Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 3, 2014 5:56 PM

Jan 2014
ITS NOT FUCKING SCHIZOPHRENIA. MY GOD THAT HAS TO DO WITH COMPLETELY SOMETHING ELSE. GOD. WHY NOT MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES -.-

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Feb 3, 2014 6:00 PM

Jan 2014
-Crys said:
WHOA. 3 months time skip? What the hell happened to Tenma, Reichweinn and all the others in three months? I hope it will be explained ore else this series has just lost a 10.

That happened in the past. We already saw what happened to tenma and the rest. Not really a time skip, more like information of what happened to nina during that time

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Mar 15, 2014 7:06 AM

Oct 2013
This is getting very interesting.

May 1, 2014 1:54 AM

Dec 2012
That ending was absolutely mind blowing. The idea that Nina pointing the gun at Johan and shooting him at the start of the series was akin to the god and the demon in the mirror. Still trying to figure out what they're getting at with this whole idea of the twins and there being two Ninas. It's all such an enigma but it's coming together so very carefully.
May 24, 2014 11:09 PM

Apr 2012
Love the dark, psychological children's stories and how it alludes to the personality of Johan. Really adds to the creepy factor of the series.
zzzeallyMay 24, 2014 11:13 PM

Jun 5, 2014 6:55 PM

Feb 2012
Lady_Oum said:
and the awkward story books keep coming.. They can't be really the only key to Johan's messed up personnality.. Can they !

he still was in 511 kinderheim

i didn't really follow the metaphors. but i'm still confused on whether anna was the one taken from the apartment of 3 frogs or if it was johan? i thought at one point johan was left behind but then anna worded it as if she was the one left behind. and the scene of her remembering coming back into a room and seeing herself in first person pov makes me think their thoughts are intermingled? in addition, she remembers being read the books as well as johan (i think). maybe i'm misunderstanding. in any case i have no idea what's happening
Jan 17, 2015 2:29 PM

Nov 2011
This story is weird.

Franz Bonaparta is one of the most twisted minds I've ever encountered in fiction.

I think the mistake here, and the aim of the author, Bonaparta, is to get the reader to somehow relate to the story. It's what makes them so creepy and their message so powerful (and evil). There is double reasoning behind his choice to write "children's books", after all: Children's books like this are known to contain a message, meaning, or exhortation about life, which is what makes people (including adults) attempt to relate the book to themselves in some manner. Also, children are particularly susceptible to this sort of suggestion; it has a teaching or molding effect on them. The meaning of the book is very likely to be accepted by a child as true, which is why these are so dangerous.

Therefore, tackling how this supposedly relates to Johan, Anna, Tenma, or anyone else is a mistake, in my opinion. It's like trying to build a building from the top down. First we need to figure out the meaning behind these stories, and after that we can speculate how this meaning might have affected Johan, Anna, or others. Depending on how Tenma relates to it, at that point we can also speculate what the overall thematic goal of Monster is.

I think the first book is easier to pick apart. I've come up with some meanings, the latter portion of which I believe to be the correct one (meaning the one the show is using). The first interpretation is that greed consumes endlessly; no amount of things will ever satisfy you because you'll just want more things. It's not a bad meaning, but I think it neglects the presence of the devil. A demon or the devil is a powerful depiction of evil, so its inclusion must be important. I think the key here is the end result of both farmers: One wished they had committed the evil act, and one wished they had not, but they both were left in a terrible state. I think this ending implies that it does not matter whether one commits evil or not, that it doesn't change anything. "Both farmers were the same".

Needless to say, I heavily disagree and dislike the book on multiple levels, especially since it was being taught to children, but it continues further.

The second book's meaning seems to open itself to more interpretation, partly because we haven't heard the ending, but are lead to draw our own conclusions. Whether the book itself continues from there or not, I don't know. However, given what we have, here's what I think: The "god of peace" is supposed to be a picture of good or righteousness. However, when it looks at itself, it sees evil. This is implying that good and evil depend only upon perspective, and not upon character, actions, etc., meaning there is no such thing as good and evil in the first place. The "god of peace" and the "devil" are supposedly the same.

