Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 1, 9:25 AM

Nov 2013
I know I'm going to set a few people off with this one, but here goes nothing. Solo Leveling feels like such an empty anime. I mean I don't even remember the main character's name. I guess it is supposed to be mature because he gets roughed up by monsters every few episodes, but does he even have a character arc? He just goes from "I want to be the strongest but I'm lame" to "I want to be the strongest and I have a cheat code". Also, the whole concept that no one else can level up their abilities goes against the fabric of reality. In a world where monsters exist, training doesn't make you stronger? What? Since when? And my biggest gripe with all these Real Life Becomes A Dungeon Crawler type shows is that the main character never questions THE SYSTEM. I mean, my first thought when a screen pops out of thin air in front of me is going to be, "Did I just get sucked into the Matrix? Is reality even real? What is the source of this?" But characters like MC-sama here just accept it wholesale instantaneously. Does anyone even question what a dungeon is or how they are appearing behind warp gates? Phenomenal animation, don't get me wrong, but is there any meat in the shell?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 1, 9:29 AM
Nov 2021
Hypnic_Nemesis said:
I know I'm going to set a few people off with this one, but here goes nothing. Solo Leveling feels like such an empty anime. I mean I don't even remember the main character's name. I guess it is supposed to be mature because he gets roughed up by monsters every few episodes, but does he even have a character arc? He just goes from "I want to be the strongest but I'm lame" to "I want to be the strongest and I have a cheat code". Also, the whole concept that no one else can level up their abilities goes against the fabric of reality. In a world where monsters exist, training doesn't make you stronger? What? Since when? And my biggest gripe with all these Real Life Becomes A Dungeon Crawler type shows is that the main character never questions THE SYSTEM. I mean, my first thought when a screen pops out of thin air in front of me is going to be, "Did I just get sucked into the Matrix? Is reality even real? What is the source of this?" But characters like MC-sama here just accept it wholesale instantaneously. Does anyone even question what a dungeon is or how they are appearing behind warp gates? Phenomenal animation, don't get me wrong, but is there any meat in the shell?

In all honesty. It’s great but not even anime of the season
Apr 1, 9:33 AM

Sep 2016
Don't worry, it will never become AotY on any major website.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 1, 9:33 AM
Aug 2023
It’s mostly Isekai lovers but I have the worst feeling this anime will probably fall off next season. There is no real plot and it kinda reminds me of Goblin Slayer, all you gotta do is hope ig
Apr 1, 9:45 AM
Aug 2021
LilChowMain said:
It’s mostly Isekai lovers but I have the worst feeling this anime will probably fall off next season. There is no real plot and it kinda reminds me of Goblin Slayer, all you gotta do is hope ig

Next season will be better but it definitely will start falling off after around the halfway point
Apr 1, 9:45 AM
Nov 2023
I have no prior knowledge before the season started but I think it’s a decent show to turn off your brain for. Nothing too deep but lots happening. Too much plot would ruin it.
Apr 1, 9:48 AM
May 2021
Let them belive whatever they what want. Everyone has different taste.
Apr 1, 10:22 AM
Jun 2021
Cause it’s good
Apr 1, 10:29 AM
Sep 2023
It has a similar feel to Demon Slayer in a way, mainly because both of them are animes where you don't have to think about the plot and where you can just watch nicely animated fighting every episode. That's all it is as of now and it's well done. Probably doesn't deserve anime of the year however.
Apr 1, 10:39 AM
Nov 2021
Because its peak.
Apr 1, 10:43 AM

Jun 2007
The issue is that the Manwha was always mainly popular because of the stunning art, an art that they won't be able to transfer to the Anime unless they go full Redline for multiple seasons which they can't do.

Outside of that it's very extreme power fantasy with a miniscule plot.

Which. no offence, is true for apparently most Manwhas.
Apr 1, 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
Other people have different opinions? That seems like reason enough.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 1, 10:49 AM
Jul 2022
It's anime of the year material because the manhwa has 200 million views on piccoma. The game gained 5 million downloads in a week. Of course there should be a reason for that. Also if you go to google trend and compare with frieren. Let me tell you who wins here. The graph goes up for solo leveling and shows that its internationally famous and frieren is not famous except japan lol. And Of course Famous shows will always win Awards. This is why demon slayer always wins awards even though there are a lot of other good animez
Apr 1, 11:03 AM
Jul 2023
its pretty good but its definitely not worth anime of the year material
Apr 1, 11:13 AM

Oct 2020
It's good, definitely not AotY
Apr 1, 11:18 AM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:

Asking why somebody feels that way is inviting them to explain their personal opinion in order to understand their perspective. Asking questions like these incurs human connection and understanding and we need more of it in a civil manner.
Apr 1, 11:23 AM
Nov 2020
Hypnic_Nemesis said:

