Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 8:41 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to Pingunata
There was nothing to look for here lol. Your basic Ikemen ML, and a woman who she loves him, but always gets rejected. Petite woman and her childhood friend who loves her as well. Unrequited, of course. Lol.

Ikemen and Petite woman falls in love~~

And, there is a discussion about her hearing aids doesn't do anything.
@Pingunata don't mind, buddy. each story has its charm. Otherwise, there was no need for your birth.
Jan 6, 8:46 AM

Jun 2013
A silent voice : university edition (he's not a former bully though)

I hope they add translations for the sign language
Jan 6, 8:56 AM
Nov 2010
So Yuki use earphone but still not hear anything?
Does not understand, what earphone do?
Jan 6, 8:57 AM
Jun 2019
I liked this first episode, it was cute... I'm just wondering why does she uses the hearing aids if they don't work at all? Are they just for us to understand that she can't hear?
I don't know how that works so if someone could explain it that would be nice.

Anyway, it was a sweet episode and I like the characters personalities and the visuals.
Jan 6, 9:08 AM
Jul 2023
I really liked how the anime shows that Ituomi's actions towards Yuki are clearly a sign that he tires to accomodate to her deafness. He is just a kind, but socially awkward guy, while in the manga, he came across more as like your typical "mysterious" ML.
Jan 6, 9:13 AM

Apr 2021
In a series that heavily relies on chats, it's so impractial to put the translation between or behind the japanese words instead on top/bottom. I've never seen it done like this.

So watching it with english subs it is. They are doing it the right way.

But other than that, I really like this one and I'm so ready to cry in the future. Plus points for having it play in university.
Jan 6, 9:16 AM
Feb 2021
I get so emotional when a manga i've been reading for a while gets an adaptation after so long. I've been keeping up with the twt page of the production and the author that watching the op, the first episode, and ending feels so refreshing. I really hope to see how they animate all the sign parts throughout the episodes and looking forward to a great watch :))
Jan 6, 9:29 AM
Apr 2016
Reply to jtredenick
Ain't this just a copy of A silent voice?
@jtredenick How is it a copy of a silent voice? Because of the disability?
Jan 6, 9:33 AM

Jul 2011
A silent voice but this time the heroine entering a romance with a passport bro gigachad. If anything, it teaches us if you don't look like a male character drawn by a shoujo manga artist (tipically female author) then you have no hope in romance and you get the girl on episode 1. I'll give it 3 episodes if it doesn't exceed my expectations or is as good as a silent voice then drop.
Jan 6, 9:40 AM
Jan 2019
Such a wonderful episode 10/10. I’m not disappointed at all
Jan 6, 9:40 AM
Mar 2020
With not much going on this season, I decided to pick up a simple, straightforward classic shoujo romance. It moved a lot faster than I expected. We've seen the "they meet when he intercedes in a train encounter" trope before, but handholding in the very first episode? How very forward! Seems like this one's going to be focused on an established relationship rather than the establishment thereof.
Jan 6, 9:47 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Well, that was the best first episode of the season, so far. I expected this one to be pretty good though, so no surprises there really. I didn't expect to already like the male MC so much. That is a good thing because when Yuki's friend said she had someone she liked too, my brain couldn't help but jump immediately to yuri, haha. The male lead being likable helped soften the blow of hearing those words while knowing this isn't a yuri story.
Jan 6, 9:55 AM
Sep 2023
empathicweeb said:

no this is very different
Jan 6, 9:55 AM

Apr 2022
why do women mangakas keep writing attractive men acting in these creepy disgusting ways
Jan 6, 9:58 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to felixsifuri
why do women mangakas keep writing attractive men acting in these creepy disgusting ways
@felixsifuri Creepy disgusting ways ??? Lol did we watch the same show ?
Jan 6, 9:58 AM
Dec 2023
It was a nice beginning, super cute anime.
Jan 6, 9:59 AM

Feb 2021
I really loved this episode!! Beautiful animation, beautiful voices, beautiful depiction of story. Opening and ending is also good!! I like Itsuomi, Yuki and Rin. I was so excited for this anime and now I'm looking forward to watching it's upcoming episodes!! Overall this episode was great!! And I can say it surpassed my expectations.
Alice23_Jan 6, 10:10 AM
Jan 6, 10:00 AM
Apr 2016
Reply to yuzukoikotaro
empathicweeb said:

no this is very different
@yuzukoikotaro i agree that it's very different, but I was just genuinly curious what the similarities are.
Jan 6, 10:04 AM