Again, I could not disagree more, but such meanings could explain Johan's lack of morals. The thing is, in removing the distinction between good and evil, these books are promoting evil. They are drawing the children toward it, as if it were okay. I think this is partly why Johan self-identified with the Monster in "The Monster Without a Name". His natural inhibitions were being suppressed by the other books. That he had a twin he could view as his "good half", or an extension of himself, only made matters worse and pushed him into further darkness.

I noticed someone mention multiple personality disorder before, and I mentioned before that the story could also be implying something more literal with all the talk of monsters and devils (and the Biblical quote at the beginning of the series). I think this could still be viewed in either manner if we assume Franz Bonaparta had the same problem as Johan. In removing Johan's natural inhibitions, he passed on his demons to his son, whether you see that as being figurative or literal.

What a disturbing story Monster is.

Edit: Oh yeah, because I was so busy talking about the story, I almost forgot to mention how amazing the OST in Monster is. Particularly that scene where Anna is about to open the door in the Red Rose Mansion was given a lot of intensity thanks to the OST, though the rest of the episode also showcases it well.
TripleSRankJan 17, 2015 2:48 PM
Apr 2, 2015 1:28 PM
Nov 2014
That picture story books is just creepy as hell.

Ending is sick.
Apr 20, 2015 12:47 PM

May 2014
I really enjoy the drastic change in animation when they start the picture books.

Also, 3 MONTHS?! What happened to Tenma, or Evan or Lunge?! What is happening?!

Plus, Johan burned down the only lead that we had. Good thing Lunge already took that note behind the picture with him.

Looks like the next episode is finally going to explain that fateful night. I've been waiting for a long time.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Aug 10, 2015 6:41 AM

Nov 2014
WTF is wrong with these children's books.
"Purtroppo non si può tornare nel passato, devi fartene una ragione. Anche se è stato il periodo più bello della nostra vita.. il passato è passato." (Eikichi Onizuka
Aug 15, 2015 10:14 AM

Jul 2014
I love how every character's subplot is starting to come together.

5/5
Sep 2, 2015 11:26 PM

Dec 2013
That was a surprising timeskip. Ending was pretty interesting.
Sep 13, 2015 10:26 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was mind-blowing. Franz Bonaparta must've been an incredibly twisted person to write those picture books. You can see how much they've affected Anna.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 26, 2015 1:08 AM
Sep 2015
Make a deal with the demon, you lose.
Don't make a deal with the demon, you lose.
What a great story...
Oct 24, 2015 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
Damn, so good.
I still can't grasp what is really going on, but I'm super hooked.
Jan 25, 2016 11:54 PM

May 2014
My view on picture books is altering because of this anime lol
Mar 9, 2016 8:52 AM

Dec 2015
This episode was satisfying. I hope I'm keeping up though.
It's not multiple personalities. It's Johan and Anna.
There is very little meaning in shooting the mirror though, and that's why Anna knows.
I don't know why the picture books inspired darkness in the 'superior' children though. Removing the distinction between good and evil should as likely inspire good as evil. If anything, they should create a more deterministic view of the world in the children.

Did anybody else notice that the room in the Red Rose Mansion didn't have Anna's portrait in the flashback of poisoned people? It had the picture of a flower vase.

If I'm right, the graffiti on a street that Nina walked by, 'Sie unseres gejohle?' should be German. Google Translate wasn't very helpul. Can anybody translate that?
ObliviousOkapiMar 11, 2016 4:32 AM
Jun 5, 2016 3:38 PM

Feb 2013
Nina found the mansion and collapsed!
She was lucky that she was found by someone, who happens to be a former student of Franz Bonaparta, if you can call someone who goes to listen to stories a student in the first place.
Johan is back and playing with fire again.
Jul 12, 2016 1:09 PM
Oct 2012
Wow, best looking episodes yet. This anime has great depictions of Europe and warm moods, but it looked kinda old and dusty. Now, it look more modern.
Jul 17, 2016 5:17 AM

Aug 2014
These short stories adds to the quality of the anime in terms of art, i like them.
Next episode is going to reveal important stuff.
Great Episode.
I miss Grimmer.
Oct 24, 2016 6:58 AM

Jan 2016
3 months passed WUT!!
Jun 14, 2017 9:37 PM

May 2015
I never pointed this out but Anna & Johan's mother look sad AF in her painting/portrait... 3 months have passed away since Anna/Nina relapsed? That means that the three months she spent recuperating Tenma was detained and trying to save Eva (past episodes)...?

