Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 15, 2008 1:25 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, since Nina collapsed at the mansion, 3 months have passed? Whoa, Nina sure takes time to recover =P
I still wonder why Johan burned the mansion down.
Apr 21, 2008 2:20 AM

Feb 2008
SO THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED?! I'm confused in that, so 3 months had passed, eh?! And that dead bodies are really real, I thought it was a flashback scene!
Jul 22, 2008 7:48 PM
Jul 2008
Three months was way too long, the events seemed to happen on a daily basis.
Aug 5, 2008 9:37 PM

Sep 2007
Those picture books are messed up.
Aug 26, 2008 9:28 PM

Jun 2008
naikou said:
Those picture books are messed up.

lol yeah
Dec 28, 2008 9:11 PM

Jun 2008
wow what a twisted guy. i wonder what fucked him up to make him want to make his kid a "demon"
Mar 17, 2009 7:47 AM

Nov 2008
Epic episode is epic.And I'll keep in mind to NEVER ever buy a picture children book from Czechoslovakia XDD
Mar 20, 2009 3:42 PM

Feb 2009
I wonder if the demon in the mirror is the mother, forcing her child to act on her hatred. The god of peace is how Johan is seen by Klaus Poppe; the demon how his mother sees him.

Or, if the god of peace is Tenma, who fights with the idea of killing evil for greater good.
Apr 5, 2009 7:01 AM

Jul 2008
No more lady Johan it seems.
Apr 30, 2009 5:18 AM

Apr 2009
To many episodes for a day X_X

yuzuru19, you have a good point xD

Hmmm... What will Johan do when he wount have any past?.. The only one he must kill then is himself...
Jun 15, 2009 1:16 AM

Oct 2008
How can someone hate this episode? I find those picture books really intriguing. After hearing several of those children's stories in this series, I've become interested in finding out and reading more of them.
Jul 25, 2009 12:14 PM

Feb 2009
I wonder what Bonaparta did to Johan to make him live the same way as the demons from the picture books. It's like Johan's life has been written for him before. He's like a programed child or something.

Aug 10, 2009 8:27 PM

Jan 2009
Now that I think about it... Nina could be Johann, but then again, it doesn't make any fucking sense.

Thats just me anyway. Lets see whats next.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 14, 2009 9:13 AM

Jul 2009
Those picture books were written by the Czech version of Tim Burton XD
Aug 19, 2009 2:30 AM
Jun 2009
God damn that was creepy.
Dec 2, 2009 12:37 AM

Apr 2009
just how messed up must be the man to write these "children books" and read them to the childrens ...
no wonder why johan and other kids as well end up that way...

and it's seems that everyone is headed to the red rose mansion
Feb 12, 2010 1:09 PM

Sep 2009
The last book he read is probably about Johan realizing who he is. I still am not convinced that he is really a schizophrenic, but I think that Johan's good side he thinks of is Anna. The scene with Johan asking Anna to shoot him in Dusseldorf kind of proves it.

But overall, everything got so messed up that even I can't span all of those events and make a conclusion. It's just too much. Or I would have to write a 2000 word essay on that (which I will in a review when I'll finish Monster).

This guy seems to be someone related to Johan a lot. I mean, why was he being taught in Bonaparta's mansion? His parents would not have let him go there. Unless he was one of the experimental children taken care of by Bonaparta. Similar to 511 Kinderheim.

And Johan was only looking to regain his memory all this time. That was probably his main goal. The memory loss can probably be due to few reasons. First, it was taken away by Bonaparta's experiments. Second, it was taken away in Kinderheim 511, we learned from Grimmer, that they were erasing memories there. And third, the head trauma caused him amnesia.
No sig :(
May 29, 2010 9:55 PM

Sep 2008
That puppet lose better not have done anything to Mamiko Noto, or I'm going to kill someone! Glad to see she's back though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2010 8:30 AM

May 2010
The missing pieces of this puzzle are starting to show up..

All I can say,

children's books are quite pyschological that sometimes, will mess your head up.. lol
Oct 19, 2010 12:22 AM

Jun 2009
There are a lot of double meanings in this episode and, frankly, I don't think I understand them all. They are very delicious though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2010 12:53 PM

Mar 2010
So nina considers herself the one in the mirror sense she said, he points the gun to his forehead,

Also the stories are soo amzing and interesting i wanna read those stories

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 10, 2010 8:16 PM
Nov 2009
I am you and you are me. i need to my hands on one of those books ;d
Dec 10, 2010 11:06 PM

Apr 2009
Zell182 said:
Those picture books were written by the Czech version of Tim Burton XD

Or by less twisted version of Jan Svankmajer :3
Dec 19, 2010 6:54 AM

Sep 2009
I hoped Johann's mother'd burst into the room and yell at him for pouring gasline on the floor and igniting it...
Mar 16, 2011 3:01 PM
Jun 2010
wow this episode was messed up big time!
May 18, 2011 5:47 AM

Oct 2008
Wow.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 15, 2011 8:04 AM
May 2011
WHOA. 3 months time skip? What the hell happened to Tenma, Reichweinn and all the others in three months? I hope it will be explained ore else this series has just lost a 10.
Rating things is overrated.
Nov 28, 2011 9:06 PM

Jul 2009
"The Big Eyed Man and the Big Mouthed Man" by Klaus Poppe
The moral of the story is you're are screw either way, whether or not you make a deal with the demon.

