holo, she is a fun character to watch and the voice actress fits the role perfectly.
Can't wait for next week!!!
Apr 1, 12:31 PM

May 2015
Wow seeing
in the first minute is really giving me hope that this will get a full adaptation. So good to see Holo back
Apr 1, 12:31 PM

Sep 2009
The opening scene with
was a surprise. The adaptation looks beautiful so far and we got
. Let's see how man y vvolumes they will adapt this time.
Apr 1, 12:32 PM

May 2015
Reply to deaknaew
Some Holo naked scenes nerf,
And no more Chloe
@deaknaew well Cloe was an anime only, so no reason to include her in a LN adaptation
Apr 1, 12:33 PM
Jan 2021
Pretty good first episode. The Art and Animation looks beautiful and clean. Music by Kevin Penkin is stellar and the direction was also good. I hope this Remake will at least be on the same level as the original. Very good start and it seems like they might not rush through the novels
Apr 1, 12:35 PM
Aug 2022
Definitely got good vibes from the first episode, it’s been a few months but spice and wolfs original series is still fresh in my mind and I enjoyed it a lot.

While the old art style had its charm as most older anime do I’m a huge fan of the new artstyle. I think it’s studio passione doing this.

I love the detail in Holo’s eyes they’ve put in her red eyes are so pretty.
Apr 1, 12:39 PM

Mar 2023
Loved the first episode, movement is a little too low framerate and cgi blend is average at best, but the episode was at least well directed in its editing, lighting, blocking, dialogue usage and ost usage. If they can keep this level of adaptation it will be great
watsymApr 1, 1:18 PM
Apr 1, 12:40 PM

Jan 2023
First thought: I'm so, so, genuinely happy that this remake opens with a conversation between Myuri and Holo. I had a big smile on my face already!
Second thought: The opening and ending are absolutely gorgeous, I already like them a lot more than the ones from the first series.
And the show itself looks absolutely gorgeous. Amazing work in particular with the lights (of the moon, holo's shadow...).
The voice acting is also great, as expected I would say.
And the plot... well, let's just say that for me this story is one of the best I've ever seen/read, so this remake is a treat for me for sure.
It's going to be one of my most anticipated series each week, I can already tell.

I'll read with a lot of interest what people who are new to the story have to say, but I have no doubt the goddess Holo will conquer new generations of fans haha :)
MeguSae38Apr 2, 1:03 AM
Apr 1, 12:48 PM

Apr 2014
Now that's what I needed, the return of Wise Wolf, Holo. The first episode was great and I can't wait for more!
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Aug 2009
When you think anime keeps getting better, studio Passione hits us with AI generated animations...
Why did they event take these series on if they didn't plan to animate it properly, thats pitifull mess. The original didnt even age enough to justify a remake, whats the point of iterating good work with this half-assed creation.
Apr 1, 12:52 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Okay, it's actually not bad at all but to me it looks like they just adapted it again with the charm of the original, I don't see what is improved compared to the previous version, even though I'm still happy to see it again in a different modern way
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

114 by Pustul »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

51 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

93 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
3 hours ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

29 by access_flash »»
4 hours ago

» Did any of you know J.Michael Tatum has narrated The audio book for the spice and wolf light novel?

APolygons2 - Today

7 by APolygons2 »»
5 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.