Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 20, 2:43 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to RodrigoAlPeres
@Phantom_373 Look, interesting, but it seems that sign language in English is different from Japanese (maybe it has some similar signs). I researched this anime and found a video of a guy signing in both languages using another anime that has a hearing-impaired character: Koe no Katachi
@RodrigoAlPeres I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, sign language in each language has its own differences. For example, Russian-Ukrainian sign language is different from English.
Jan 20, 2:54 PM

Nov 2013
Yuki is too precious!
Jan 20, 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
Reply to RodrigoAlPeres
@Phantom_373 Look, interesting, but it seems that sign language in English is different from Japanese (maybe it has some similar signs). I researched this anime and found a video of a guy signing in both languages using another anime that has a hearing-impaired character: Koe no Katachi
@RodrigoAlPeres yup, every sign language is different

there is not even an universal one for the english language, as crazy as that sounds (i think canada uses two and one of them is the ASL/american, but the british sign language is compleely different. And as bous he american sign language is closer to the french sign language than the one in the UK!)

some signs languages can have similarities with others but each country have their own version basically

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 20, 3:17 PM
Jul 2019
RobertBobert said:
@RodrigoAlPeres I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, sign language in each language has its own differences. For example, Russian-Ukrainian sign language is different from English.

Yes, there are differences in sign languages ​​in other countries, for example the sign for “friend” in LIBRAS (Brazilian sign language) is the right hand open with the palm up on the chest, while ASL is the two index fingers making an X, in JSL it's putting your palms together (which in Libras the sign is similar to married)
Jan 20, 3:49 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to Mainnus
Oushi is certainly protective of Yuki, even in his own harsh way of expressing it.
@Mainnus Si, thinking the same way. I really like him.
What came to m mind is that he might have been thinking that Oushi just started realizing how valuable (in emotional sense) is Yuki to him just when he started loosing her. Being a childhood friend and knowing a sign language does not mean he got her exclusively.
But I rreally appreciate that he's treating her like a human being, not handicapped person.

On the other hand, no matter how handsome Itsuomi would be, he is a jerk breaking barriers and coming into someone's personal space. This actually I dont appreciate. :p But he's best when he banters with Yuki. xD

Jan 20, 3:57 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
If there was ever an episode that felt like 5 minutes, this one was it lol, I was especially sucked in during the laundry mat scene, I was just really into the conversation the two of them were having as well as learning a bit more about Itsuomi, and of course you had the snowy night vibe which is perfect for the time I’m watching this, just complete immersion lol. And this scene also showed why Itsuomi may have first gotten interested in Yuki, being that her sign language opened up a whole new aspect of his interest in cultures and languages, I’m sure it’s becoming more than that slowly but surely tho.

We also met two new characters, Shin and Emma, tho we didn’t get a full grasp on them since they were drunk lol, Shin seems cool as of rn but Emma has stuff going on with Itsuomi which was made especially clear in that final scene, I can see some drama stirring from this, as well as that scene with Oushi who’s not happy about Yuki visiting Itsuomi at night lol, I hope it’s tasty drama at least. And lastly I was really interesting in the scene where Yuki described what she could hear with and without the hearing aids, idk how accurate that description is but I’m glad to have a better grasp on her deafness, I was wondering why she had hearing aids as well.
Jan 20, 4:08 PM

Sep 2018
It's just too cheesy for me, this sort of shoujo trope overload, definitely not the target audience. Docked down a point in score.

loled when he said "Du bist süß", they cannot be serious with some of these scenes.
GakutoDeathGlareJan 20, 4:15 PM
Jan 20, 4:20 PM

Nov 2023
We got to see that Yuki is officially in love with Itsuomi, with her wanting to be closer to him.

We also see that there's going to be a race between Yuki and Emma as we see at the end what Emma's intentions are.

