Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 13, 10:41 AM

Aug 2021
I just can't force myself not to like Oushi for some reason, he learned sign language just for her and overall is really protective and kind to her. This episode was really cute
Jan 13, 11:16 AM

Oct 2020
Yuki is just so cute when she squees.
Jan 13, 11:21 AM

Jul 2022
A beautiful episode. The interactions between Yuki and Itsuomi are incredibly heartwarming. I also love what a great friend Rin is; I can't wait to see how they further develop her character.

We were introduced to Oushi, Yuki's childhood friend. I'm not sure if he'll be a rival for Itsuomi, but I find it somewhat unnecessary. It seems Oushi is quite the opposite of Itsuomi.

The good thing is that Yuki has accepted that she's in love with Itsuomi.
Jan 13, 11:53 AM

Jul 2019
It was quite an interesting episode. I would love to know more about the relationship between Oushi and Yuki. We also got decent development between Yuki and Itsuomi, can't wait for the next episode!

Jan 13, 12:30 PM

Mar 2007
Quickly realizing that both guys must have more than a passing interest in her as both have learned sign language.

Childhood friend is fluent, but only uses it to "tease" or say bad things to her. That idiot just friend zoned himself. The girl with the dog might be interested in him?

On the other hand the world traveler guy who already speaks other languages is learning this one too just because he wants to be in her world. That's seriously hot, he's definitely the front runner right now.
Jan 13, 12:48 PM

Jul 2022
why do I feel as if something bad was about to happen?
- yes I am average but how is that an excuse? -

Jan 13, 12:52 PM

Nov 2016
Absolutely loving it so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 13, 12:54 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to Gween_Gween
Is Yuki's whole personality being shy, cute, deaf, and in love? Just asking. Too much criticism against the typical plank male character and this is quite literally the same lmao
@Gween_Gween

She obviously gets a pass

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 13, 1:17 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! Shoujo fans are having the best. Cannot help but to fall in love with Yuki. She is an amazing girl.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 13, 1:26 PM

Jun 2012
this is so adorable, I'm internally squealing alongside Yuki hahah

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 13, 1:33 PM
Aug 2020
i'm in love with this b... joking)

ì love this anime, ost,animation, story

they are doing a really great job...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 13, 2:01 PM
Oct 2021
i can't believe how much CARE and love for the source material you can feel in this adaptation, for romance in general
watch momochi's house ep 2 and compare it to this one, abysmal differences
im so happy ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Jan 13, 2:26 PM

Sep 2013
Lovely show. Really liking both main charac. Very cute stuff
sic mundus
Jan 13, 2:29 PM
Aug 2022
I find it funny that my two favourite shows I’m watching this season are quite literally complete opposites from each-other.

I’m loving a sign of affection though it’s such a warm and fluffy show and I adore the art style. I already hope this gets a second season.
Jan 13, 2:37 PM

Apr 2022
Reply to Gween_Gween
Is Yuki's whole personality being shy, cute, deaf, and in love? Just asking. Too much criticism against the typical plank male character and this is quite literally the same lmao
@Gween_Gween since when are bocchi the rock fans capable of complaining about personalities? wow first step towards evolution.
Jan 13, 2:38 PM
Mar 2022
Reply to Lightsrevenge
I’m probably wrong but Itsuomi seems like a red flag . Her childhood friend might be overprotective but it seems like he really cares deeply for her.
@Lightsrevenge ITSUOMI IS THE GREEN FLAG!
Jan 13, 2:39 PM

Apr 2012
She first says that in Laos he saw "many things that she does not know about," and then says that his fingers "allowed her to feel some feelings previously unknown to her." For an apparently innocent shoujo, some of the lines in this show could be quite ambiguous.

@ApocalypSnow A girl named Yuki, who was previously involved with a girl named "Madoka", dyed her hair pink to become the main character. This show has some really weird symbolism.
Jan 13, 2:41 PM

Feb 2014
The interactions between Yuki and Itsuomi is really sweet. It can be a bit awkward at times, but seeing Itsuomi learning and effectively using sign language to converse with Yuki can only be a good thing for the both of them to get closer. Plus, I enjoyed the many pictures that Itsuomi took when he went to Laos. It kind of makes me want to go exploring abroad now! =D

This episode did introduce Yuki's childhood friend, Oushi. He seems to be the type of person that'll make the viewers either like him or dislike him, with fewer in-between. He does look rather unsocial with the way he looks at Yuki and others around him, but he does care about Yuki, considering how he's able to talk to her with sign language perfectly, which also came in handy when he was able to help a deaf man to realise that he didn't pay at the train station.

