Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 14, 12:23 AM

Oct 2022
I was wondering if we'd get to see proper sign language in this show. Anyway, childhood friend deserves justice ✊

Jan 14, 12:41 AM
Mar 2019
I already feel sorry for the childhood friend. This is one of those anime where he doesn't get the girl.
Jan 14, 12:44 AM

Dec 2022
I really like the subtle things about deaf life this show tries to convey, like how the normal troubles and uncertainty of romance are compounded.  I didn't know it was tougher to read lips from the side, for example.
Jan 14, 1:14 AM

Oct 2022
Yuki has really nice chibi expressions, super cute.

Oushi looks pretty overprotective of Yuki and a bit mean but it seems to come from a place of not wanting to see her get hurt by trying out new things. Unfortunately for him, Yuki that's not what Yuki wants and Itsuomi can help Yuki see new things so I doubt he's winning.
Jan 14, 3:02 AM

Aug 2020
Enjoying the show so far.

The antagonist in the the child friend persona is legit imo, showing exactly what we are doing wrong (“WE” as in “the men in society”), too much effort to learn JSL just to pick on her (friendish stuff), very straight-forward harsh words (friendish way) and wanting to keep her enclosured from life itself showing he’s too immature to really keep her safe while showing her the world. You know, he could’ve done that for her, because he was there since the begining, right? But HE chose the friendzone path and now he got a real competition in Itsuomi, a man that understand his role in a relationship that is to provide and secure here, I dig that, he uses kind words to her and treats her right while showing her the amazing complexity of this world, showing here that her disability should not hinder her from living, she’s flourishing through his care and protection, very nice.

Idk if this is a saying in all the world, but here in Brazil we often say “when the love is good, it cames back”.
I see like that, I can put a bird in a cage and say “I love it, that why I keep it safe” (Oushi’s vision of safeness, hindering) but the second I open the cage the bird will fly away as far as it can because the bird don’t see that as protection but as privation from living, now if I put a water fountain and a plate of food in my yard, the birds will came everyday and I can still love them that way (Itsuomi’s vision of protection, providing).
Imo I don’t think women are looking for a cage to be in.

I hope Oushi can learn from Itsuomi how to properly treat a woman in the end so he can grow up too and see that Yuki will be fine.

🎃 My MALoween Candy 2023 🎃

Jan 14, 3:04 AM

Jun 2021
I'm loving this, such a breath of fresh air
MickeyMinajJan 16, 5:50 AM
Jan 14, 3:11 AM
Jan 2018
Please, I want this anime to blow up in popularity! Koe no Katachi vibes but this time, if the female mc was appreciated from the beginning and attending uni ❤️
Jan 14, 3:46 AM

Nov 2014
There's something about how Oushi acts that stings me a little... I wonder if I've ever unconsciously done something like that

I'm surprised looking back at the episode how much set-up they managed to do this episode, while still maintaining the general good vibes from the 1st episode. Ohhh the tension is killing me!
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 14, 3:47 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
She’s soooo cute man i love her. Absolutely adorable

My guy has gotta stop patting her head though XD

Childhood friend is the cliche child who likes a girl and shows it by being mean
Jan 14, 3:51 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
ryzxgum said:
@Gween_Gween just goes to show how low the title "AOTY" has sunk. it just got popular because of all the basement dweller discord mods without human interaction who could "relate" to bocchi you know, bOchi JuSt LiKe mE Fr. her only personality was being cringe, being unbearablely annoying and having social anxiety. somehow she was able-bodied yet more disabled than yuki lol thinking about it makes me appreciate this show even more.

Didn’t like bocchi my guy? I haven’t watched it yet but i’ve heard great things. Certainly on my plan-to-watch
Jan 14, 4:16 AM
May 2022
it was cute as always but this episode a bit slow
Jan 14, 4:52 AM

Apr 2022
Reply to aoo-kun
ryzxgum said:
@Gween_Gween just goes to show how low the title "AOTY" has sunk. it just got popular because of all the basement dweller discord mods without human interaction who could "relate" to bocchi you know, bOchi JuSt LiKe mE Fr. her only personality was being cringe, being unbearablely annoying and having social anxiety. somehow she was able-bodied yet more disabled than yuki lol thinking about it makes me appreciate this show even more.

Didn’t like bocchi my guy? I haven’t watched it yet but i’ve heard great things. Certainly on my plan-to-watch
@AOD-san the only thing i liked was the animation, i know you like spy x family lmao and its from the same studio. but the main character wasn't for me at all. you should also try k-on though, i thought that was fun.
Jan 14, 5:14 AM
Oct 2019
oh boy here comes the Osana Najimi. you know it's gonna be hurt.

This Anime is just too cute and wholesome.
Jan 14, 5:29 AM

Dec 2022
Never knew sign language could look so aggressive, but man, Oushi clearly has a bone to pick. As funny as "I learned sign language to pick on the deaf kid" would be, pretty sure he's gonna be the snubbed love interest here.