I just assumed that the system would be explained later. It seems pretty obvious that he’s in a game and being controlled by an unknown entity. I didn’t see it as a huge issue because he was basically dead when he was given the choice to play on. Although I found it weird that they can’t level up unless they reawaken.
Apr 1, 11:28 AM

Mar 2013
don't worry, this can't be better than fmab in terms of character development. 🥲
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 1, 11:46 AM
Jul 2020
Hypnic_Nemesis said:

I agree with most of this, but the idea behind no one being able to get stronger is that obviously you can get physically stronger by training just like real life, but you can’t improve your magic abilities and that’s what matters for fighting monsters
Apr 1, 12:22 PM
Jan 2022
The fact that its currently sitting with a 8,37 rating in the top 200 scares me.The only good thing is that the system you mentoined is a bit uniqe.
People tend to either have no taste or if sg is popular they like it just too be stylish.You described it best with the word empty even considering it good would be kind.
Apr 1, 12:27 PM
Aug 2019
it's a fun well made show nothing more then that and definitely not shine of the year
Apr 1, 12:27 PM
Feb 2018
Small brains and lack of imagination.
Apr 1, 12:28 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to TheMenaceOfEldia
LostSpectre said:

Asking why somebody feels that way is inviting them to explain their personal opinion in order to understand their perspective. Asking questions like these incurs human connection and understanding and we need more of it in a civil manner.
@TheMenaceOfEldia Nah. Fuck that. The topic title is needlessly confrontational.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 1, 12:28 PM
Aug 2023
The show is being adapted in small parts and as it is it definitely isn't aoty material, The reason why people hype it so much is because the manhwa as a whole is definitely top tier and could be aoty contender if fully or halfway adapted but it wouldn't be possible

There isn't much happening but I could see solo leveling sneak into the nomination or contender of aoty considering its popularity
Apr 1, 12:32 PM
Aug 2020
LostSpectre said:
@TheMenaceOfEldia Nah. Fuck that. The topic title is needlessly confrontational.

If that is confrontational to you, you are soft.
Apr 1, 12:35 PM
Jan 2021
drinfantom said:
Cause it’s good

Time to raise your standards then
Apr 1, 12:38 PM
Jan 2021
Drewfy7 said:
Because its peak.

Respect peak wtf?
Apr 1, 12:42 PM
May 2023
I also had the exact same opinion as you.
I still do for season one. but I read the manga as a friend said I should and it does get pretty good after season one, albeit the cliché "get stronger and be OP" act . however I have high hopes for season two but this show will in no shape or form be able to be better than some of the other shows out there like Frieren.
Apr 1, 12:46 PM

Jan 2017
Somaszanto7905 said:
The fact that its currently sitting with a 8,37 rating in the top 200 scares me

Just wait 'till you see where the Manhwa is in the Top Manga/Manhwa...
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 1, 1:11 PM

Nov 2020
People think it's anime of the year material because they liked it and that's it. For me it's trash and one of the worst anime I've watched lately, but everyone has different taste.
smoke dat weed get high as shit
Apr 1, 1:27 PM
Sep 2023
Because it’s popular and has a sort of “sigma” feel to it that a younger audience would prefer. I wouldn’t call it a garbage show, that would be a title id give to others such as (redo of…)

All in all, it’s a decent show with nicely done fighting scenes and simple yet engaging dialogue.

What a lot of people don’t understand is that anime or the year is not really about the best anime. It’s whatever pulls in the most votes.
Apr 1, 1:45 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to amaricvv
Because it’s popular and has a sort of “sigma” feel to it that a younger audience would prefer. I wouldn’t call it a garbage show, that would be a title id give to others such as (redo of…)

All in all, it’s a decent show with nicely done fighting scenes and simple yet engaging dialogue.

What a lot of people don’t understand is that anime or the year is not really about the best anime. It’s whatever pulls in the most votes.
@amaricvv decent show but I give it 10/10. bro what you smoking, just say you love it
Apr 1, 1:55 PM
Mar 2023
it’s a 6/10 anime with 10/10 animation, not even anime of the season
Apr 1, 1:57 PM
Nov 2021
DiomarBrasindo said:
Drewfy7 said:
Because its peak.

Respect peak wtf?

Hey, I have my opinion on what a “peak” anime should be and you have yours.
Apr 1, 2:06 PM
Jan 2021
Hypnic_Nemesis said:

He did question the system multiple times throughout the anime, either you didn’t pick up on it or felt like it fell short. Most of your problems get talked about later in the manwha so seasons 2-4
Apr 1, 2:28 PM
Sep 2023
leyaf said:
@amaricvv decent show but I give it 10/10. bro what you smoking, just say you love it

I rank shows differently than you. What’s the big deal? Who cares if I rank decent shows a 10-10?

