Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2023 9:24 AM
Jan 2021
Her backstory felt like a filler addition that added nothing to her character, it wasn’t even memorable. The whole backstory can be summarized to “I grew up in a village, I had a friend, I moved to Tokyo, the end.”
I’m not trying to hate but I seriously don’t see what it adds to her character and I find it hard to make a connection with anything that was happening in the jujutsu world. Really boring backstory in my opinion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 1, 2023 9:25 AM

Jan 2009
lol i was confused too when i first read about it like i keep trying to find some hidden message on it but nope
Dec 1, 2023 9:29 AM
Aug 2022
I think it was just showing her life flashing before her eyes I don’t think there was much meaning to it, although I could be wrong.
Dec 1, 2023 9:29 AM
Jan 2021
deg said:
lol i was confused too when i first read about it like i keep trying to find some hidden message on it but nope

Same when I was reading the manga I even thought this was a bonus or extra chapter, I really tried to find anything deep about it but nope nothing, and seeing it in the anime really made me understand how useless it was
Dec 1, 2023 9:33 AM
Aug 2021
Are we asking what is the point of a character's backstory if the character is going to die anyways? Or is this about the timing?

Because the first one should be pretty obvious while the second is what is actually questionable
Dec 1, 2023 9:36 AM

Apr 2015
You could say that perhaps Gege plans to bring Nobara back which I honestly would like.
Dec 1, 2023 9:38 AM
Sep 2018
Just a quick death flag and life flashing before her eyes. Not that deep.
Dec 1, 2023 9:38 AM
Jan 2021
Animaticide said:
Are we asking what is the point of a character's backstory if the character is going to die anyways? Or is this about the timing?

Because the first one should be pretty obvious while the second is what is actually questionable

No I am asking what relevance does her backstory do or what depth does her backstory add to her character because usually backstories do a lot for characters. For example you can start liking a villain just because of his backstory
Dec 1, 2023 9:40 AM
Jan 2021
Animaticide said:

No I am asking what relevance does her backstory do or what depth does her backstory add to her character because usually backstories do a lot for characters. For example you can start liking a villain just because of his backstory
Dec 1, 2023 9:42 AM
Aug 2020
Tan_2 said:
Animaticide said:

it's the same as demon slayer and shit like that. character is about to die and the writer didn't bother developing the character organically beforehand so they cram a forced backstory/exposition on them at the very end and then kill them
Dec 1, 2023 9:43 AM
Jul 2023
Tan_2 said:
Her backstory felt like a filler addition that added nothing to her character, it wasn’t even memorable. The whole backstory can be summarized to “I grew up in a village, I had a friend, I moved to Tokyo, the end.”
I’m not trying to hate but I seriously don’t see what it adds to her character and I find it hard to make a connection with anything that was happening in the jujutsu world. Really boring backstory in my opinion.

Yep, it was not done to make you more emotional or to add to her character. It was just her life flashing before her eyes as she remembered her promise. of course it was done to kill time and make hype for next episode but i don't think it was that bad. It showed us more about her previous life
Dec 1, 2023 9:45 AM

Mar 2018
Makes you feel bad when a woman dies without saying au revoir to her girl friends. As a male observer.
Dec 1, 2023 9:47 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
Showing the context behind her line of “there are only so many seats open in my life” back at some point in season 1. Showing what her life looked like before becoming a sorcerer, the lessons she’s learned since then, how she feels about the people currently in her life, showing why she is who she is and what her hopes were for the future/what she strived for, before she was killed. I could get the argument of the placement of that scene being right before she dies being odd, that’s not a rare occurrence but I do wish it happened sooner. There’s definitely reason for the backstory, and is deserved considering her being one of the main trio (or used to be).
Dec 1, 2023 9:48 AM
Aug 2021
Tan_2 said:
Animaticide said:

Oh ok. Then it should be pretty self-explanatory. We had tiny bits of hints in S1 (although excessively discret) about the few people she cared about (a random name here and there and the whole analogy about chairs after she and Itadori murdered the blood-poison brothers), and here, in her dying moments we saw those individuals and their relevance to her. Seemed like a farewell to the character to me, although it could be just manipulatory storytelling since I don't know if she makes it out alive. I guess it would have been clearer if her story pulled harder on the heartstrings, but in the end she had a pretty normal life, all things considered. So...
Dec 1, 2023 9:49 AM

Nov 2021
It means it's final goodbye of Nobara and she won't be coming back.
Dec 1, 2023 9:55 AM
Apr 2020
The guy she was playing Smash with said right at the beginning, "You have to prevent your opponent's ability to recover" and I was really hoping that they were going to reveal another technique she had that would end Mahito, but instead we got this massive disappointment.
Dec 1, 2023 9:56 AM

Jul 2015
Life flashing before the eyes.