Ona side note:
Those picture books are depressing AF… it is no wonder why Johan and other kids ended up Insane in the membrane...
Jun 18, 2017 7:50 PM

Oct 2012
So you're saying Johan become like that because of those picture books?
Well partly I guess
"Signature removed"
Jan 2, 2019 12:28 PM

Nov 2016
Bonaparta is indeed the real Monster in this captivating story.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 14, 2019 8:53 AM
Feb 2019
Maybe kami-sama is Johan who just never finds peace for his name.So he ends up becoming the devil everytime he realises that he is Johan and on realising this very fact he asks his sister to shoot him and bring an end to his misfortunes.In the end he is just lonely inside .
NiofcFeb 14, 2019 8:59 AM
Feb 19, 2019 2:54 PM
Apr 2016
This episode was a little disturbing for me, not gonna lie... Very good episode, a lot happened.
Jun 6, 2019 8:08 PM
Apr 2018
For a while, I thought the one lying in bed was Johan. It surprised me that it was in fact Nina and that she had been there for three months (!?). Not gonna lie, I found the timeskip kinda dumb, not very logical I guess.
Sep 6, 2019 2:00 PM

Apr 2017
SaiDrew said:
For a while, I thought the one lying in bed was Johan. It surprised me that it was in fact Nina and that she had been there for three months (!?). Not gonna lie, I found the timeskip kinda dumb, not very logical I guess.

Right? She needed 3 months to get over fainting because she was overwhelmed? From the way he talked to her, I assumed it must've been a few hours since he found her and Dieter. Wonder how he's connected to 511 Kinderheim, my guess is that he was part of a previous generation of kids, before Johan and Anna.

Nice to see more of the picture books. I think it's fairly clear that the stories weren't what drove the kids to be mindless sociopaths in some weird occult way, but rather tools to supplement whatever "education" they were subjected to at 511 Kinderheim, since fairytales are easier for kids to digest. They all seem to have this running theme of "everything is pointless, so might as well die", like Johan said when he brainwashed that kid who almost killed himself.
Nov 15, 2019 8:22 AM

Dec 2018
I still think that Johan's mother is alive somewhere...

Nina: The god pointed a gun at his forehead.
Go home Nina, you're drunk. I thought the god would take back Johan's name.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Oct 12, 2020 1:42 PM

Dec 2007
so while nina is in journey to find her lost memories she passed out, and find herself in the house of student that have all klaus books? ok.

loved tenma saying "this journey should have ended".

and johan burning the mansion, probably have more than couple of meanings.
Nov 16, 2020 10:25 PM

Aug 2018
That was mindblowing timeskip, the picture book is just creepy as hell.
Dec 23, 2020 8:22 PM

Jul 2020
I don't like the story book scenes, but whatev. Noooo Johan was the best trap T_T
Mar 1, 2021 8:30 PM

Jun 2020
Hearing Johan's voice in Nina's look is still weird

So do we finally know what that cut of the OP where a guy sticks his hand out comes from?

And I'm still having a little bit of trouble figuring out the significance of all the stories. Are they all analogies of Tenma saving Johan then going after him?
Jun 20, 2021 8:35 PM

Jan 2020
Giving someone food is always wholesome lmao.

The visuals were fantastic this episode with the whole anna part + that picture book telling with the unusual visuals again. I loved that part

Jun 23, 2021 8:07 PM

Jul 2020
Johan burning the mansion is for getting rid of the past and his background that's for sure. and we've got Nina in this episode lol at the 3months time skip. hope the man who took care of her was a good person.
Jun 30, 2021 11:45 AM

Jan 2021
I can tell I will have nightmares tonight.
Sep 14, 2021 2:34 PM

Mar 2021
i'm getting more confused the more i watch
Oct 13, 2021 2:14 PM

Jul 2015
I guess I'll only let my kids play videogames instead of reading picturebooks seeing how psycho Johan turned out by taking the stories on demons literally.