"The nameless monster" (listen in ep 37) is very interesting.
1sttimerDec 1, 2011 8:27 AM
I invite you to answer some questions on my profile.

Dec 17, 2011 11:18 PM

Oct 2011
i LOVE the other picture books! i would buy them all too like the puppet guy~~
Dec 23, 2011 9:36 PM

Apr 2010
talk about a giant confusing mess, not to say it wasn't interesting... but that was quite a lot to take down over one episode -_-

definitely looking forward to the next episode
Mar 11, 2012 12:52 AM

Mar 2009
Those picture books were intriguing.
Mar 19, 2012 8:51 AM

Mar 2010
wtf 3 months LOL
Jun 11, 2012 4:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I think the three months are meant to be the where Tenma is captured and escaping. Otherwise it's pretty evident that Nina would have gone back to Germany to try to talk to Tenma.

The picture books add a delicious creepiness to the series that is really hard to describe. I wonder what they are based on.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 25, 2012 7:56 PM

Nov 2009
Oh My God that was one of the creepiest episodes I have seen. Also the whole three month's thing is a tad bit odd, Nina passes out and is still shaken by the events three months later. Anyways creepy episode and really can't wait to see whats next.
Dec 19, 2012 3:58 PM

Feb 2012
Awesome episode.

Tenma just reading those Friz father's note and finally get's a drive some old man. And he even gets bread or was it hamburger haha. And it seems there was some with Bonaparta who meet with this guy in the Red Mansion. And children were afraid of him.

Also Reinchwield and Friz conversation before they went to Red Mansion was nice that Friz told Reinchwield what those notes mean. That basically they were a location to Red Roses Mansion. And Reinchwield also apologize for blaming Friz and I think their bonds got even better here. Nicely character development.

Also Nina still seemed remembering those events in her past. What happened in there. I really have to say that Red Rose Mansion is kind of scary place. Also atmosphere when Nina and Dieter where in that mansion was created nicely. So Nina collapsed after seeing those 20 people in down. Again another timeskip this time it's 3 months man I wanna know what happened in those other months. But yeah this Liptim guy seems really strange and important character because he was one who were in the meeting with Bonaparte. And maybe children were afraid of him.

So those picture book this guy Liptim read was basically telling story of Anna and Johan in them. Man I really have to say Franz Bonaparte was intelligent man. To think story like that. So Johan's goal was only to find Red Rose Mansion and get his memories back. And his amnesia was due to Dusseldorf operating head injury and 2 other was Bonaparta's experiments. And memory erasing in Kinderheim 511.
5/5
Jan 29, 2013 2:40 PM

Jan 2012
Damn, this was complicated. I'm starting to loose track.

Feb 27, 2013 9:19 PM
Aug 2011
Johan your weave is on fire.

3 months is way too long.
Mar 5, 2013 5:05 PM

Aug 2010
Shinryuken said:
wtf 3 months LOL

Didnt even realize there was a time skip...
Apr 13, 2013 10:07 PM

Jun 2012
-Crys said:
WHOA. 3 months time skip? What the hell happened to Tenma, Reichweinn and all the others in three months? I hope it will be explained ore else this series has just lost a 10.

I'm almost completely 100% certain that time jumped backwards 3 months to when we had just gotten through watching Nina enter the Three Frogs. She then continued searching the area to try and remember what it was all about, then collapsed when she opened the door in the Red Rose Mansion. She is found and taken to a hospital by the puppet guy, and then time skips forward 3 months to where we were at in the story. She's probably headed to the Red Rose Mansion for a second time where she will likely meet up with Tenma and everyone else, and it's anybodies guess what happens after that.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Apr 28, 2013 2:22 PM

Apr 2013
What's with those sick picture books?
I bet Johans parents where demons.
May 8, 2013 7:53 AM

Oct 2012
Arachneia said:
I wonder if the demon in the mirror is the mother, forcing her child to act on her hatred. The god of peace is how Johan is seen by Klaus Poppe; the demon how his mother sees him.

I think that Hans, Otto and Johan were split personalities of him, and after looking to the mirror, Johan (devil) prevailed. At least it seems to be that way, it could be right.
Schizophrenia seem to be hereditable, he got it from his father (Franz Bonaparte, Emil Sebe, Klaus Poppe - those were his split personalities)
Jun 30, 2013 11:39 PM

Feb 2012
So huh. If you want to kill your reflection, you should point a gun at yourself rather than at your reflection. Putting a bullet in your head forces your reflection to follow suit, but firing directly at your reflection just shatters the glass between you. Fascinating implications!