Why don’t you just stop hating and baiting others in the comments to reply to you?
Apr 1, 2:40 PM
Jun 2023
for me if the show gives the max enjoyment then 10/10 for me, even if it doesn't have brainstorming story or hella dept character, or best world building, first I need is enjoyment, if that doesn't happen then i will rate it atleast 6 or 7 , if that has a good story or something else,
SL gives me that enjoyment part ,so i love watching it , i watch anime for time pass not to write essay so i love so.
Apr 1, 2:53 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to amaricvv
leyaf said:

I rank shows differently than you. What’s the big deal? Who cares if I rank decent shows a 10-10?

Why don’t you just stop hating and baiting others in the comments to reply to you?
@amaricvv you're deluding yourself and I don't hate you.
Apr 1, 3:00 PM
May 2022
it's crazy best episode was first and last. n end wasn't even a good end of season finish. this was like Sao season 2 for me cos the manga was so good. the change in his appearance was done very badly
Apr 1, 3:26 PM
Sep 2020
Hypnic_Nemesis said:

solo leveling is a good anime it has beautiful animation and personally I find it interesting. but I don't know where you have seen people saying this is anime of the year because it obviously isn't, Frieren came out this year and that is definitely anime of the year.
Apr 1, 3:40 PM

Aug 2014
Idk why it would even be anime of the season. From what I noticed, the fights are what most people like about it but after watching all 12 episodes it just seems meh. Animation is great, sure but that is kinda about it.

Fights all have the exact same pattern with MC going into the boss room, encountering the boss, thinks that it seems pretty strong but he should be stronger because he leveled up, mc gets ragdolled like a punching bag, before getting almost killed he miraculously heals and then kills the boss in one or few hits, rinse and repeat.

We then have the overhyped to the shit "Arise" scene. That was abaolutely underwhelming and disappointing. Why and what was it hyped for? It's like going to your sleeping sibling and telling them to wake up. There was no oomph, no impact, no epic saying of the line with cool OST or whatever, just saying one word normally and that's it.

Idc honestly if people gonna shit on me for saying this but I just can't seem to find any reasons why Solo Leveling should be above acore of 5. Plot is whatever, side characters are just for MCs convenience, character development is also barely there. Fights could have been better and way more interesting if they actually weren't the exact same thing every time.
Apr 1, 4:29 PM

Aug 2020
Never heard about the saying "shounentard"?
Keep scrolling
Apr 1, 5:04 PM
Oct 2023
I only see people pissed off about other people thinking that it’s the greatest anime. At the same time I haven’t met anyone who thinks that it’s the best anime.
Apr 1, 5:28 PM
Mar 2023
its probably the same people that voted for jjk
Apr 1, 5:34 PM
Jan 2023
It’s one of the most successful webtoons ever created. It’s has a massive fanbase already. Also, it’s a pretty good representation of the source material. I respect your opinion, but everyone has their own opinion and perspective. You can like different anime for many different reasons.
Apr 1, 5:37 PM
May 2022
I haven't seen anyone say anything like that about this show
Apr 1, 7:17 PM
Jun 2021
FutoiOtaku said:
I have no prior knowledge before the season started but I think it’s a decent show to turn off your brain for. Nothing too deep but lots happening. Too much plot would ruin it.

Totally accurate
Apr 1, 7:45 PM

Dec 2020
I think this show is really bad. Unmistakably bad. Still watched it but wondered the whole time why I was. 6/10 nothing more nothing less nothing
Apr 1, 9:57 PM
Jan 2023
is it really important to hate on anything that gets popular these days🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Apr 1, 10:11 PM
Aug 2022
Hypnic_Nemesis said:

Ok so
There's no reasons to question gates or where there came from because it has already been questioned and explored prior to when we meet our mc so people are already used to it. Humanity has no way of knowing what these gates are or how there came, they just exploit it. Furthermore, later on there's a lot of lore and exposition dropped about the world of Solo leveling so you'll get your answer about gates and stuff and how they came into the world soon enough.
The world is specifically tailored to Sung Jin Woo. There's nothing stupid about no one being able to grow stronger cuz that's how the power system works. Its literally in the title. And training does make u stronger. Not in the sense that your abilities increase in skill, but training your knowledge in stuff like martial arts if your an assassin type helps. Experience also helps. Cuz an experienced B ranker is more valuable than an non experienced A ranker. Stuff like this isn't show in most other stuff so Solo Leveling is putting emphasis on these things.

I understand why you don't think its AOTY. There's always gonna be something you ain't gonna like. But there's a lot of reasons why other people like it. It's fun to watch, easy to understand and root for Sung jin Woo and the animation, production and voice acting are all spectacular. Also it's peak.
GRG3Apr 2, 6:18 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Season 2 will focused more on side charcter and explore the world 360

Hickykissy - May 10

29 by SuperLupinHero »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

398 by KcmcPro »»
Jun 10, 4:03 PM

» Are People Just Hate-Watching Now? ( 1 2 3 )

HyroSan - Feb 12

103 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 10, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Jan 6

729 by satyrelfheim »»
Jun 10, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13

514 by Deono »»
Jun 9, 9:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.