Jan 14, 5:36 AM

Dec 2022
Man I feel bad for Oushi, learned sign language just for her. But Itsuomi dude is likely someone he can't match.
Jan 14, 5:51 AM

Nov 2013
Oh boy... Have mixed feelings about the childhood friend. He may be a tsundere-type who's expectedly rough, but he did learn sign-language for her sake after all. The question is why?
Wonder if he does this out of pity , taking a role of an "older-brother", or there's love involved. Would be sad if it's love since MC likely won't ever see him as love-interest.
Jan 14, 7:04 AM
Oct 2021
The FL is soooo cute T.T
Jan 14, 7:38 AM
Feb 2019
Wohoho I feel a little jelly coming from Itsuomi when he saw Oushi communicating using sign with Yuki.. Man really need to learn sign ASAP.
Jan 14, 8:09 AM
Mar 2018
This episode cemented my love of the show, I thought it was just as good as the first and I liked that it broadened the scope by introducing more characters. Oushi was actually my favorite part of this installment; I could feel his longing and inner conflict, all the things he wants to say, but doesn't. I look forward to seeing where he goes from here.

On another note, Yuki is adorable, but I really hope she tones down the shyness soon, at least a little bit.

Looking forward to next week!
Jan 14, 8:41 AM

Aug 2023
I liked Oushi's character and personality and I don't if he love Yuki but I think if he does I don't think he will confess to her.

Overall the episode was good and I liked it.
Jan 14, 8:51 AM
Jun 2021
So wholesome 🥹
Jan 14, 8:59 AM
Nov 2022
is this worth watching?
Jan 14, 9:32 AM
Mar 2015
She does have it bad for our traveling friend
Jan 14, 9:42 AM

Jun 2016
sometimes im getting annoyed by lips of the boys character !!
Jan 14, 9:55 AM
Jan 2016
amazing, thoughtfull, beautiful, smart, realistic, lovely
Jan 14, 9:58 AM

Jun 2012
Reply to Insane_0_2
is this worth watching?
@Zero_Two_0_2_ yes, absolutely!!

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 14, 11:24 AM

Feb 2014
AAh she's so cute & he's learning sign language for her!!! <3

H A L L S O F I V Y
Kaveh by Nate
Jan 14, 11:49 AM

Nov 2018
Yuki and Itsuomi are definitely one of the best couples this season.
Jan 14, 12:20 PM
Feb 2021
cute interactions <3
Jan 14, 12:33 PM
Jul 2007
Here we go again ... the childhood friend love interest rival.

Jan 14, 2:47 PM
Nov 2018
Yuki is just adorable, that is all
Jan 14, 3:45 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Reply to ryzxgum
@AOD-san the only thing i liked was the animation, i know you like spy x family lmao and its from the same studio. but the main character wasn't for me at all. you should also try k-on though, i thought that was fun.
@ryzxgum oh yeah k-on looks cute, similar rockband vibes

and yeah I enjoy Spy Family XD it's not in my top 20 but it's a solid 8/10 for me
Jan 14, 5:05 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Another good episode. Looking forward to next week’s episode.
Jan 14, 7:17 PM
May 2022
Another good episode. Here’s everyone’s favorite character, Oushi. I’ll reserve what I think of him for later because he’s something alright. But as for now, he is not stopping Yuki’s feelings for Itsuomi from growing stronger. I do really like the art style for this show but I do think the lips look weird. But oh well relatively small complaint.
Jan 14, 7:19 PM

Mar 2011
This episode was cute. I'm glad they included the transition from having a crush to falling in love although I feel like it happened a little to quickly but I appreciate they tried (this hit a little too close to home :D). But it was nice to see Yuki's thought process on this. And since it's the first time for her (I assume?) it feels fresh and new. Itsuomi's sense for boundaries is a little different from other characters but I feel like it's also due to his international interactions and from him living abroad.

Oh no, they added a childhood friend which is... well, I usually like the trope or rather I don't mind it as much as others if there is a reason but even I start to feel it's overused. Although since he knows sign language it could make things a little more iteresting (right now I don't really know how to feel about him). This just makes me wonder how come he knows sign language but Yuki's mother doesn't? Or at least it does not seem like this (I could be wrong). But if that would be the case it would be extremely weird.