(Maybe not implications for Monster specifically, but it gave me a devilish idea for a story.)
CuriousThingJul 1, 2013 8:53 AM
Aug 9, 2013 5:40 PM

May 2013
and the awkward story books keep coming.. They can't be really the only key to Johan's messed up personnality.. Can they !

And this is a little irrelevant, but why is Dieter still around, I feel it's wrong to keep dragging him around in this mess, he should've stayed at that village -.-
Aug 22, 2013 7:54 AM
May 2012
My head is going to explode thinking of all of the possible outcome and what ifs I guess I'll just see what's next instead of predicting what would happen if or what will happen and those picture books are fascinating.
Nov 2, 2013 11:48 PM

Jul 2009
wow lots of stories in just one episode!!

the driver seems nice to Tenma ^^

first off, i thought Vardemann would leave Tenma and enjoy his life with his wife.

seems he and Dr. Reichwein are gonna follow him huh?

and wtf, Vardemann memorized the notes!

Anna's memories are slowly returning!!

so the killings in the mansion was due to the poison set up by Anna herself? O___O

Lipsyk seems nice, glad he didn't do anything with Nina and all.

so he is indeed one of the children in the Red Rose mansion.

guess he didn't meet their expectations huh?

and what the hell 3 month skip? it took Johan that long to get there? and where the hell is Tenma?

what about Eva? or even Lunge? are you telling me Lunge stop coming back to the mansion out of a sudden?

i also don't get in the last episodes where Tenma was already in Parague and he was captured and went long way till he escaped

so he basically came back just for the mansion?

it does make sense he went to hiding for 3 months before reaching there.

but what about Johan? what took him so long? i wonder if Eva is still alive?!?! :(

though Lunge needs an explanation ASAP!

The Man with Big Eyes, THe Man with Big Mouth book was scary as hell!!

even the drawings are disturbing!

The God of Peace was definitely one of the most disturbing and all.

could be a prequel since in the Monster without a Name book, he was the son of the King who made a deal with the devil.

i have a feeling he lost his memories and was put back to the world as a child, and then became another monster once again.

and yeah, when i heard Otto, Hans, Thomas, it was basically Johan's other names from the tape.

though at first i thought it was Grimmer with Hans :P

wow the God of Peace became a demon because Johan tricked him to it?

i wonder why Johan burned the mansion?

so Johan and Anna are really one person? i wonder what will happen if the other one dies?

but Anna was pretty determine to kill Johan in the library incident.

so many questions!!

man we're getting close!!!

can't wait for more!
Nov 2, 2013 11:58 PM

Jun 2012
PrinceHeir said:
Please avoid using line breaks after EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE. Especially when your sentences are banal and add absolutely nothing to your post, such as:

PrinceHeir said:
so many questions!!

can't wait for more!

Come on... You don't need five lines of text for those four word sentences. Seriously.
Nov 3, 2013 12:28 AM

Jul 2009
Laraso said:
PrinceHeir said:
Please avoid using line breaks after EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE. Especially when your sentences are banal and add absolutely nothing to your post, such as:

PrinceHeir said:
so many questions!!

can't wait for more!

Come on... You don't need five lines of text for those four word sentences. Seriously.

so why do you care? this is how i write in the net. nobody asked you to reply here.

if you don't like it then get the fuck off.
Nov 4, 2013 7:03 AM
Feb 2011
Outstanding episode! The animation was great and the soundtrack was perfectly subtle yet so powerful. And to top it off Johan finally ditched his crossdressing getup. I love how the picture storybooks were juxtaposed with the plot. Creepy on so many levels.
Nov 6, 2013 12:14 AM

Jun 2012
PrinceHeir said:
so why do you care? this is how i write in the net. nobody asked you to reply here.

if you don't like it then get the fuck off.

I care because it's terrible forum etiquette and your post takes up a very large amount of space on this page when in reality you really didn't say much at all. If you had avoided using excessive line breaks, I wouldn't have said anything.

That is indeed how you "write in the net". Just because you like to write that way doesn't mean that it's acceptable to write like that anywhere on the internet. This isn't your profile bio, nor is this a blog post; this is a public discussion forum.

Nobody asked me to reply, that's true. Nobody asked you to reply either, because that's simply not how a forum works; I don't need to get your permission to reply to your post.

You don't own the internet, so you can't tell me to leave. It doesn't work that way. If I don't like it, I'll tell you I don't like it. However, the great thing about this is that it works both ways! If you don't want to listen to me, and you want to continue taking up space,

you can ignore me

and continue putting line breaks

after every few words.
Dec 31, 2013 2:24 AM

Sep 2011
Nina freaking out all over the place.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.