I'm excited for the next episode, I really want to see what happens next.
Jan 20, 5:07 PM
May 2017
Reply to gawed
weird that they didn't translate what Itsuomi says over the head of Yuki in another language.

because it's kinda relevant: in the manga at least he speaks in German:" You're cute".
@gawed Itsuomi literally said "You're cute" in German ("Du bist süß") to Yuki. Google Translate is our friend.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 20, 5:11 PM

Sep 2023
Didn't know they have a curfew in Japan.

Embient said:
Please tell me I'm not the only one who tried doing all the hand signs

I'm too lazy for that ngl, and yeah, probably you're the only one did that.
Jan 20, 5:13 PM
Aug 2021
leonardobarba said:
@gawed Itsuomi literally said "You're cute" in German ("Du bist süß") to Yuki. Google Translate is our friend.

maybe you need to learn how to read thread comments. yes I know what he said in German,.I said that in my first comment. the point is it was not translated in the subtitles of some languages so a lot of people don't know what was said. people are not going to be using Google tra late with audio in one line of an anime
Jan 20, 7:32 PM
May 2017
Reply to gawed
leonardobarba said:

maybe you need to learn how to read thread comments. yes I know what he said in German,.I said that in my first comment. the point is it was not translated in the subtitles of some languages so a lot of people don't know what was said. people are not going to be using Google tra late with audio in one line of an anime
@gawed What makes you stumble and fall is not the mountain but the little stone. I am curious, so I did it; I heard that phrase in German; looked for the subtitle then looked for its translation. Sorry!
Jan 20, 7:48 PM
Mar 2015
Our gril is fixated on him Emma is annoying
Jan 20, 7:51 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to leonardobarba
@leonardobarba If we were really really anal about it, he LITERALLY said (or tried to say, but kinda butchered the pronunciation) "You are sweet". But yea, meaningwise "cute" fits better.

... and that was completely off topic. Sry.
Jan 20, 7:59 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Emma obviously has feelings for Itsoumi and I feel like she’s going to find out he’s interested in Yuki and it’s going to cause tension. I’m excited for next week’s episode!
Jan 20, 8:16 PM

Dec 2022
Itsuomi and Yuki's relationship feels so natural that I’m in a state of shock. Usually getting to this point would take half the season. I can’t get enough of those 2.
Jan 20, 8:32 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Nao Taoyama become third wheel character again and idk why its kinda tickling me hard. Let's hope its not turns out so toxic and let it as healthy as possible for this own good. Yuuki needs to stay pure with her love. As long as she still determine teaching travelling dude all the sign language. That's why i don't mind thicc lips dude slow burn it and let them flow. Don't force it hard, take that easy....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 20, 8:56 PM

Jul 2022
Yuki has realized that she is in love with Itsuomi. Now, she will try to teach sign language to Itsuomi.

We met Shin, a stylist and friend of Itsuomi, and Emma, also a friend of Itsuomi who seems very attached to him. This, apparently, brings insecurity to Yuki. In addition, Oushi seems to be overprotective of Yuki, although in my opinion, it's more like jealousy.

But the best part of it all is that Yuki and Itsuomi promised to get to know each other better.
Jan 20, 9:06 PM
Jul 2022
this series is giving me goosebumps.
I'm sorry Emma but I want my ship to sail
Jan 20, 9:12 PM

Dec 2015
Oushi is obviously into her but shows it in the most wrong way ever... getting too possessive over an adult can lead to the exact opposite result of what his intention is.
I love Yuki she is the sweetest and she is diract with her intentions and actions which I love and Itsuomi is a nice guy and he is a complete green flag with boundaries and everything I only dislike one thing... he talks whenever she is not looking at him and whenever he says a cute thing about her he doesn't make it clear enough for her sometimes maybe he wanna take it slow and everything but at the same time if she was a hearing person it's up to her if she wanna believe it or overthink it or totally miss it.. I feel bad for her
but I hope they get better at understanding each other and I hope this doesn't become a love triangle because I hate those kind of shojos
Jan 20, 9:22 PM
Nov 2019
Its so cute it gives me warm feelings
Jan 20, 10:14 PM