Dec 1, 2023 10:00 AM
Jul 2022
Atleast for me, it made Nobara dead more more sad
Dec 1, 2023 10:09 AM

May 2015
Don't care about her backstory that much myself but it's there to more or less make her death more complete. Getting further characterization, introspection, and understanding, so that it closes any lingering plot threads for said character. In Nobara's case, the life in her village is only breifly brought up. So you can think of the whole flashback as her death scene. Death scenes don't typically skip over all of the character drama/thoughts/feelings, right? It's the same concept here.

Dec 1, 2023 10:15 AM

May 2015
Reply to ratliker63
Tan_2 said:
Animaticide said:

it's the same as demon slayer and shit like that. character is about to die and the writer didn't bother developing the character organically beforehand so they cram a forced backstory/exposition on them at the very end and then kill them
@ratliker63 They do explain Nobara's flashback and ideology before this. So it's not quite as egregious as Demon Slayer where it does virtually no character work beforehand. But yea the trope isn't that interesting to me...

Dec 1, 2023 10:24 AM
Apr 2021
It probarbly made her death sadder for most people, but it was also a while ago since we'd seen much of her so they gave us that. Also a bit of a last chance to show us what made her tick.

It probarbly also culminated in showing us the promise she made, but won't be able to keep. I think it was Gojo that said sorcerers always die with regrets, though at least she seemed satisfied.
Dec 1, 2023 10:40 AM
Mar 2023
It symbolizes her life flashing before her eyes, but at the same time it came off as a “you’re supposed cry here” moment. Like, “shes about to die, here’s something to get the emotions going”. Her death would’ve hit the same without the flashback imo. They could’ve easily shown a quick 5 seconds of memories she made in Jujutsu High and that would’ve sufficed.
Dec 1, 2023 10:52 AM

Jul 2023
I think it was just her life flashing before her eyes and remembering everything from her life that she lived because before she died she said to itadori: “tell everyone for me: life wasn’t so bad” so I think she was just remembering everything before she died. But ofc I could be wrong, this is just my thought on this.
Sunii_01Dec 1, 2023 10:59 AM
✧ Sυηιι ✧
Dec 1, 2023 10:53 AM
May 2016
ratliker63 said:
Tan_2 said:

In KnY it is actually well executed and there is a reason for that, but even without that, in KnY these stories add to the characters while here that is the question, what did it add to Nobara?
Dec 1, 2023 10:56 AM
Apr 2022
the backstory was their for us to show the regrets she still had after coming to tokyo.
Dec 1, 2023 11:24 AM
Sep 2023
I’m an anime-only right now so please no spoiler! So from my point of view, which is simply how I interpreted it (I’m in no way saying this is what Gege was trying to do but simply what it did to me), it showed that Nobara had always felt a little out of place in her small village, she didn’t have many friends, she has always been strong willed and she might seem like she isn’t that emotional/attached to people but she just doesn’t really show it (she only shows it mainly when they leave or when she leaves them). Then it switches to her life in Tokyo and we see Yuuji, Megumi, Satoru, Panda, etc, which shows she wasn’t lonely and met new people in her life that she loved and that mattered to her, and she realises she’s had a great life. It also shows the regret of leaving behind the only friend she had left in her small village and the regret of not being able to fulfill her promise of the three of them being reunited. Additionally it was meant (at least to me) to make her death (if she really is dead) more emotional :)
Dec 1, 2023 12:23 PM
Aug 2021
ratliker63 said:
Tan_2 said:

Yeah probably this lol. An attempt to garner more emotional attachment by showing Nobara with her whole future ahead of her. I’m kinda neutral on it. I don’t think it really makes anything that much more emotional, but I don’t hate showing where a character came from. The thing irks me is the timing, but it always does. It’s no different in JJK than it is in a billion other anime.
Dec 1, 2023 2:27 PM

Jan 2021
The backstory just shows that her life in the village was trash, and people were creepy and awful, but she managed to find some good ones in Tokyo, before reflecting on her changed perspective on life before she died. Makes sense, as far as showing her journey and development of her feelings go.
Dec 1, 2023 2:50 PM
Jun 2021
Biisoo said:
You could say that perhaps Gege plans to bring Nobara back which I honestly would like.

I really hope so!!
Dec 1, 2023 3:48 PM
Jul 2021
I know a DS fan ain't talking about character
Dec 1, 2023 4:08 PM
Aug 2019
I think it’s just a way to make you care about her more in the moment.