I still really love the style of this anime. The atmosphere is so different but in a very refreshing way. Also the awkwardness in the beginning was very authentic.
Wildflower3Jan 14, 7:25 PM
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Jan 14, 8:25 PM
Nov 2022
I liked the episode, I love the symbolism in which they put colors to represent the sensations that Yuki has, (unlike in other animes they put a musical track that represents the moment shown).
Jan 14, 11:16 PM
May 2020
ITSUOMI LEARNING THE MORNING GREETING FOR HER OMGGGGG... My heart!!
Jan 15, 12:39 AM
Jan 2024
Cuando pensaba que el primer episodio era insuperable en dulzura, llega esto.
Jan 15, 3:43 AM
Jul 2022
Um deleito assistir essa adaptação, está superando tudo!
Jan 15, 8:38 AM

Jun 2020
I can see Oushi's good intention from how he is interacting with Yuki. It's okay for being honest and straightforward, but I guess it'll be better if he tells how he thoughts a little bit nicer and consider how Yuki will take his words.
Jan 15, 9:06 AM

Jan 2019
It's a small detail, but I really enjoyed how they showed that her hair must be dyed since it was darker as a child. There's a charm in it for me.
why am i plagued with furry jokes everywhere I go
Jan 15, 11:04 AM

Jul 2016
Theming about the world and expanding your world are definitely a central part of the story. More headpats too please, so cute. <3
Jan 15, 1:09 PM

Nov 2022
These two eps were sweet af, great watch so far :)

Damn now imagine how much it sucks for the girls approaching Itsuomi, they basically already lost lol (unless somehow Yuki won't end up with him, but then we riot!)
Jan 15, 2:53 PM
Nov 2014
they're so cute!!
Jan 15, 5:32 PM

Jul 2016
Barely five minutes of screen-time and the childhood friend already shows more interesting points (as well as way more room for potential development) than perfect white-haired MC-kun. That's shoujo for you.
Jan 15, 6:13 PM
Sep 2020
Good romance aside, this is one of the finest visual anime this season
Jan 15, 8:47 PM
Jul 2023
My favourite moment was when Rin shouted when Yuki couldn't.
Jan 16, 7:32 AM
Apr 2022
the childhood friend is in the friend zone, good episode
Jan 16, 1:09 PM
Jan 2023
It is a very nice show but it is not consistent. For example, Yuki's friend and mom, Rin, converses with her verbally and Yuki understands everything but when it comes to itsoumi she doesn't understand what he says. In some scenes, she says "I know when they talk about me" like her intuition just tells her but not in a way that she can hear them. I love the concept of the anime. I have studied sign language myself. I appreciate that this anime is shedding light on such an important matter but I just wished it was consistent.
Jan 16, 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
Reply to tontana
It is a very nice show but it is not consistent. For example, Yuki's friend and mom, Rin, converses with her verbally and Yuki understands everything but when it comes to itsoumi she doesn't understand what he says. In some scenes, she says "I know when they talk about me" like her intuition just tells her but not in a way that she can hear them. I love the concept of the anime. I have studied sign language myself. I appreciate that this anime is shedding light on such an important matter but I just wished it was consistent.
@tontana probably because Itsuomi is not exactly that expressive to begin with

like when learning a new language there is a lot of words that will be new to you and you will have to learn the meaning through context by listening to a whole conversation (sometimes words can be exactly the same, but depending on tone, expression or situation can mean the total opposite), and in a conversation looking at the interlocutor's facial or hand expressions can help a lot

the show itself already displayed the fact that she does mistake some words she is not familiar with that might sound ever so slightly similar (example: "Laos/ラオス" & "Demon King/Mao/魔王", she probably saw the way "A/あ" and "O/お" were being articulated, but if Itsuomi is the type to talk quietly to begin with you will notice this type of people tend to not move their mouth nearly as much/"exaggerate" compared to someone who is "louder" more outgoing/extroverted)

if you are around friends and family, same scenario all your life etc (which was her case, hence why she wants to know more about what is outside her "world/bubble"), you will be used to a certain vocabulary which is why she can predict them
but like at the very beginning of the first ep, she thought the guy was a foreigner and didn't speak japanese, turns out he was talking to her in japanese but she couldn't understand probably because she couldn't read his lips either (as he was clearly not from there)

I personally don't know sign language (I do want to! but given there is no "international version" I'm probably going to have to wait until I know in which country I will end up staying first), but I am fluent in 5 and know/can read in a couple more
although obviously it is different, I can actually emphatize a bit (especially the internal dialogue/translation) as even if I am 100% fluent in some, sometimes you end up talking to someone and you do struggle a bit to understand them (be it because of a really heavy accent, or because they are the extreme quiet type that tends to eat words, stutter or go wayyy too fast)

what would be unrealistic imo would be her to be able to read everyone's lips, for that she would need to have a wide range of acquaintances and that is clearly not the case (like even with her friend, there are some words she couldn't grasp at first when they were first talking about crushes an love and the friend had to type what she meant and then she understood it, so it is clearly not only with Itsuomi)
NemuriNezumiJan 16, 3:24 PM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

194 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:22 PM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

» SEASON 2???!!

kisaragi_eki - Apr 9

18 by Vicky9anime »»
May 1, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

116 by bucciest »»
Apr 30, 4:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.