Dec 2022
Yuki trying to catch his attention in the bar is so cute
Things boutta get complicated ig.
Jan 20, 10:38 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
This show is so cute man

The love antagonists on both sides are annoying lol

Props to Itsuomi for not sleeping with the cute girl at his house!!
Jan 20, 11:15 PM

Jun 2021
The episodes just keep getting better and better every week. Gonna use that tissue throw technique to stop someone next time Lmao
Jan 21, 12:07 AM
Jan 2024
This episode was so cute! I mean, all of them have been so far, but I feel like we're getting somewhere since It went from the head pat to putting his chin on Yuki's head. so cute!

Her childhood friend clearly has some kind of feelings for her and is protective over her, but I would say, to the point that he's kinda toxic. I mean, in episode 2, he was thinking about how he wishes she'd have just stayed at that deaf school and stuff. He clearly isn't considering her feelings and what she thinks makes her happy. I don't like that. Regardless though, he still seems like an interesting character who probably has some good depth to him. Perhaps something happened to make him feel the way he does. It doesn't excuse him not considering her feelings, but it would help the viewer understand where he's coming from. I want to know more about their friendship.

From the jump, I just don't like Emma. Girl was pushy and clingy and tried to force a situation where she knew that Itsu, because he's a nice guy, would invite her into his home since it was snowing. She clearly wanted to do you know what and thankfully he made it very clear that he had no interest in that. I wish he would've straight told her something like "I don't see you that way and I don't want to" or "I have feelings for someone else. Please give up on having a romantic relationship with me. I value our friendship, but I don't want anything more than that with you". I mean, he definitely seems to have it in him to say it, but who knows. Maybe he was just so put off by the situation that he didn't think of it, or he wasn't sure how to say it so he just left her alone. Either way, kudos to him for not messing around or playing games. And if Emma's smart, she's gotta know he's not interested. I am curious though, what will happen now that she's seen the sign language study guide (Yuki is so sweet and thoughtful to have made that for Itsu. I wish he would have appreciated her efforts a bit more, even if it's not his learning style).

When Yuki got jealous over Emma, it was so cute. And when the owner said that Itsu and Emma were friends but that there was no chance of them getting together, it kinda seemed like maybe they'd talked about it and that's how he was so certain. And when he said that they'd have to hear the reason why from Istu, himself, I feel like the way he said it hinted at him possibly knowing that Itsu already has feelings for someone. And if I'm honest, I'd say that he's pretty open with his feelings towards Yuko, since he's always calling her cute and stuff. He seems to interact with the other female characters differently and he hasn't called any of them cute. And when he called her cute in German (I had to look it up to find out what he said since for some reason, they didn't translate it into English in the subs), I felt like it was more endearing, and him saying it over her head like that, it felt like it was him being more private and enjoying confessing his feelings to her, knowing that she couldn't hear him. Yuki seems to be a complete novice when it comes to love, so it makes sense that she doesn't have the experience to be able to interpret how Itsu is with her. The fact that he also seems to have some of the behaviors of westerners also adds to the difficulty level of interpretation, since Japanese culture is more reserved and PDA and physical touch in general seem to have a deeper meaning than in western countries, and usually don't occur the way that Itsu has been interacting with Yuki, unless the people are closer friends at the very last. These guys are still just going from acquaintance level to friends level.

Also, her best friend is kinda... boring so far. She seems like just a filler character so that Yuki has a friend. I don't know. I hope we get to see her be more human and have some depth soon. And, I don't know, maybe this is just me, but if I had a deaf friend, I'd try to learn sign language so that communication would be better for both of us. I've wondered since episode 1, why she hasn't tried to learn any sign language at all.