Ideally, you’d build a character up over time as someone the audience cares for, but she’s mostly been a tag along. So this is their way of making up for it.
Dec 1, 2023 4:15 PM

Feb 2021
JJK (and shounen in general) can't function without flashbacks, otherwise the entire show would consist of them staring at each other while they fight.
Dec 1, 2023 5:07 PM
Jun 2020
Tan_2 said:

Maybe it was to add more drama to her death. I actually skipped the backstory. Seems like a waste of time.
Dec 1, 2023 6:14 PM
Aug 2017
Most responses here seem to struggle with proper interpretation... The OP isn't inquiring about the meaning of the flashback; but the purpose.

OP is correct; the flashback here is utterly pointless and would carry far more impact if she just died, cold-bloodedly, no explanation, no bs, just straight up death.

Dec 1, 2023 6:26 PM
Nov 2022
Seriously ? i think They show us Nobara's Death Better Than Nanami's. by showing Her Incomplete Promise To her friend.
Dec 1, 2023 10:57 PM
Nov 2016
I like backstories as long as they are good and emotional, Naruto is a crappy anime but it has some good things going for it, like the OST which is fucking awesome (the OST in classic Naruto is one of the best OST in the anime industry IMHO) and some backstories which I find pretty good too and they make me emotional as hell, an example is Rock Lee vs Gaara, the backstory of Rock Lee is pretty damn good and emotional and it adds to his character, plus we got the awesome sad OST going in there which make that backstory even better.

In Nobara's case... well, her backstory isn't horrible, that's for sure, but it wasn't good either and didn't add much to her character, it's just a meh or okay-ish backstory to make us feel something for her, she deserved a better backstory.
Dec 2, 2023 1:17 AM
Apr 2021
It’s really just a thing to make you feel for the character.
Dec 2, 2023 1:54 AM

Mar 2023
It wants to get you emotionally invested, so you'll hopefully cry or feel sadder about her death.
Did it work?

For me it didn't, at least
Dec 2, 2023 5:54 AM
Jan 2021
ratliker63 said:
Tan_2 said:

At least with demon slayer there is something deep to learn about those backstory, with the nobara it is litterally useless
Dec 2, 2023 6:59 AM

Apr 2011
Just an uninteresting backstory in a 6/10 battle shonen.
Dec 2, 2023 7:46 AM

May 2014
All these deaths would be so much more impactful if I cared about these characters at all.
Dec 2, 2023 8:31 AM
Oct 2019
Tan_2 said:

Basically “I didn’t have people in my life” to “now I have people in my life” it is very bare bones like the author needed to write something for people to feel anything. Since the character has been treated more like a side than a main.
Dec 2, 2023 10:32 PM

Apr 2021
Tan_2 said:

Saying this with a Tanjiro pfp is wild
Dec 3, 2023 4:32 AM

May 2021
Reply to Phantom_373
I think it was just showing her life flashing before her eyes I don’t think there was much meaning to it, although I could be wrong.
@Phantom_373
It wasnt really from Nobara's persepctive. It was from her friend's persepective. Its mainly just showing Nobara's life from someone else's persective I think.
Dec 3, 2023 5:28 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Question is: why was her flashback told from someone else's perspective? Could've been better if we at least got her internal monologue.
Dec 3, 2023 5:35 AM
Jan 2018
Battle shonen trope
Dec 3, 2023 8:02 AM

Dec 2016
I think it's a life flashing before death, so it was used as a way to give her backstory before we never see her again. Nothing deeper than that.

I'm not complaining after sitting trough pretty much every Demon Slayer villain go trough the same.
Dec 3, 2023 9:29 AM

Apr 2016
idk, it wasn't an interesting backstory, just a normal one.
Dec 3, 2023 9:42 AM

Aug 2019
Just an anime trope of trying to cram character development into a character right before they die, instead of taking the time to plan and organically develop the character backstory into the overall narrative.

Of course, you couldn't do that with Nobara because she was given little to no screentime in Season 2. This isn't really the fault of the studio, but the author.

Dec 3, 2023 10:58 AM

Jul 2010
They did it so we can appreciate nice mountain village. Shots from this village were beautiful to me. I was invested in this backstory and now I want to know more about those two other girls. I didn't believe she would die, I thought she would make Mahito's touch alive and we could see more about village etc later in the anime.

I hope it won't be wasted and in the future episodes some part of plot will relate to this village.

Maybe I feel this way because I like slice of life anime, this village reminded me of Non Non Biyori.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pre_Yum - Oct 19, 2023

409 by protozoa-kun »»
4 hours ago

» What if this anime was animated by ufotable!!! Just imagine the quality 🔥🗿 ( 1 2 )

_SHONENLOVER_ - May 13

59 by Early_Morning »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Nov 16, 2023

614 by Artemis076 »»
Yesterday, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Sep 28, 2023

178 by KokoNikki »»
May 18, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pre_Yum - Dec 28, 2023

542 by mabuchi10 »»
May 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.