Apr 2022
Reply to ZXEAN
@felixsifuri Creepy disgusting ways ??? Lol did we watch the same show ?
@ZXEAN dude is grabbing her head and getting all up in her personal space in the first minute they meet, then repeats the same thing later. If you don't see how that's creepy, then I'm worried for you
Jan 6, 10:10 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to felixsifuri
@ZXEAN dude is grabbing her head and getting all up in her personal space in the first minute they meet, then repeats the same thing later. If you don't see how that's creepy, then I'm worried for you
@felixsifuri I might be different from you guys because I found that part really cute. He didn't do anything to take advantage of the girl moreover he is very eager to help her seeing her disability.
Jan 6, 10:12 AM

Sep 2008
This is different. Believe only the second anime I've seen with focus on a deaf character since seeing A Silent Voice a while back. Has some familiar storytelling beats typical of a shoujo romance, but they do enough with the characters where you can care for them and appreciate the attention to detail with the characters accommodating Yuki's disability when they communicate with her. Looking forward to seeing more of this in the weeks to come.
Jan 6, 10:14 AM

Apr 2022
Reply to ZXEAN
@felixsifuri I might be different from you guys because I found that part really cute. He didn't do anything to take advantage of the girl moreover he is very eager to help her seeing her disability.
@ZXEAN yeah and that's fine and all but him trying to help her doesn't excuse the weird behaviour. If some stranger put their hand on my head I would flip out. Doesn't matter how hot they are. There may be an in-lore reason why he's acting like he's socially inept but so far that was not communicated well, and stuff like this happens in shoujo way too often.
Jan 6, 10:20 AM
Nov 2020
A lot of emotions went into this first episode. I have high hopes for this adaptation. That being said does anyone know why she wears hearing aid if she’s completely deaf?
Jan 6, 10:21 AM

Sep 2021
Wholesome episode, totally loved it! Can't wait for next one!
Jan 6, 10:23 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to ZXEAN
@ZXEAN I agree. Moreover, we can tell and anyone can tell that if something makes someone feel uncomfortable or bad and what he did wasn't bad or creepy. Yes, it startled her but if a girl did that perhaps that would be startling for her too and it especially startled her because he's a guy. What he did was wasn't something that would make her feel uncomfortable or insecure, it was gentle and kind and she felt that, she could tell that.
Jan 6, 10:23 AM

Feb 2019
jtredenick said:

Literally only has a deaf girl in common.. what do y’all be saying on here lmao
Jan 6, 10:24 AM

Feb 2019
felixsifuri said:

Because it’s aimed at girls and will obviously cater to the female fantasy. Just like shonen will have creepy girls who come up in a guy’s face with their tits out and what not. It’s just fanservice.
Jan 6, 10:25 AM

Feb 2019
Koe no katachi sequel?? Let’s gooo! Awesome first episode that really sets this story apart from other romance stories. Extremely warm and wholesome premiere. Love everything about it from production values to the characters. Definitely plays into shoujo tropes with the whole hot guy saving girl in distress on the train opening, but I like its execution.

Also finally a polyglot male lead in an anime!! As a language guy myself(speak 7) it was cool to see Rin introduce Itsuomi that way as my mom does the same stuff whenever she introduces me lmao.

That scene in the bar is nice in general because it really conveys the sense of isolation Yuki feels not being able to speak. Itsuomi is presented as a guy who is an expert at using language to communicate with people whether it’s his native Japanese or his acquired languages. He’s shown a willingness to meet people where they’re at.

Even though he’s not able to speak sign language, he’s still really good at communicating with Yuki as well and you can tell he’ll definitely learn at some point. Communication is such an important skill to have in romance stories to avoid the overdone cliches, so this already bodes well for the plot

“If there’s a way to put an end to these feelings that burst into my world, then I don’t want to know it” 😭 wow that’s how you cap off a great first episode. Beautiful moment signifying a turning point in both of their lives. What can’t be communicated with words will be shared with their feelings. Between this and Bokuyaba on Saturdays we are eating good

The run that shoujo romance has been on lately is great, so many adaptations and I love it. Hopefully this signals a resurgence of the genre
Marinate1016Jan 6, 10:50 AM
Jan 6, 10:25 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to felixsifuri
@ZXEAN yeah and that's fine and all but him trying to help her doesn't excuse the weird behaviour. If some stranger put their hand on my head I would flip out. Doesn't matter how hot they are. There may be an in-lore reason why he's acting like he's socially inept but so far that was not communicated well, and stuff like this happens in shoujo way too often.
@felixsifuri You are not the main character so it's perfectly fine, Yuki seems to take it more positively and thanks him for helping her.
Jan 6, 10:27 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Lightsrevenge
A lot of emotions went into this first episode. I have high hopes for this adaptation. That being said does anyone know why she wears hearing aid if she’s completely deaf?
@Lightsrevenge wearing hearing aid helps those who are deaf, hear little sounds of the loud sounds near them. Hearing aids amplify sounds and make them more noticeable. And the story doesn't say that she cannot notice sounds totally (completely deaf).
Alice23_Jan 6, 10:34 AM
Jan 6, 10:30 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to kisaragi_eki
@ZXEAN so 40 chapter is not enough to make 24 eps?
@kisaragi_eki No, they usually adapt 2 chapters per episode. Even three or four on some 24 minute long 4koma