Looking forward to episode 4. I can't wait to find out what happens next! I kinda wish I'd have not stumbled upon this anime yet, and discovered it a few weeks from now. I'm a binge watcher and it sucks having to wait for each episode to be released. I can watch a couple of 12 episode animes in a day. Been running out of stuff I'm in the mood for recently. This one hits the spot. I'm also looking forward to that one that's coming out where the girl speaks in Russian and thinks the guy doesn't know what she's saying, but he actually does cuz for some crazy reason, he knows Russian. Not sure when it's coming out yet though. Anywho, that's all for my review of Episode 3. Have a great day/night everyone!
Jan 21, 12:09 AM

Mar 2007
So they showed 2 different the hand signs for Kawaii so I can learn some Japanese Sign Language. What is the difference between the two? Does anyone know?

This show is so sweet I'm going to end up diabetic on Saturdays.
Stormy_77Jan 21, 12:19 AM
Jan 21, 1:03 AM

Apr 2015
Definitely my favorite episode so far. I initially thought I wouldn't care for the main couple at all - partly cause I usually dislike it when a character falls for the other after just meeting him/her a few times - and while I can't say I care about the ship yet, both of the characters are very likeable. Yuki, especially, has subverted my expectations quite a bit already. I thought she would be the very shy and easily flustered type of female MC, but she's actually a go-getter and quite forward with her feelings for Itsuomi. Very admirable.
I feel really bad for Oushi and while I understand his concerns for Yuki and I can't help but still root for him a bit because of my huge love for the childhood friends to lovers trope, his approach towards showing his concerns/care for Yuki is obviously not positive.
And I really hope Emma won't be the typical, toxic female love rival...

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 21, 1:26 AM

Nov 2012
I can already feel Emma causing trouble.
Jan 21, 2:53 AM

Feb 2014
I'm the sort of person that prefers a visual guide when it comes to learning something new, but I'm very impressed with hoe well detailed Yuki's sign language guide book that she drew all by herself for Itsuomi. Doing this sort of thing does show how committed she is with her newfound feelings for him and wanting to get to know him better.

While things so far between her and Itsuomi have been really wholesome and cute so far, with the way this show has been building up thus far, I'm sure we'll get some obstacles in their way soon enough. One of them is Yuki's childhood friend, Oushi. It's nice to know the origination of how he learnt sign language, which was to help his older sister who is also deaf like Yuki is, but he does feel too overly protective of what Yuki wants to do. His remark about Itsuomi does highlight how little he knows about him, so here's hoping that Oushi's perception of Itsuomi can be laid to rest as soon as possible.

The other obstacle is Emma. Yuki's concerns about her friendship to Itsuomi was spot on, as was shown towards the end of the episode with how clingy she was towards him in wanting to crash over at his place for the night, with cans of beer in her shopping bag, which kinds of implies what she truly wants. Seeing Yuki's sign language guide book will give her a much needed reality check soon enough.

So far, I'm really liking this series and how its portraying the characters so far. The romance elements does feel like a old-school Shoujo series, in a good way, but seeing how the characters interact with each other, whether it's a wholesome talk or one filled with tension and drama, does feel realistic. I do see the latter being more common in future episodes, so I do look forward to seeing how this story will progress from here. =)
Jan 21, 3:49 AM
May 2017
Reply to Dickegrobe
@leonardobarba If we were really really anal about it, he LITERALLY said (or tried to say, but kinda butchered the pronunciation) "You are sweet". But yea, meaningwise "cute" fits better.

... and that was completely off topic. Sry.
@Dickegrobe German as a second language happens.
Jan 21, 4:29 AM

Aug 2023
Another Cute and wholesome episode
Jan 21, 5:13 AM

Feb 2020
Yuki's little drawings 🥺

MANNN that laundromat scene was so fucking cute my ass was kicking my feet in the air like a teenage girl crushing over a boy lmao, he really is the ideal man (I need him so bad)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 7:22 AM
Mar 2019
Things are getting serious, and Itsuomi is not playiing around. I'm looking forward to where this is going.
Jan 21, 8:14 AM

Sep 2021
It feels like the rivalry is gonna be INTENSE!
Jan 21, 9:46 AM
Apr 2020
Today I leaned; More, cute, snow, like, and promise, looking forward to learning more, I'm loving this show even more,
Jan 21, 12:23 PM
Mar 2018
A sweet episode. I thought it was really cute how Yuki wrote a whole JSL guide for Itsuomi. His response was pretty cute too, insisting that she teach him in person (although I would hate to spend so much time on something, only for it to not be used ^^').