Its interesting to realise that the apple didn't fall far from the tree as the author guy (hinted to be the twins dad) goes by multiple names just like Johan in the Kinderheim tape refers to himself by multiple names taken from the picture books (Hans, Otto, etc)

Nov 30, 2021 10:48 AM
Nov 2020
This is a hella deep episode...
Jan 11, 2022 9:30 PM

Jul 2016
3 months to recover from fainting? Wonder if the obsessed dude did something to Anna.

Also not gonna lie, Anna's memories and different POVs are confusing the shit out of me.
Apr 23, 2022 12:05 AM

Feb 2012
I wonder why many people are confused watching this.

There's no time skip, you all know that Lunge, Grimmer, Tenma and Nina were all in Prague. That fainting of Nina happened at the same time Tenma was in Prague, meaning when he was still not in prison. So we already saw what transpired in three months. The time skip just explain Nina's whereabouts. Sheesh.
May 16, 2022 8:37 AM

Feb 2021
Those picture books are really creative. Whoever wrote them is smart
Nov 23, 2022 9:31 PM
Dec 2021
One of the greatest episodes I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant.
Jan 16, 2023 5:32 AM
May 2020
the god of peace and the devil... anna and johan
Jan 16, 2023 2:11 PM

Mar 2021
Very interesting episode! I love the picture books, even though I probably don't understand them lol.

Lots of Johan in this episode... considering how rarely he appears

I am confused by the timeline here so I hope I'll get it once we get back to Tenma and the others.

Jan 23, 2023 10:26 AM
Oct 2019
Anna found the the rose mansion. Also Johan.

Anna now remembered a lot of the stories from Franz Bonaparta. All of them are so scary I think.

Well Johan burned it all down now. He burned the rose mansion down.
Feb 13, 2023 1:40 PM
Sep 2007
The Red Rose Mansion... Whatever happend there, it was traumatising enough for Nina to collapse in fear.

Seems like this place may be even worse than Kinderheim 511...

BTW the story about boy saving and then hunting the demon looks suspiciously similar to Tenma and Johan's story... Coincidence?
Feb 15, 2023 10:00 PM
Jun 2020
this was a weird episode that didn't really give much to the actual plot.
1) can nina stop fainting ok sure shock whatever but it's getting annoying how a strong woman fainted TWICE in ONE episode.
2) who the hell is this old ass man mr. lipsky and why did nina and dieter trust him, a random ass old man
3) why is nina suddenly telling personal things to a stranger and why does the stranger know did nina will find her memories in the house
4) i thought the episode was getting interesting when nina showed up and i thought it was her mother but it was just her -_-
5) WHY in the world was nina in bedrest for 3 whole months??? lmao??? gurl were you in a coma for 3 months? actually crazy timeskip for no reason.
6) what happened to tenma in those three months before the house was burned? did it take 3 months for him to get the letter from johan and find the house?
7) dieter is getting more and more annoying and useless each episode. he just made some happy memories for some random man so what
8) i don't really care for the picture books sure it's a bit interesting but i would rather not watch it. not even creepy, it's just not that interesting. yes it's basically johan and tenma's journey so what. i don't understand how others can find it disturbing or creepy this episode was boring
i honestly am just finishing this anime as i've read that the ending is great but i am preparing myself for disappointment as i was with devilman crybaby, a big waste of time.

edi: saw the comment that said this is in the past and just seeing where nina is so tenma was still in jail at this time so tenma wasn't in jail yet at this time idek but anyway. 
umaruchan26Feb 15, 2023 10:10 PM
Apr 7, 2023 4:06 AM

Aug 2019
Imma need Johan to enlighten me with what he understands lmao
Apr 29, 2023 5:13 PM
Jul 2022
i fucking love johan liebert
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.