It could lead to a love triangle of some sort or it could be a false alarm, who knows. I think there's some strong potential for Oushi and those around him, so I do look forward to seeing more of him in future episodes.

Once again, this was a nice episode and continues the strong start for this series. =)
Jan 13, 2:43 PM

Apr 2013
Finally, sign language was more explored!

.·:*¨ ๐•พ๐–Š๐–™ ๐•ธ๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–—๐–Š๐–Š - ๐•ต๐–Š๐–˜๐–˜๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–† ๐•ต๐–š๐–“๐–Œ ¨*:·. ๐“†ฉโ™ก๐“†ช
๐Ÿฌ:๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿฑ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ใ…‡โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐Ÿฏ:๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿฒ
โ†บ¹ |โ— โ–ถ โ–ท| โ‹ฎ≡
Jan 13, 2:45 PM

Jun 2012
Reply to RobertBobert
She first says that in Laos he saw "many things that she does not know about," and then says that his fingers "allowed her to feel some feelings previously unknown to her." For an apparently innocent shoujo, some of the lines in this show could be quite ambiguous.

@ApocalypSnow A girl named Yuki, who was previously involved with a girl named "Madoka", dyed her hair pink to become the main character. This show has some really weird symbolism.
@RobertBobert it is not uncommon in asia that kids go rogue with their hair when they start university

due to how extremely strict the dress, hair, makeup code is at school, at least japan (some schools go as far as FORCING students with naturally lighter hair to color it darker so it doesn't stand out)

and this is why you see some crazy hair colors during uni

as after that they are forced to formal/stricter dress code when they start working

in that sense it makes sense (and a lot of people with disabilities like to experiment with their outer image to stand out or find their special style)

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 13, 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to NemuriNezumi
@RobertBobert it is not uncommon in asia that kids go rogue with their hair when they start university

due to how extremely strict the dress, hair, makeup code is at school, at least japan (some schools go as far as FORCING students with naturally lighter hair to color it darker so it doesn't stand out)

and this is why you see some crazy hair colors during uni

as after that they are forced to formal/stricter dress code when they start working

in that sense it makes sense (and a lot of people with disabilities like to experiment with their outer image to stand out or find their special style)

@NemuriNezumi I know, I just thought it was funny that her name was like Madoka's VA and that she dyed her hair pink after knowing a girl named Madoka as a child in order to become the main character.
Jan 13, 2:49 PM

Nov 2023
It's so cute, that's all I can think right now.
Jan 13, 3:17 PM

May 2021
Reply to ryzxgum
@Gween_Gween since when are bocchi the rock fans capable of complaining about personalities? wow first step towards evolution.
@ryzxgum Bocchi the Rock was successful and AOTY because of how they portrayed the personality of their characters lmao Insane deflection

Jan 13, 3:26 PM
Apr 2020
Sweet as usual, looks like shojo anime autors hate osana najimis. They are just introduced to get rejected smh.
Jan 13, 3:29 PM

Apr 2022
Reply to Gween_Gween
@ryzxgum Bocchi the Rock was successful and AOTY because of how they portrayed the personality of their characters lmao Insane deflection
@Gween_Gween just goes to show how low the title "AOTY" has sunk. it just got popular because of all the basement dweller discord mods without human interaction who could "relate" to bocchi you know, bOchi JuSt LiKe mE Fr. her only personality was being cringe, being unbearablely annoying and having social anxiety. somehow she was able-bodied yet more disabled than yuki lol thinking about it makes me appreciate this show even more.
Jan 13, 3:55 PM

May 2021
Reply to ryzxgum
@Gween_Gween just goes to show how low the title "AOTY" has sunk. it just got popular because of all the basement dweller discord mods without human interaction who could "relate" to bocchi you know, bOchi JuSt LiKe mE Fr. her only personality was being cringe, being unbearablely annoying and having social anxiety. somehow she was able-bodied yet more disabled than yuki lol thinking about it makes me appreciate this show even more.
@ryzxgum Enjoy it dude, I don't mind, my complaints are for myself

Jan 13, 3:56 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
From crushing to loving. Yuki sures hit something inside her head, huh? Perhaps its from a consistently Itsuomi pat?

Ah yes a fatherly protective childhood friend. I like his caring behavior and the way he works hard to understand the deaf people more, astounding. Alas our fmc here cannot be caged like that Oishi-kun. She wants the outside world, she wants Laos, she wants Itsuomi-kun.

I really wanna write something about the headpat, or shall i say headbang xd. But i decide to hole it up here and let him cook hard there, because that's what this show needs from a character like him...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 13, 3:59 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to Gween_Gween
@Gween_Gween

I sometimes wonder how your average anime troll can be so out of touch with reality...
You say some seriously dumb and cringe shit my boy lmao
How old are you? For real.