BTW nice first episode.
Jan 6, 10:31 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to felixsifuri
@felixsifuri Bro, it's not creepy when you are decent looking.

Remember that meme? it's 100% real.

Once I got away with touching a classmate's calf while saying some dumb shit like "hey, you look fit. Do you run often or something?"
I have been tall and fit all my life.
AnimeIs4KidzJan 6, 10:34 AM
Jan 6, 10:34 AM

Feb 2014
My main draw into this series prior to watching the first episode was the similarities that Yuki has with A Silent Voice's Shouko in being deaf. After watching the first episode, I'm happy that A Sign of Affection does things its own way compared to what A Silent Voice does.

The visuals do look pretty, not only for the character interactions, but also for the background detailing, too. It brings the series to life whether the scene is at the college campus or in a residential area at night.

Speaking of, the way that Yuki interacted with Itsuomi was cute. He might be a little invasive at first due to probably being socially inept, but he means no harm at all and he not only cares about her, but he wants to know her better, too. Yuki's friend, Rin, was spot on in going out in the evening together as not only did Rin was successful in getting a bit closer to Itsuomi's cousin, who runs the cafe, but Yuki and Itsuomi got closer, too.

This is some nice progression in the first episode already! I do look forward to seeing how Yuki and Itsuomi get along more next time. Same goes with Rin, as I'm impressed with how nice of a friend she is to Yuki. =)
Jan 6, 10:38 AM
Sep 2021
jtredenick said:

Ahh man! Not even close. The only thing in common is the deaf girl, that's all.
Jan 6, 10:48 AM
Aug 2022
Well this has easily become my favourite show airing rn. It’s so adorable
Jan 6, 10:49 AM
Jul 2021
The premise was promising from the outlook and so far the first episode has been incredible. Yuki is endearing and her dynamic with her friend is cute and fun to watch. Itsuo makes a strong impression in every way and drops jaws with “let me in your world” lmao. There’s not much missing for me from this, might be anime of the season so far from what’s already come out.
Jan 6, 10:56 AM
Jul 2022
I am a big fan of the manga so when the series was announced, I was happy but also a little worried about how an anime adaptation would work. I was really perplexed on how dialogues and inner thoughts of Yuki would be represented (especially because the manga is from her point of view) and I've to say when I watched the trailer my preoccupation increased: having a spoken inner dialogue really worried me that every interaction Yuki has would be read out loud in her head for the audience. Now, I can happily say I was very wrong , not only they did a very great job with her interactions with other character but they also really put attention to represent her point of view. Really happy for this adaptation, because Yuki really is one of my favourite female lead in shojo manga. Also the animation are so very pretty, after 34 seconds I was melting already
lyngulJan 6, 11:02 AM
Jan 6, 11:13 AM

Nov 2013
one of the cutest anime of the season for sure lol
feels bad for people who can't communicate properly because of illnesses but she sure has a way to understand people, be it reading their lips (wtf i'd never be able to do that), sign language or just writing it, like Komi-san

having hearing problems also bring other problems, like not hearing cars and other stuff aproaching, we saw that this episode

both girls got the contact that they wanted, mission accomplished :D

there's many cute expressions from Yuuki this episode, like the clapping in the bar, the jumping at the end, or just her other sign language (like holding both hands together), her putting her hand in her head when leaving home (salute)

anyway, after starting every anime this season, this will be one of the easy choices to keep watching
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 6, 11:17 AM

Feb 2023
Excellent 1st episode. Double dog damn bro’s got some major rizz!
Jan 6, 11:40 AM

Jul 2022
I didn't think I'd enjoy this romantic shoujo, but after watching this episode, I was hooked.

The OP by Novelbright is serene yet evocative, creating a comforting atmosphere. Even though the ED hasn't completely convinced me, it's still alright. I also have to mention the soft, colorful art style that makes me eager to see more of this anime.

