Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2023 10:56 PM

Jun 2017
Just saw it on Adult Swim, hope everyone else enjoyed!
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 1, 2023 1:15 AM

Oct 2012
Definitely enjoyed this first episode more than the others.
Oct 1, 2023 7:51 AM

May 2020
It was ok. I didn't enjoy this as much as the first episode of Grunge, but Grunge turned out to be pretty bad so maybe that's a good sign.
Oct 1, 2023 11:19 AM

Mar 2013
Well, this definitely has my attention! I wasn't expecting it to be a direct follow up to Alternative, and the setup is at least somewhat different than previous seasons.
Oct 1, 2023 12:09 PM

Oct 2019
Digging the pillows. But so many questions. Quite intriqued on this stuff. And it seems to be a sequel to alternative with the MC appearing older.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 1, 2023 12:49 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Decent start to Shoegaze, looks like its going to be another coming of age love story. I also wasn't expecting Shoegaze to connected to Alternative which I liked over Progressive.
AddaeAkonoOct 1, 2023 12:54 PM
Oct 1, 2023 1:38 PM
Dec 2019
OK, this is a lot.

1. The giant bird on the tower is showing pictures from previous FLCL seasons, notable FLCL, FLCL Alternative, and FLCL Progressive. That also means this is the first time we've seen Naota in any shape or form in 8 years.
2. This is very clearly taking place in the same universe as FLCL Alternative, but 10 years later. You can see pictures of old buildings in the tower, and Kana Koumoto knows that secret agents have been keeping tabs on her for 10 years.
3. Kana and Tabata Kanda are the first two characters to appear in the flesh in a second season of FLCL, excluding Haruko.
4. That's one of Haruko's guitars that falls out of the sky.
5. Official closed captions confirm that it's Atomsk's voice that's speaking to Masaki.
6. Haruko is nowhere to be found outside of her guitar and Kana alluding to her.
7. Kana drives a Honda e. I believe Honda also had involvement with Shoegaze, not just Grunge.

I don't think I'll have any solid opinions on the show until it's over, but I am nervous yet excited.
Oct 1, 2023 3:19 PM
Jul 2017
flcl is when main character drinks something he doesnt want, flcl is when someone has X plaster on forehead, flcl is when sexualization bringing nothing to the plot.
character opening line do you want to drink my pee, simply cuts short any intrest
biggest wimp MC i have ever seen, tough watch
Oct 2, 2023 9:36 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to ArkNagusame
OK, this is a lot.

1. The giant bird on the tower is showing pictures from previous FLCL seasons, notable FLCL, FLCL Alternative, and FLCL Progressive. That also means this is the first time we've seen Naota in any shape or form in 8 years.
2. This is very clearly taking place in the same universe as FLCL Alternative, but 10 years later. You can see pictures of old buildings in the tower, and Kana Koumoto knows that secret agents have been keeping tabs on her for 10 years.
3. Kana and Tabata Kanda are the first two characters to appear in the flesh in a second season of FLCL, excluding Haruko.
4. That's one of Haruko's guitars that falls out of the sky.
5. Official closed captions confirm that it's Atomsk's voice that's speaking to Masaki.
6. Haruko is nowhere to be found outside of her guitar and Kana alluding to her.
7. Kana drives a Honda e. I believe Honda also had involvement with Shoegaze, not just Grunge.

I don't think I'll have any solid opinions on the show until it's over, but I am nervous yet excited.
ArkNagusame said:

Eh, Naota also appeared in flashes in Alternative, during the final episode.
Oct 2, 2023 12:22 PM
Sep 2023
Yay! This one has everything that Grunge lacked. I’m excited!!
Oct 2, 2023 12:24 PM
Sep 2023
It seem like a prequel, btw. Am I wrong?
Oct 2, 2023 2:19 PM
Oct 2021
It is okayish. I am gonna give this the 3 episodes test

/s
Oct 2, 2023 4:26 PM

Apr 2019
nowuz said:
It seem like a prequel, btw. Am I wrong?

This takes place 10 years after Alternative.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Oct 2, 2023 4:39 PM
Sep 2023
To me the original is the center point. So,yes, a prequel to the original. Thanks, that gives me context for wtf alternative was about.
Oct 2, 2023 10:42 PM
Jan 2020
nah grunge is actual dogshit but this is actually pretty good, why the fuck is this only 3 episodes
Oct 2, 2023 11:00 PM

Mar 2019
I liked Grunge as a whole waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than this first episode. This kinda sucked tbh... But it's only the first episode, and Grunge had a weaker first episode too.

This was less like the original FLCL (which I felt Grunge was close to) and more like Alternative (understandable given it's a sequel) which is my least favorite of all the FLCL shows.
Oct 4, 2023 12:44 AM
Dec 2019
Reply to Ionliosite2
ArkNagusame said:

Ionliosite2 said:
Thanks for the correction, that would make it about 5 years.
Oct 6, 2023 10:27 AM

Aug 2013
Adventure.