Start using that thing you have over your shoulders, I'll help you:

-She has a disability that makes having a simple everyday life HARD.
-She gets discriminated and excluded because of her condition.

BUT she still somehow finds strength to attend university and even tries to live a normal life according to her age.

Any person with a functional brain that understands what they are watching would describe her as -at very least- strong, resilient and persistent.

Also how can you say she is shy? lmao

Do you really think a shy person shows her feelings so easily?
That damn smile was something else.
In fact I would say she is kinda outgoing and cheerful despite her condition which is inspiring.

AnimeIs4KidzJan 13, 4:08 PM
Jan 13, 4:11 PM

Apr 2022
Reply to Gween_Gween
@ryzxgum Enjoy it dude, I don't mind, my complaints are for myself
@Gween_Gween i wouldn't try to make myself look goofy like that but fair enough, you do you man.
Jan 13, 4:23 PM

May 2021
Reply to AnimeIs4Kidz
@Gween_Gween

I sometimes wonder how your average anime troll can be so out of touch with reality...
You say some seriously dumb and cringe shit my boy lmao
How old are you? For real.

Start using that thing you have over your shoulders, I'll help you:

-She has a disability that makes having a simple everyday life HARD.
-She gets discriminated and excluded because of her condition.

BUT she still somehow finds strength to attend university and even tries to live a normal life according to her age.

Any person with a functional brain that understands what they are watching would describe her as -at very least- strong, resilient and persistent.

Also how can you say she is shy? lmao

Do you really think a shy person shows her feelings so easily?
That damn smile was something else.
In fact I would say she is kinda outgoing and cheerful despite her condition which is inspiring.

@AnimeIs4Kidz You are being brutally ableist, but I won't indulge in that.
She is shy. Her whole interchanges with people have been of a shy person. She couldn't express herself with a gaijin. She needed her friend to approach Itsuomi. She is always trembling and hiding behind her phone. She also couldn't go towards her friend when she was in the cafeteria and hid behind a column. How can you call this anything but shyness?
Also, you can assume that she has all the attributes you mention, but they are not in the actions that drive the story. You don't simply establish that a character is strong. You make that strength drive her actions. We haven't seen her being any of those things yet. Indeed, most scenes that have driven the story are the product of the other characters making some moves. The story seems to infantilize her a bit too much

Jan 13, 5:01 PM

Jul 2022
It's still too early into this anime to really make any opinions on the show as a whole, but the addition of the character Oushi and the use of sign are welcomed. see ya next week
Jan 13, 5:13 PM

Oct 2022
I feel really bad for the childhood friend.... I think his love is gonna hurt. Emotional support for Oushi-kun.
UndefeatedBahamut
Jan 13, 5:48 PM

Dec 2022
This one is just perfect, wholesome and beautiful, even the animation style is great.
Jan 13, 6:58 PM
Jun 2017
here we are again with my fave anime trope, CHILDHOOD FRIEND ...

anyways maybe im an adult already and one of the lessons i have learned is that dont give too much meaning in everything...

anyways to the girl, since she is just a teenager so she is telling that its love already (possibly).. but well lets see where this story will flow...
Jan 13, 7:50 PM

Jan 2022
I looove the OP, its so cute. Honestly, this is going to be my favorite anime this season! I'm so happy they're giving someone who's deaf representation positively unlike silent voice *cries* as someone who has shitty self-esteem and is not confident at all, I totally related to Yuki in that aspect. That childhood friend likes Yuki :( "do you want [item] or not? idk why I find that so funny. Bro I can't handle all the sweetness ughhhh This is freaking cute. I wish Yuki would just ask Itsuomi all the questions she thinks about!! Esp because they haven't had a full conversation. My boy, Itsuomi stayed at a hostel if he only paid $7/night. I wonder why she can't talk. God I just want these episodes to be longer. Waiting a week for each episode kills me. But I need to watch it, I can't wait that long. I feel like the childhood friend is lowkey a dick, but I do appreciate that he learned to sign for Yuki. He's just too direct. I just need an Istuomi that'll give me head pats irl pls god
This never updates so that's cool
Jan 13, 8:30 PM
Jul 2020
This childhood friend dude is easily my favourite part of the show now.

It takes a pretty vanilla romance and turns it into an actual compelling story which highlights the actual pronomes of he illness.

It’s very good that it isn’t treated as just a gimmick. It’s an actual handicap.

His characterisation is also amazing. He’s mean but clearly concerned about her. He’s an ass but also kind deep down.