Yuki strikes me as a highly expressive protagonist. Despite struggling to communicate with everyone, she demonstrates true friendship with Rin (an amazing friend, by the way) and her growing attraction to Itsuomi is intriguing.

I haven't read the manga, but this romance makes me believe it could develop further. Itsuomi seems different from the typical Japanese romance anime character; perhaps because of his travels worldwide, he doesn't adhere so strictly to the usual behavior. This interest in exploring the world might attract Yuki, as hinted in the beautiful final scene.

Now, I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming episodes to see how Yuki experiences her first love.
Jan 6, 11:48 AM

Jun 2008
Very refreshing to see a show like that in the season of Isekai.
Jan 6, 12:02 PM
Jan 2023
What a beautiful first chapter, pure soul-purifying romance😭
Jan 6, 12:05 PM
Jan 2023
Mainnus said:
Perfection!

Every emotions are perfectly convey and every interactions have meaningful intent. The cute and beautiful visual is the cherry on top.

Definitely gonna be one of the best series this season.

totally agree! is beautiful and charming
Jan 6, 12:12 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Now this right here is good stuff, it not only looks beautiful with the art and animation but this romance has already melted me during the cold winter on episode 1 lol. I wasn’t expecting to like the relationship between Yuki and Itsuomi this fast, but man they really are very sweet together from their few interactions, the fact Itsuomi understood how to communicate with Yuki right away is a big part of that so they wasted no time with the cuteness, but the cuteness is mainly coming from Yuki because she is super cute lol, not to mention Itsuomi being a handsome lad.

And we have Rin to thank for that last scene which would have made the episode had I not been loving it already. The scene was set perfectly, the cold snowy night backgrounds looked very nice and the facial expressions really sold it, and now I’m very excited to see where the rest of this one is going, having this and “Dangers in My Heart” on the same day might destroy me lol. And I have to mention the unique aspect of Yuki being deaf, so far I’m liking the different types of interactions she’s having because of it, it’s something I’m not familiar with so I look forward to seeing how it’s handled going forward as well. And the OP and ED were both very good, I especially loved that ED, last time I heard ChoQMay was on “Last Boss Queen” and their ED there slapped as well, love hearing them again.
TheColonel76Jan 6, 12:16 PM
Jan 6, 12:20 PM
Dec 2014
I discovered about this anime today, and based on this episode, It will be a cute romance and history.
The fact we listen Yuki's thougts, mainly, makes us enter Yuki's world and atmosphere. I am excited!
Jan 6, 12:35 PM

Jul 2019
Very cute first episode! Felt like a very classic shojo anime, with a twist of a deaf main character which is nice as it's a good thing different kinds of people are getting representation in anime. Everything felt very soft and I liked the softness of the color palette, which felt very suitable to the main heroine. I can't wait to see how things will unwrap as there were some red flags here and there and considering classic shojo, there is bound to be some heart-pounding drama and moments~.
Other places where to find me:

☆ AO3/FF/tumblr/YouTube: Tuliharja
☆ Pixiv: Tuliharja/72847426
☆ DA: Tuliharja-art
☆ Instagram: tuliharja_art
Jan 6, 12:37 PM

Mar 2020
A really solid premiere, one of the best, if not the best one this season. Really pretty visuals and great music for an all around great experience. Obviously there will be comparisons to A Silent Voice to be made, and that may very well be a valid comparison, but we'll see. Character designs have that "shoujo filter" on them, and I'm not a huge fan of Itsuomi's design in particular, but it is what it is, and it may still grow on me with time. Overall, definitely one worth checking out, and should be one of the best of the season.
Jan 6, 12:39 PM
Jun 2020
KANLen09 said:
@jtredenick Yup, in many ways which is one, but is slightly different in its execution.

this is literally nothing like silent voice. the only thing in common is the fact that it explores the difficulties of being deaf by having a deaf FL
Jan 6, 12:49 PM
May 2017
Stupendous beginning episode! Hands, lips and emotions gorgeously animated. Yuki redefines cuteness!

Ajia-do nailed it!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 6, 12:55 PM
Oct 2020
Very good start.
So college setting with a deaf girl? A ROMANCE NOT IN HIGHSCHOOL OMG is JAPAN EVOLVING! Are we finally moving on from highschool romance? Will we get to the next stage? As much as I enjoy highschool romance it would be nice to have other settings.

I REALLY like the 2 leads so far. If this keeps getting better it might beat Dangers in my Heart for romance anime this season.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

195 by brii_23 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
May 11, 7:24 AM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

» SEASON 2???!!

kisaragi_eki - Apr 9

18 by Vicky9anime »»
May 1, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

116 by bucciest »»
Apr 30, 4:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.