Really though, it seems the MC is just misattributing his feelings, in the end it all worked out anyway.

So the MC is some kind off mecha? Looking forward to the next episode.

Felt like the audio the entire time was off somehow.
Oct 7, 2023 4:53 PM

Aug 2008
Reply to Limi
Adventure.

Really though, it seems the MC is just misattributing his feelings, in the end it all worked out anyway.

So the MC is some kind off mecha? Looking forward to the next episode.

Felt like the audio the entire time was off somehow.
@Limi About the audio, was it the Japanese or English version you were referring to?

I watched to English dub and did think the audio mixing could have been better with the music being a bit loud vs. the dub cast. For instance Jesse Nowack's performance as Masaki since his voice is a bit quiet and rough at times. He did a fine job for his biggest anime role yet though in my opinion.
Oct 9, 2023 12:42 AM

Apr 2019
Yooooo I'm just in awe at this episode.

So this appears to be a direct sequel to Alternative taking place ten years after, which is insane cause that has never happened till now. I mean there are flashbacks from the original that appear Alternative, Haruko showing up in the evrything till now, and just recently (that I didn't mention in my post in the Grunge discussion board) Amarao shoing up in Grunge. But not only does the big pink bird (Atomsk) show images of the other FLCLs, fucking Kana Koumoto herself is here and is working with Kanda. Which is just insane to me. Also a little sad to see that Kana isn't wearing Pets' hairpin. I mean sure, it's been ten years but it would've been nice ya knwo? Also wonder if we'll see any more characters from Alternative or prior FLCLs.

I'm very excited to see how this plays out. Now I really liked Alternative and I feel like that's automatically making me like this way more than I should as of now, but I'm really digging it so far. Masaki is a pretty interesting MC with being able to see these ghost blob dudes, and Harumi is eerily similar to Haruko which I'm sure there's some relation to.

Also I didn't mention this in the Grunge discussion whatsoever, but The Pillows man. What an incredible band. the soundtrack for this episode was fantastic and their ED song is amazing as well; not to mention the visuals too.

This cracked me up not gonna lie.

arcticmontysOct 9, 2023 11:24 AM
Oct 9, 2023 4:51 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to ArcadiaInferno
@Limi About the audio, was it the Japanese or English version you were referring to?

I watched to English dub and did think the audio mixing could have been better with the music being a bit loud vs. the dub cast. For instance Jesse Nowack's performance as Masaki since his voice is a bit quiet and rough at times. He did a fine job for his biggest anime role yet though in my opinion.
@ArcadiaInferno the Japanese version. Not fond of dubs mostly, as imo they usually don't convey the setting/emotions that well
Oct 9, 2023 9:22 AM

Jan 2021
This is what I wanted from another FLCL series!
Oct 12, 2023 5:34 AM
May 2017
poemofdevil said:
I liked Grunge as a whole waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than this first episode. This kinda sucked tbh... But it's only the first episode, and Grunge had a weaker first episode too.

This was less like the original FLCL (which I felt Grunge was close to) and more like Alternative (understandable given it's a sequel) which is my least favorite of all the FLCL shows.

But the premise is way better than the whole Grunge series
Oct 23, 2023 9:38 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I did not feel this in the slightest. And this is me coming off of Gurenge, you'd thing the show rated the highest would pop off more, but that was not the case.
Nov 1, 2023 5:08 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice first episode, although the best was the music!
Well, strange creatures and more strange girl!!!
kekeke
Nov 4, 2023 6:55 AM

Nov 2010
Drinking pee is bad for the kidney, but for someone as pretty as Harumi, I wouldn't mind doing it just once! I'll even make her sweat and lick every inch of her body, especially her armpits, her sour buttcrack, and butthole! Just thinking about it gave me a boner. Haha!

Oh! Tsukata and Kana. They've gotten older since Alternative. Interesting.
I've seen that Sampuru food since I was young. TIL they are called that. Haha!
I just realized those random scenes inside the ghosts are all from Alternative.
OST is excellent, as always!
Dec 30, 2023 6:39 AM
Oct 2021
I like the approach so far but it feels way too similar to the OG. I mean if you're going to create new characters don't base their personalities of an already loved one in the same series. At this point, everything feels like recycling ngl

More topics from this board

Poll: » FLCL: Shoegaze Episode 3 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Oct 14, 2023

30 by asbest0sdust »»
Jan 25, 11:00 PM

» Adult Swim says no more FLCL anime in the works

deg - Oct 13, 2023

12 by HibiChika »»
Jan 23, 2:51 PM

» FLCL's sequel approach is okay for what it is.

Wiziliz - Mar 18, 2022

17 by Francis_0 »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » FLCL: Shoegaze Episode 2 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Oct 7, 2023

18 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 14, 2023 4:29 AM

» Is it me or does this one actually look decent?

JoestarEISH_020 - Sep 27, 2023

2 by removed-user »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.