Honestly bro showed more personality than glossy lips there.
Jan 13, 8:50 PM
Nov 2023
Does anybody know if the little souvenir doll he gave Yuki from Laos has some particular meaning?
Jan 13, 8:51 PM
Jan 2024
This anime is so cute and I enjoyed it a lot!
Jan 13, 8:52 PM

Oct 2022
I hope this man Itsuomi takes her to the outside world literally and metaphorically. This girl deserves every bit of happiness she can get.

Jan 13, 9:06 PM

Nov 2022
I've already learned my lesson not to root for childhood friend anymore since I know they won't have a chance to be with the protagonist. Just hope that he will get his own love interest in the future.
Jan 13, 10:17 PM

Aug 2010
Liking the anime's direction more than the manga so far. I think it shows how different Yuki's world is better than the manga did.
Jan 13, 10:37 PM

Oct 2022
I feel like the childhood friend has the right intentions but wrong execution. It's very common for hearing people to infantilize hard-of-hearing/deaf people and believe that they can't do anything by themselves because of their disability. Hoping that's not the case and he's just really protective of her.
Jan 13, 10:54 PM

Dec 2022
I can't blame her for falling to him, Itsuomi is hot and cool.
Jan 13, 11:09 PM
Sensei

Sep 2012
I liked the little bit of backstory this episode gave, I feel like I understand why Yuki is so shy a bit better now. Looking forward to learning more about her relationship with Oushi and why he's so aloof yet protective.
Jan 13, 11:16 PM

Oct 2022
I'm gonna probably feel bad for Oushi guy, he's not gonna have a chance at all.
Jan 13, 11:19 PM

Apr 2015
Noooooooooo, please don't let this be a love triangle, I can't help but almost always root for the childhood friend in romance shows so I'm gonna be really sad if Oushi is gonna be stuck in the friendzone. Though kind of interesting how he has more of a "bad boy/tsundere" vibe going on compared to Itsuomi, usually it's the other way around lol. That said, he seems to really care for Yuki and look out for her often, but at the same time, his approach feels a bit off...well anyways, it's just the second episode so I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out!

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 13, 11:52 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Childhood friend always losing has almost become an anime trope ;_; . On the other hand, Yuki is waaay too much in love. Let's see how this develops.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jan 13, 11:58 PM

Jan 2021
I already feel bad for Oushi somehow. Childhood friends can't catch a break
Jan 14, 12:03 AM

Nov 2022
Man, this show is just so adorable. And when I say this show I mean Yuki. She's beyond precious. When she was rolling around and fidgeting in her bed I was smiling so much. The loveheart as a sign for "it's love" was really cute too.
Jan 14, 12:17 AM
Apr 2018
Allright another good folllow up episode. Things are progressing at a decent pace.

Yuki finally confirmed thats its actually love shes feeling for itsuomi rather than just crushing. To a degree yes i can see her feelings with her conversations and inner thoughts towards him "wanting it to be love" and her affirmations again and again but i just have one doubt that from childhood she has that longing and curiosity of reaching out for more and exploring the unknown world infront of her which itsuomi is like a human reincarnation of. So is that also a factor playing into it? Hope she gets to clarify this on her own.

Also itsuomi shows a lot of interest as well towards yuki, reciprocating and showing signs of affection be it through vebally and sometimes through physical affection like patting, sharing his journey with her and bringing gifts for her as well. so he clearly showing the signs too but still dont know what his deal is. it feels a little too good to be true especially since hes quite popular and has fair share of experiences of his own or maybe he has his own curiosity towards yuki as well. we'll see how it develops.

As for oushi i am liking his character, he looks like a kind caring. soul and apparently since being yukis childhood friend and knowing sign language most probably learnt it for her which i really respect and love. Hes also apparently i guess kinda over protective towards yuki since with her disability shes more vunlerable to being taken advantage of which i understand and especially with his talks with the izumi lady who also i think knows yuki and oushis relationship well. Now his radar is out for itsuomi and is in defensive mode for yuki. Also well there also might be the factor he has feelings for her, which i hope even if its the case doesnt get dragged on too much cause i really am not a big fan of love triangles cause they really dampen the story imo and might affect it adveresely as well.

Finally i think i am loving rin even more, shes such a mood to be with, be it wingmaning, supporting and just a positive vibe to the story. Also i am interested in her love story as well.

Looking forward to next episode.

Also rollng yuki is so cute <3

Kipo0007Jan 14, 12:21 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

194 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:22 PM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

» SEASON 2???!!

kisaragi_eki - Apr 9

18 by Vicky9anime »»
May 1, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

116 by bucciest »»
Apr 30, 4:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.