The new characters are intriguing, especially Emma. She's so pretty! I wonder what her whole deal with Itsuomi is. Simple unrequited love?
Jan 21, 12:29 PM
Nov 2022
Of course, it is obvious that if there is going to be any romantic conflict, Nao Touyama will be there, her voice is unmistakable xd
Jan 21, 1:11 PM

Jul 2016
Sweetness overload, love the slow pace.
Jan 21, 1:47 PM

Nov 2018
The art in this anime is very beautiful
Jan 21, 3:41 PM

Jul 2022
It's intresting to see a tattooed Japanese person in this series, I really wasn't expecting that even though I noticed a couple eps earlier.
Jan 21, 3:50 PM
Nov 2023
Emma is so overly pushy...
Jan 21, 4:17 PM
Oct 2019
Cuteness Overload....

Emma was voice by Nao Touyama... Of course it's always her LMAO
Jan 21, 4:27 PM
Nov 2023
Do NOT throw tissues at Yuki or we are gonna have some problems >:(
Jan 21, 4:34 PM

Dec 2007
Jesus. Emma needs some self respect... Oushi is going to be troublesome too. the guy will never understand that as long as he sees her as defective and in need to always be in her safe zone he will never be right for her.
Jan 21, 5:39 PM

Sep 2018
This anime is making me want to fall in love too, haha. I feel like it's portraying all kinds of crushes pretty accurately: the childlike first love, the hopeless romantic, the cruel unrequited...

That nice guy childhood friend is so slappable though. I'm less than an inch away from throwing fists with my screen anytime he shows up.
Jan 21, 5:54 PM

Sep 2023
I'm really impressed by the art/animation of this anime, it's really well done and very cute. We got a laundromat date in this episode, at least it's original! itsuomi was so cold to Emma at the end, I loved it xD
Jan 21, 9:14 PM
Nov 2023
Emma looks like bad news and she's going to cause drama...get rid of her please omg if she hurts Yuki i swear
Jan 22, 12:40 AM

Mar 2008
Yuki is so cute.

Oushi did make a fair point to Yuki even though he's probably jealous. She doesn't really know Itsuomi so realistically speaking it's better not to be alone with him if she were to be wiser. Since she communicates non verbally anyway even if they are around others they do still have a degree of a personal space between them so being alone isnt entirely needed to develop early intimacy.

I like that Itsuomi didnt just open up immediately. My German isn't good but "Du bist süß" is more literally "you are sweet" which more non literally is "you are cute".

Im finding some of these JSL signs cute. All the ones for cute Yuki spoke of (would you call it "speaking" still?) look like they are variations of head pats with the hand or a finger to represent a head while the other strokes or pats it. The locking of fingers to represent a pinky promise.

So what's the deal with Emma I wonder and why Itsuomi seems disgusted by her.
traedJan 22, 12:44 AM
Jan 22, 3:21 AM
Dec 2022
The good ole pinkie promise. Bit of backstory on Oushi's learning sign language.

We have Oushi on Yuki's corner and Emma on Itsuomi's corner. Perhaps these two can get together. Lol.
Jan 22, 9:31 AM

Nov 2012
get oushi out of this show NOWWW
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

195 by brii_23 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
May 11, 7:24 AM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

» SEASON 2???!!

kisaragi_eki - Apr 9

18 by Vicky9anime »»
May 1, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

116 by bucciest »»
Apr 30, 4:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.